View Full Version : How do I stop binge eating and eating crap??

Fuzzy12
08-29-17, 04:26 PM
It's been a year now and I really need to stop. I've put on so much weight that my feet hurt when walking. I'm really starting to worry about diabetes and other health problems. I need to get a hold on my eating but nothing seems to be working.

I used to binge when I was depressed or had other negative emotions but now I'm fine but still can't stop eating. I'm tired and don't get much sleep but even that doesn't explain the huge amount of food I eat.

It has to stop. But how???

(Please keep in mind that I've got no will power....)

(Ive also got no time and very little energy)

aeon
08-29-17, 04:56 PM
Lack of adequate sleep will result in binge/mindless eating for many people.

As is par for the course, it comes down to what you really want.

If you want to stop binge eating and eating crap, stop.

If you want to put on more weight, cause osteoarthritis, experience metabolic syndrome, develop insulin resistance, increase your risk of a heart attack or stroke, come to have diabetes, damage your kidneys, experience neuropathy, lose your eyesight, have a foot or leg amputated, and die before Fuzzling reaches the majority, don’t change a thing.

Yes, that was a bit brutal, and I intended that, because I want to be very frank and not sugar-coat things.

I used to use food as a drug. I haven’t lost a leg, or damaged my kidneys, but I have diabetes, and I’ve had a stroke, and it was not fun, not fun at all.

Food will nourish you, and it can make you fat if you eat too much, but it will do nothing else.

You can try to make it do something else, but it won’t be sustainable, and you just might die trying.

Love Yourself,
Ian

Fuzzy12
08-29-17, 05:10 PM
I do want to stop binge eating and I don't want to get all those health problems you mentioned (don't worry about being too frank or brutal. There's no need to sugar coat. I know what's in store if I don't stop eating like this.)

The problem is how. I've tried just stopping but I just don't.

Unmanagable
08-29-17, 10:11 PM
What does your trying to stop actually look like? What's the specific reasons for not being able to follow through when you do try? How can you adjust things to make it more of a possibility? Do you still buy the stuff and keep it in your house?

Unfortunately, for me, it took a medical emergency threatening to cut me open to finally have the seriousness of it all hit home in a large enough way to make me drastically change things. I have no interest in any surgeries and would like to keep the organs I was born with for a damn good reason, so my motivation was kicked into high gear.

Until then I was still in my perceived comfort zone steadily munching on all my so-called comfort foods, thinking it couldn't be that bad yet, or certainly my doctor would have addressed it...being as how I topped out at 324 lbs and was going for regular "check ups" and such during that time, being told all was okay according to the tests and blood work.

I had to stop buying crap to stop eating crap. Learning more about how each thing I was so highly addicted to was made and how it arrived at my table went a long ways in helping me decide what energies I no longer wanted to support with monetary exchanges. Learning more about my body helped a great deal, too, whereas before, I left it all in the hands of the professionals.

But I weakened and once again gave into the "convenience" of ordering pizzas with no cheese (still had gluten, cheap oil, etc.), french fries, potato wedges, and onion rings (still vegan, mostly, but cooked in cheap shi**** oil and not often real potatoes or real onions), peanut butter with melted dairy-free chocolate chips stirred in, and potato chips. My food crack.

I also started eating late at night again, which is never a good idea. Our digestive system needs a nice long break, too, hence the term for the first meal of the day being break-fast. Anyway, I gained at least 30 lbs back and ate myself into yet another gall bladder attack, once again avoiding surgery.

I'm back on my more strict eating plan and have done yet another clean sweep in getting the junk out of my cabinets and fridge and re-establishing my own boundaries with myself, and others. I must make it work for me because no one else is offering to do it for me.

The weight is coming back off and I'm feeling empowered via my fork once again. It's true that nothing tastes as good as good health feels. But my taste buds still aren't buying into it. Cravings are very real and very persistent. I must have healthier replacements on hand for what I'd normally reach for.

There's no other way for me to avoid it than by not buying it. I have to keep reminding myself throughout the day that if I put junk/death/artificial in, I get junk/death/artificial out. I can't afford to run on that type of fuel any longer, as my body has repeatedly and painfully reminded me.

Good luck, and may you find the strength to make shift happen before it's medically necessary, or before they start harvesting your organs. It remains my toughest challenge, even with all the support, lessons, tools, garden goodies, and love of cooking that I have.

psychopathetic
08-29-17, 11:25 PM
It's been a year now and I really need to stop. I've put on so much weight that my feet hurt when walking. I'm really starting to worry about diabetes and other health problems. I need to get a hold on my eating but nothing seems to be working.

Jeeze...you remain to be my twin in so many ways. So many things in common!

