View Full Version : New Diagnosis after Suicide Attempt

Kiahnat
09-19-17, 01:45 AM
Hello. My 17yr old son has just been diagnosed with ADD. We were referred to a psychiatrist after my son attempted suicide by hanging himself with his school tie. We were expecting a depression/anxiety diagnosis, but the psychiatrist was pretty sure he has ADD. Needless to say, it's been a pretty horrific time. We are devastated and terrified. My question is, how long until my son notices a difference? The psychiatrists exact words were "10 minutes after taking it, he'll know", which will confirm his diagnosis.

My son took the first Ritalin dose an hour ago. He feels tired now, because he hasnt been sleeping well due to racing thoughts, etc. He has just now said he feels calmer..."less conflicted, intrusive thoughts." Can that be right and does it confirm this diagnosis?

Weve been living in a state of terror since the suicide attempt. Is it possible that we dont have to worry anymore?

l_ruth_
09-19-17, 08:54 PM
Hi Kiahnat, really sorry to hear about your son's and your family's suffering at this time. Understanding is the first path to healing, and not understanding what is going on - for you and for him - is the worst feeling, so I hope this diagnosis helps things calm down, so that he and your family together can begin to understand why things have been so difficult for him, and that you get the support you need as a family to work through the pressures you have been facing, both as a family and individually x (Sorry I cannot give more specific advice, especially if that is what you needed right now)

finallyfound10
09-20-17, 01:16 AM
What a scary time for all of you. I am very happy that your son is ok and that he is under the care of a psychiatrist.

This is all very new for you but you need to know that just because he has ADHD doesn't mean he does not also have depression and anxiety. In fact, they are very, very common co-morbid conditions.

I honestly don't think that the psychiatrist should say that a patient will know that a med is working in 10 minutes. I am an RN who works in mental health and give patients new-for-them stimulants on a regular basis. A stimulant may be able to be felt within 20-30 minutes but that doesn't mean that it is working in the way that a person needs it to be success in their life. It takes longer for the individual to take the med and live their life for a period of time- which is different for everyone- to assess if it's working for them.

Continue to read this forum and read all that you can about ADHD and keep us posted!

wild.onion
09-20-17, 01:35 PM
yeah that sounds right! stimulants (at correct dose) will make most adhd people feel one or more of the following: calm, focused, relaxed, motivated, excited, energized.

my understanding from my research is: a low dose typically results in calm, relaxed or even sleepy feelings. a dose that's too high will typically result in feeling energized, excited, overactive (usually in people who have inattentive not hyperactive or combined), hyperfocused or anxious. a dose that's correct will result in motivation and regular focus levels with occasional hyperfocus. of course energy levels and emotional state (prior to taking) will also effect the meds results.

your son may also have depression and anxiety. chronic depression and anxiety disorders are common amongst people who have adhd. if he /only/ has adhd he'll notice the anxiety/depression goes away after he finds the correct med type and dose. if not, you will likely both notice periods of anxiety and depression even when it seems like he's managing his adhd.

another thing to look into: is your son's anxiety mainly social? a very common symptom in people with adhd is "reactionary social dysphoria" or rsd for short. essentially, when we perceive rejection or criticism our serotonin levels immediately drop, resulting in either aggressive outbursts or severe depressive feelings. in the long term this can result in really bad social anxiety and chronic avoidance of people.

quick ex: you tell your son his room is messy and you'd like him to clean it. you're not at all angry about it--you're just concerned for him, so you try to word it in a calm and kind way. despite previously being in a good mood (and your attempts to word it nicely) he immediately lashes out at you. yells that it's his space and it's none of your business. or maybe that he has too much to deal with and your stressing him out. he might also say some hurtful personal things to you. then he likely leaves for a while.

later in the day he seems completely normal again.
he may pretend the outburst didn't happen or be extremely apologetic. after the outburst, all mentions of mess, his room, people needing to clean, etc. may appear to make him anxious or moody.

anyway, from another guy who struggles with depression/anxiety/adhd and was suicidal in high school, I wish you both all the best. it does get better!!!

sarahsweets
09-21-17, 06:18 AM
I hope he is on something other than just concerta. Suicide is a very dangerous thing especially an attempt. He very well can have adhd and depression or another mental health issue. Both my girls went inpatient at one time or another for suicidal issues and they both required antidepressants. My oldest literally just ran away in a bipolar type of episode and she just started cymbalta and lamictal. She used to be treated for adhd but neither of my girls could tolerate stimulants for various reasons. My youngest was suicidal at age 11. 11! My oldest is 17 now and we are working out her meds. My point is, please do not rely on stimulants alone for this if he was or is suicidal, its not safe IME>

stef
09-21-17, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry you're going through this!

I've just started taking ritalin this week.
For me, it takes 40-45 minutes (not 10 although it kind of "starts" a bit);
I thought at first it was my imagination but really it does work and indeed, "less conflicted, intrusive thoughts".

I agree with Sarah also, I hope you are getting the support you need.

daveddd
09-21-17, 06:59 PM
I hope he is on something other than just concerta. Suicide is a very dangerous thing especially an attempt. He very well can have adhd and depression or another mental health issue. Both my girls went inpatient at one time or another for suicidal issues and they both required antidepressants. My oldest literally just ran away in a bipolar type of episode and she just started cymbalta and lamictal. She used to be treated for adhd but neither of my girls could tolerate stimulants for various reasons. My youngest was suicidal at age 11. 11! My oldest is 17 now and we are working out her meds. My point is, please do not rely on stimulants alone for this if he was or is suicidal, its not safe IME>

yes, please listen to sarah

suicide is NOT a symptom of ADHD, though depression is commonly co occurring that doesnt mean suicidal thoughts will just vanish after 10 minutes of concerta (im speaking from very real experience)

please keep a close eye on your son and consider a different doctor

sarahsweets
09-23-17, 08:45 AM
My daughter was just hospitalized last night for taking almost a whole bottle of melatonin and we are so glad we listened to our gut and didnt ignore it.