View Full Version : 22 years today

sarahsweets
09-02-17, 07:32 AM
I met my husband when I was 18 and a freshman in college. I was friends with his roommate so he sort of tagged along at meals and such. He was so quiet I barely talked to him. That January a month before I turned 19 I went looking for his roommate and he was the only one home. My boyfriend lived up the hall and I began talking to my husband. Within 5 minutes we had the kind of conversation you would normally have with a friend when you were feeling philosophical. I didn't want to leave, and my current boyfriend called his room looking for me to tell me the food we ordered had arrived. I had to leave. I stood at the door and I looked back at him and heard a *distinct* voice I cant explain, tell me "you're going to marry this man". I was so taken aback by it I almost said it to him out loud like it was a drunk musing but I held back and left.

I began finding excuses to be where he was, to stop by. I am of the mix tape
and Zima era, so I would play mix tapes with music deliberately made to make him think about me. I hung out with him everyday as often as I could. In hindsight I guess it was cheating emotionally only I didnt realize it at the time.
He played me a song in his room and we slow danced. I broke up with the current boyfriend and immediately was with my husband. Turns out the ex boyfriend is gay and we never really loved each other and we laugh about it now.

On October 14, 1994 my husband gathered all our friends in the dining hall and got down on his knee with the sweetest simplest ring and asked me to marry him. The wrestlers banged their trays on the table, the soccer players cheered. We had talked about marriage but to most people it seemed quick because we had only been together 9 months. It felt exactly right.

We were inseparable from the very start. I found out I was pregnant in July of 1995-by the gods I swear, because we used double protection and I still cant figure it out. We moved our wedding plans way up and were married September 2, 1995. We didnt have much to do with the wedding plans, our families were in a panic so we kind of just rolled with it. I was 20 and he was 21. I had my son that February. He graduated December 1996 and between work and the baby I managed to graduate by December of 1998. I cant believe it because I wanted to quit school.
We want to have our own "wedding" when we hit 25 years that we actually have a say in.

We have three kids. 21, 17, and 14. We have been through enormous adversity. He survived my physical and emotional changes.
We are stupid in love, best friends. When something good happens I want to share it with him. When something bad happens I want to cry in his arms.

Do I believe in soulmates? I think so. If there is such a thing, I think we are.

I say all of this not to brag or make anyone feel bad. I do not want to be a know- it- all or show off, or make anyone feel less than or not a part of.

I want to share hope. It happened to me when I wasn't paying attention and looking for it. It was an unbelievable love at first sight kind of deal. I don't believe all is lost for everyone. There is always hope. I had a crap childhood and vowed never to get married and certainly not have kids til much later. But the universe had other plans.
I know I am lucky.
I will never bad mouth him.
I dont believe in ganging up on husbands with other partners or women that like to compare how "silly"and "dumb" men are with each other.

I am extremely lucky and grateful. This "damaged goods" sort of girl found love; or love found her. Two opposites together making one whole.
I am happy we are not too old to enjoy each other. I am 42 so I don't think Ive hit the wall quite yet. We dream of getting an RV one day and traveling- no retirement home or vacation home-just a simple home on wheels. If he could read this I think he'd just smile that slow sweet smile of his and nod in his quiet way.

He is my quiet man, my defender. Me? I am the bloodhound tearing apart any enemies. He is slow and deliberate- silently building a wall around us for protection. He has always been a provider. Finances have always been tough; not because of anything other than circumstances beyond our control.

I adore him and love him. I know how blessed I am. I wish for all of you to have what I have and I believe its possible.

I always say..I'll take 15 minutes of spectacular over a lifetime of nothing special or adversity, as long as I can do it with the one I love.
Thank you for reading.

Much love,
XXXOOO

midnightstar
09-02-17, 08:08 AM
Congrats sarah :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
09-02-17, 11:44 AM
I love reading about you two. Much love to you and your family!!:grouphug:

anonymouslyadd
09-02-17, 04:34 PM
You've created similar threads before, and I love them. I love hearing about your passion and love for each other. It's inspiring.

Keep on sharing!

sarahsweets
09-04-17, 08:53 AM
http://sj.uploads.im/t/5QKFZ.jpg (http://uploads.im/5QKFZ.jpg)

Ok, in this regard I am bragging. I love this ring and it was a beautiful gift for my anniversery.