View Full Version : If not stimulants, what medication helps you with "lack of motivation"?

Exuberantfrost
09-09-17, 11:00 AM
I've experienced stimulants helping significantly in terms of increasing focus and concentration, but it hardly does anything to treat my daily depression and "lack of motivation". So I was wondering which drugs (if any), that has helped you with "lack of motivation/depression".

Emre22
09-09-17, 12:00 PM
I have a similar situation like yours
I use stablon(tianeptine) and concerta , lack of motivation/ feeling unable to do anything no motivation. This kind of depression is connected to dopaminergic system(only my opinion) thats why SSRI's and SNRI's arent working for us

I also used wellbutrin for 1.5 year , it really worked well for me during that time then i passed to stablon(tianeptine)

Stablon(tianeptine)
Wellbutrin(bupropion)
Survector(amineptine) / if you can find it , it is DRI(Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor) it would be really beneficial(i cant find it in my country)

Wellbutrin is a NDRI( norepinephrine-dopamine re-uptake inhibitor), but it is very weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor)
Stablon is unique anti-depressant, (it is effective on glutamate system, serotonin reuptake enhancer, it enhances mesolimbic release of dopamine , μ-opioid receptor agonist)

Lunacie
09-09-17, 02:10 PM
I've been taking Vitamin D3 for several years and feel like it helps with my
depression.

I recently tried CBD (hemp oil) and noticed a slight effect. My adult niece
swears by the hemp oil combined with her Pilates.

Some people believe Omega 3 (fish oil) helps with mood disorders. I've been
using it for a dozen years and haven't noticed any benefit to mood myself.

But frankly, the biggest benefit for myself and my family has been to add an
anti-depressant to treat our anxiety. We recently increased my granddaughter's
dose and she's more engaged and willing to do things instead of vegging out on
the computer.

Exuberantfrost
09-11-17, 12:11 PM
It sure is underwhelmingly few people who care to participate in this poll. Thougt it was a very significant issue and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who thinks that. Anyway it seems to be a great idea to try and give dopamine-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor's, so I might ask my doctor for that, although Strattera (atomoxetine) was a quite a disapppointment, maybe Wellbutrin will work better.

Emre22
09-11-17, 01:44 PM
It sure is underwhelmingly few people who care to participate in this poll. Thougt it was a very significant issue and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who thinks that. Anyway it seems to be a great idea to try and give dopamine-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor's, so I might ask my doctor for that, although Strattera (atomoxetine) was a quite a disapppointment, maybe Wellbutrin will work better.

You must understand that you have very few options if you are looking for non-stimulant medication.

I think this is a big problem, psychiatric community doesnt care or ignore dopamine deficiancy's role in depression and other conditions.
They do it because of fear of abusement of medications. They think that Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitors are open to abuse.
They are only focused on nor-adrenaline and serotonin instead of focusing on three of them(serotonin&nor-aderenaline-dopamine)

Exuberantfrost
09-12-17, 05:28 AM
You must understand that you have very few options if you are looking for non-stimulant medication.

It's funny. In my country, this is regarded as so many, and I'd be looked upon as well-informed of the subject knowing drugs like Intuniv and Clonidine. Kind of terrifying to think of actually. In my country people with ADHD/ADD are typically only treated with one drug, and psychiatrist get insecure or confused if you ask to take a stimulant in conjunction with another drug. Guess that confirms my theory about if I want to create significant changes in terms of treating ADD, I have to find the information myself. The "so-called experts" in my country (Denmark) aren't the ones who's gonna come up with the solutions.

Emre22
09-12-17, 06:32 AM
It's funny. In my country, this is regarded as so many, and I'd be looked upon as well-informed of the subject knowing drugs like Intuniv and Clonidine. Kind of terrifying to think of actually. In my country people with ADHD/ADD are typically only treated with one drug, and psychiatrist get insecure or confused if you ask to take a stimulant in conjunction with another drug. Guess that confirms my theory about if I want to create significant changes in terms of treating ADD, I have to find the information myself. The "so-called experts" in my country (Denmark) aren't the ones who's gonna come up with the solutions.

Have you tried out all stimulant medications? I think it is better to use all stimulant options before thinking about non-stimulant medications.

samilia
09-18-17, 07:33 AM
Not sure where you are in the world, but reboxetine (NOREPINEPHRINE REUPTAKE INHIBITOR) Gave me incredible motivation. I loved the drug but it gave me insomnia so bad. So thats why i stopped. I am on strattera. I dont really think it helps with motivation at all.
Anyways, im in Australia. I think reboxetine is only available in few countries.