View Full Version : Stimulants and gambling addiction

stassi31
09-04-17, 09:41 AM
Hello everyone. :) I am trying to figure out if there is any connection between ADHD medication and gambling addiction. Both Parkinson medication and abilify have gambling addiction as a side effect, and both of them have to do with the dopamine in the brain, and so does the adhd medication. Can stimulants also cause gambling addiction?

Emre22
09-04-17, 03:16 PM
Hello everyone. :) I am trying to figure out if there is any connection between ADHD medication and gambling addiction. Both Parkinson medication and abilify have gambling addiction as a side effect, and both of them have to do with the dopamine in the brain, and so does the adhd medication. Can stimulants also cause gambling addiction?

I think that stimulants can treat gambling addiction

any kind of addiction is related to dopamine , not only gambling

addiction occurs because people want to feel same reward feeling again and again. Dopamine relase causes reward feeling and stimulants provide dopamine relase(amphetamine salts) or inhibition of reuptake of dopamine(methylphenidate)

and anti-psychotics are ( abilify is one of them) almost inverse of stimulants

parkinson medications are similar to ADHD medications but not same, parkinson medications are mostly dopamine agonists and they do not have stimulant effect as ADHD medications. i guess they work on different dopamine receptors in a different way.

they may rise impulsive behaviour ( which may trigger gambling addiction)

sarahsweets
09-05-17, 05:02 AM
Treating adhd with stimulants actually leads to less substance abuse and addiction disorders. Untreated is a whole 'nother story.

Fraser_0762
09-05-17, 08:44 AM
Gambling is a stimulant. Replacing the stimulation that gambling gives you with something else (such as medication) should "technically" reduce the urge to gamble.

However, it can be a bit of a double edged sword. The withdrawal from medication can increase your urge to gamble, or gain stimulation in other ways. There is also the issue of increased focus as a result of medication, which can make it harder to walk away from a gambling situation once you have already started.

My advice would be to monitor when the effects of the medication wear off and where you apply your focus when the medication is in effect.