View Full Version : Anyway to make IR work more like XR?

BonusPoints
09-07-17, 03:01 PM
My doctor recently prescribed me XR instead of IR as a trial. I don't have insurance, so the cost to me for 30qty 30mg XR was over 100 dollars. Anyway, the XR was a night and day difference for me. My emotions were stable, and I had absolutely NO anxiety like I get from IR kicking in.

With IR, I realized that I am emotional all day. Horny, Focused, Cold, Hot, Sweaty, Hungry, Tired, the list goes on. But on XR, I found I felt normal, just much more focused and because of this I was able to complete a LOT more work.

Now I just refilled yesterday, and I couldnt afford the XR again. Going back to this feels almost like its not the same medication at all! I read online about XR and looked at some dosing charts and felt curious about something.

Is there is a way to break up dosages throughout the day of my 30IR, to mimick the feeling of XR? If the XR is essentially just slowly releasing 30mg over an 8 hour period, and if IR reaches its peak 4 hours after taking it...

Maybe I can break up the pills into 10mg increments. Take one every hour at the beginning of the day? Or maybe a quarter every 1.5 hours?

Anyone tried this and had any success? I miss how smooth XR is!

MyAchillesheel
09-07-17, 05:08 PM
Bonuspoints,

If you are used to taking a 30mg xr then by all means cut that 30mg pill into quarters and try taking 1/4 every four hours and see how you feel.

If it is still too stimulating then take less, if not wirking the way you like then try 1/3 of a pill at a time.

As you already know the IR tablets hit you harder and faster than the xr forms.

You may find less is more but I don't envy your position as you have quite a bit of trial and error in front of you regarding the dosing pattern.

You will need to track the time from onset (how long it takes to kick in) and then how long it works for, up to the time it begins to fade and you crash/wrars off.

You are looking for it to kick in between 30 to 60 minutes and last @ 4 to 6 hours per dose prior to it wearing off.

The IR and XR are two different animals altogether and then when you factir in which genetic ir tablet you are taking...well that's another kettle of fish.

Lastly the Sandoz generic is supposed to be the most similar to the XR depending of course which generix xr you take..

There is always the Goodrx coupon you can google to use next time to see if you can get your xr for less than what you pay now. Just google Adderall xr cost and it will pull up the Goodrx site and then you can see what it will cost and which pharmacy to go to.

Hope you find a way to make the ir tablets work!!
Good luck!
-M

Amberg330
09-12-17, 10:24 PM
Take more often. Mine tends to wear off in 4 hours, so I take the every 3 hours. (Since they take about an hour to kick in it leaves no time for the effects not to be working) I've done this for months now seems to work :) just figure out when the ir wears off for you and take another dose an hour prior to that.

sarahsweets
09-13-17, 04:54 AM
I have always found that smaller more frequent doses of xr or ir to be better than one large or two larger doses. JMO.

Soraka
09-20-17, 03:07 AM
Take Licorice Root Extract each morning, which you can get from Amazon or any vitamin/supplement store. It's a natural inhibitor of the liver enzymes CYP3A4 and CYP2D6, which are involved in eliminating Adderall from your bloodstream. Inhibiting these enzymes will effectively extend the half-life of Adderall in your system. It will NOT increase the strength of the effects; it will simply make the effects last longer.

TrapezoidPills
09-20-17, 02:02 PM
Literally just had a pharmacist discussing this with me the other day with another drug.

Yes; it will raise the effective strength of it in your system because the drug is still being metabolized into your system, its just not being eliminated from your system anymore at the same rate it should be..

Thus... You have a higher effective dose.

reboxetine89
10-01-17, 06:33 PM
My doctor recently prescribed me XR instead of IR as a trial. I don't have insurance, so the cost to me for 30qty 30mg XR was over 100 dollars. Anyway, the XR was a night and day difference for me. My emotions were stable, and I had absolutely NO anxiety like I get from IR kicking in.

With IR, I realized that I am emotional all day. Horny, Focused, Cold, Hot, Sweaty, Hungry, Tired, the list goes on. But on XR, I found I felt normal, just much more focused and because of this I was able to complete a LOT more work.

Now I just refilled yesterday, and I couldnt afford the XR again. Going back to this feels almost like its not the same medication at all! I read online about XR and looked at some dosing charts and felt curious about something.

Is there is a way to break up dosages throughout the day of my 30IR, to mimick the feeling of XR? If the XR is essentially just slowly releasing 30mg over an 8 hour period, and if IR reaches its peak 4 hours after taking it...

Maybe I can break up the pills into 10mg increments. Take one every hour at the beginning of the day? Or maybe a quarter every 1.5 hours?

Anyone tried this and had any success? I miss how smooth XR is!

Really surprised you like XR over IR. On this forum and on some other drug forums I would say like 80% of people prefer IR over XR

Think the issue is stronger dosing and getting too high on IR(you). Problem is that there's a lot of other people who have the problem with XR, and it's not as easy to fix with IR.

With IR, you're all set, just cut the pill up(ie, easy to fix 'over stimulation' from IR). With XR, if the dose is too high, you're out of luck for a month until you can get the dose readjusted, and then let's hope that the dose is 'just right' and not too weak or too strong

Basically, I think IR is superior. And how much more expensive is XR than IR anyways??

sarahsweets
10-02-17, 09:23 AM
Really surprised you like XR over IR. On this forum and on some other drug forums I would say like 80% of people prefer IR over XR

Think the issue is stronger dosing and getting too high on IR(you). Problem is that there's a lot of other people who have the problem with XR, and it's not as easy to fix with IR.

With IR, you're all set, just cut the pill up(ie, easy to fix 'over stimulation' from IR). With XR, if the dose is too high, you're out of luck for a month until you can get the dose readjusted, and then let's hope that the dose is 'just right' and not too weak or too strong

Basically, I think IR is superior. And how much more expensive is XR than IR anyways??

I have some physical reasons why xr works better for me but I dose it as if its IR so eery 3-4 hours.