View Full Version : Is this real life?

AdrianEE
09-08-17, 05:12 PM
Hello people, I'm a 25 years guy. I am feeling hopeless, my mind is complete hell, I feel like I cannot even begin to scratch the surface of the real characteristics of my condition. The same with any other thing, theoretical or practical, I feel like I am missing out on the real essence of facts, reality, everything seems so relative to me.

That is sort of what I recently described to my psychiatrist(although he is not the only doctor I go to, he is the most competent). It was a consult, a short consult, where he only told me two things: First, that I have a chronic neurosis and that my mind is scared even of shadows. That fits well with the fact that I am suffering from a kind of anxiety that made me vomit on and off since 2012, when I was hospitalized and diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder by the best and oldest psychiatrist in this country. Since then, I have become very internalized, very careful with what I think, forever searching for something to explain my way of feeling and thinking and knowing that something deep inside is wrong, impure, stained. I was always tempted to invent things, lie to people without any reason or coherence probably to fill in the fact that somehow nothing seemed to make sense to my mind. I do not even remember what and how I have been through to so much nothing, time flies by me all the time. Anyway, anti-psychotics have been prescribed and have worked on and off for my nausea and vomiting, lately I have been on Quetiapine and Haloperidol. I have always wondered what depersonalization and anhedony really means for me and my condition, wondered if I am truly schizotypal and started believing it because I have always been attracted to philosophy and seemed to not understand the human condition of having a job, wondering how do people who sell fruit in a market do that for an entire day, what does it all mean and so on and so forth. However, this entire array of things may be part of me having an odd personality, but I feel like I am simple enough, not having anything out of the ordinary about me, just being kind of shallow and not being able to get to the essence of it all.

So anyway I am not making a lot of sense, these past weeks I think I have reached a point in my anxiety levels where I do not even want to try to be accurate and coherent, since it seems like I cannot attain that point which I lacked all my life. So the second thing that my psychiatrist told me in the short consult was that I have a concentration disorder, which makes my mind "jump out" of contexts and that it can be a disability, but mainly for intellectual activity and that I can function with it. I mentioned the idea of venlafaxine as an activator recommended to me by another doctor, solely for the purpose of giving me an energy boost since my current treatment seemed to make me kind of lethargic. He said it is a good idea, but that I would require medical supervision for a new anti-depressive and he had to take another patient, told me to reach out to him via phone to see what we can do. He is kind of criptic like that, but the point is that while searching for something similar to what the doctor told me, a "concentration disorder", on the Internet, I only found SCT and ADHD. This doctor may be and kind of is an atypical "hipster" doctor, but I do not think he believes in a mild or different entity of a disorder that I may suffer from or a disorder different from the only one accepted and described in medicine, that being ADHD.

And after reading a little bit of here and there about ADHD-I and SCT(SCT probably being a little bit less of compatible to me), it's like I've been oblivious to self-analyse myself in terms of concentration and attention. I feel like I am a little bit closer to finally finding something that I can accept as being part or my entire condition.

I will now be posting my plea to why I think I have a severe form(at least severe for me) of ADHD-I, although I feel like the diagnosis criterias, like all parts of the DSM, are a little bit restrictive in their simplicity.
Attention to details: Since I was in school, I have never paid attention to anything, simply going through years with engaging myself as little as possible in learning or taking stuff seriously. My over average intelligence helped me I guess, but since back then it was like if I had to learn something and reproduce it, I was just repeating it in my head, with no interest or ability to conceptualize over what I was in fact learning. And now in the present, I feel like even in TV shows or games, I am finding stuff that after tens of hours I have not noticed and feels like I simply used basic schemas as orientation in order to just go through with it. Twice I have forgot faces of people I have previously met, even if not knowing them all that often. Once, recently, I did not recognise a pretty straightforward girl that I've talked to in a train and then met two days later at a music festival. And once,couple back years ago, I mistook a girl for another girl that did not have anything in common looks-wise. These two incidents striked me as being unnatural and just know I think I can attempt to put them in the right context. Also, after reading even something as simple as a poetry, I can not remember what it was about. I find myself reading entire pages, then going back and feel like I read something new. Don't even get me started on whole books, it's like every day there is a different story, a different facet.

