View Full Version : Please Help, I'm Becoming Hopeless. ADD?

mranonymous
09-11-17, 05:33 PM
Hello:

I am a 33 year old male and I am starting to become hopeless. I am still living at home, my business is pretty much dead, and I'm totally broke. All I've done for the last 3 years is play video games.

In 2008, I actually managed to build a successful music business with my biz partner. I feel like it was partially lucky though, in that I have a natural gift of music, didn't have to work very hard, and made a lot of money. However, all of that is gone now and I just can NOT get any work done at all to rebuild my business.

I procrastinate with EVERYTHING. If I try to read, I end up skimming and quitting. I lost my health insurance because I was too lazy to mail them my proof of income.

In 2011, I turned to drugs for motivation to work. An oxy habit turned into heroin, and I overdosed multiple times and had 3 seizures. I am now 4 years clean (which is about the only positive thing I've been able to do).

I've dismissed adult ADD for years now, because I wasn't really a hyper kid. I was, however, very unfocused in school and hated school authority. I wasn't a "bad" kid, and was in advanced classes, but I did get a lot of detentions.

My social life is laughable. I have a few friends who I hang out with, but fear of rejection has limited me to 2 girlfriends in my entire life. I have no friends who are girls, and I have no plans to talk to any until I can get my life together.

I did actually try Adderall once about 7 years ago (my friend gave me one after we stayed up all night and had to paint), and it made me feel normal for the first time in my life. I was happy, got things done, had no depression, etc. I did feel a bit speedy...would that mean that I don't have ADD, as it's supposed to make people with it feel normal and "chilled out"?

Could I have ADD? I feel like it's hopeless to even ask a doctor about it. What would I tell/ask them?

Thank you SO much for any help or direction.

TheGreatKing
09-11-17, 06:39 PM
i would start by saying exactly what you just said but say it to your doctor or a psychiatrist and go from there, if you think you might have a disorder then the best thing for you is to get a diagnoses so you can better your life. its a possibility that you might have ADD but no one here will give you a definite yes because we are not a doctors.

mranonymous
09-11-17, 06:45 PM
Thank you for the speedy response. I'll make an appointment and bring these issues up.

Could I ask you this though...I understand that nobody here can diagnose me, but do the symptoms I discussed in my original post sound consistent with the symptoms of adult ADD?

I just want to get my bearings, because I am so broke right now that paying for a single doctor's visit is a big deal.

Thanks!

Emre22
09-11-17, 06:49 PM
There is inattentive type of ADHD you dont need to be hyper when u was a kid. Your situation sounds like depression or ADHD.
I had fear of rejection like you , but i can say that i was lucky , i had many relationships(unlucky all of them was unsuccesful my longest relationship was 1 year long,i have an ongoing one but probably it will end too soon)

Also self-medication can be result of depression or adhd ( your past heroin addiction)

You need to tell whatever annoys you to your doctor .

Batman55
09-11-17, 11:51 PM
You do not "get" a relationship, it just happens, that's the mistake you folks are making.

And it's not about what you do (do you want a shallow person as your partner? then use that metric) it's about what you are.

sarahsweets
09-12-17, 04:19 AM
You do not "get" a relationship, it just happens, that's the mistake you folks are making.

And it's not about what you do (do you want a shallow person as your partner? then use that metric) it's about what you are.

I don't think the op was asking about getting into a relationship. He's asking about ADHD.