I've gotten SUPER bad with my eating every since my mom's passed. I don't know how I afford to do so, but I eat out almost everyday now...and when I say I eat out, I mean stuff like mdconalds and taco bell and all the worst salt filled stuff. I avoid sugars pretty well, but man I eat horrible otherwise. And in LARGE amounts.
I'm the heaviest I've ever been.
Sometimes after eating I have a hard time breathing the next night from all the fat pressing down in on me.
A lot of times after I eat...especially at taco bell...my wrists and ankles get all puffy (to the point where I have to take my watch off) and start to tingle because of how much salt I'm taking in and retaining.

And life is just becoming much more difficult. It's not fun being at this weight.

I've called out for help...but there is no help to be given to me really. I wish someone could step into my life and make my decisions for me...just for a week or 2. As long as I'm in control, I feel like nothing's going to change, I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing to myself.
I think it's going to take a heart attack or a stroke before I decide to change. If I've even got a choice at that point.

But it feels deeper than just simple choices. I feel out of control! Like I can't freaking help it! I'll sit in my bed for hours obsessing on food...researching it and watching videos about it and going online to calculate how much it'd cost to order what I want. I crave it. It's like there's this void and I'm desperate to try to fill it all up with food...doesn't work of course...but dang it. I'm so out of control!

It's frustrating there's no help. I think I could admit myself into the psych ward of my local small hospital and that would help as they've got a schedule on when and what to eat...wouldn't be up to me...but dang, outside of that I feel like I'm just out to sea drowning.

I'm sorry.
I didn't mean to type so much. I haven't talked much about this...but it's been a major problem I'm going through right now in life.

(((((((Fuzzy)))))))

Thank you for being brave enough to share this. I feel less afraid to be honest about it knowing you're having issues with it too...I know you can understand and wont judge me.

psychopathetic
08-29-17, 11:38 PM
If you want to stop binge eating and eating crap, stop.

I just don't think you quite get it.

This is the same answer I've gotten from many people (looking at you dad!) who haven't gotten it and why I am the way I am through out my life.
If I wanted something bad enough, I'd just do it.

I know all the right things to do and not to do. I struggle in actually implementing that knowledge.
And your answer to me just comes across as cold and condescending to me.
I've been being told to get over myself and to just put more effort into things my whole life.
If ONLY I knew freaking how.
/sigh

attackthevixen
08-30-17, 12:18 AM
From my experience I've just had to stop going out to eat and stop buy crappy food. The foods that really fattened me up were the usual favorites, sugar and bread. I also was prescribed Adipex in high school. If you know anything about it you know it knocks your appetite right out with a surge of energy. That kinda kick-started my healthy eating.

Drink water also. I know its hard, but you have to. especially if you're a lover of sodas and juices. Try distilled water. Its literally just water. You won't have to worry about the "added minerals for taste" like brands like Dasani and aquafina.

I hope this helps

sarahsweets
08-30-17, 07:20 AM
Telling someone to just stop is insulting. Dont you think they would if they could? No one wants to endanger their health. Eating disorders are mental illnesses. They dont make sense and they are very hard to manage. I suggest fuzzy that you try and get professional help and psycho- keep working with your mental health group and providers. Make sure you share because you know identifying not comparing is what helps to heal.
Of course not buying crap helps but when you are having a hard episode with your eating disorder there is no logic. There is no making sense and you are not able to perceive the long term consequences in that moment. Telling someone to stop is the same thing as telling someone with adhd to get it together or try harder.

aeon
08-30-17, 08:42 AM
I just don't think you quite get it.

Well, I used to be really heavy, and I am not any longer, and it was only when my desire to be healthier was greater than my desire to eat did I lose the weight.

And that took a long time...to change my thoughts about it all, to change what I wanted. And no, it was not easy, because it wasnít easy for me to change my behaviors.

But what donít I get, I wonder?

This is the same answer I've gotten from many people (looking at you dad!) who haven't gotten it and why I am the way I am through out my life.
If I wanted something bad enough, I'd just do it.

Ultimately, peopleís actions are a reflection of their desires. Not a perfect one, but a telling one. And thereís nothing wrong with accepting and owning what you want, if what you want is different. It is your life, and you have every right to live it as you see fit.

I know all the right things to do and not to do. I struggle in actually implementing that knowledge.

Yep, and I do that today and now with other things in my life. Learning new things is easy. Changing behavior is not...even when the evidence comes back that I need to change things!

And your answer to me just comes across as cold and condescending to me.
I've been being told to get over myself and to just put more effort into things my whole life.
If ONLY I knew freaking how.
/sigh

Then thatís how it came across to you. I didnít intend it that way, though I did mention in my original post that I was frank and a bit brutal because I wanted to be rational and pragmatic in thinking about things.

That all said, at the end of the day, it is about the choices one makes, and the actions that come out of those choices. These are the things we have control of, and responsibility for. What informs the choice may be long, complex, and none too easy...but the choice itself, made day to day, could not be more simple...you either choose to eat crap, or you choose otherwise.

Telling someone to just stop is insulting. Dont you think they would if they could? No one wants to endanger their health. Eating disorders are mental illnesses. They dont make sense and they are very hard to manage. I suggest fuzzy that you try and get professional help and psycho- keep working with your mental health group and providers. Make sure you share because you know identifying not comparing is what helps to heal.
Of course not buying crap helps but when you are having a hard episode with your eating disorder there is no logic. There is no making sense and you are not able to perceive the long term consequences in that moment. Telling someone to stop is the same thing as telling someone with adhd to get it together or try harder.

On this, perhaps we shall agree to disagree.

Mental illness or not, personal responsibility begins and ends with actions.

Itís like being an addict in recovery. You make the choice to remain sober. Youíre free to choose otherwise, but you choose sobriety because it is what you want for yourself.

It works the same way with food.

At least that is how I see it, and I used food as a drug for nearly 25 years.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
08-30-17, 09:07 AM
I like it when my clothing fits. I'm so short 10 extra pounds can creep on what seems overnight. 10 extra pounds means my clothing does not fit correctly.

I LOVE cake. But I will not eat an improperly made cake with 40 ingredients. If I have to have it, I make it myself correctly. I'm a cake snob.

I made a deal with myself to never buy a size larger ever. Why would I? I have plenty of clothing.

Sometimes I'd like to have my jaw wired shut. Sometimes I think I'll save enough to have liposuction. Will that help? No. I could eat it all back on in a week.

All I can do is the best that I am able to every day. If my jeans get tight, I eat less.

How did I quit being a full time junkie? I stopped.

Unmanagable
08-30-17, 09:10 AM
Perhaps telling folks to just stop buying it/doing it sounds a bit too "easy" and may come across to some as being borderline insulting, but after struggling with food for several decades and luckily living long enough to enact some drastic changes of my own, repeatedly, it remains the best advice I've seen and tried that actually works, and it remains the hardest damn thing I've ever done.

It always feels like sh**** advice when you're the one struggling and desperately trying to get out of your own funk in the fastest and most comfortable way possible. Trust me, I remember those feelings very well. Food addiction is rarely recognized for what it is, and it's no joke, either.

I guess that's why it took a medical emergency along with some quality time spent laying in the ER to think about which actions would bring me genuine relief, as none of my previous attempts had worked. Most medical professionals aren't trained in nutrition, so seeking help there often leads to more complications, in my experiences.

We all have our breaking points and I feel I reached mine that day, especially in the food arena, and am grateful it steered me in the directions it did. Otherwise, I'd likely just be another statistic to reflect upon rather than actually being here to share my experiences.

hutchie0109
08-30-17, 09:50 AM
What worked for me are Eat right for your Blood Type, eat as much as you like of certain foods right for you. Not as bad/hard as it sounds.

Paleo Mediterranean diet, I went sugar and carb free for two weeks, cured my sugar addiction, e.g. sausage, egg, bacon, sausage both square and link under the grill when craving hit, or in preparation for craving, feeling satisfied was half the battle to dealing with craving.

Total denial starvation not good for anyone. Fat fills you up, not sugar or carbs.

You can return to eating crap, but naturally limited/satisfied.

stef
08-30-17, 10:32 AM
Excellent advice here,
I would add never grocery shop hungry, just dont buy it
If you dont shop insist the shopper not buy the things you crave
Have some fruit. Seriously its delicious. Not as a substiute for junk but really its good and you will feel good.
On the other hand dont give everything up or skip meals or you will binge double.
Look up easy recipes, make foods you like, its rewarding

Psycho like missy i am small framed and those few extra pounds are too much
I grieved as you did when i lost my mom but with opposite effect, i lost my appetite, i had to force myself to eat
It was only then, after feeling physically better, (and you will!) that i realized i had been eating too much , for years
Im still sickened by " too much food" and i suppose this quantity is different for everyone

I wish it hadnt taken those months of anguish to get to this point, i would want that for no one, and i hope you find an easier route to feeling better

Fuzzy12
08-30-17, 12:17 PM
My trying tÚ stop looks like

1. Telling myself to stop (and failing miserably)

2. Trying to eat something healthy instead like fruits (only works sometimes. I love fruit and eat tons of it but when I want to binge I binge.

3. Fasting (this almost always works but I can't fast every day and right now I can't fast at all.)

When I go shopping I normally buy super healthy stuff. Hubby buys all the crap. Unless when I'm going on a dedicated binge shop where I only buy crap with the sole intention of binge feasting on it.

It does help to not have unhealthy food lying about. When crap is just lying about I eat it without even thinking about it. Though when I really want to binge I create binge food from the craziest most pathetic items (like sugar on bread....) but yes not having crap at home eliminates the mindless binge eating.

Fuzzy12
08-30-17, 12:24 PM
Jeeze...you remain to be my twin in so many ways. So many things in common!

I've gotten SUPER bad with my eating every since my mom's passed. I don't know how I afford to do so, but I eat out almost everyday now...and when I say I eat out, I mean stuff like mdconalds and taco bell and all the worst salt filled stuff. I avoid sugars pretty well, but man I eat horrible otherwise. And in LARGE amounts.
I'm the heaviest I've ever been.
Sometimes after eating I have a hard time breathing the next night from all the fat pressing down in on me.
A lot of times after I eat...especially at taco bell...my wrists and ankles get all puffy (to the point where I have to take my watch off) and start to tingle because of how much salt I'm taking in and retaining.

And life is just becoming much more difficult. It's not fun being at this weight.

I've called out for help...but there is no help to be given to me really. I wish someone could step into my life and make my decisions for me...just for a week or 2. As long as I'm in control, I feel like nothing's going to change, I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing to myself.
I think it's going to take a heart attack or a stroke before I decide to change. If I've even got a choice at that point.

But it feels deeper than just simple choices. I feel out of control! Like I can't freaking help it! I'll sit in my bed for hours obsessing on food...researching it and watching videos about it and going online to calculate how much it'd cost to order what I want. I crave it. It's like there's this void and I'm desperate to try to fill it all up with food...doesn't work of course...but dang it. I'm so out of control!

It's frustrating there's no help. I think I could admit myself into the psych ward of my local small hospital and that would help as they've got a schedule on when and what to eat...wouldn't be up to me...but dang, outside of that I feel like I'm just out to sea drowning.

I'm sorry.
I didn't mean to type so much. I haven't talked much about this...but it's been a major problem I'm going through right now in life.

(((((((Fuzzy)))))))

Thank you for being brave enough to share this. I feel less afraid to be honest about it knowing you're having issues with it too...I know you can understand and wont judge me.

Psycho thanks for sharing snd thanks for understanding.

. I'm thr heaviest I've ever been too ajd I think that might include when I was full term pregnant (too scared to weigh myself).

I think when you are dealing with griEf or other negative emotions self control becomes even more difficult. It's as if the other negative emotion eats up thr last bit of self control. I know there's been research on how tiredness reduces self control ajd I can imagine that it works similarly woth other emotions weighing you down.

Fuzzy12
08-30-17, 12:32 PM
Psycho and Sarah thanks for understanding. Yes somehow just stopping never worked for me. Maybe it means that I don't want it enough but I can't just resign to eating myself to death just because somehow on some level it hasn't sunk in that that is what I'm doing.

I guess this is why it takes for lots of people a really serious health scare to finally make a change..I'd like to avoid getting to that stage. (If I can...if it isn't too late already. Haven't had a general check up since 2014 when I was in the pink of health).

So I need to help tÚ stop. I want to stop and I can't wait till I want it 'enough'. I need to stop now. So that's what I'm asking advice for. Given that my motivation and will power possibly isn't good enough what else can I do?

I mean I'm looking for Practical advice like e.g. not buying junk or drinking water. Maybe there is something that I haven't tried yet.

I read yesterday to wait for 10 min to see if the craving will pass. I've tried that today ajd it worked earlier as in those 10 min I get busy with something else. But now I've come home and I'm tired and starving and junk requires the least effort.

Fuzzy12
08-30-17, 12:33 PM
Dex really helped me with this in the last few years but I can't wait till I start taking dex again. Who knows when that will be..

psychopathetic
08-30-17, 01:25 PM
You know...now that you mention it...I think the lack of my meds (adderall or dex) maybe making a lot of things more difficult...including this. Just a hunch...they seem to do so much for me.

And to add on to your taking a 10 minute walk...
I just recently read somewhere that food cravings last no longer than 10 minutes.
I don't know if you're like me...but sometimes when I start thinking about food...I OBSESS over it. Like I can spend long periods of time sitting there thinking about all the delicious junk I could be eating. Then I start to figure out ways to either make it (if I have anything in my apartment, which isn't likely lately)...or how about going out to get it at a fast food place.
But if I can just distract myself for 10 minutes, those intense longings/cravings/desires should pass.

But it's all about distractions. I can't just sit there letting myself think about the food (or I'll sit there for hours till I'm craving junk food BAD)...I have to do something to stop the thoughts (like taking your walk).

It just reminds me when I was in the starting few months of my quit from smoking. How I'd have cravings a LOT and if I'm focus on the cravings, they'd only get worse and worse and would seem to last all freaking day.
But if I found a way to distract myself...those cravings only really lasted a few minutes.

It was a LOT easier for me to handle a bunch of small, short lasting craves...then it would've been to deal with a constant powerful crave.
1 crave at a time.

Quitting smoking freed up a ton of time too. And cutting back on eating would do the same. I'd spend less time thinking about it, and less time doing it...so maybe thinking of new hobbies, or picking up old hobbies might be something to think about.
Painting? Collecting things (rocks or marbles maybe)? Or maybe you can start collecting board games to play with your husband a couple of times a week. That gives you something you can do a lot of research on (which games to get), can be time consuming, and will give you something much more enjoyable to spend your money on :D. Think of games a bit deeper than your run of the mill game...think less monopoly, uno or life, and more things like Pandemic (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic), Ticket To Ride (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9209/ticket-ride), Forbidden Island (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65244/forbidden-island) or King Of Tokyo (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70323/king-tokyo).

psychopathetic
08-30-17, 01:41 PM
Also, some of the ways I kept myself distracted early on in my quit...were doing as you're trying...walking (haha I'd just walk paces back and forth through my living room/kitchen instead of taking walks outside)...

But the biggest thing that helped me get through, was finding some forums with other people who were quitting. There was TONS of people at the site I was a part of (www.quitnet.com /sigh, they've made SO many changes to the site over they years. It's nothing like it use to be /sadface)...many who had hundreds and even thousands of days smoke free under their belts...and they were amazing because they all believed in me! They cheered me on...they didn't look at me as a statistic that was very likely not going to be able to hold onto my quit...but as an individual. And there was TONS of people with quit dates right around mine...and they were amazing to cheer for and it was a blast to interact with them day after day knowing we were in the thick of things TOGETHER and not at all alone. And then as time went on, more and more people signed up and it made my own quit SO much stronger as I supported others in theirs.

I'd spend hours upon hours on the days I could or needed to on these forums. Starting threads asking for help cause I was craving so bad, or cheering others on, or celebrating someone's anniversary with them.

So maybe that's another idea. I don't have any off the top of my head...but maybe try and find a support group to join on this journey. Why go it alone when you don't have to? There's SO much strength in numbers when it comes to stuff like this. Getting and giving support can do wonders for your motivation when things get tough.
It could be an online forum...but it doesn't have to be. It'd be great if you could find others in real life too! A friend or someone to start going to the gym with or something?

psychopathetic
08-30-17, 01:44 PM
But what donít I get, I wonder?

How to come across as less condescending (and not just here, and not just to me)...IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

sarahsweets
08-30-17, 01:46 PM
Fuzzy- If your husband wont stop buying junk thats a problem. You need things to change and he is sabatoging or enabling you. You have the right to tell him that the junk has to stay out of the house-no questions. My husband learned out to stop buying alcohol for the house. He might get it on a night out but never in the house. He loves me and knows it would sabatoge my sobriety. Does your husband understand your struggles and desire to stop them?

aeon
08-30-17, 02:12 PM
How to come across as less condescending (and not just here, and not just to me)...IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Yet, I never condescended to anyone here, much less yourself.

Iím no better than you, yet you seem to think I think that I am.

Please reread what I actually said.

Or forget it...thatís your opinion, after all. Iím glad you shared it regardless.

Thanks,
Ian

daveddd
08-30-17, 06:35 PM

I used to binge when I was depressed or had other negative emotions but now I'm fine but still can't stop eating. I'm tired and don't get much sleep but even that doesn't explain the huge amount of food I eat.

It has to stop. But how???

(Please keep in mind that I've got no will power....)

(Ive also got no time and very little energy)

just an uneducated shot at help

have you had medical work

overeating can have medical causes

-some inherited disorders , even the same ones that can cause ADHD (turners syndrome for example

-metabolic disorders

-gluten syndrome

-digestive disorders

and others

somatic symptoms

you said "I used to binge when I was depressed or had other negative emotions but now I'm fine but still can't stop eating"

could be you're not fine, but now you're killing emotions with food

or like Ian says, could just be food brings you pleasure and need to just stop

(says the guy who has told himself that about cigarettes everyday for ten years)

complex i know

personally i wish i was just rich, i'd have a trainer , a chef, a guy who beat me when i went for a cigarette and an enormous land for dogs

Unmanagable
08-30-17, 06:46 PM
One thing that helps me fight cravings off is to drink warm lemon/ginger water instead. If I want it sweet, I add a little maple syrup. Roasted dandelion root tea is good, too, with a little maple syrup, or honey if you prefer. It's almost coffee-like in flavor.

I cut a lemon wedge into quarters, slice off a few pieces of fresh ginger and wedge them, too, and pour hot (doesn't have to be boiling) water over it and let it steep a little like I do my other herbal blends. I think it helps partly because it requires a routine/ritual that distracts, like you and psych were talking about, as well as the soothing warmth.

As sarah mentioned, you're gonna have to get your hubby on board or it's going to be damn near impossible, from my experience. My husband still eats what he wants, mostly away from home for certain things, but has also cleaned his diet up a great deal after seeing how it benefited me, and is also enjoying the benefits for himself.

He doesn't cook or stock the stuff he knows triggers me and he makes his coffee out in the garage now so the smell leaves quicker. If he wants meat, he grills it outdoors or he cooks stuff on the camp stove outside if he knows it'll bother me. If he requires the oven to cook something, I just prepare something else that will drown that smell out to cook right after he finishes so I don't have to smell it any longer. That's how I handle it when I house/kid/fur baby sit for others, too.

