View Full Version : My Dr seems anti-ADHD meds

Danbui2780
09-05-17, 07:11 PM
I tried to explain to her every area I struggle with due to my ADHD and how I believe I would benefit from meds.

She said since I'm not going to school and I don't work that I don't need meds cause that's what they would be for.

I told her how I struggle even with the application process and forgetting about interview or going late. And being late everywhere. And she said it was a time management problem and I needed to attend a time management class and no med would help with that. Or help with distractablility. That meds are only for focus.

She said Wellbutrin is the first recommended med to try for ADHD and since I had unpleasant side effects from it I would have the same problem with any med I tried.

She wasn't very helpful at all and just seemed to not be knowledgeble about ADHD at all.

She told me to discuss things with my therapist and we'll revisit at our next visit.

I'm not really sure if I'll get anywhere with her.

I guess I'll just keep struggling and keep talking with my therapist.

aeon
09-05-17, 07:15 PM
Get a new doctor who has a clue.

Cheers,
Ian

Danbui2780
09-05-17, 07:31 PM
I don't think that's an option.

I live in a pretty small town and it took a long time to even get to have an appointment because no where was accepting new patients ��

She doesn't seem knowledgeable at all tho. I've never even heard of Wellbutrin being the first med for ADHD. �� Although I could be wrong.

I've done a lot of research.

I'm not sure if she really thinks I wouldn't benefit from meds even though ADHD affects EVERY SINGLE aspect of my life.
Or she just thinks I want "drugs"??
Or she's just dumb.

If this is my only option I feel like I'm screwed when it comes to getting any help from her. ��

I'm gonna try to call other offices and see if they'll take new patients

ToneTone
09-05-17, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry about your doctor's reaction ... and really sorry to hear that you don't have many other options.

Was this a family doctor or a psychiatrist?

Wellbutrin helps some people with ADHD, but that's not official. GlaxoSmithKline had to pay a hefty penalty for marketing Wellbutrin for conditions, like ADHD, that the drug was not approved for.

And that thinking that people's reactions to Wellbutrin (which I take) telegraph their reactions to stimulants? ... Huh? ... Never heard of that ... I've been on Concerta and Vyvanse and now Adderall XR ... They all affected me in a ways different from Wellbutrin.

Anyway, sorry to hear of your situation.

Tone

sarahsweets
09-06-17, 04:17 AM
You cant be treated by a doctor who doesnt believe in the research about stimulants being the first line treatment for adhd.

Danbui2780
09-07-17, 12:00 PM
She's a phsychiatrist.

Well she's a nurse practitioner so I dunno that she can have that title yet??

Is there any truth to if you're not going to school or working you don't need to be on meds?
Even when I would like to be doing both and feel like meds could be a useful tool in helping me get there?

I don't know if I'm having unreal expectations or what??

Emre22
09-07-17, 12:07 PM
Get a new doctor , i guess it is a world-wide problem, some of doctors do not want to prescribe controlled substances. They do not believe it is a treatment even.

If you really think that you need to use your medication daily, and your doctor doesnt try to understand you even

Time to get a new doctor

Danbui2780
09-07-17, 12:19 PM
Currently I am searching for a new doctor.

I go to my therapist today, do I discuss this with her?

I feel like doctor jumping would make me look like a little kid throwing a fit for not getting me way?? Or like I'm drug seeking?

I don't understand why the legitimate people who could benefit from meds and treated like the people who just get it off the streets.

This would be a long drawn out process to get "high" and "trick the system" it's been months now already.

I'm really frustrated with it all.
I thought getting help and really sticking with it would be a real life changing experience. But so far it's just left me feeling more hopeless.

My life is not going well right now at all. And now I have to start from square one??? How do I even look for a new one? Like do I talk to my current doctor? Tell the new one I'm looking for a new one?

Little Missy
09-07-17, 12:19 PM
She's a phsychiatrist.

Well she's a nurse practitioner so I dunno that she can have that title yet??

Is there any truth to if you're not going to school or working you don't need to be on meds?
Even when I would like to be doing both and feel like meds could be a useful tool in helping me get there?

