View Full Version : Pharmacy told me there is shortage

Babyd19
09-15-17, 07:14 AM
So I went to pick up refill at the pharmacy and the Pharmacist told me that my prescription will look different from the usual as there is "a shortage of this drug" ... I received the small white pill (Mallinkrot???) which I have never had before.
I am so worried now. I even said to the Pharmacist "oh no...this was a nightmare when it happened last time!"
Has anyone else heard of there being a shortage of the immediate release generics??? Omg... I really hope this is not the case as it really was panic/anxiety inducing when we had a shortage....

namazu
09-15-17, 10:16 AM
The FDA's Drug Shortages Database (https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/default.cfm) doesn't list any shortages for Adderall (yet).

However, they do show that Impax has discontinued making its generic, so there could be fewer generics available now.

MyAchillesheel
09-16-17, 02:43 AM
BabyD19,

No shortages of adderall here in Arizona.
That said, here is a list of the current manufacturers of generic adderall currently available:

Mallinckrodt

Aurobindo aka Aurolife

Teva

Sandoz (aka Eon manufactured by Epic Pharma)

Mylan

Sun Pharma

Alvogen aka Norwich Pharmaceuticals

Teva generic / Actavis Watson version: but in either a white or pink onlong tablet not the regular orange Teva tablet everyone is so familiar with.

Discontinued generic adderall: RIP
Actavis (circa 2016)
Corepharma (circa 2017)

The two most commonly available are Mallinckrodt and Aurobindo. These are also the two weakest and poorest perfoming forms of generic adderall.

Teva is always around and a better performer than the other two previously mentioned

Sandoz is currently the most expensive of the generic IR tablets and is tough to find and is usually considered the best....but.....to each their own

Mylan and Sun Pharma are beginning to show up more often now but not enough feedback to offer an opinion of good or poor

Alvogen/Norwich Pharmaceutical just cropped up on the dailymed boards. Have not seen it out in the market yet

Bottom line: Try all the generic adderall forms of IR tablets and find a generic manufacturer that works well for you. It's all trial and error.

TrapezoidPills
09-17-17, 06:31 AM
Shortages are also regional and you usually can't find out unless you actually have a live script at the specific pharmacy.

Shortage by and large also depends on the source of the drugs for the pharmacy, some can get things in some places easier than others.

Greyhound1
09-17-17, 10:27 AM
Frequently, I've had difficulty getting Adderall filled near the end of the month. There is always a shortage the last few days of it here.

Each pharmacy only gets a certain allotment each month. When they are out they are out until the next allotment the following month.

I don't believe there is any shortage of medication but rather an FDA imposed shortage of distribution at times perhaps.

TrapezoidPills
09-17-17, 03:18 PM
As an added reason (at least as far as I know?) our system can't tell in advance that you're going to need X amount of pills unless we have the script already in the system and scheduled already; which is a bit hard for CII scripts that expire 30days in our system after entered so.. You can't get them really into the system too early before they're needed and then they can't easily be factored into the order ahead of time because of that.

sarahsweets
09-18-17, 04:40 AM
As an added reason (at least as far as I know?) our system can't tell in advance that you're going to need X amount of pills unless we have the script already in the system and scheduled already; which is a bit hard for CII scripts that expire 30days in our system after entered so.. You can't get them really into the system too early before they're needed and then they can't easily be factored into the order ahead of time because of that.

To piggy back your post...
The companies that manufacture the meds also have to estimate how much medication is needed because they sort of have to "order/obtain" the raw ingredient(like the actual amphetamine part) from the powers that be based on an estimate of previous prescriptions and pharmacy orders. Its not like they keep pumping out adderall in their factory all day long, they have to get the raw ingredient in a specific legal way.

JRL1974
09-22-17, 04:16 PM
CVS North of Boston told me generic adderall ir is on backorder. I waited for her to give me more info like when I can expect to get my rx filled. She asked me to wait a minute, she walked over to the pharmacist said something quietly to him, walked back over to me and said we do have some but it's not the regular manufacturer we give you. I told her ok fill it. The manufacturer was Mallinckrodt. The next day I took my first dose from that new script and all went to hell for me. I fell asleep an hour after taking it, I couldn't stop yawning all day, I had bad acid reflux, my mind was running 100 mph, I couldn't stop eating, had no motivation. My partner asked to me to go shopping with him to get my out of the house because he knew something wasn't right about this pill. I started to struggle to find words, I couldn't recall what day or month it was, at one point I thought it was very near Christmas because I heard someone say an early Christmas gift. When we got home I cried 3 times because I couldn't form full thought and couldn't say a full sentence. I ended up calling the pharmacy and they told me people react differently to different manufactures. My psychiatrist didn't seem to believe me but switched me to Ritalin until the shortage is over. I did recall him saying to me last week when he gave me a paper rx, you might have a hard time getting it filled. Now I see what he was telling me. He never gives me paper rx, he always does it through his computer. Good luck and I hope the shortage ends soon. By the way the Ritalin IR sucks, it's not working 10mg 3 times a day, I'm sure the dose is too low, I'm used to 20 mg ir adderall 2 times a day :confused:

