View Full Version : Ritalin LA and Alcohol? Do i need 2 stop Ritalin for a day/24 hr before i can drink?

samilia
09-05-17, 03:22 AM
Hi,
I am currently on Strattera, but soon switching to Ritalin LA and was just reading that if you are on ritalin you shouldn't drink alcohol. Fair cop, and i dont drink very often, about once every 2 months, but when i drink, i epic binge drink.
Ritalin LA is the long acting 12 hour form, so it probably takes longer again for it to clear your body. Just wondering, If i took Ritalin LA at say 8am, would i be good to have a big night on the bottle from 9pm? Or do i have to stop Ritalin for a day or so first before consuming alcohol? and what about the day after? can i take ritalin 8am next day after say 12 beers the night before? All i can find on the net like drugs.com is "dont mix alcohol with ritalin".

also, do you have to tale ritalin ebery day for it to be affective? If i stop it for a day after months of use, with i have a withdrawal syndrome like and SSRI has?

thanks for your time

samilia
09-06-17, 05:23 AM
anyone??

sarahsweets
09-06-17, 07:49 AM
Hi,
I am currently on Strattera, but soon switching to Ritalin LA and was just reading that if you are on ritalin you shouldn't drink alcohol. Fair cop, and i dont drink very often, about once every 2 months, but when i drink, i epic binge drink.
Ritalin LA is the long acting 12 hour form, so it probably takes longer again for it to clear your body. Just wondering, If i took Ritalin LA at say 8am, would i be good to have a big night on the bottle from 9pm? Or do i have to stop Ritalin for a day or so first before consuming alcohol? and what about the day after? can i take ritalin 8am next day after say 12 beers the night before? All i can find on the net like drugs.com is "dont mix alcohol with ritalin".
The concern lies with combining stimulants with alcohol because you may not feel as drunk as your normally are. The real question would be why you need to have 12 beers and plan for it around your ritalin.

also, do you have to tale ritalin ebery day for it to be affective? If i stop it for a day after months of use, with i have a withdrawal syndrome like and SSRI has?

thanks for your time

Ritalin is mean to be taken everyday because your adhd is an everyday thing. a 24/7 thing. If you suddenly stop you will have a few days of fatigue and thats it.

Emre22
09-06-17, 09:09 AM
you shouldnt consume alcohol while taking ritalin
i use concerta and i do not take it on the day that i drink(my doctor warned me about that)

it can be dangerous because methylphenidate and alcohol combines and synthesizes
ethylphenidate inside liver.

It is a reaction similar to combination of cocaine and alcohol. Combining alcohol and cocaine also results a new substance.

samilia
09-07-17, 10:04 AM
The real question would be why you need to have 12 beers and plan for it around your ritalin..

Ritalin is mean to be taken everyday because your adhd is an everyday thing. a 24/7 thing. If you suddenly stop you will have a few days of fatigue and thats it.

I Dont have to "plan" it, i just dont want to mix drugs and alcohol together, so i just want to know how much time i should cease one before and or after consuming the other on any given random time i feel lile having a night on the booze. Just to be safe. And i drink about 9-12 beers on average on a night on the booze, because, well i dont know why. Tolerancer perhaps after drinking like that for many years. Yes, not the healthiest, but thats not a discussion for this board.

I know adhd is an everyday thing. Ive been adhd my entire life.

samilia
09-07-17, 10:08 AM
you shouldnt consume alcohol while taking ritalin
i use concerta and i do not take it on the day that i drink(my doctor warned me about that)

it can be dangerous because methylphenidate and alcohol combines and synthesizes
ethylphenidate inside liver.

It is a reaction similar to combination of cocaine and alcohol. Combining alcohol and cocaine also results a new substance.

Thank you. You answered my actual question.
On the day you dont take the concerta, do you feel weird?
tired? annything?

thanks.

Emre22
09-07-17, 10:35 AM
Thank you. You answered my actual question.
On the day you dont take the concerta, do you feel weird?
tired? annything?

thanks.

well my situation can be different than you because i do not use concerta every day in a year , i only use it during school time ( exams , studying etc.)

I can read 10-20 pages when i do not use concerta , i still have attention deficit but i can say that my adhd is mild type.
It can be different for you, i use ADHD medication in order to increase my productiveness (Because My ADHD affects my productiveness and functionality)
My impulsiveness is a little bit high but concerta doesnt change it even if i use it.
Concerta increases my attention,my ability to solve problems, focusing long time on complex thing which needs mental effort. ( i cant study 2-3 hours, focus on one thing and spend mental effort for hours without medication, even if i try to do it , it's quality is very low )

You may feel tired , unable to focus when you don't use your medication . It is normal for the day that u don't use your medication