I don't know if I'm having unreal expectations or what??

If she is Psychiatric Nurse practitioner she can prescribe psychiatric medications. She also can make her own decisions whether or not to prescribe anything.

Danbui2780
09-07-17, 12:24 PM
Maybe I don't need meds?

I just feel like it's another person telling me I'm not trying hard enough. When I'm trying so, so, so hard at everything I do.

Always trying to learn new "tricks" to help me stay focused, stay on time, keep my house clean, to remember things. But they don't work so well and in all my efforts it's always seemed maybe meds could help me actually put the pieces together if that makes sense? Maybe it could be the glue to help me keep it all together.

I dunno if that makes any sense or if I just sound silly.

Emre22
09-07-17, 12:30 PM
Maybe I don't need meds?

I just feel like it's another person telling me I'm not trying hard enough. When I'm trying so, so, so hard at everything I do.

Always trying to learn new "tricks" to help me stay focused, stay on time, keep my house clean, to remember things. But they don't work so well and in all my efforts it's always seemed maybe meds could help me actually put the pieces together if that makes sense? Maybe it could be the glue to help me keep it all together.

I dunno if that makes any sense or if I just sound silly.

Those are solutions but not sustainable.you can't try hard all the time during your life.
It may make you mentally tired.

If you really think that medication is beneficial for you and you must use it everyday

You can ask another doctor at least
Your doctor is anti adhd meds

So just ask another doctor do you need to use adhd-meds everyday

Danbui2780
09-07-17, 12:47 PM
I've never been on medication except Wellbutrin and Adderol very briefly. I didn't like it and actually have some still left that I won't touch.

So I can't say if I need it daily. I can't say if it'll help me. I can't say any of that because I always stop going to doctors. (This is the first time in this state that I've actually truly sought out help)

Within the last few years I've had about 10 different jobs. I've started and stopped school 3 times. It's really hard for me to keep with anything. I have to say I truly believe it's because of the ADHD. I'm really "supposed" to have a job right now. It's really affecting my relationship that I don't. And our money situation really sucks right now.

I'm very bad at even keeping doctors appointments. I've missed twice in a row with this one. The reason being she's only there on Mondays and the call to remind me about it on the Friday before. By the time Monday rolls around it's completely gone from my mind. Even tho I have the appointment card on my fridge.

Another reason I have problems with this doctor is I don't "really" see her face to face. She's over a computer screen on video call.

I just don't know the "proper" way of seeking out a new doctor. One who won't dismiss my thoughts and one who knows how to properly treat ADHD. Or can even see my struggle? I'm not good at even communicating it well as doctors also really freak me out for some reason.

Emre22
09-07-17, 12:56 PM
I've never been on medication except Wellbutrin and Adderol very briefly. I didn't like it and actually have some still left that I won't touch.

So I can't say if I need it daily. I can't say if it'll help me. I can't say any of that because I always stop going to doctors. (This is the first time in this state that I've actually truly sought out help)

Within the last few years I've had about 10 different jobs. I've started and stopped school 3 times. It's really hard for me to keep with anything. I have to say I truly believe it's because of the ADHD. I'm really "supposed" to have a job right now. It's really affecting my relationship that I don't. And our money situation really sucks right now.

I'm very bad at even keeping doctors appointments. I've missed twice in a row with this one. The reason being she's only there on Mondays and the call to remind me about it on the Friday before. By the time Monday rolls around it's completely gone from my mind. Even tho I have the appointment card on my fridge.

Another reason I have problems with this doctor is I don't "really" see her face to face. She's over a computer screen on video call.

I just don't know the "proper" way of seeking out a new doctor. One who won't dismiss my thoughts and one who knows how to properly treat ADHD. Or can even see my struggle? I'm not good at even communicating it well as doctors also really freak me out for some reason.

It seems like you need medication , you are in very hard situation and you cant make your way out. You struggle.
Maybe you should ask help from your girlfriend to seek you a doctor.

