View Full Version : Looking for friends in NYC with Adderall misuse experiences

notoutthewoods
09-17-17, 06:35 PM
Hello,

I'm a 30-year-old gay male that moved to NYC this past summer. I'm recovering from Adderall misuse issues and looking to connect with IRL friends also in the NYC area who have issues with recovering from Adderall misuse.

In my case, I do have ADD and the Adderall was always prescribed. For a few years I took Adderall responsibly and it was effective at a consistent low dose. Then the dose was increased after switching doctors, other things in my life distracted me, and I began to overuse and misuse the medication.

I was able to fully get off the medication this year, and I know my brain and body still need time to heal from the tolerance and other issues the overuse/misuse caused, but I also still have significant ADD issues.

I'm just looking for IRL friends who might have experience with similar issues in the NYC area. I'm open to remote friends too! But it would be great to have people to connect with in person too.

Lastly, I'll mention I am currently taking a training class as a nursing assistant and hoping that this is a good new direction for me, since it's a very hands on, interactive profession that won't require too much reading like a desk job (so I won't have to rely on Adderall to do it) yet something that I will still find rewarding and challenging but well-suited for.

Good luck to all and please don't hesitate to drop me a message with any ideas or leads...I'm proud of myself for how far I've come in the past year, but know better than to relax and get complacent... I'd really love to connect with people to build a nice mutual support network! :thankyou:

Fuzzy12
09-17-17, 08:37 PM
I'm neither in NYC nor have I ever taken adderall but just wanted to say well done for stopping the misuse and welcome to.the forum!!

Batman55
09-18-17, 12:34 AM
I don't live in the NYC area but I did have problems with drug addiction, especially prescribed amphetamines, a long time ago. It almost destroyed my life and I still suffer consequences to this very day, even with 100% sobriety from everything for years on end.

That said, I think I'm a bit of a strange case of this, because I don't respond typically to drugs, I'm a "hypersensitive." My path to addiction began with caffeine, and that was a gift from the gods for a while, until it wasn't good enough (tolerance).. I then had the "bright" idea to take the next step.

I'm not sure if your issue is "overuse" because you wanted to function better or because of addictive tendencies, mine was 90% the latter. I don't want to get into great detail about it here but if you want to talk about the consequences of this particular addiction, or the recovery process, send a message.

sarahsweets
09-18-17, 04:19 AM
Congrats to you, I am an alcoholic in recovery (sober almost 5 years). I take adderall so I guess I am lucky I do not have a drug problem as well. Have you ever considered stratterra or wellbutrin for your adhd?

notoutthewoods
09-22-17, 03:38 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for a social support network or friends (preferably IRL in NYC, but open to remote friends) who take Adderall for ADD. I have struggled with side effects and other issues regarding the medication (I also take an anti-depressant/SSRI so balancing the two is a jugging act at times) but I also know that my ADD is significant enough that Adderall (or other ADD meds) will need to be an option or a part of my life at times (maybe not everyday forever but as an option) in order for me to simply take care of myself in life.

Anyway, if I could find finds IRL who are also in a similar situation as far as ADD symptoms and the need for Adderall to manage these symptoms, BUT also greatly wanting a social support system/network to help be mindful of and navigate the other side effects and challenges associated with taking Adderall, that would be cool. I'm a 30-year-old male in NYC (just moved back here).

Message me or comment below if you want to connect! Good luck to all.

:grouphug: