View Full Version : I procrastinate everything (including going to school)

brittaperry
09-13-17, 12:33 AM
Hi. I was diagnosed with ADHD combined type when I was 7 and now I'm 15. In the morning I procrastinate going to school. I show up max 2 days a week at lunchtime and I've been offered everything in the world to get up in the morning and go to school and I still can't do it. I always say to myself "I'll go tomorrow." I'll go in an hour.". My parents have even offered to pay me to go to school and still nothing. It honestly feels like it's out of my control. The truancy officers are on my case and I'm going to have to repeat this year if I can't get it together soon. My psychologist is telling me there is no medical reason I can't be at school. I'm taking Concerta 36mg but I don't think that is enough. I'm between psychiatrists so I can't get my medication changed anytime soon. I cry a lot because I feel so frustrated with this. I want to go to school but my brain doesn't want me to. If anyone has been through anything like this and knows what the next step I should take is I would really appreciate it.

namazu
09-13-17, 12:55 AM
Is the problem mostly waking up in the morning?
Or getting organized/dressed/etc.?
Or is it just an aversion to school in general?
Are you OK with going other places, or do you have difficulty getting out of the house?

sarahsweets
09-13-17, 04:21 AM
Have you or your parents considered online/home schooling? I think a members' granddaughter(Lunacie) had success with this type of schooling

TheGreatKing
09-15-17, 07:19 PM
Have you or your parents considered online/home schooling? I think a members' granddaughter(Lunacie) had success with this type of schooling

After getting expelled from school, i had no other choice but to do homeschooling/distance learning and honestly it was the best i ever did in a school program. It still takes some kind of support(example: parents checking in on your work). No pressure at all. It was great. Then i went to school again and got expelled again and went back to distance learning and graduated. Honestly from what i remember from it i loved. Help me out a lot. I would never graduated unless i had that opportunity.

namazu
10-17-17, 09:29 AM
How are things going?

Saw this article and thought of you: http://www.npr.org/2017/10/16/558097820/educators-employ-strategies-to-help-kids-with-anxiety-return-to-school

Fraser_0762
10-17-17, 09:36 AM
You mean your parents don't force you out of bed and take you there themselves? I didn't have the option of not going to school. If I laid in bed too long, my mum would come through with a bucket of cold water to wake me up. She would be on my case constantly until I was ready, then she would drive me straight there.

It was horrible, but it worked. (oh and I didn't get paid to be there either)

namazu
10-17-17, 09:38 AM
I had cold water thrown in my face sometimes, too, but that wasn't always sufficient....

Fraser_0762
10-17-17, 09:39 AM
I had cold water thrown in my face sometimes, too, but that wasn't always sufficient....

Oh, she didn't throw cold water over my face. She stuck my face in the bucket to create a wake or drown scenario. Very sufficient.