Sustaining attention: I feel like everything I think, process, has a short expiration date, like it's just a story that ends with leaving me kind of floating, with a vague recollection of actually understanding and that trying to think back feels like tens of years ago. Practically, in school I never even attempted to take anything seriously, just going on with the most basic stuff. And nowadays I feel easily bored by everything, it is like I am always underaroused and everything seems typical, flat. This is where the fact that my doctor said my mind jumps through contexts seems most valid, I can't do anything, because I feel like it's the same story, same organization of events. Most of my life I've been a spectator of Internet stuff and I have developed kind of an obsession with finding abstract or different things to solicit my attention. For example, I think I read it has something to do with working memory, even though I do not remember bands or songs from them, I was always seeking to listen to new music, hoarded lots of hundreds of gigabytes, judging if I like a band or not based on fastly skipping through 2-3 songs. Especially regarding lyrics, it's like I can't recall their meaning, even refrains some times.

Listen when spoken to: I have not engaged in many discussions throughout my life, but I can remember pretty well ordinary stuff, such as talking to my neighbor about ordering a jacket online. I have been a compulsive liar most of my life though, inventing stuff that barely connected to a real event or thought. Most of the times when talking about abstract philosophical stuff, I try to act like I am in control of the topic, but 1-2 years ago I started losing faith in anything I can think of since it does not seem to be accurate, I have buried myself in nihilistic mentalities and the feeling that there is no truth, everything is an impression, everything is relative. So I kind of listen when spoken to, but it's like I judge it all through a filter that deems everything other people say as basic, not interesting, not "profound".

Follow through on instructions, finishing projects: A relevant example out of many: I have tried to start solo learning computer programming lots of times, quitting because it felt to overwhelm me, like I would not be capable of empathising with it, like it was too complicated, I remember telling myself something like "but how does that happen, why it happens, what is a byte, I don't even understand why the lightbulb switches on". But objectively, it's like my capacity of being fully focused on that area was not enough, I would easily find myself overwhelmed with actual information, or better yet with the fact that I was slow in processing it and "making it mine". When I find myself in practical situations such as helping with a tent, it's like I have a blockage when trying to try to think about how that would unfold. I can follow instructions, but it feels like I am doing so as a monkey.

Difficulty organizing tasks and activities: Coherence or extended stability seem to completely not exist for me. I read something about ADHDers having problems initiating stuff and it fits me. It fits me in a most debilitating way, having for example surreal blockages even when I think about brushing my teeth, it's like it's hard for me to fastly process and picture the turning on of the water, the brushing, the entire act. I have quit a job because I kind of got scared or bored with the fact that we began working on another project, it was like while being on the first project it felt like it had meaning, but then something like a rupture happened. I think this condition of slipping out of contexts triggers some dynamic events that make me really anxious and hopeless, useless, like it didn't make sense. I attribute this to the fact of time perception, since events seem to not make me learn anything or be more flexible in front of events. I wholeheartedly feel like I am the same as I have been when I was 14, and I can't attribute that to a personality disorder, they all seem to not fit anything of my simple-like conception and functional utility. About strictly organizing anything about my life, I don't feel like I have even tried once to prioritize or try to arrange anything in a correct way. The description of the symptom, while somehow I feel like it is part of my condition, seems to me to be weird. While writing all this in a sort of manic manner, I feel again at a loss, as if I am losing something on the way, a big something, most of the something. I can only emphasize on the fact that me feeling that the entirety of the symptoms and expression of the ADHD-I condition is a solid feeling, that fits me throughout my life and I feel on one hand retarded for not noticing there is something wrong with me in these areas and not in the depersonalization-derealization-anhedony areas. And on the other hand I do not know how I could even begin to explain this to a doctor, since writing is my strong point and even now I am making a mess of things.

Engaging in tasks that require sustained mental effort: I feel like symptoms and my understanding and possible explanations of them overlapse a little bit here, but while depending on the task, I feel a relief concentrating myself on something, yet I cannot do it for long, since I experience a sort of exhaustion, like the "vibe" was gone and I am simply inclined to jump to the next thing or drop it. And after engaging in such a task, when I finish it if it's relatively short or give it up, I experience a microscopic "return to abyss", like an effervescent disolving which turns to a standard, default out of context state. Last year, while on Risperidone, which worked for a while for my vomiting, then started not working and giving me weird dispositions, it happened to me days in a row that after focusing myself on a TV show for example, when lifting my eyes out of the screen, it was actually like a short rupture which made me nauseous and triggered my vomiting reflex. THAT is how weird my quest in being diagnosed or at least receiving a good treatment has been. Nowadays I feel reluctant to even consider anything mentally challenging, since I seem to be stuck in the "everything is relative" false judgmental state.

Losing things: Kind of not, but I often feel like searching my pants to see if I missed something, always feeling like there is something extra I need when making a backpack, even though I can't seem to begin to think about what that thing is. Though this might be fairly irrelevant, don't feel it's pronounced enough. Although I kind of feel like it is a fairly stupid way to address the diagnosis.

Distracted by external stimuli: It seems like my specific condition leaves me a little bit more self-aware and I don't find that I am that easily distracted, but it might be because I am internalized enough that I don't really pay attention to external stuff. However, it also makes me reluctant to certain stimuli, which then caught my eye as new and not being observed again. For example, I find myself while walking the streets I grew up on and lived most of my life, that I am surprised there exist trees around this place, like it is a new observation. It is not really so pronounced as the words make it seem, but it seems consistent enough with the anxiety my mind is experiencing, as do all the other little things I have only now begun to pay attention to as relevant, all the things I can vaguely remember, but seem like they are extremely important as being part of a solid and objective representation to my condition and why I always knew there is something inherently wrong, not right. This symptom makes me most reluctant to actually believe myself that I might me suffering from ADHD-I, it feels like I am not really that out of it, but in my own basic conception of it, I think I have an expanded enough mind so that I don't really experience all of the symptoms as deeply as most do.

Forgetful in daily activities: Ugh, yes I often forget to do stuff, completely disappearing from my mind, but from one day to another I usually remember one thing. I have to keep in mind though that my life and chance of a real, active and crowded enough life so that I forget some stuff from several to do ... well, it's not really been there. I forget though what day it is every day, even when I was working I had to check what day it was before going to work. It does have to do more with the time issue than with forgetting, but I feel like the symptoms are somehow connected anyway, it's not surprising that ADHD seems to be the only concentration disorder real enough. It can very well also comprise a condition such as mine, I think and hope, since I do not know how much I can go on feeling this hopeless and lifeless. Even though I might also be slightly depersonalized and emotionally flattened, I myself, as my own observer and master, do not feel that I'm suffering from all that, it's not as debilitating as what I know think is my fundamental issue.Actually, I do not feel debilitated at all, as depression, depersonalization, anhedony would make a person feel. I think I simply struggled enough with internalizing, that I isolated myself out of not understanding what is wrong and being oblivious in front of "it", rather than feeling down or in an altered, pathological state.

Now, although I've written a lot and without coherence, I am fairly new to ADHD-I and reading about executive functioning, working memory and all those stuff. And I am new to beginning to understand how largely the condition actually spans, what a specific adult diagnosed person actually feels like with the condition and all that. So I am begging for any feedback, ideas on how or if to attempt to convince a doctor that I am actually in this bucket. Because I have never tried stimulants and if I am to have ADHD-I, I strongly think that aside from my possible neurosis and anxiety, I have to start being a little bit more in control and treating the fundamental condition seems to be more important than the other conditions/symptoms. I will meet with this same doctor that vaguely named my condition a "concentration disorder" on Tuesday and I will not have a lot of time to make this long and incoherent of a "plea". Any ideas, any assertions, any points I am missing, please, I feel lost.

Fluppets
09-14-17, 05:46 AM
Hi,

I have recently come round to accepting the ADD-PI label for myself (although it was diagnosed by age 14).

I personally look at ADD-PI as a learning disability and I put all the other things that have come with it (anxiety, social disorder, addiction, slight OCD and general crazzzyness) in this light. To me a learning disability fits the bill; more specifically a lack of long-term learning.

It's all about having to re-learn everything after a couple months, as if a reset has been pushed in. Like having to go to a completely new school every few months; that would make anyone go crazy.

The problem is the ADD-PI label is a collection of symptoms, like going to a doctor with fever and having him tell you "you've got fever". I tried to look at what's going on under the hood and IMHO it comes down to a long-term learning disability.

Practically though I would first focus on calming your mind and symptoms. I can only tell you what works for me, but your story sounds very familiar so here goes.

First Id look into a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) for the anxiety symptoms in quite a high dose and Aripiprazole (Abilify) for lack of focus in a low dose. Stay away from multiple-acting drugs because it is hard to evaluate which component is doing what. Personally I am looking to add some form of Guanfacine (lowering Norepinephrine) into the mix.

TL;DR: I feel you man; I think you're in the right place here. I take an SSRI (200mg) and Abilify (5mg) and it works for me. It helped me separate my primary problem (ADD-PI/learning disability) from all the rest (obsessive-compulsive behaviour, anxiety, social disorder, addictive behaviour, etc.)

Batman55
09-14-17, 11:51 PM
I personally look at ADD-PI as a learning disability and I put all the other things that have come with it (anxiety, social disorder, addiction, slight OCD and general crazzzyness) in this light. To me a learning disability fits the bill; more specifically a lack of long-term learning.

How would you describe your social difficulty?

May I ask if you have inflexible routines/rituals or a reliance on them for peace of mind?

adhome01
09-15-17, 12:09 AM
Hello people, I'm a 25 years guy. I am feeling hopeless, my mind is complete hell, I feel like I cannot even begin to scratch the surface of the real characteristics of my condition. The same with any other thing, theoretical or practical, I feel like I am missing out on the real essence of facts, reality, everything seems so relative to me.

That is sort of what I recently described to my psychiatrist(although he is not the only doctor I go to, he is the most competent). It was a consult, a short consult, where he only told me two things: First, that I have a chronic neurosis and that my mind is scared even of shadows. That fits well with the fact that I am suffering from a kind of anxiety that made me vomit on and off since 2012, when I was hospitalized and diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder by the best and oldest psychiatrist in this country. Since then, I have become very internalized, very careful with what I think, forever searching for something to explain my way of feeling and thinking and knowing that something deep inside is wrong, impure, stained. I was always tempted to invent things, lie to people without any reason or coherence probably to fill in the fact that somehow nothing seemed to make sense to my mind. I do not even remember what and how I have been through to so much nothing, time flies by me all the time. Anyway, anti-psychotics have been prescribed and have worked on and off for my nausea and vomiting, lately I have been on Quetiapine and Haloperidol. I have always wondered what depersonalization and anhedony really means for me and my condition, wondered if I am truly schizotypal and started believing it because I have always been attracted to philosophy and seemed to not understand the human condition of having a job, wondering how do people who sell fruit in a market do that for an entire day, what does it all mean and so on and so forth. However, this entire array of things may be part of me having an odd personality, but I feel like I am simple enough, not having anything out of the ordinary about me, just being kind of shallow and not being able to get to the essence of it all.

