View Full Version : Most effective and affordable ADHD medications??

jen78sc
09-11-17, 02:21 PM
I could really use some advice. My husband has a dr's appt tommorrow and is going to try to get some type of ADHD medication. Unfortunately we dont have any insurance, we are doing a sliding scale program for dr's appointments. Anyway so ideally, we would like to know what is most effective (with the least amount of side effects) that is also affordable. I really appreciate any suggestions!!

Lunacie
09-11-17, 02:36 PM
Some of us have found that Omega 3 (fish oil) supplements are very helpful ...
and inexpensive. Absolutely worth trying before spending big bucks.

There is a program that tells you how much meds cost in your area, and also
gives coupons for discounts on meds. Sorry but I don't remember the name. :(

jen78sc
09-11-17, 02:57 PM
Thanks I did find some coupons online. Fish oil is good for sure,just thinking he needs something stronger

Little Missy
09-11-17, 04:13 PM
Your doctor will know what medications to point you to within your budget limits.

Lunacie
09-11-17, 04:46 PM
Your doctor will know what medications to point you to within your budget limits.

That hasn't been my experience, either with primary docs or psychiatrists. :(

Little Missy
09-11-17, 07:05 PM
That hasn't been my experience, either with primary docs or psychiatrists. :(

Awww..I've had good luck with mine making recommendations and such. Sorry you have not.

Lunacie
09-11-17, 07:27 PM
Awww..I've had good luck with mine making recommendations and such. Sorry you have not.

Oh, they've made recommendations, but were usually waaaaaay off on price.

aeon
09-11-17, 09:12 PM
IR Ritalin as a generic will typically be the least expensive medication you can get.

Cheers,
Ian

Swissy
09-12-17, 10:50 AM
If he is given a recommendation for stimulant, adderall IR tablets are what I decided on for both price point and effectiveness. Originally I was prescribed Vyvanse, but even with a coupon it would have cost about $240/ month! Adderall XR was better but still high $. Look up prices at different pharmacies at good RX (app or website)

jen78sc
09-12-17, 02:59 PM
thanks everyone.. His dr prescribed him wellbutrin. Apparently it is used for ADHD. Has anyone had any experience with this?

aeon
09-12-17, 03:16 PM
thanks everyone.. His dr prescribed him wellbutrin. Apparently it is used for ADHD. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Wellbutrin is a third-line treatment for ADHD.

Iíve had it, and it has about a 2% effect on my ADHD.

It seems like that doctor either has concerns about prescribing a psychostimulant or is clueless about ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian

CharlesH
09-12-17, 05:29 PM
Generic instant release medications: Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine. The main issue with instant release is that your son will probably have to redose throughout the day, and some children feel stigmatized by having to go to the school nurse daily. Generic Wellbutrin and Intuniv are also cheap, but they're not considered first line medications.

sarahsweets
09-13-17, 04:39 AM
I could really use some advice. My husband has a dr's appt tommorrow and is going to try to get some type of ADHD medication. Unfortunately we dont have any insurance, we are doing a sliding scale program for dr's appointments. Anyway so ideally, we would like to know what is most effective (with the least amount of side effects) that is also affordable. I really appreciate any suggestions!!

Has he been diagnosed with adhd? What does the doctor think when he discussed the adhd during his diagnosis process/ appt?