View Full Version : Adderall Experience: Increased Dosage Sedating

andyb1205
08-29-17, 10:24 PM
I'll start with my question, can increased dose of Adderall XR lead to drowsiness and low energy? I have ADD or ADHD-Inattentive.

I've been on Adderall for 2 months now. For a couple weeks before, I was trialing Ritalin, was on x3 5mg for a week, and then x3 10mg for another week. Besides dry mouth and decreased appetite it did nothing but make me want to vomit, especially 20mg and 30mg (doctor said to try it out). Have tried concerta once before, methylphenidates do nothing for me. We then began trial of Adderall.

I was on Adderall XR 5mg for a week, and then 10mg for another week. I honestly can't remember how it was but I don't think it affected me. Then I was upped to 20mg, beginning July 10 and began a daily log, which I took for almost 4 weeks. The change was remarkable and instant. It was much easier to get out of bed and wake up early. I found that my anxiety and background noise decreased, mind slowed down. Could follow convos better. I ate well, stayed hydrated. Had no urge to drink (been 2 months clean from booze now). Slept better than I have in a long time. I felt I was on the road to recovery. The click was similar to smoking a joint (clean for 1.5 years now, small amount is great, too much leads to over-focus and increased anxiety).

On 20mg XR however I still had inattention for reading, studying, following in class. Looking at my life I had much better short term memory, faster comprehension and intellectual mind than in past 4 years, even than on Adderall. But I always had ADD (procrastination, no motivation, doing work last minute, but I would force myself to try and pull all nighters, to get up early for work, etc). Depression has always lingered in my life, ups and downs, but unlike today was secondary. Been very sad in past few years (failure in life from ADD caught up to me).

Then we skipped 25mg and doctor put me on 30mg, I figured increased dosage may increase focus and remove depression. Not sure how it was compared to 20mg but was working at least as well. There was one day that I had too much dopamine, physical effects of sweating, tight jaw, sore gums (not enough hydration perhaps) in full gear, strong interaction with coffee this day.

Went to 35mg, and now 40mg. Increased anxiety from too much focus or ADD symptoms as meds not working. No more energy in morning, feeling tired, still had decreased appetite and dry mouth. I can fall asleep in the day. Sleep not as well as before as if meds not working.

Once on 20mg I had the "crash" at end of day so I was up then down, never after though. On 20 or 30 I slept late in early morning twice. Was doing homework and lost track of time, possible ADD symptoms as I didn't know the meds wore off.

Yesterday I didn't take anything, didn't feel overly depressed or withdrawal but was ADD alright, tired, restless, etc. As if I was already ADD for last 2 weeks so this wasn't different feeling for my body! Today I took the 40, went in a store and mind was very silent, so must be doing something. Had anxiety, not restless but could've taken a nap if I wanted.

I should note, as I assumed increased dopamine may increase focus, I consumed one or two cups of coffee every day in evening, since I began Adderall, with cigarettes. IMO it just increased focus too much so my mind is focused on this or that, even when watching TV, including increased anxiety.

What is going on? I know I need to cut the caffeine, but in regards to Adderall. Did my body become tolerant in only 2 months? Is my borderline fatty liver keeping too much in my system so I'm tolerant? Higher dose made me leave the optimal dosage window? Need to decrease dose and add something for depression?

Thanks!

andyb1205
08-30-17, 04:22 AM
This evening, I noticed that actually compared to yesterday (had break off Adderall) I am far less less fidgety, less tired at night compared to earlier today when I felt lethargic, possibly because dose is coming down at night.

For my 40mg dose I have 30s and 10s, also have a 25 left over (from my 25s and 10s given for 35 last week). Since I had really noticed the negative effects of increased anxiety on 35mg at the mall few days ago, experiences then and 40mg today, I plan to take only 30 for next few days before I see the doctor and ask for titration down.

sarahsweets
08-30-17, 05:26 AM
I was on Adderall XR 5mg for a week, and then 10mg for another week. I honestly can't remember how it was but I don't think it affected me. Then I was upped to 20mg, beginning July 10 and began a daily log, which I took for almost 4 weeks. The change was remarkable and instant. It was much easier to get out of bed and wake up early. I found that my anxiety and background noise decreased, mind slowed down. Could follow convos better. I ate well, stayed hydrated. Had no urge to drink (been 2 months clean from booze now). Slept better than I have in a long time. I felt I was on the road to recovery. The click was similar to smoking a joint (clean for 1.5 years now, small amount is great, too much leads to over-focus and increased anxiety).

This makes sense, its sounds like it was working for you.

