View Full Version : Starting tomorrow

kimical
09-18-17, 07:07 PM
I will be trying this med again. Tomorrow morning is my first dose. I will be on the 25mg pill for six weeks. Unless I make an appointment with my doctor sooner. Which I might do if the side effects go away faster and I think I might need a higher dose sooner or if I hate it or something. I remember the first time I tried it I had a terrible headache and stomachache. The doctor said I might have had one of my migraines that I get sometimes but I think it was the medication but he wants me to give it another try so here I am. I also want to note that when I tried it the first time he wasn't my doctor so he has no clue if the headache was a migraine or not.

Anything else I need to know before I dive in?

kimical
09-18-17, 07:18 PM
question for people: Does coffee make side effects worse?

calbino
09-24-17, 01:18 PM
Hi there kimical. I trialled Strattera for a few weeks about a year ago. In the first week or two it actually seemed to treat my symptoms (ADHD-PI), rather than just compensating for them like amphetamines etc do. Then I woke up one morning and it had just stopped working. Due to the pretty inconvenient side effects I decided to stop and went a different route.

Since then, I've decided to give Strattera another go, for a number a reasons - mostly because I'm now better informed about the drug than I was before the first attempt; and also because nothing else has come close to making me feel 'normal' like my first two weeks on Strattera.

The first thing I'd say is on your titration - although the general mantra for any psychiatric drug is 'go low, go slow', your 25mg for 6 weeks regimen does seem too low and too slow. I know others here have advocated slow titration to minimise side effects, but around 80mg is the normal target dose for this drug to be most effective. Studies have shown that people are more likely to quit Strattera before getting to these higher doses - the reason being that they spend too long on sub-therapeutic doses whilst titrating, only experiencing the side effects, and believing that the drug is not for them. Unless there's a serious medical reason for such a slow titration, maybe it's something you could discuss more with your p-doc?

Secondly on efficacy - from reading hundreds of posts from various websites, there seems to be a few distinct trends when it comes to the effectiveness of Strattera. When you reach the 40-100mg ballpark, generally speaking either:
◦ You experience almost immediate symptomatic relief, which may dip, before coming back on a more consistent basis.
◦ You experience nothing but side effects for between 1-3 months, before one day feeling like a 'veil has been lifted'.
◦ You experience nothing but side effects despite lengthy treatment at the target dose (poor responders).

And finally - side effects. It's one of those drugs where most people do actually get the side effects listed on the box, and they're not particularly fun. However, most long term users that I've came across online have attested to the fact that their side effects have either completely disappeared, or considerably reduced with time.

I'll be starting Strattera again later this week. I'll keep you posted on my experiences this time round. Best of luck!

ldk_13
09-25-17, 12:43 PM
I was switched to Strattera after a nasty result with Adderall. I started out on 60mg for 2 weeks then went up to 80 then finally 100mg. It took a month for me to feel the effects of Strattera and the positive results were minimal at best and only lasted for a short time.

As for the side affects I got a headache every other day. I also noticed that I went to the bathroom less often which may be due to the medication suppressing my appetite. Then I had to be put on sleeping pills since it gave me insomnia.

Anyways I was on Strattera for 4 months. It took at least a month for it to work and the minimal benefits I got out of it lasted about 2 months. The side effects went away by about 50% but were still there in the end. I am now taking Ritalin but this was just my experience. Strattera may do wonders for you just stick to it and give it a chance

Arei
09-26-17, 02:45 PM
I've enjoyed Strattera for a few months now with no side effects that I can notice. Much better response to it than stimulants. I started at 60 and went up to 100 very quickly.