Lunacie
09-22-17, 04:55 PM
CVS North of Boston told me generic adderall ir is on backorder. I waited for her to give me more info like when I can expect to get my rx filled. She asked me to wait a minute, she walked over to the pharmacist said something quietly to him, walked back over to me and said we do have some but it's not the regular manufacturer we give you. I told her ok fill it. The manufacturer was Mallinckrodt. The next day I took my first dose from that new script and all went to hell for me. I fell asleep an hour after taking it, I couldn't stop yawning all day, I had bad acid reflux, my mind was running 100 mph, I couldn't stop eating, had no motivation. My partner asked to me to go shopping with him to get my out of the house because he knew something wasn't right about this pill. I started to struggle to find words, I couldn't recall what day or month it was, at one point I thought it was very near Christmas because I heard someone say an early Christmas gift. When we got home I cried 3 times because I couldn't form full thought and couldn't say a full sentence. I ended up calling the pharmacy and they told me people react differently to different manufactures. My psychiatrist didn't seem to believe me but switched me to Ritalin until the shortage is over. I did recall him saying to me last week when he gave me a paper rx, you might have a hard time getting it filled. Now I see what he was telling me. He never gives me paper rx, he always does it through his computer. Good luck and I hope the shortage ends soon. By the way the Ritalin IR sucks, it's not working 10mg 3 times a day, I'm sure the dose is too low, I'm used to 20 mg ir adderall 2 times a day :confused:

You may need a higher dose of Ritalin than that, but the doctor was right to
start you on a low dose in case there were any unwanted side effects. The
bigger the dose, the worse the side effects may be.

Babyd19
09-24-17, 10:07 AM
So there is a shortage then? Are we talking a shortage of certain generic manufacturers or a shortage like the we had in '10/'11 (I think that was the year but I try to block it out cause it was so traumatizing ) when I had to call around before attempting to get my Rx filled resulting in nasty comments, suspicious looks and having to go to different pharmacies every month....ugh

Shelsi
09-24-17, 05:23 PM
BabyD19,

No shortages of adderall here in Arizona.
That said, here is a list of the current manufacturers of generic adderall currently available:

Mallinckrodt

Aurobindo aka Aurolife

Teva

Sandoz (aka Eon manufactured by Epic Pharma)

Mylan

Sun Pharma

Alvogen aka Norwich Pharmaceuticals

Teva generic / Actavis Watson version: but in either a white or pink onlong tablet not the regular orange Teva tablet everyone is so familiar with.

Discontinued generic adderall: RIP
Actavis (circa 2016)
Corepharma (circa 2017)

The two most commonly available are Mallinckrodt and Aurobindo. These are also the two weakest and poorest perfoming forms of generic adderall.

Teva is always around and a better performer than the other two previously mentioned

Sandoz is currently the most expensive of the generic IR tablets and is tough to find and is usually considered the best....but.....to each their own

Mylan and Sun Pharma are beginning to show up more often now but not enough feedback to offer an opinion of good or poor

Alvogen/Norwich Pharmaceutical just cropped up on the dailymed boards. Have not seen it out in the market yet

Bottom line: Try all the generic adderall forms of IR tablets and find a generic manufacturer that works well for you. It's all trial and error.

This goes to show that while I absolutely believe there are overall trends for what works & doesn't work for people, it is essential to remember that trends are just averages and there will always be outliers.

I've been given a different generic for the past 3 months :mad: This last time I was told they'd ordered Mylan which is the one that's always worked well for me. Well I get home, look in the bottle, and it's Mallinckrodt :confused: :mad:

I know it's reputation here and I broke down in tears when I saw it because the prior month had been practically a complete loss due to the generic roulette.

You know what though? It works REALLY WELL for me! Like it's better than any of the others (and in the past 2.5 yrs I've had all but Alvogen). My pharmacy didn't say anything about a shortage but now I am left wondering since they said they'd ordered the Mylan but then clearly that's not what they ended up getting... :eyebrow:

wonderboy
09-26-17, 07:45 PM
Invariably around when schools and universities begin, there can be a temporary shortage, although there is not one, at present, in my area

Arei
09-26-17, 09:54 PM
I've been out a couple of weeks, but there had been a shortage around when school started. But a lot of times that "shortage", while there might be a bit of one, is really the pharmacy changing contracts and having their generics changed on them.

Rant time! This isn't directed at ANYONE here, but more of a generic complaint I have that comes up frequently in the pharmacy.

Just FYI, this is not something the people that work in the pharmacy decide, it's decided by corporate (at a chain pharmacy) and in our case, you have to get a written note from the doctor explaining why you need a certain generic that's been blocked from ordering, and the district manager has to take it to corporate to get it approved. We can't just order a certain brand that isn't approved, it won't come and the order will be filled with the approved generic.

A lot of people get up in arms about their generics being switched but we really have no control over the drug deals (lol). So don't get mad at the pharmacists and techs for this stuff. You could file a complaint with corporate, but thats pretty useless. If you REALLY need a certain brand, push for a doctor's note so you can petition with it. ESPECIALLY if you have allergies or sensitivities to specific ingredients (and no, "I just don't wanna try another brand." doesnt count). And trust me, the note won't hold water unless there is a concrete MEDICAL reason on why you cannot take a certain brand and have to have a certain brand. It's not personal preference, there HAS to be something like an adverse effect or allergic reaction.

We had somebody fighting us about a certain generic of drug and I had to go multiple times to another store and pick up a package of it for them (they'd never just transfer it all to us even though they didn't use it) and then one day they finally tried the generic and decided "Oh it's ok."

Most of the time there is no obvious difference between generic's efficacy, unless you are allergic to an inactive ingredient or dye used in one brand that's not in another. I've had to search for fish ingredients, red dye, gluten, etc. for people and that's a-ok.

The second most thing that annoys me about my job (after the complaining about 15-20 minute wait times OH THE INHUMANITY!!) is people griping about generic changes before they even *try* it. Its not extremely uncommon for someone to take something for a few days and go "This doesn't seem right." but pitching a fit like a small child because ITS NOT THE LITTLE RED PILL is ridiculous.

Trust me, when people have to PAY to get the preferred brand or generic brand they want because the insurance won't cover it, only a very small percentage actually pay. It's a lot of "OH I WANT THE BRAND THE GENERIC IS CRAP" "Well the brand is $353 dollars." "OK I'LL TAKE THE GENERIC". It really hurts the people who NEED the alternatives and have to pay. We keep going around and around with brand Adderall with people and it's just.. the little red adderall 20 generic is now the new yellow norco...

I'm really surprised that our customers are great with our massive generic change we just did (they literally changed 90% of our generics on us, I was expecting meltdowns but everyone has been chill... but unlike some other locations we actively told people and put stickers everywhere that their generic brand has changed...), but I've worked at places where people throw fits like a child who got the wrong color balloon. It's good to be vigilant about what you're taking, and it's good to ask questions if something is different. The pharmacist isn't annoyed by your questions, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth is another story just "because" people don't wanna change generics and aren't willing to try a new brand.

I'm on 7 different meds for bipolar/adhd/sleep and SOMEHOW they all avoided our massive generic change lol. But I wouldn't pitch a fit about them changing unless I had a significant adverse reaction. These medications are vital to keeping my job and sanity, I really only care if they did something like make my heart race or induced a panic attack (which quite a few stuff I've taken before has done that to me). Though I know what the pills look like, and I ask questions if I'm unsure. Please ask all the questions in the world until you feel you know what you are getting and understand it. It doesn't pay to be someone that blindly throws pills in their mouth without knowing what they are, what they are for, and what they do at the minimum. So you know exactly whats up if something causes a reaction that you didn't have before.

TL;DR: I'm really tired of people complaining to me about generic Adderall. We, at the store level, have no control over what brand we get. Unfortunately, and it does suck that we can't get what we WANT to order for our customers, you have to call around to see what others have. Sometimes you have to do this every single month. It's not fun, but it's not something to yell at the pharmacy workers for. I have to hunt down certain things for myself, and most of the time if its a serious matter I don't mind hunting down stuff for people either. But "I just don't wanna" is not a serious matter.

Arei
09-26-17, 10:02 PM
So Corepharma's adderall got canned. No one complained about that one lol, how strange.

Greyhound1
09-26-17, 10:29 PM
There is no shortage of Adderall in S. Florida according to my pharmacist. I dropped off my script yesterday and it was ready this morning. That's also with it being near the end the month when their monthly allotment can sometimes run out. They carry Teva.

TrapezoidPills
09-27-17, 04:52 AM
Since apparently it wasn't read before.

Shortages can be regional, and can be different between whatever ordering system the pharmacy uses.

Lunacie
09-27-17, 11:29 AM
I've been out a couple of weeks, but there had been a shortage around when school started. But a lot of times that "shortage", while there might be a bit of one, is really the pharmacy changing contracts and having their generics changed on them.

Rant time! This isn't directed at ANYONE here, but more of a generic complaint I have that comes up frequently in the pharmacy.

Just FYI, this is not something the people that work in the pharmacy decide, it's decided by corporate (at a chain pharmacy) and in our case, you have to get a written note from the doctor explaining why you need a certain generic that's been blocked from ordering, and the district manager has to take it to corporate to get it approved. We can't just order a certain brand that isn't approved, it won't come and the order will be filled with the approved generic.

A lot of people get up in arms about their generics being switched but we really have no control over the drug deals (lol). So don't get mad at the pharmacists and techs for this stuff. You could file a complaint with corporate, but thats pretty useless. If you REALLY need a certain brand, push for a doctor's note so you can petition with it. ESPECIALLY if you have allergies or sensitivities to specific ingredients (and no, "I just don't wanna try another brand." doesnt count). And trust me, the note won't hold water unless there is a concrete MEDICAL reason on why you cannot take a certain brand and have to have a certain brand. It's not personal preference, there HAS to be something like an adverse effect or allergic reaction.

We had somebody fighting us about a certain generic of drug and I had to go multiple times to another store and pick up a package of it for them (they'd never just transfer it all to us even though they didn't use it) and then one day they finally tried the generic and decided "Oh it's ok."

Most of the time there is no obvious difference between generic's efficacy, unless you are allergic to an inactive ingredient or dye used in one brand that's not in another. I've had to search for fish ingredients, red dye, gluten, etc. for people and that's a-ok.

The second most thing that annoys me about my job (after the complaining about 15-20 minute wait times OH THE INHUMANITY!!) is people griping about generic changes before they even *try* it. Its not extremely uncommon for someone to take something for a few days and go "This doesn't seem right." but pitching a fit like a small child because ITS NOT THE LITTLE RED PILL is ridiculous.

Trust me, when people have to PAY to get the preferred brand or generic brand they want because the insurance won't cover it, only a very small percentage actually pay. It's a lot of "OH I WANT THE BRAND THE GENERIC IS CRAP" "Well the brand is $353 dollars." "OK I'LL TAKE THE GENERIC". It really hurts the people who NEED the alternatives and have to pay. We keep going around and around with brand Adderall with people and it's just.. the little red adderall 20 generic is now the new yellow norco...

I'm really surprised that our customers are great with our massive generic change we just did (they literally changed 90% of our generics on us, I was expecting meltdowns but everyone has been chill... but unlike some other locations we actively told people and put stickers everywhere that their generic brand has changed...), but I've worked at places where people throw fits like a child who got the wrong color balloon. It's good to be vigilant about what you're taking, and it's good to ask questions if something is different. The pharmacist isn't annoyed by your questions, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth is another story just "because" people don't wanna change generics and aren't willing to try a new brand.

I'm on 7 different meds for bipolar/adhd/sleep and SOMEHOW they all avoided our massive generic change lol. But I wouldn't pitch a fit about them changing unless I had a significant adverse reaction. These medications are vital to keeping my job and sanity, I really only care if they did something like make my heart race or induced a panic attack (which quite a few stuff I've taken before has done that to me). Though I know what the pills look like, and I ask questions if I'm unsure. Please ask all the questions in the world until you feel you know what you are getting and understand it. It doesn't pay to be someone that blindly throws pills in their mouth without knowing what they are, what they are for, and what they do at the minimum. So you know exactly whats up if something causes a reaction that you didn't have before.

TL;DR: I'm really tired of people complaining to me about generic Adderall. We, at the store level, have no control over what brand we get. Unfortunately, and it does suck that we can't get what we WANT to order for our customers, you have to call around to see what others have. Sometimes you have to do this every single month. It's not fun, but it's not something to yell at the pharmacy workers for. I have to hunt down certain things for myself, and most of the time if its a serious matter I don't mind hunting down stuff for people either. But "I just don't wanna" is not a serious matter.

Thank you for sharing the view from the other side of the counter. I wish all
pharmacies would do more to inform customers when they are switching from
one brand or manufacturer to another.

It's worrisome to get home and start to take a pill only to see that it looks
very different from what you're used to taking. So you call the pharmacy or
take the med back to them only to be told they've changed distributor and
since you already left the store with the meds it's impossible to exchange them.

I myself am very anxious about trying new medications or different brands.
My reaction to propranolol several years ago was much worse than "a racing
heart or a panic attack" ... although those may not be anything to sneeze at.

I had a mild anaphylactic reaction with swollen tongue and breathing pass-
ages. I took a benedryl immediately and got on the phone with the doctor's
office to ask if I needed an ambulance. Fortunately the benedryl worked well.

Arei
09-27-17, 02:18 PM
I had a mild anaphylactic reaction with swollen tongue and breathing pass-
ages. I took a benedryl immediately and got on the phone with the doctor's
office to ask if I needed an ambulance. Fortunately the benedryl worked well.

That is exactly why people need a basic familiarity with what medications they are taking. It's not just so you know when the pill is different, but if the pill is different AND you have a reaction, you know where to start looking instead of blindly guessing and possibly causing continued harm to yourself (not on purpose, of course). That's actually not the first time I've heard of someone having a weird reaction when propranolol got changed on them. That was one of our generics that got changed on us, but to my knowledge no one has said anything yet. But that was definitely an allergic reaction and something worth investigation.

I'm not the most eloquent of talkers, but my point was basically that different GENERICS of the same medication really don't make that much of a difference. Unless there are fillers that you're allergic to. Again, thats why it's so important to recognize if there is a change in what you're taking so if you do have a reaction, the doctor can better pinpoint what caused it.

And ask ask ask ASK the pharmacist any questions you have, because a better informed patient is valuable to your well-being. Where I work we make a strong effort to let people know when their medicine looks different, and sometimes people still call anyway because they're unsure if they got the right pill. Always always always ask your questions, the pharmacist is there to help you.

Just keep in mind that for 99% of the population, there is not that much different in efficacy between generics of the same drug. I've been on multiple generics of adderall XR and never noticed a difference. And I'm pretty sensitive to mental-affecting medications. Not saying this is true for everyone, but a lot of people pitch a fit about having generics switched on them WITHOUT TRYING THEM. Because 9/10 if they tried them, they wouldn't have an issue. That's one thing you really shouldn't be afraid of, UNLESS you have allergies to fillers/dyes.

I probably sounded harsh, but I'm so tired of getting attacked over adderall generics. Stuff like thyroid medicine and birth control I understand, because it can be extremely hard for people to find the thing that works for their body without causing massive side-effects, and changing the generic on them can possibly harm their hormone levels and generate unwanted side effects. It's better to be consistent with hormone medication.

Different generic adderalls and ritalins (and especially concertas omfg the drama over that) are pretty much the same. It could be a number of things affecting how the medication works in your body that have nothing to do with the medication itself.

Greyhound1
09-27-17, 10:19 PM
Since apparently it wasn't read before.

Shortages can be regional, and can be different between whatever ordering system the pharmacy uses.

If you're referring to me your post just after mine was read. If you read my post, I was reporting on my region and my pharmacy.

Shannon23
10-02-17, 02:10 PM
Shortage of Impax regular here in Maine. That is why I started to look for answers on this forum.

sarahsweets
10-08-17, 07:19 AM
I probably sounded harsh, but I'm so tired of getting attacked over adderall generics. Stuff like thyroid medicine and birth control I understand, because it can be extremely hard for people to find the thing that works for their body without causing massive side-effects, and changing the generic on them can possibly harm their hormone levels and generate unwanted side effects. It's better to be consistent with hormone medication.

Different generic adderalls and ritalins (and especially concertas omfg the drama over that) are pretty much the same. It could be a number of things affecting how the medication works in your body that have nothing to do with the medication itself.
I used to think just like you until I had three days of Actavis XR without realizing it. When I had issues and examined the bottle I went back to my doc, handed her the bottle, got a new script and went to my mom and pop that uses global. I swear I have never had an issue with any generics before that one time a year or two ago. I am sorry you are getting attacked over generic adderall cause I cant see the point in that but we are all not crazy.

Lunacie
10-08-17, 12:45 PM

It could be a number of things that affect how the med works in your body,
including caffeine, diet, hydration, hormones, and sleep, etc.

But it could also be the med - and the number of posts I have seen on this
forum suggests that it's not all that rare.

Please DO share valuable insight and information. :)

Please DO NOT invalidate anyone else's personal experience. :doh:

I have spent over sixty years having my personal experiences invalidated by
others, including doctors, nurses, therapists and psychiatrists, only to find
via the internet that I am not alone in these experiences.
:yes: