View Full Version : Rejected once by physiciatrist for adderall who told me i was depressed

LeanH2
08-29-17, 09:19 PM
A few years ago, when I was 18, my older sister told me that I should go to the doctor for the trouble that I was having finishing up school. I went to my primary doctor who ended up prescribing me adderall. Initially it wasn't honesty my plan. I mainly stated that I've been a big pain in the butt with school every since I could remember and I've always been a big failure with procrastinating and focusing.
It took me a little while to tell if the adderall was for me. He ended up prescribing me a total of three months worth, while I was being evaluated by my psychologist. I only ended up making a total of two visits with my psycologist. First was him asking me questions and the second was his adhd test. Now at the time I had just moved out of my parents home to my sisters. My mom is bipolar and she was having a psychotic episode that has always some what traumatized me and my whole family. I was in a dark place while taking this test on a computer. I made my self sound really depressed. While also the test was very short. It only asked me some questions and their was this sort of game that made me click after this dot after it disappeared. After this test I was told to come back to meet with the physiatrist who would let me know if I was adhd. When I met with her she basically told me that I was too depressed to continue the adderall. I told her that i wasn't depressed and that i didn't want antidepressants. She then basically called me a junkie. It really frustrated me so I then walked out. It was my fault but then looking back at it she was very mean to me. Also I didn't feel that the test was good enough and the psychologist learned little about me from our first time meeting.

Shortly after this I started college and couldn't handle a few college courses so I dropped out. Now its 3 years later and I want to go back. So before doing so I made an appointment with a new psychologist to examine me. But here is my question after you've read all of this. Will he have to find out about this past test? If I tell him about what happened will he give me a second chance? Just because I was misdiagnosed does that mean its permanently on my record?

I'm very frustrated because ADHD has effected my whole life. I'm not depressed. If I'm ever depressed its because of endless mental fog, procrastination, low motivation although I try, restlessness, not being able to comprehend what someone is telling me..etc. My boyfriend has told me to try to get it again because he saw how much better I did on it. I perform more comfortably and can express my self better.

Hopefully you didn't have trouble reading this. I rarely type anymore and I was just trying to get it all out at once without thinking about the organization of my sentences. Plus it's almost bedtime for me.

sarahsweets
08-30-17, 05:40 AM
When I met with her she basically told me that I was too depressed to continue the adderall. I told her that i wasn't depressed and that i didn't want antidepressants. She then basically called me a junkie. It really frustrated me so I then walked out. It was my fault but then looking back at it she was very mean to me. Also I didn't feel that the test was good enough and the psychologist learned little about me from our first time meeting.
Part of the problem is the reliance on a test. There are no tests for adhd only tests for other disorders so the doctor is someone I think your were blessed to part ways with. I dont think the new doctor needs info from your old one unless you plan on using those records.

LeanH2
08-30-17, 07:42 PM
Thank you!:)

LeanH2
08-30-17, 08:15 PM
I made an appointment with an independent psychologist. I believe that if I have him thoroughly examine me that he will believe that I have ADHD and am not depressed. Do you believe that I should be honest with him about my past history with this test? My boyfriend thinks I shouldn't, but I don't believe lying ever gets you anywhere. Also, should I mention to him that I want to be back on adderall specifically? I think it would sound like I'm really a junkie. It just sucks how cautious you have to be with this subject, because it really helped me. I'm thinking about trying a non-stimulant out but I'm not sure if there are any out there that you don't have to take everyday in order to work. I haven't done my research too much about non-stimulants.

LeanH2
08-30-17, 08:17 PM
Thanks

LeanH2
08-30-17, 09:13 PM
Wasn't sure how website worked thats why I said thanks twice. Didn't recognize that it was checked before posted.

Little Missy
08-30-17, 09:15 PM
Psychologists can not prescribe medications.

daveddd
08-30-17, 09:44 PM
Just to avoid confusion. With mental illness just should be diagnosed with an assessment

Cognitive tests have proven to be ineffective

I would be honest. You were treated for ADHD it helped. Then a doctor decided that a test connecting dots in a controlled setting said the treatment wasn't working and it went down hill

Is that right? Sounds like something he should hear. Believe or not I've found the stigma stronger with my own view than my last couple doctors did

If that's cleveland Ohio. If you'd like to pm me I can recommend a good practice with several good psychs

sarahsweets
08-31-17, 04:21 AM
I think honesty is always best. You know adderall worked for you and that you have adhd. The new doctor should know that as well. Can you get your old records? That would help avoid any funny business with you requesting adderall.

LeanH2
08-31-17, 02:58 PM
I think I might get my old records if he asks.

LeanH2
08-31-17, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I planned for a thorough test by a psychologist. So then hopefully he could recommend me to a physiciatrist.

Snoopy10
09-04-17, 10:29 AM
Let us know what happens. My psychiatrist diagnosed me with anxiety and we struggled for 7 years until he realized it was ADHD. I think from your post, you are female. Women present a bit differently than men with ADHD. Keep trying to find answers.

wonderboy
09-04-17, 01:30 PM
Part of the problem is the reliance on a test. There are no tests for adhd only tests for other disorders so the doctor is someone I think your were blessed to part ways with. I dont think the new doctor needs info from your old one unless you plan on using those records.

I could not agree more with what you have stated. (Above)

Diagnosing ADHD should be from a bio-psycho-social perspective.

Complete reliance on a arbitrary test lacks any validity at all.

You should not worry about this test being on your record.

Hang in there, and I wish you only the best

LeanH2
09-14-17, 08:57 PM
So today I ended up going to a physiatrist instead of going to a psychologist. He basically just listened and then ended up prescribing me adzenys xr-ot. Won't be able to get it until next week because a number of pharmacies I called didn't have it in stock because it is a newer drug. But so far so good and I was honest about everything. I'm excited about it because apparently it is better than the adderall that I was prescribed before. I hated the crash from it and apparently this one doesn't have it. However the thing that sucks about this is that my insurance won't cover it. Right now I have a coupon for it but after that he will probably have to prescribe me something else because it sounds far above my budget. If anyone knows any good alternatives to this please let me know. :)

sarahsweets
09-15-17, 03:32 AM
I forget which med that is. Its an amphetamine right? is it like vyvanse, adderall or dexedrine?

aeon
09-15-17, 10:14 AM
I forget which med that is. Its an amphetamine right? is it like vyvanse, adderall or dexedrine?

It is straight-up racemic amphetamine...so 50% dextro, 50% levo.

Why a doctor would prescribe that, especially for an adult (dissolving tablet), I do not know, given the amount of levoamphetamine in the med, as well as its cost, especially when other meds which are efficacious exist, and cost a lot less.

Cheers,
Ian