View Full Version : How to retrieve childhood information

Kaia.S
09-02-17, 05:31 AM
The psychologists asked me to bring school reports, family members or old friends. But i don't have any!

Last week has been a revelation for me. It's not easy however to retrieve childhood information. Here are quickly some things i can remember:

I had average grades and was a pleasing child, afraid for adults. I had one best friend to play with and played a lot with our animals. I never stopped biting nails and sucking thumb, had repeatingly asthmatic bronchitis and couldn't do a number 2 when staying with others :o I started playing the piano, singing and composing around the age of 5. I was carsick a lot and could only wear soft cotton like fabrics. I was not tired when i had to go to bed (but than i played this one woman show in my head every night before going to sleep) and remember being frustrated a lot when i had to wait for hours in the morning before the rest of the family woke up. So nothing really special?

The real problems started in my puberty, as it occurs in so many 'normal' people also? I had troubles waking up early and being on time, ran away from home, skipped on high school a lot and didn't graduate until bit by bit on an evening school, was mainly interested in sex and drugs, did very little homework frequency wise, but when i did the quality was good (i played teacher in front of a school of little plastic animals :lol:).

Is this enough information for a psychologist to work with? Do you have any tips or suggestions? My adult problems and behaviours are a lot more clear and spot on (latest song title: "it all adds up" ;-))

sarahsweets
09-02-17, 06:16 AM
It is not mandatory that you have school records. If you do great but how many adults have their report cards from second grade?

CharlesH
09-04-17, 04:00 PM
The psychologists asked me to bring school reports, family members or old friends. But i don't have any!

Last week has been a revelation for me. It's not easy however to retrieve childhood information. Here are quickly some things i can remember:

I had average grades and was a pleasing child, afraid for adults. I had one best friend to play with and played a lot with our animals. I never stopped biting nails and sucking thumb, had repeatingly asthmatic bronchitis and couldn't do a number 2 when staying with others :o I started playing the piano, singing and composing around the age of 5. I was carsick a lot and could only wear soft cotton like fabrics. I was not tired when i had to go to bed (but than i played this one woman show in my head every night before going to sleep) and remember being frustrated a lot when i had to wait for hours in the morning before the rest of the family woke up. So nothing really special?

The real problems started in my puberty, as it occurs in so many 'normal' people also? I had troubles waking up early and being on time, ran away from home, skipped on high school a lot and didn't graduate until bit by bit on an evening school, was mainly interested in sex and drugs, did very little homework frequency wise, but when i did the quality was good (i played teacher in front of a school of little plastic animals :lol:).

Is this enough information for a psychologist to work with? Do you have any tips or suggestions? My adult problems and behaviours are a lot more clear and spot on (latest song title: "it all adds up" ;-))

So you're from the Netherlands? Is the DSM used as the clinical standard over there? If so, ADHD should be currently impairing at least two major life areas (school, work, family, etc). It's fine that your major problems started in puberty, as long as the signs of ADHD began earlier in childhood. Just to clarify, you don't have anyone (family, childhood friends, etc) who can provide qualitative information? Maybe you could get in contact with a previous teacher, in case they still remember you. At least in the USA, providers have leeway in terms of how they make a diagnosis, so while outside evidence is preferred, they can still choose make a diagnosis just based on self-report.

sarahsweets
09-06-17, 08:06 AM
There is something here called the "conners scale" that family members in addition to you get to fill out that helps.

Kaia.S
09-06-17, 03:08 PM
Thanks, i found an old schoolreport after all, and some notes teachers wrote in my early childhood, together with some evaluations that suddenly make a lot of sense. So even if not everything from childhood could be scored, all together it was still enough to diagnose ADHD combined type. Can't wait to start treatment!