View Full Version : Not sure if going up a dosage was a good idea?

333sam
09-01-17, 05:29 PM
I was recently diagnosed (inattentive type) and my doctor gave me prescription for 18 and 27 mg of concerta. I took 18 for a week or so and didn't feel any difference so I switched to 27 today and have felt more subdued/almost tired and something made me feel anxious(as a lot of things do) but the sick feeling was worse than normal and lasts a long time. On the 18 I got some headaches and it kept me awake a bit but it didn't feel like it was affecting much (though I did get some summer homework done, with difficulty). Is the dosage too high?

Lunacie
09-01-17, 05:51 PM
First day of taking 37 mg? Give it a few more days to adjust to having the med
on board.

When I started taking a med for high blood pressure I was so wiped out the
first week or two ... because my heart wasn't having to work so hard to pump
the blood anymore and I could relax. Kind of like when you've been on vacation
and were busy the whole week ... you don't go back to work refreshed, you go
back as tired as heck.

Only in this case it's not your heart or your body that's been working too hard,
it's your brain. On the meds your brain can chose one or two things to pay
attention to instead of noticing everything all at once and trying to figure out
what to pay attention to. Give it a few days ... unless the headache gets worse.

333sam
09-01-17, 05:58 PM
First day of taking 37 mg? Give it a few more days to adjust to having the med
on board.

When I started taking a med for high blood pressure I was so wiped out the
first week or two ... because my heart wasn't having to work so hard to pump
the blood anymore and I could relax. Kind of like when you've been on vacation
and were busy the whole week ... you don't go back to work refreshed, you go
back as tired as heck.

Only in this case it's not your heart or your body that's been working too hard,
it's your brain. On the meds your brain can chose one or two things to pay
attention to instead of noticing everything all at once and trying to figure out
what to pay attention to. Give it a few days ... unless the headache gets worse.
Thanks!

Emre22
09-01-17, 06:03 PM
I was recently diagnosed (inattentive type) and my doctor gave me prescription for 18 and 27 mg of concerta. I took 18 for a week or so and didn't feel any difference so I switched to 27 today and have felt more subdued/almost tired and something made me feel anxious(as a lot of things do) but the sick feeling was worse than normal and lasts a long time. On the 18 I got some headaches and it kept me awake a bit but it didn't feel like it was affecting much (though I did get some summer homework done, with difficulty). Is the dosage too high?

your age,height,weight takes important role when it comes to adjusting dose.

i guess you will have concerete difference(before and after) above 36mg

going up isnt bad idea , you must keep doing it until u find beneficial effect of medication despite all side effects ocurring.

you must give your body some time until your body adapts medication.

Lunacie
09-01-17, 09:10 PM
your age,height,weight takes important role when it comes to adjusting dose.

i guess you will have concerete difference(before and after) above 36mg

going up isnt bad idea , you must keep doing it until u find beneficial effect of medication despite all side effects ocurring.

you must give your body some time until your body adapts medication.

While that is true of most medications, it is not true of stimulant medications.
Some kids who weigh less than 80 pounds need more than some adults who
weigh 200 pounds. It's a very individual thing. That's why you should start
with a low dose and increase slowly until the side effects outweigh benefits.