So anyway I am not making a lot of sense, these past weeks I think I have reached a point in my anxiety levels where I do not even want to try to be accurate and coherent, since it seems like I cannot attain that point which I lacked all my life. So the second thing that my psychiatrist told me in the short consult was that I have a concentration disorder, which makes my mind "jump out" of contexts and that it can be a disability, but mainly for intellectual activity and that I can function with it. I mentioned the idea of venlafaxine as an activator recommended to me by another doctor, solely for the purpose of giving me an energy boost since my current treatment seemed to make me kind of lethargic. He said it is a good idea, but that I would require medical supervision for a new anti-depressive and he had to take another patient, told me to reach out to him via phone to see what we can do. He is kind of criptic like that, but the point is that while searching for something similar to what the doctor told me, a "concentration disorder", on the Internet, I only found SCT and ADHD. This doctor may be and kind of is an atypical "hipster" doctor, but I do not think he believes in a mild or different entity of a disorder that I may suffer from or a disorder different from the only one accepted and described in medicine, that being ADHD.

And after reading a little bit of here and there about ADHD-I and SCT(SCT probably being a little bit less of compatible to me), it's like I've been oblivious to self-analyse myself in terms of concentration and attention. I feel like I am a little bit closer to finally finding something that I can accept as being part or my entire condition.

I will now be posting my plea to why I think I have a severe form(at least severe for me) of ADHD-I, although I feel like the diagnosis criterias, like all parts of the DSM, are a little bit restrictive in their simplicity.
Attention to details: Since I was in school, I have never paid attention to anything, simply going through years with engaging myself as little as possible in learning or taking stuff seriously. My over average intelligence helped me I guess, but since back then it was like if I had to learn something and reproduce it, I was just repeating it in my head, with no interest or ability to conceptualize over what I was in fact learning. And now in the present, I feel like even in TV shows or games, I am finding stuff that after tens of hours I have not noticed and feels like I simply used basic schemas as orientation in order to just go through with it. Twice I have forgot faces of people I have previously met, even if not knowing them all that often. Once, recently, I did not recognise a pretty straightforward girl that I've talked to in a train and then met two days later at a music festival. And once,couple back years ago, I mistook a girl for another girl that did not have anything in common looks-wise. These two incidents striked me as being unnatural and just know I think I can attempt to put them in the right context. Also, after reading even something as simple as a poetry, I can not remember what it was about. I find myself reading entire pages, then going back and feel like I read something new. Don't even get me started on whole books, it's like every day there is a different story, a different facet.

Sustaining attention: I feel like everything I think, process, has a short expiration date, like it's just a story that ends with leaving me kind of floating, with a vague recollection of actually understanding and that trying to think back feels like tens of years ago. Practically, in school I never even attempted to take anything seriously, just going on with the most basic stuff. And nowadays I feel easily bored by everything, it is like I am always underaroused and everything seems typical, flat. This is where the fact that my doctor said my mind jumps through contexts seems most valid, I can't do anything, because I feel like it's the same story, same organization of events. Most of my life I've been a spectator of Internet stuff and I have developed kind of an obsession with finding abstract or different things to solicit my attention. For example, I think I read it has something to do with working memory, even though I do not remember bands or songs from them, I was always seeking to listen to new music, hoarded lots of hundreds of gigabytes, judging if I like a band or not based on fastly skipping through 2-3 songs. Especially regarding lyrics, it's like I can't recall their meaning, even refrains some times.

Listen when spoken to: I have not engaged in many discussions throughout my life, but I can remember pretty well ordinary stuff, such as talking to my neighbor about ordering a jacket online. I have been a compulsive liar most of my life though, inventing stuff that barely connected to a real event or thought. Most of the times when talking about abstract philosophical stuff, I try to act like I am in control of the topic, but 1-2 years ago I started losing faith in anything I can think of since it does not seem to be accurate, I have buried myself in nihilistic mentalities and the feeling that there is no truth, everything is an impression, everything is relative. So I kind of listen when spoken to, but it's like I judge it all through a filter that deems everything other people say as basic, not interesting, not "profound".

Follow through on instructions, finishing projects: A relevant example out of many: I have tried to start solo learning computer programming lots of times, quitting because it felt to overwhelm me, like I would not be capable of empathising with it, like it was too complicated, I remember telling myself something like "but how does that happen, why it happens, what is a byte, I don't even understand why the lightbulb switches on". But objectively, it's like my capacity of being fully focused on that area was not enough, I would easily find myself overwhelmed with actual information, or better yet with the fact that I was slow in processing it and "making it mine". When I find myself in practical situations such as helping with a tent, it's like I have a blockage when trying to try to think about how that would unfold. I can follow instructions, but it feels like I am doing so as a monkey.

Difficulty organizing tasks and activities: Coherence or extended stability seem to completely not exist for me. I read something about ADHDers having problems initiating stuff and it fits me. It fits me in a most debilitating way, having for example surreal blockages even when I think about brushing my teeth, it's like it's hard for me to fastly process and picture the turning on of the water, the brushing, the entire act. I have quit a job because I kind of got scared or bored with the fact that we began working on another project, it was like while being on the first project it felt like it had meaning, but then something like a rupture happened. I think this condition of slipping out of contexts triggers some dynamic events that make me really anxious and hopeless, useless, like it didn't make sense. I attribute this to the fact of time perception, since events seem to not make me learn anything or be more flexible in front of events. I wholeheartedly feel like I am the same as I have been when I was 14, and I can't attribute that to a personality disorder, they all seem to not fit anything of my simple-like conception and functional utility. About strictly organizing anything about my life, I don't feel like I have even tried once to prioritize or try to arrange anything in a correct way. The description of the symptom, while somehow I feel like it is part of my condition, seems to me to be weird. While writing all this in a sort of manic manner, I feel again at a loss, as if I am losing something on the way, a big something, most of the something. I can only emphasize on the fact that me feeling that the entirety of the symptoms and expression of the ADHD-I condition is a solid feeling, that fits me throughout my life and I feel on one hand retarded for not noticing there is something wrong with me in these areas and not in the depersonalization-derealization-anhedony areas. And on the other hand I do not know how I could even begin to explain this to a doctor, since writing is my strong point and even now I am making a mess of things.

Engaging in tasks that require sustained mental effort: I feel like symptoms and my understanding and possible explanations of them overlapse a little bit here, but while depending on the task, I feel a relief concentrating myself on something, yet I cannot do it for long, since I experience a sort of exhaustion, like the "vibe" was gone and I am simply inclined to jump to the next thing or drop it. And after engaging in such a task, when I finish it if it's relatively short or give it up, I experience a microscopic "return to abyss", like an effervescent disolving which turns to a standard, default out of context state. Last year, while on Risperidone, which worked for a while for my vomiting, then started not working and giving me weird dispositions, it happened to me days in a row that after focusing myself on a TV show for example, when lifting my eyes out of the screen, it was actually like a short rupture which made me nauseous and triggered my vomiting reflex. THAT is how weird my quest in being diagnosed or at least receiving a good treatment has been. Nowadays I feel reluctant to even consider anything mentally challenging, since I seem to be stuck in the "everything is relative" false judgmental state.

Losing things: Kind of not, but I often feel like searching my pants to see if I missed something, always feeling like there is something extra I need when making a backpack, even though I can't seem to begin to think about what that thing is. Though this might be fairly irrelevant, don't feel it's pronounced enough. Although I kind of feel like it is a fairly stupid way to address the diagnosis.