There arent only adderall and wellbutrin(especially it is an anti depressant not ADHD med)

there are other types of amphetamine salts and methylphenidate those you can try out.

My suggestion for you , get out of this situation as soon as you can. Stick to your medicine until you figure out whats going on how you need med and when.

If adderall or wellbutrin dont help you , look for other medications.

Danbui2780
09-07-17, 01:03 PM
It's actually my husband, not a girlfriend.

He also has ADHD but he does a lot better in life than me.

He's had his job for going on five years now and doesn't see how I can't keep one.

He also dosent agree with taking medications or seeing doctors. So I don't think he would be very helpful for me.

He hates making any calls and it my job to pay all the bills. Which is why they're mostly late even tho he reminds me.

I'm going to try to find a new doctor I just don't know the actual what to say to them part. Like do I tell them it's because I felt like the one I was at doesn't know about treating ADHD? I feel like a little kid who got told no by mom so I'm asking dad. Like that's how they'll view me.

Emre22
09-07-17, 01:14 PM
It's actually my husband, not a girlfriend.

He also has ADHD but he does a lot better in life than me.

He's had his job for going on five years now and doesn't see how I can't keep one.

He also dosent agree with taking medications or seeing doctors. So I don't think he would be very helpful for me.

He hates making any calls and it my job to pay all the bills. Which is why they're mostly late even tho he reminds me.

I'm going to try to find a new doctor I just don't know the actual what to say to them part. Like do I tell them it's because I felt like the one I was at doesn't know about treating ADHD? I feel like a little kid who got told no by mom so I'm asking dad. Like that's how they'll view me.

I think you should handle ADHD together with your husband, if he has ADHD too , you should make him to get medication too. Your husband can support you during treatment process, he can do a lot if he gets on medication too.

I really dont know how to find a doctor in USA, it is very easy to find a psychatrist here, you only check hospitals which has psychatric clinic and make an appointment.

You only need to tell how you struggle to doctors, just be honest , tell how you feel exactly, how your life is going bad.

Lunacie
09-07-17, 02:59 PM
ADHD affects everything we do, not just work or school.

It affects our relationships, to drive safely, to make good choices.

Wellbutrin is actually an anti-depressant that can have a stimulating effect for
some people and may be given for ADHD off-label.

If Wellbutrin worked for everyone, there wouldn't be any other meds.

Some have bad side effects on one kind of med but do great on another kind.

If you have to travel to find another psychiatrist to prescribe meds, once you
know which one works for you your primary doctor can continue prescribing.

Danbui2780
09-08-17, 02:12 AM
Actually a pretty good idea to travel.

It would probably be a 2.5-3hr drive to get to one and getting there would be a struggle. But would be very worth it in my opinion. So I will look into that, thanks for the advice.

I actually never thought of that.

And ADHD has cause me driving problems actually. Rear ended 2 people. Some speeding tickets. Although moving to this small city has helped (less traffic, no freeways, I don't have to drive as much since everything is close)

And I've made many bad choices, unfortunately. Including suicide attempts which I actually think my ADHD has played a part in (feeling like such a failure I don't want to go on, stuff like that)

It'd be really nice to be seen by someone who actually understands all the ways ADHD can affect my life. Instead of just thinking of struggling in school or a job with a lot of paper work.

It makes me need to work way harder than anyone else, or at least that's the way I feel.

Anyways, I've gone off track but I do thank you for the idea to seek someone out who is farther than my city.

Danbui2780
09-08-17, 02:21 AM
If there a specific sub forum that could recomend a doctor in a certain city??

I'm struggling with just googleling. I'd like to see someone who is knowledgeable in treating ADHD if that's possible.

Lunacie
09-08-17, 12:50 PM
If there a specific sub forum that could recomend a doctor in a certain city??

I'm struggling with just googleling. I'd like to see someone who is knowledgeable in treating ADHD if that's possible.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191
Unfortunately there are not any recent posts.
One doctor in Santa Fe is recommended.
You could call his office and ask for recommendations near you.
Or check with the University in Albuquerque for recommendations.