On 20mg XR however I still had inattention for reading, studying, following in class. Looking at my life I had much better short term memory, faster comprehension and intellectual mind than in past 4 years, even than on Adderall. But I always had ADD (procrastination, no motivation, doing work last minute, but I would force myself to try and pull all nighters, to get up early for work, etc). Depression has always lingered in my life, ups and downs, but unlike today was secondary. Been very sad in past few years (failure in life from ADD caught up to me).
Its important to adjust your expectations with adderall. Not everything is going to improve perfectly or all at once.

Then we skipped 25mg and doctor put me on 30mg, I figured increased dosage may increase focus and remove depression. Not sure how it was compared to 20mg but was working at least as well. There was one day that I had too much dopamine, physical effects of sweating, tight jaw, sore gums (not enough hydration perhaps) in full gear, strong interaction with coffee this day.

What makes you think this is dopamine? I have never heard of dopamine giving severe side effects before. Congrats on stopping drinking. I have been sober for nearly 5 years and it was the best thing that happened to me.

Went to 35mg, and now 40mg. Increased anxiety from too much focus or ADD symptoms as meds not working. No more energy in morning, feeling tired, still had decreased appetite and dry mouth. I can fall asleep in the day. Sleep not as well as before as if meds not working.

Once on 20mg I had the "crash" at end of day so I was up then down, never after though. On 20 or 30 I slept late in early morning twice. Was doing homework and lost track of time, possible ADD symptoms as I didn't know the meds wore off.

Yesterday I didn't take anything, didn't feel overly depressed or withdrawal but was ADD alright, tired, restless, etc. As if I was already ADD for last 2 weeks so this wasn't different feeling for my body! Today I took the 40, went in a store and mind was very silent, so must be doing something. Had anxiety, not restless but could've taken a nap if I wanted.

I should note, as I assumed increased dopamine may increase focus, I consumed one or two cups of coffee every day in evening, since I began Adderall, with cigarettes. IMO it just increased focus too much so my mind is focused on this or that, even when watching TV, including increased anxiety.

It sounds like its kinda working for you but I am confused as to why you keep mentioning dopamine because I have honestly never heard of too much or too little dopamine causing these types of feelings,

What is going on? I know I need to cut the caffeine, but in regards to Adderall. Did my body become tolerant in only 2 months? Is my borderline fatty liver keeping too much in my system so I'm tolerant? Higher dose made me leave the optimal dosage window? Need to decrease dose and add something for depression?

Thanks!

I do not think you are tolerant after a couple of months. Tolerance can occur but usually its years not days or months that it happens.

andyb1205
08-30-17, 06:10 AM
By dopamine I guess I was trying to mention the interaction between dopamine from the Adderall and from the caffeine. Many times when watching TV my mind would be going down rabbit holes linked to my depression - reflecting on my failures and trying to cheer myself up and be optimistic for the future, anxious about if I will find the right treatment in time for school. I also noticed this on the 35mg and 40mg alone. Heck, when writing my exam for my summer class on 40mg a bit ago I was wasting too much time on one or two math questions and losing track of time. Best way I can describe this, either the 35mg and 40mg or the lower doses combined with too much coffee would be, being lost in my head and hence losing track of time. Or the plot in the movie or TV show!

Perhaps too much dopamine is not the correct terminology but whatever it is, it makes my inner voice louder, ruminating again and again. I had noticed this similar feeling when I used to smoke weed, the right amount would make it so obvious that I have ADD and reduction of ADD, depression and anxiety symptoms would be great. Too much and the inner voice got too loud, stuck in my head, following my own commentary and going down rabbit holes, losing touch with my surroundings and lost in la la land.

I think the increased dose has made the negatives outweigh the positives. Beyond the mental symptoms, the physical symptoms of not having the energy I got on lower doses and instead feeling a bit tired during the day is strange. I did notice I can't communicate as well on 35 and 40, as if I'm drugged up, using the wrong words or pronouncing them wrong.

Jillybean
08-30-17, 03:56 PM
Sounds like me having obsessive thoughts and hyper focus on the negative ones. I got really depressed from that about 4 months into my ADHD treatment. I let it get bad. I had to take a SSRI to pull out of it. I am off now but I take several vitamins and supplements recommended by my doc to keep my serotonin/dopamine balanced. Just be careful. I have read having comorbid depression is very common with ADHD and if overlooked and not treated the stims can really aggravate it. I would definitely discuss it with your doctor.

Jillybean
08-30-17, 04:20 PM
Oh and to ans your orig question, I know that an increase in dose that puts you above your ideal therapeutic dose can have some of the side effects you mentioned. Having to much is similar to being to low. That's another reason why reporting everything back to your doc is so important. I didn't realize that. I thought I was too low and went up when really I needed to go down. If that makes sense. But also I would think it's not abnormal for an increase to bring on side effects can subside. I would think in a week or two. My sleep didn't improve after a month so we knew to go down.