View Full Version : Afraid of medications!!

123abc345
09-03-17, 04:24 AM
Hei! I am a 17 year old girl and I was newly diagnosed with ADHD. But I am so afraid to start with medications... I want to do better in school and get a good education, but I am afraid that I will die much sooner than I have to with these medications... I am normal weight, but do have a binge-eating problem, so I would also like to fix that... But then I read that if you quit using medications your ADHD-symptoms get worse and you gain a lot of weight??😔
Is it normal to use adderall/or ritalin for the rest of your life??

(Sorry for my english I'm from Europe)

sarahsweets
09-03-17, 07:21 AM
What do your parents say about it?

123abc345
09-03-17, 08:03 AM
Thank you for reply!!
I dont live with my parents, they are also divorced. I moved out from my moms house when I was 16, we had a lot of conflicts so the chips services in my country pay for my apartment and food. But I think my mom wants me to have medication, she has said that for many years even when nobody thought I had ADHD... my dad hates medications, and he does probably have ADHD because he has a lot of symptoma that I have. But I have little contact with them
So I have to think for my own... thats why I Ask here

Lunacie
09-03-17, 08:56 AM
Untreated ADHD poses risks greater than the risks of using stimulant meds.

* more likely to be suspended / drop out of high school / college
* more likely to develop other disorders (anxiety, depression, etc)
* more likely to abuse other medications or street meds
* more likely to have driving accidents
* more likely to have unplanned pregnancy
* more likely to have failed friendships / relationships
* more than twice as likely to divorce
* more likely to change jobs or be fired
* more likely to be arrested / incarcerated

The medications used to treat ADHD have been used for more than 50 years.
They have a lot of research backing their use, and a good track record over
long-term use.

Emre22
09-03-17, 03:07 PM
yes because medications are effective for limited time
you must understand that you will be ok as long as you use medication

Swissy
09-03-17, 06:33 PM
For me, it was a question of how much worse could my fearful "what ifs" of meds be than I was feeling before I started. My situation was horrible, so in hopes of fixing myself I gave it a try. Next month will be one year since I started and I am happy I took the chance.

You binge eat now, and adderall would help that along with your ADD symptoms. If you stopped adderall, maybe you will have "deprogrammed" your binge eating, so maybe you will be able to control it more by then. Your fear says Maybe you won't be able to help but start again and you will gain the weight back. But if that happens, you wouldn't end up worse off than you are now. The way I see it, you felt bad enough about things that you sought help. So now, try to work with your doctor to help yourself... if you are like I was, things can't get worse. Don't let your fears of the unknown prevent you from making your life better... your choice isn't permanent. If medication doesn't work, move on to the next possible solution 🙂.

sarahsweets
09-04-17, 08:50 AM
Worrying about the potential problems that probably wont happen is a lot of wasted energy. Id worry about what will likely happen with untreated adhd.

Snoopy10
09-04-17, 10:02 AM
I'm a woman, I've been on Adderall for 2+ years. After awhile you become deprogrammed. If you stop taking it, you just go back to being yourself with a different perspective on life. But give it a few years for that to happen, especially because you are young and still growing into who you are.

I wish someone had put me on meds when I was 17. I practically ruined my life when I was young because of my symptoms. Give the meds a try, you can always stop taking them.