Distracted by external stimuli: It seems like my specific condition leaves me a little bit more self-aware and I don't find that I am that easily distracted, but it might be because I am internalized enough that I don't really pay attention to external stuff. However, it also makes me reluctant to certain stimuli, which then caught my eye as new and not being observed again. For example, I find myself while walking the streets I grew up on and lived most of my life, that I am surprised there exist trees around this place, like it is a new observation. It is not really so pronounced as the words make it seem, but it seems consistent enough with the anxiety my mind is experiencing, as do all the other little things I have only now begun to pay attention to as relevant, all the things I can vaguely remember, but seem like they are extremely important as being part of a solid and objective representation to my condition and why I always knew there is something inherently wrong, not right. This symptom makes me most reluctant to actually believe myself that I might me suffering from ADHD-I, it feels like I am not really that out of it, but in my own basic conception of it, I think I have an expanded enough mind so that I don't really experience all of the symptoms as deeply as most do.

Forgetful in daily activities: Ugh, yes I often forget to do stuff, completely disappearing from my mind, but from one day to another I usually remember one thing. I have to keep in mind though that my life and chance of a real, active and crowded enough life so that I forget some stuff from several to do ... well, it's not really been there. I forget though what day it is every day, even when I was working I had to check what day it was before going to work. It does have to do more with the time issue than with forgetting, but I feel like the symptoms are somehow connected anyway, it's not surprising that ADHD seems to be the only concentration disorder real enough. It can very well also comprise a condition such as mine, I think and hope, since I do not know how much I can go on feeling this hopeless and lifeless. Even though I might also be slightly depersonalized and emotionally flattened, I myself, as my own observer and master, do not feel that I'm suffering from all that, it's not as debilitating as what I know think is my fundamental issue.Actually, I do not feel debilitated at all, as depression, depersonalization, anhedony would make a person feel. I think I simply struggled enough with internalizing, that I isolated myself out of not understanding what is wrong and being oblivious in front of "it", rather than feeling down or in an altered, pathological state.

Now, although I've written a lot and without coherence, I am fairly new to ADHD-I and reading about executive functioning, working memory and all those stuff. And I am new to beginning to understand how largely the condition actually spans, what a specific adult diagnosed person actually feels like with the condition and all that. So I am begging for any feedback, ideas on how or if to attempt to convince a doctor that I am actually in this bucket. Because I have never tried stimulants and if I am to have ADHD-I, I strongly think that aside from my possible neurosis and anxiety, I have to start being a little bit more in control and treating the fundamental condition seems to be more important than the other conditions/symptoms. I will meet with this same doctor that vaguely named my condition a "concentration disorder" on Tuesday and I will not have a lot of time to make this long and incoherent of a "plea". Any ideas, any assertions, any points I am missing, please, I feel lost.

Considering you were able to write all that, and with no mistakes, I'd say you didn't suffer from ADD in any form. Heck, I'd just wish I was able to read it all without getting distracted.

Batman55
09-15-17, 12:23 AM
Considering you were able to write all that, and with no mistakes, I'd say you didn't suffer from ADD in any form. Heck, I'd just wish I was able to read it all without getting distracted.

Well, there's no way in hell I'd try and read an entire post of that size anymore, unless it was broken up into even smaller paragraphs and preferably cut-down to just essentials.

I don't know if writing a ridiculously long post reduces likelihood of ADD, though. It depends on how long he took to write it. Speed of execution, AFAIK, is a much greater indicator. If he's a very fast writer--and this part is just my opinion--that seems to clash a bit with ADHD. You see, ADHD is a disorder of executive functions, which generally means difficulty with output. Writing is an important form of output, obviously. Long, cogent essays written at an NT-like pace (in other words, FAST), that would make me wonder if it's something else.

But he's only written one post, perhaps (like me) he takes a long time to write, we won't know until he comes back.

Now, the silver-lining to all this, ADDers and folks with other kinds of developmental issues can still be incredible writers, it's just that most of the time they won't be very fast. That's the trade-off for the unusual vantage point and brazen creativity, you see.

sarahsweets
09-15-17, 03:58 AM

Just like you cant judge someone's adhd by how well they do in school, you cant judge it based on long posts. I am a good writer with an English degree. I am unable to work yet Ive written papers on Othello. I still have severe adhd.