It took a long while for my senses to acclimate to my new lifestyle in order not to be so highly triggered by the least little thing. He still keeps a few things around that I used to devour like a mofo, like cheese, but I have no desire for it any longer, so it doesn't bother me to see that. That first transition period was a b****, and so was I. lol

He usually reserves those types of foods for when he's eating breakfast/lunch at work, if we're dining out (which I'm okay with since I'll be surrounded by it all anyway), or when I'm elsewhere at meal time. He has a stash of snack things I'm unaware of and don't wish to know, or else I'll be tapping into it sooner or later.

It's not easy to do, by any stretch of the imagination. Even once you get it down pat at home, you still have to deal with venturing out into public and into other homes that don't choose the cleaner versions, so there's always a challenge you have to be prepared for. I keep a cooler with me when I know I'll be out more than an hour, or when I'm going somewhere that doesn't serve anything I eat.

Tell him you and fuzzling would rather have him around a lot longer than his health may allow if he keeps eating all that junk. Watch documentaries together about the state of our health and the food system. Share facts with him along with feelings. However you choose to do it, love yourselves through it and slowly introduce healthier options that you truly enjoy rather than making it a bone of contention, or making it feel like a dreaded chore, or it'll make you both miserable.

Fuzzy12
08-31-17, 03:49 AM
I have to do something. I just got up and I'm barely able to walk.:eek:

psychopathetic
08-31-17, 04:07 AM
I have to do something. I just got up and I'm barely able to walk.:eek:

(((((((Fuzz Fuzz)))))))

Yeah, I'm starting to come to the slow realization that I'mma have to take some action here soon too. Maybe we can help each other a bit as we go.

This coming week I plan on eating less at fast food joints. Thinking maybe I can cut it down to just once or twice a week this coming month. I know that's still way too much, but dang...it's better than every day (and sometimes twice in 1 day!).

Have you hit the point where you have a difficult time breathing while laying down too like I have? That part scares me.

Do you have any ideas set in place yet? Or are you still just trying to grasp the reality of it all still? lol...what an odd question that is :lol:.

I kinda wonder if I'm doing this on purpose. And I kinda sorta full well know the answer is yes...of course I am...but I'm just not up to dealing with things right now lol.
It's like I'm trying to eat myself into my own grave. I was ready to give up on life many years ago, and I'm slowly sliding back to that...the loss of a spark. Hope.
Sorry to get so dark there xP

Also, when do you see your pill doc again? It'd be great if you could get back on adderall sooner rather than later! I know it does so much for you!
Maybe that's something we could commit to with each other...getting back on our meds. Being put back on my mood stabilizers (for bipolar depression) would do SO much for me right now. But I've been saying I'm going to set up an appointment with my pill doc for weeks now haha...just one of those damned things I'm having a tough time actually doing (...there's an awful lot of those things in my life lately. /grrrr)

Fuzzy12
08-31-17, 04:08 AM
Psycho you are right. I need to treat this is an addiction. I wish I could quit cold turkey but how do you quit food?? Just bringing it down to healthy levels so much more complicated.

Unsi, love to the idea of having tea instead of sugar. I'll try that.

I think a lot of the time I eat either out of habit or because I'm genuinely tired. I'm still breastfeeding so I'm trying to not have too much caffeine. What else could I do for energy?

Fuzzy12
08-31-17, 04:10 AM
(((((((Fuzz Fuzz)))))))

Yeah, I'm starting to come to the slow realization that I'mma have to take some action here soon too. Maybe we can help each other a bit as we go.

This coming week I plan on eating less at fast food joints. Thinking maybe I can cut it down to just once or twice a week this coming month. I know that's still way too much, but dang...it's better than every day (and sometimes twice in 1 day!).

Have you hit the point where you have a difficult time breathing while laying down too like I have? That part scares me.

Do you have any ideas set in place yet? Or are you still just trying to grasp the reality of it all still? lol...what an odd question that is :lol:.

I kinda wonder if I'm doing this on purpose. And I kinda sorta full well know the answer is yes...of course I am...but I'm just not up to dealing with things right now lol.
It's like I'm trying to eat myself into my own grave. I was ready to give up on life many years ago, and I'm slowly sliding back to that...the loss of a spark. Hope.
Sorry to get so dark there xP

Also, when do you see your pill doc again? It'd be great if you could get back on adderall sooner rather than later! I know it does so much for you!

Pdoc no idea. Haven't seen them in 2 years now or so. I'll try and make an appintment when I want to get back on meds

OK, you cut down on fast food and I'll cut down on sweets this week including see drinks. I never have anything sweet to drink but we've had 2 parties recently and lots of coke and lemonade left over...:doh:

psychopathetic
08-31-17, 04:21 AM
Psycho you are right. I need to treat this is an addiction. I wish I could quit cold turkey but how do you quit food?? Just bringing it down to healthy levels so much more complicated.

Yeah...you can't! And so in a LOT of ways I think quitting smoking is a lot easier to quit for certain people (maybe everyone?) then working on their food issues.
Quitting smoking was/is so black and white for me. I either smoke or I don't. I'm either active, or I'm quit. I do or I don't.
Thing is...is I'm able to avoid it. It makes it SO much easier when it's not right there in front of me every day.
I can't just avoid food. Holy heck how I wish I could! Just choose not to eat for a week or 2...grind my way through the hunger and craves a day at a time like I was able to do with my quit.
But yeah :( it's not that simple at all. I'm eventually going to HAVE to eat...I can't just keep avoiding it.

It's easier with smoking cause I can avoid them...I can avoid the temptations. I can't do the same with food. And just eating a small portion of something to try and 'get by' often just doesn't cut it. It leads me to obsessing on how I want more, which leads me to binging.

It's really freaking tough. I hear you on that!

psychopathetic
08-31-17, 04:27 AM
OK, you cut down on fast food and I'll cut down on sweets this week including see drinks. I never have anything sweet to drink but we've had 2 parties recently and lots of coke and lemonade left over...:doh:

It's a deal, and I'm very serious about that :).

I don't want to get super strict (or I'll just quit like I always do) and say which days I can or can not eat out)...but I do commit to just doing so twice this coming up week. I think that's fair for me at this stage. I CRAVE fast food (especially taco bell). Twice still lets me indulge myself a bit. 3 times would be too much. 1 time would be unrealistic and I don't think I'd follow through (though certainly if I plan on working on this eating stuff long term, I'd like to cut fast food down to just like 1 or 2 times a MONTH eventually).

I plan on going grocery shopping too. That's a big problem I have right now too...I just don't have anything to eat in my apartment/at my dad's...and it's WAY easier to just go to taco bell or whatever, then it is to walk up and down a store picking out groceries.

Thank you Fuzz Fuzz :) :grouphug:

psychopathetic
08-31-17, 04:42 AM
Any chance you could talk your husband into getting into this with you?
Maybe the 2 of you can work on a healthier shopping list? Healthier snacks and what not.
I wouldn't recommend cold turkeying this kind of thing. I wouldn't recommend cutting all the junk out right away...it's so easy to put blinders on and just plow into things like new diets...only to quit soon after because it's proven to be too much too soon. haha I'm a pro at jumping into the deep end of the pool giving things my 110%...only to quickly then realize that oh sh**! I don't know how to swim!!! lol
But just add in a couple of healthier choices. More fruits (or yucky veggies if you can stomach such things! lol :giggle:), less salty snacks (have you ever tried almonds? MMMM!!), ingredients for a healthy meal or 2 you (or he) can prepare over the next coming up week?

This is what I plan on doing with my dad.
He's struggling too...and with him just having had his open heart surgery...this is a VERY dangerous struggle for him to be having.

Sorry I'm talking so much. Hoping I'm not boring you to sleep! >.<'
It's nearly 3am in my warm little piece of the world...lol I really should be asleep atm!

daveddd
08-31-17, 09:38 AM
I think they have an alcohol anonymous for food

Unmanagable
08-31-17, 10:01 AM
True, dave triple d, they have an over eaters anonymous that you can participate in online if there aren't any physical meetings in your area. I've never been to one, but I've heard others mention how helpful they've been for them.

As far as the energy question, fuzz, I found I have much more energy eating whole foods than I do eating processed stuff. I guess getting sugar from sources like fruit doesn't make me crash like it did when I got what I refer to as the test tube varieties from doughnuts and candy bars and such.

My mornings are strictly hydration upon waking with lemon water first, then an herbal infusion in place of the coffee I used to toss back like crazy, and then a fruit juice of some sort that's either organic store bought or made fresh in my kitchen, and around 11ish a.m., I start on solid food that usually begins with fresh fruit or baked fruit of some variety, then a big salad of some sort, then more fresh veggies as a snack, then some steamed or roasted veggies/beans/quinoa stuff for dinner.

Banana slices sprinkled with cinnamon are f'n fabulous! I put parchment paper down then slice them onto it, sprinkle with seasoning (nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice are good too) and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. You don't want to bake too long or they get runny. They taste like fancy pastries to me once they're baked.

Baked apples are delish, apple sauce is delish, freezing bananas and making "nice" cream is more than delish, smoothies made with frozen fruit (minus any dairy) are delish, etc., etc. You can freeze fruits/greens in plastic baggies for individual smoothies then toss them in the blender in the mornings.

The library has a lot of helpful books you can check out to give some more ideas for recipes and such. I found some in ours, anyway. Some seem to be much slimmer pickings than others I've found.

Fuzzy12
08-31-17, 11:40 AM
Psycho was so tempted to get brownies at the store but I thought of you and wgat we decided so yippee and thanks. :yes::)

Unsi, the baked bananas sounds absolutely fabulous and like a sweet treat thst fuzzling can enjoy too. I can't wait to try it out. Do you use ripe or unripe bananas?

Fuzzy12
08-31-17, 12:26 PM
Instead of brownies I just had 3 bowls of cereals:doh::doh::doh:

Unmanagable
08-31-17, 01:23 PM
I only use very ripe bananas no matter what I'm making. Which helps with the grocery budget as they're the ones usually marked down as "over ripe". lol I buy them up and freeze them often, too, to keep on hand for the nice cream and smoothies.

They aren't truly ripe until they start getting spots. A lot of folks complain of fruit giving them belly aches, but often times it's simply because the fruit isn't ripe. (other times it can be because of eating it right after other foods and the digestive process gets backed up since fruit digests so much faster than other foods) It's picked unripe so they can ship it. Which is why I get so excited about any local and home grown vine-ripened goodies. :)

Speaking of fuzzling, you could get her some of the burro bananas (the tiny ones) for a fuzzling sized treat. lol They're also good baked with the cinnamon and such, I slice them longways in half instead of in the disc shapes like the regular banana. I wait until they have spots to eat them, too. To me, they're a bit sweeter than the regular variety.

Little Missy
08-31-17, 03:20 PM
I need to rustle me up some grub!

Two hardboiled eggs and a black cup of joe. :)

psychopathetic
09-10-17, 07:33 AM
I'm not doing so well with my commitments this week Fuzzy :(

TheGreatKing
09-10-17, 05:24 PM
I was 180 and went down to 158 in about 3 months.
That said the way i did it is by having a food journal and writing the calories i consumed a day and also having a clear and detail goal on my fridge, so i would see it everyday and remind myself of this goal and the reason i was doing it. if i had cheated for one meal i would tell myself to get back on the horse and that is what i did. I also had a vision board in my room with the weight lost goal, so when i woke up i saw it and when i went to bed a saw it. I listened to motivational speeches on YouTube as much as i could and each time i plateaued i would take 100 calories out of my daily calories. I would try with all my heart to stay away from fast food places, sometimes i would give in but like i said its just one meal and you shouldn't give up because of that bump in the road. I would try and stay away from breads and pastas as well oh and dairy foods. I think planning is super helpful in dieting, so before you start plan it all out, write it all down.

TheGreatKing
09-10-17, 06:21 PM
We should start a weight losing challenge!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be awesome, what do you guys think?

Fuzzy12
09-10-17, 07:29 PM
I'm not doing so well with my commitments this week Fuzzy :(

OMG im so. Sorry..I'd completely forgotten about this. I don't even remember what I committed to.

Next week? New start?

Fuzzy12
09-10-17, 07:33 PM
I was 180 and went down to 158 in about 3 months.
That said the way i did it is by having a food journal and writing the calories i consumed a day and also having a clear and detail goal on my fridge, so i would see it everyday and remind myself of this goal and the reason i was doing it. if i had cheated for one meal i would tell myself to get back on the horse and that is what i did. I also had a vision board in my room with the weight lost goal, so when i woke up i saw it and when i went to bed a saw it. I listened to motivational speeches on YouTube as much as i could and each time i plateaued i would take 100 calories out of my daily calories. I would try with all my heart to stay away from fast food places, sometimes i would give in but like i said its just one meal and you shouldn't give up because of that bump in the road. I would try and stay away from breads and pastas as well oh and dairy foods. I think planning is super helpful in dieting, so before you start plan it all out, write it all down.

Well done. Congrats. Yes planning is peony important.

Also.what you said reminded me that everytime I lost weight (on purpose) was when I totally immersed myself and occupied myself with the goal of losing weight.

Not very healthy in my case and I do ha e an eating disorder I think but I think like you described I need to tackle this using several.tools.

Fuzzy12
09-10-17, 07:34 PM
We should start a weight losing challenge!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be awesome, what do you guys think?

Sure next week?

I don't want to lose more than 2kg month though.

TheGreatKing
09-11-17, 03:38 PM
Sure next week?

I don't want to lose more than 2kg month though.

sure why not! what are the rules around this challenge and length of the challenge?

should we make a thread for it so other people can join in?

sarahsweets
09-12-17, 04:32 AM
I think it's important to make sure people remain supportive and motivating for this. I am the kind of person that could use someone else's success as a way to self sabotage or as a way to not measure up. That's just me though. And I don't think it should be only for people that have a lot of weight to lose, it could be for anyone who wants to try. JMO.

TheGreatKing
09-15-17, 07:41 PM
I think it's important to make sure people remain supportive and motivating for this. I am the kind of person that could use someone else's success as a way to self sabotage or as a way to not measure up. That's just me though. And I don't think it should be only for people that have a lot of weight to lose, it could be for anyone who wants to try. JMO.

Well the challenge would be more of a personal challenge and thread we would have going, would be for information,advice , support and of course a record if we forget where we are. i just think its a good idea not just for losing weight but for health reason as well. Something for us to do as a community.
Let me know if anyone's interested, i would love to get it started for everyone in this community:):grouphug: