View Full Version : Hyperfocus

emmy_1
09-06-17, 02:49 PM
Hi all,

I assume many of you have experienced hyperfocus on yourself when starting the relationship �� I'm in a situation where the hyperfocus*has gone some time ago*but 8*months ago my husband started*hyperfocusing on a female colleague (e.g. Texting all the time, calls, helping her with everything, coaching, etc.). I don't believe that there is anything romantic but he is talking about and with*her and meeting her almost every day.

When I told him that I have the feeling "someone else is living with us" and that I'm very confused and upset about his behavior and he has no time left for "us" he was very angry. He tried to explain that she really needs his "help" in those situations and that I have to respect that. He explained that he wants be a "good person" who is helping others who need help. I told him that I'm not accusing him to help others but of the huge amount of time (every day!) he is spending with her. But he wasn't able to get this point and was defending his situation.

Have you experienced a similar situation and do you have any Tips how to deal with this situation and this behavior?

many thanks!!*

Greyhound1
09-06-17, 03:15 PM
Hyper focus is usually something we have little to no control over. Things which are extremely stimulating cause it for me.

The stimulation isn't necessarily from something we like or enjoy. A car crash or a train wreck could cause hyper focus for me.

The fact that your husband is hyper focusing so much on a female colleague and for such a long time is a big red flag for me. Hyper focusing on a female colleague seems more like an interest or desire especially when it's done for months.

I hope, I am wrong and wish you the best with mending your relationship.

Kaia.S
09-06-17, 03:31 PM
Give it another month or so, my 'hyperfocus' on a person usually fades within a year :rolleyes:

I learned to communicate from my own vulnerability, so in stead of making any accusations, be open about how things make me feel, p.e in your case that you miss him? So that he doesn't feel he has to defend himself and hopefully can be more open to hear you (as another person who needs help), good luck!

emmy_1
09-06-17, 03:36 PM
Hi Greyhound,
many thanks for your prompt answer! That's an interesting fact I didnt' know about Hyperfocus. I had the hope that his behavior and his extreme defense is explainable with ADHD but maybe this was wishful thinking ... :(
Thanks again!!

Greyhound1
09-06-17, 04:28 PM
Hi Greyhound,
many thanks for your prompt answer! That's an interesting fact I didnt' know about Hyperfocus. I had the hope that his behavior and his extreme defense is explainable with ADHD but maybe this was wishful thinking ... :(
Thanks again!!

You are quite welcome. Just the fact you joined here to try and understand your husband's behavior and issues is very commendable. He's lucky to have you care enough to not just get jealous, angry and being done with him.

I hope you can have an open, honest and real conversation with him about this. I think that could really help. Discussing your concerns about hyper focus vs. infactuation vs. obsession regarding this colleague may be necessary.

Good luck with it!

sarahsweets
09-07-17, 04:38 AM
Huge red flag. In my experience the hyperfocus doesnt revolve around a person, per se. You have every right to want him to tune in to your married life and not have him be a knight n shining armor to another woman. He may not be cheating physically but emotionally he is.

TheGreatKing
09-07-17, 06:40 PM
hmm................. I never hyper focused on people before, didn't now you could, well actually when my father comes and visit we zone out everyone and just talk for hours. is that count? maybe ask to be included in helping out this individual, tag along you know, be part of the experience with him. I am not saying spy on him lol but see what the fuss is about and this female person actually needs that much help.

dopaminerush
09-08-17, 03:05 PM
Do it kindly. (stop it) ;)

ToneTone
09-09-17, 03:15 PM
I've been in your partner's position ... inquiring about my ADHD would not have been helpful. I needed my partner at the time to scream NO! ... which she did. I backed off.

At the time I would have said that my then-partner was overly jealous. Now I realize jealousy has its place! ... The fact was ... I was on the road towards getting romantically involved with this other person ... even though I would have denied it. I don't know if it was my ADHD that blocked my awareness ... or just my immaturity or lack of social skill and lack of self-awareness--probably a combination of all of these.

As others have said, this is a huge red flag ... and your wondering whether ADHD is involved--instead of simply screaming NO! ... is a red flag as well that you can do a better job standing up for yourself.

If your jealousy alarms are going off ... pay attention. Scream. Yell. Don't sit by in silence. It's his job to figure out the how and why ... on how to change his behavior. Not your job. Your job as partner is to make loud and clear how unnerved and scared and uncomfortable you are.

Tone

TheGreatKing
09-10-17, 06:16 PM
Sometimes you have to do what you don't like to get to where you want to be.

emmy_1
09-11-17, 02:06 PM
Thank you all so much for your feedback and understanding! You can not believe how it feels to not be alone in such a situation like this. In general I try to not show that I'm jealous because this is a topic my husband and I always end up in huge fights. He always argues that with being jealous I'm accusing him indirectly of cheating which he would never do (so he says...)) and that I have to accept that he is someone supporting people that need help. I'm really hesitating to bring up this topic as I'm afraid of this outcome. But I totally get you and I'm afraid I need to stand up for myself although this may be hard. @Tonetone: especially your post was really inspirational for me!
Thank you all so much!

sarahsweets
09-12-17, 04:47 AM
Whenever you are partnered with someone its not cool to use someone else for heavy emotional support..

kilted_scotsman
09-12-17, 10:35 AM
From what you say it would seem that your partner doesn't understand his ADHD.

If he is unaware fo how his ADHD affects him, his behaviour will inevitably hurt those around him, and probably exacerbate his symptoms.

The person with ADHD needs to lead and put the effort into understanding how their ADHD affects them and the people around them.

The partner is there for SUPPORT, not to be the lead on learning about and looking for coping strategies.

I recognise the behaviour you describe.....and it caused untold hurt for the people I love. I was right in that "Rescuer" thing in the "Drama Triangle" along with a kind of hyperfocus on (usually damaged) women who played the "victim" game.

In short BIG RED FLAGS.

The solution is about HIM recognising this behaviour is unhealthy....working out what is driving it..... (there's probably something in his family dynamic) and then working out how to neutralise it.

this may involve NOT rescuing/helping people...... and feeling the almost irresistible pull towards doing so (which is not pleasant to experience... think addict withdrawal).... the behaviour is likely to be a deep seated way of getting relational contact with others..... effectively "buying" it.

The thing you can be curious about is...... how did YOU end up in this relationship, did you give out signals of "needing" someone, did your relationship start with him helping you a lot, or are you an independent/take it or leave it type.

This type of behaviour is deep seated in ADDERs and almost impossible to shift unless the ADDER recognises its unhealthy aspects and digs down into the pain and loneliness that's driving it. Most of us are outcasts.... even though we can over it with other behaviours.... be it the clown, the life & soul, or the helper/rescuer. THese behaviours insulate us from the loneliness of living with ADHD.... but unfortunately they are counter-productive when we get into a more intimate relationship.

ScatterBrainX
09-19-17, 02:06 AM
You're definitely in the right.

Assuming he's really just helping out a coworker in need and there's nothing else going on, I can sort of see where he's coming from (although he's still in the wrong).

I had a similar defensive reaction with my SO a while ago. I was working from home and struggling with procrastination and getting started, and often ended up working late at night and weekends in a panic to finish my projects. My SO voiced his disappointment that I procrastinate so much and as a result we never get to spend time together. I felt guilty, and then angry: "damnit, I'm trying my best to make rent here, and you're upset with me for that?". Eventually I understood I was in the wrong, and have been keeping a much better schedule since.

See if you can approach it something like this: "I know you're a good person, it's part of why I love you so much, and I see how much you want to help your coworker. I'm not frustrated with you because of that. But don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm. It's good to help others, but if you sacrifice your own life to help them, soon you'll burn out and be unable to do so. Help her, but set some limits to it, she needs to learn to help herself too, if you're always there, she'll always rely on you and never become the strong, independent adult she can be. Take some time for yourself too, and for us, because I miss spending time with you. I know you love me too and want it too, even if her situation feels more urgent in the moment."

If he reacts negatively to that too, maybe there is more going on. But it's worth trying, before giving up on him.