View Full Version : Overweight and ADD

Andrew
09-01-03, 05:06 PM
Do you see yourself as being overweight? I personally could lose a few pounds, and I think my weight issues stem from poor self control (disinhibition), poor follow-through on long-term projects and low self esteem (its a viscious cycle)

LiLMissADDitude
09-01-03, 07:55 PM
I don't know how true this is but Ive heard that as adults people with ADD inatentive type are more likely to be overweight while people with ADHD are usually in their correct weight range. I was at my perfect weight but since starting strattera Ive lost some weight which I should probably try to gain back. Wooohooooo ice cream, hot fudge,& pizza!!!!!!

Tara
09-01-03, 08:22 PM
Many ADDers also self medicate with food for both stimulatation and to help with anxiety.

sleepzalot
09-01-03, 11:01 PM
I'm not overweight, I'm slightly underhuge.

Sleepz.

fasttalkingmom
09-02-03, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by livingwithadd
Many ADDers also self medicate with food for both stimulatation and to help with anxiety.

This would be me....

Jonathan
09-02-03, 08:17 AM
As a child I was always pretty much fat-free. As a young adult I was still pretty slim. I am not very overweight but am beginning to grow a belly, although my wife is the one who is pregnant at the moment. This has quite a bit to do with giving up smoking earlier this year, and I would say with ADD too (though it happens to most people - on a Western diet at least - who give up smoking). I'd apply that quote to myself too - I get food (especially sugar/carbohydrate) cravings through the day, associated with feeling restless, frustrated and unable to concentrate (though it's not always as bad as this sounds!). Been a bit better the last few days - wonder what I'm doing right...

sleepzalot
09-02-03, 10:48 AM
Science time.....

When you smoke, it acts as an immediate appetite suppressant. the nicotine takes less than 15 seconds to reach the receptor sites in the brain. When you use sugar based food to satisfy hunger, it takes 20 minutes before digestion gets the messages to the receptors. That is why you eat a lot more to get to satisfy the craving feeling.

Knowing the above hasn't stopped me from eating. I just try to last the 20 minutes and hope I'm not being too bad with my snacks!!

Sleepz.

DSCH
09-02-03, 10:57 AM
I went on Atkins induction phase after I cleared my head up through trying B-complex vitamins and amino acids (DLPA) in addition to my prescription (pemoline). This was because I suddenly noticed energy and focal sensitivity to sugar and carbohydrates. It's not strictly glucose intolerance (I have self-montored that) but maybe the inhanced uptake of tryptophan at the blood brain barrier with high blood insulin forming more serotonin (I think I have plenty of that already, thankyouverymuch!). I've since been able to drop the pemoline and all other suppliments except for my vitamin/mineral complex.

My last panicky episode was in the early spring of 2002, and I dropped to about 235 pounds at that time. I gradually put back on until I was at 255 in July. I am down to 239 at the moment, and am shooting for about 200.

I tended to be chubby as kid until my mid teens. Then I was a rail in my late teens (also my better years mentally). Later years in university they started adding back on again, and my ability to concentrate and stay task-orientated wanned.

EchoHD
09-02-03, 12:15 PM
I was never overweight until I had my children, at ages 37 and 38 (yes, I was out of my mind). Since then (11 yrs) I have continued to gain. I definately eat for stimulation and anxiety. And I smoke like a bad chimney. But then, I eat and smoke at the same time.

joanrdtobe
09-02-03, 12:28 PM
The poll says 85% of us consider ourselves overweight....Congrats to anyone having the courage to be honest with this poll:)

I'm overweight....always have been and definitely always will be....I think it's not only what Tara says....stimulation seeking and way to deal with anxiety.....but I've also been told that growing up with alcoholism has a lot to do with it....Daughters/sons of alcoholics many times tend to have problems with overeating......

And it's a very genetic thing....how many of us who have said we are overweight -- also have parents, brothers, sisters, grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts, uncles -- SOMEBODY in our family -- who is also overweigiht....and genes are a TOUGH thing to DISinherit....not impossible......(not looking for an excuse here)...but tough...

DSCH
09-02-03, 01:16 PM
We didn't evolve eating lots of sugar and refined wheat and rice. We had a nice mix of meat, fish, nuts, roots, and the occasional sweet fruit going on as hunter-gatherers.

Americans only really started getting seriously obese en masse with the introduction of packaged foods in supermarkets and fast food restaurants. Look at people in photos from the 1950s and earlier.

High carb/low fat is not the answer for most people.

InattentiveType
09-02-03, 01:47 PM
I'm not overweight. Although I am getting kind of flabby as I get older.

Personally I'd like to put on weight. I'd like a good 20lbs of muscle. I just can't ge my lazy *** motivated enough to hit the gym on any kind of regular basis.

joanrdtobe
09-02-03, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by InattentiveType

I just can't ge my lazy *** motivated enough to hit the gym on any kind of regular basis.

Inattentive: I'll go if you go.....:)

Keppig
09-02-03, 04:58 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we had a "Going to the Gym" support thread? You know one where you can write "I made it to the gym today, praise me! I worked out for 10 minutes, praise me again!":)
Or the "I was so sore from yesterday I slept in" "I really wanted to go but 20 other things got in the way" "Get me motivated, please!!"

What do you think, Joan?

joanrdtobe
09-02-03, 09:52 PM
A-W-E-S-O-M-E IDEA.............:) :)

Makes for accountability for our exercise efforts.....

Would you like to start the thread Kassie, since it was your brilliant idea??

Andrew
09-02-03, 10:29 PM
Very neat idea :)

EchoHD
09-08-03, 12:56 AM
The Going to the Gym thread sounds great. The problem for me is that the thread isnt here to kick my butt and MAKE me go. Procrastination....thy name is EchoHD, or maybe it should be EchoHD thy name is procrastination.

tudorose
09-08-03, 06:44 AM
I don't know what to do about the cravings for chocolate and cakes and choc-milk and ice-cream.

joanrdtobe
09-08-03, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by EchoHD
The Going to the Gym thread sounds great. The problem for me is that the thread isnt here to kick my butt and MAKE me go. Procrastination....thy name is EchoHD, or maybe it should be EchoHD thy name is procrastination.

True Echo, BUT at least if you go, you can THEN return home and write here and tell us that you went.....and we will say "yayyyyy and yippeee"......:D

smooch
09-08-03, 03:21 PM
I marked that I think I'm too skinny. And I am. People at work always comment on my weight ("you're too skinny, girl!" "we need to put some meat on those bones!" "do you even eat?" "if I could be as tiny as you, I'd ______ too"...), and those comments hurt my feelings just as much as they would someone who's being razzed for being overweight.

I'm really bad about "forgetting" to eat (usually due to hyperfocusing on something), or just eating something to make the hungry feeling go away, or just plain ol' procrastination. Also, I've never been a big fan of food in general. I mean, there are foods I LOVE to eat (Mexican--gimme da guac!), but, actually, maybe I should also add that I don't care for cooking. Living by myself makes it really easy to have a poor diet, although I AM doing better, albeit inconsistently, over these last several months. Love my George Foreman grill!

I think the Adderall is partly to blame because a major side effect of it is loss of appetite. Also, on a psychological level, when I'm upset or anxious, I have caught myself thinking, "I don't want to eat because of [this or that]." I guess it's a form of control using food, like with anorexia. But I am NOT anorexic, because I do not have a distorted body image: I look in the mirror and the word "scrawny" comes to mind, not "I'm sooo fat!" Nor am I bulemic. I really am concerned, and I want to gain weight. It's the same amount of emotion as those who want to lose weight. I tell the people who comment on my weight and say they wish they were as "skinny" as me that "Believe me, you do NOT want the reasons my weight is what it is."

There was a time in college when I was about 20 lbs. overweight...my GP told me so and put me on this diet they give heart patients who need to lose a bunch of weight before surgery. I think going through that diet was more harmful to my mind than being told I was overweight--food was an enemy.

WOW. Didn't realize I was going to have such a case of keyboard diarrhea.... Whew!

ferrette1976
09-08-03, 03:24 PM
Any of you think of buying home exercise equipment?

I have a treadmill and I love it. I used to be a gym rat, then I met my husband and fell of the wagon. Now we live too far away from any gym. I knew that if I was going to get back into the swing of things I was going to have to invest in a really nice piece of equipment. I went to a store called "The Fitness Experience" and bought a good treadmill - like, I took out a loan for it. I knew that if I bought a cheapie one, I wouldn't like it, and it would be a waste. So now I have a setup in my basement. I have the treadmill set up so I am looking out a window, then I have a TV and stereo set up too. I also laid out a nice section of carpet to stretch on. I was running about 4 days a week for about 6 months.

My husband thought I was crazy, he would go downstairs and I would have the TV on, and I'd be listening to headphones at the same time. But that is what worked for me. I have to have something to look at and listen to. A good mix cd/tape is also great motivator.

I have found that if I get into a routine there is no problem. There is no question "am I going to work out today?" I just do it, and don't allow myself to not work out. It does wonders for my ADD. It gives me something to do with my nervous energy - instead of zoning out in front of the TV and stuffing my face.

Some of you may have noticed that I said "I was running . . . for 6 months" Yes, I admit, I haven't for awhile. We've got a lot of work around the house to get done before the snow flies. I admit, I am not perfect! I am still sticking to a diet though.

I do have some suggestions that I know work for me -

- It takes 3 weeks to make a habit. Commit yourself to working out regularly for three weeks. By then it will be a habit.

-The one thing that has always worked for me in the diet area is writing down everything that I eat, and counting the calories. I know, it is time consuming, but this way you really do not have to deny yourself anything. You can have that chocolate cake, as long as you write it down. At the same time, it is also a good motivator for NOT having the chocolate cake, because it causes you to think "do I really want to write this down?". Additionally, after you've been writing things down for while, you have a good vision of portion size and how much you should be eating in a day. Eventually you'll be able to get a hold of your diet without writing things down anymore.

- Get a dog! Take it for a walk every day. If you already have a dog now is a good time to start that daily walk. I have two greyhounds, they are both fit and trim, cause let me tell you, there is nothing worse than a fat greyhound! :p

-Diane

Keppig
09-08-03, 04:08 PM
ferrette1976
Would you do some posting under the exercise forum? I would absolutely love to hear more of your exercise experience :)

ferrette1976
09-08-03, 04:35 PM
:D

Well, thanks - what kinds of things would you like to hear?

-Diane

Wheel1975
10-01-03, 07:32 AM
I'm about 5 to 10 pounds over weight... after my wife learned how to cook we ate better. when she got preganant and didn't share with me anymore because she could eat an entire meal, i had to order my own food and I'd eat slightly to much... i gained weight while she was preganant.!
I've never lost it completely. :)

Sc@tterBr@in_UK
10-22-03, 04:06 AM
Well I was always "podgy" as a kid, not huge but I was short & a bit chubby, had an odd posture and was forever being told off (school, paediatricians etc.) for not moving enough. I also had to go to special gym classes in school for my posture & my coordination problems & had to do physio for my posture.

I kind of grew out of being chubby when I got older & did tap dancing for a long time (longest time ever I held down a hobby!!!) but still kind thought I was fat so started messing about with eating disorders on and off (stopped whenever it caught too much attention).

Even though I was slim-ish (about 125-130lbs on 5'5") I still thought of myself as chubby, I still had that problem occasionally after moving to the UK (esp. with an aggressive/rude hubby who called me "fat" from time to time, just to call me "anorexic" in the next sentence - WTF???) but I also discovered cooking.

Am a damn good cook as well as having been depressed towards the end of my marriage, so have been piling it on a bit over the past years and am on about 150 now - having a bf who loves to cook and eat doesn't help!!!

Can't stick to a diet or exercise routine for longer than a few weeks, trying to avoid wheat though and stick more or less to the blood group diet although like with everything else I get all hyped up about, I've already lost interest. Still sticking to it "roughly" though but being a vegetarian it's not easy since I'm group B ("Nomad" type, can eat all dairy but should also eat meat & avoid soy)

Incidentally Group B (8% of population) has a very high occurence of ADD (minus hyperactivity), I think it's group A ("Hunter") that has the highest occurence of ADHD.

TCB
11-04-03, 10:31 PM
wow now I understand why I eat a lot when I have feel anxious.

I am just lucky, since that I don't gain weight and do exercise every chances that I get.

joanrdtobe
12-03-03, 06:41 PM
You are lucky TCB....Oh man when I feel anxious -- it's hungry horrors for me.....:(

My body can't tell the difference between anxiety and hunger...:(
And I DO gain weight....and I do exercise every chance I get as well....or I'd gain LOTS of weight....

Ian
12-03-03, 07:03 PM
I eat crap when I'm axious...so that's daily.. and my doc has given me until March to clean it up or it's cholesterol meds for me.

One of my goals is to initiate a small stable 10 or 15 minute exercise at least once a day. This helps me sleep better but making time for this type of thing is painful!.. and it's always been way over done any other time I've tried it. I've done all kinds of crazy routines trying to reduce my anxiety through exercise but none has worked as well as meditation but there again it's a complet bi*ch to implement change like that... at least it is for me. I'm hoping my coach will help those types of things along.

I've lost about 17 pounds now over the last few months by whacking out a lot of carbs from my diet. I've not been extreme about it just lost the bread, rice, sugar and spuds really.. and even then not always. Moderation.. hmmm maybe I'm growing up after all.. heh

The funny thing is I'm never hungry.. The diet isn't making much inroads into the eating crap when anxious though. I hope the exercise will go some way to help the anxiety to back off a notch.

Now I'll have to go and monitor the excercise forum.. hehehh

Easy does it.. Ian

mctavish23
12-04-03, 01:18 AM
Hi ya'll,
I've had a poor body image all my life.If you had asked me this question two mos ago I would have said overweight. I've journaled my daily calories now for almost 4yrs now(12/28/99) and have lost and then regained til I was still down about 14lbs but overweight.
Just before going on methylphenidate I went back on a more cosnsitent diet and started losing again. Then when I started the meds it was one of the strongest appetite suppressants Ive ever seen.So I now weigh less than my dirvers license..lol.
Seriously though. I workout at laest 5 days a week if not 6. I lift about 3-4 days a week and do Nordic track nearly everyday.It hepls with the stress from work and is basically good for me. But like many adhd's Im obsessive and can get carried away, so I have to listen to my wife's feedback to keep balanced.
I hope all of you have a great Holiday season and please remember to be good to yourselves.TC:)

Ian
12-04-03, 01:29 AM
hmmm listening to ones wife.. we could be onto something here.. heh

suleika
12-08-03, 03:42 PM
I've always loved the comforting soothing aspect of eating and have ended up slowly gaining too much fat. Now I'm on a very slow weight-loss plan and when I finally reach my goal I'll be so thrilled at having seen something through to its end! I run now and I love working out at the gym...great discoveries.

Gez

Ian
12-08-03, 04:13 PM
sulelka how long have you been at this routine? I have a heck of a time staying at any kind of regular exercise, although I just ordered five more cords of wood so.. there had better be hope.. heh
Cheers! Ian.

FlakeyGirl
12-08-03, 04:43 PM
I marked what is a scale because I do not own one. I don't see the point. I use the 'do my clothes fit or don't they' method. I'm pretty happy w/ my body and even after having five kids (2 c-sec) I'm ok. I guess I do exercise, but not so much in a regimented way. I dance, run, swing, etc. with my kiddos. I could stand to tighten up the lumps and bumps, but who couldn't.

I never really had a weight problem, I was always a pretty skinny kid. I never got that food-comfort association, as my mom manages to cook out every bit of moisture and flavor from foods. She often brags about how much money she saved on some particular cheap cut of meat or some going out of season produce. If she had been a good cook, though, I could see me being overweight easily.

suleika
12-08-03, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by itschaotic
sulelka how long have you been at this routine?

I started exercising in 2000 after 10 years of nothing! I tried doing cardio and found it boring and exhausting, but then I discovered that I liked resistance/weight training. So I kept that up, on and off, for a couple of years. This April I started a moderately low-carb way of eating in order to lose weight, and at the same time I increased my exercise. I re-started cardio stuff, mainly interval training on the eliptical and tradmill, which turned out to be more fun than I remembered, so long as I introduced mini-goals etc and kept a log. Once I could run 10 min on the treadmill I started running outside. I like to change what I am doing every now and then since it keeps my body AND my mind guessing! At the moment I am doing a modified version of Body for Life (http://www.bodyforlife.com/) , since it is extremely efficient at getting muscle on and increasing cardiovascular performance.

I am lucky in that my partner is also on lowcarb and doing regular exercise with me. The important factor for me with the exercise is that once it reached four or more times a week, it became a routine. Two or three times and it wasn't; I could forget about it completely. Somehow four times a week and it appeared in my subconscious to remind me to do it. Funny, eh?

Gez

Ian
12-08-03, 06:02 PM
logs.. partners.. mini goals.. sounds like a recipe for success.. thanks for the link.
Cheers! Ian.

Draga
01-08-04, 02:43 AM
Ok hear the kicker I lose weight when Iam on dexadrine because I never eat and I burn up the weight with excess energy but me off of dexadrine and I start eating again and I get serious munchies and hear comes the weight again.! Argh what a phat girl to do? lol.

Ian
01-08-04, 03:23 AM
Melly.. self disapline just isn't my strong suit.. heh so.. phat girls should be hip and enjoy life as it comes.. ;^) wishing you well. < g >
Cheers! Ian.

Draga
01-08-04, 07:08 AM
Cheers Ian thanks. I try to enjoy life and i have a huge belly...err problem I mean with self disipline myself be it ciggy's booze or medication and eating...but I can some up my life in two tv shows.."One day at a time" cause "I have one life to live"

Ian
01-08-04, 04:02 PM
Good on you girl! Keep it up and as David said somewhere the other day.. keep coming back..
Cheers! Ian

I give you this one rule of conduct. Do what you will, but speak
out always. Be shunned, be hated, be ridiculed, be scared,
be in doubt, but don't be gagged.
-- John J. Chapman, Make a Bonfire of Your Reputations

Draga
01-08-04, 08:26 PM
Heh Ian this and the ADD room is my second home now:D

Ian
01-09-04, 01:55 AM
Ya I wish I had better access to the yahoo java chat thang.. I set up an irc sever channel in hopes of not having to rely completely on Java to talk to you folks but have not seen a soul drop by.

See the chat sheduling area in the forums for details. My browsers have trouble with Java. ;^(

I like it here too.. < g > Do you use the same "nick" there too?
Cheers! Ian.

Got two days in a row of twenty minute heart pumping cardio in ... mark me proud.. heh

pershingd
03-18-04, 10:22 PM
Gee - Sounds as though I could have written some of these. I'm overweight. I do OK durring the day it that waking up at 2am anxiety that packs it on. Many years ago I lost a lot of weight, but I had something (someone) else to occupy my late night moments of awareness :). Kids, career, responsiblities (and the wife wanting some sleep) has all but eliminated that outlet - so the weight has slowly marched back up.

Being a teacher and parent makes it awfully hard to find time to go to the gym (that and living in rural MO) or regularly excersize. Any suggestions?

David

krisp
03-22-04, 09:41 AM
I'm not overweight, but I don't think I deserve any credit for that since it didn't require any willpower on my part. As a child, I was slightly pudgy ... carried about 10 extra pounds in college due to my beer-and-pizza diet :rolleyes: ... but these days I just don't want to eat much. I make myself eat on a regular basis because I'm hypoglycemic, but it actually annoys me to have to bother. Yes, I know, I'm a freak! :p Meds may be partly to blame, but I think there are other factors at work too.

Ace
03-22-04, 12:01 PM
When I was a kid, I had food phobias and wouldn't eat what the family ate (German-style cooking). I used to run everywhere I went while others walked, because I was always late ("otherwise occupied") and had to catch up. I also danced and was a cheerleader and climbed and hiked.

THEN Some alien hypnotozed me, operated on my brain and removed my HD and left me with only my AD. My get-up-and-go got up and went.

I've gained about a 2 pounds for each of the last 36 years, and am badly in need of an "HD transplant." That must be the answer! Any donors out there?

Brianne
03-23-04, 09:54 PM
Well I am the inatentive type but I have only been over what I am told is my healthy weight according to height and age once and that was only by 5 lbs. So it didn't bother me really. More offten I have thought of myself as under weight but I don't relate it to ADD at all. I take after my mother as far as size, She never had weight issues until after having me and a misscarrage 2 years after me. No one in my family has ADD. I am it but I will say this..... I do however think ADD has a lot to do why I can't stay motivated in exercise. I am my weight because of my motablism but I have had no strenght or endurance since high school when I was more active and had to be for PE and running across the school with all my books because I never had time to go to my locker. Now I am not near as active and my parents are in better shape than I as far as strength and endurance go. And both parents are on diets but my dad is because of medication not weight and mom I am not sure why she thinks being a size 10 is so bad. But I hear all mothers go on a diet before their daughter gets married so maybe thats why? I dunno she wants to be a size 8 by september and although we haven't set a date to get married yet september is what we talk about the most.............ok I think I got of topic here somewhat lol Better go before I start to ramble too much LOL!

kat_in_mich
04-12-04, 12:45 PM
i am not on meds but my daughter is....she was a fat baby...80lbs at 4 yo....and then was put on ritalin and went to 45-50 in 5 mos. i was a fat kid after i hit 9-10 yrs and then it just kept going. i was able to lose some weight right after high school but i was living in detroit and had no money and was staying with some friends who had no money...we would share a can of corn and 2 slices of bread a day at times. went from about 240 to 170 in about 4 mos....but that was at 19 and before kids
was doing good and then.........got pregnant.....it does it to ya every time
anyhow i am just going on and on agian...like i always do...just wanted to let folks know they are not alone when it comes to diets and wanting/needing to lose weight

Energizer_Bunny
04-13-04, 03:13 AM
Well at this point in my life I am overweight. When I moved to Houston I was 125 and happy at 5'6. Well, then I learned about this thing in my head called ADHD, Tourettes, and OCD. So alone came the meds and my weight got to 172 and I was miserable. Well I got on Atkins, and got down to 130....well then something else happened, not sure what and my weight is back up again.

And you know when they say, that once you loose, if you gain it back, you gain back what you lost plus more weight.........well, it is true......I gained and additional 16 pounds. There has got to be something wrong with the doctors scale............

MRB
04-14-04, 12:31 AM
Earlier in the thread there was an "I'll work out if you work out" part - are we still doing that? I want someone to challenge me to do it. When I work out, I gradually lose. When I sit on my butt in front of the computer (a far more frequent occurence) ...

FightingBoredom
04-18-04, 06:48 PM
YES, just what all of you said! That's me!

Except the "I'll work out if you work out"

I'll work out if the gym is full of pretty women and some of them say hi to me and pretend I have a nats chance in a firestorm of getting their affection.... other than that....working out is for the young and thin.

kat_in_mich
04-19-04, 08:14 AM
I just dont seem to be able to get motivated to go to a gym. it is full of people trying to keep in shape....not for those who are trying despritely to get in shape....it is tough

paulbf
05-06-04, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I'm approaching 200lbs 36 waist & was 145 out of highschool at 5-10, 32 waist for a long time. Not fat but overweight. I have zero control about candy bars, chips & stuff. Who knows what I'd look like without chain smoking.

Mmm Reses peanut butter cups!!!!!!!!!!

Nucking_Futs
05-07-04, 04:18 PM
OK, my doctor say's I'm a little over weight and could use some toning up. Well, I see it another way my weight right now has no issue on my health, i'm not that much over weight. I work in long term care skinny people break their hips and other bones much more easier then us fatty's. I fall I bounce right back up.

OK no really I hate sweating it's just gross and I have no stamina and no self control were chocolate is concerned.

maverick_princess
05-07-04, 07:52 PM
I've been overweight most of my life, and most of my family is overweight. Believe it or not, I really started gaining weight in high school. I tried a couple exercise programs in college as well -- but too many temptations made me fall off the wagon. I would be on an exercise program now save for a sprained right knee.

healthwiz
06-08-04, 10:50 PM
I am on the South Beach diet now for about 19 days. I started out with a goal to lose 50 lbs. I have lost between 7-9 pounds so far, and am looking forward to the day I can say I lost 10 of them (20% of my goal!). Fortunately my family is very supportive, discouraging me from eating sweets at a restaurant, encouraging me to think about losing the weight. Most of the time I don't want to cheat, but at a restaurant with a big desert bar, well...that was damn tempting. The S Beach diet does a good job of keeping my hunger very satisfied, and not causing me to have cravings. I also am feeling better as far as emotions and concentration. So I would say ADD and diet are related, at least symptoms are exaccerbated for me by eating carbs and sugars.

Jon

Nucking_Futs
06-08-04, 10:53 PM
I wonder if I should vote again. NOw my doctor is ordering a weight gain. Geesh I feel like I'm never gonna please that man lol

MRB
06-09-04, 05:29 PM
Trust me when I tell you - when it comes to doctors, "you are never gonna please that man." If you feel good (chocolate excess aside, of course :D), do it. If you feel LOUSY, stop doing it.

And take your vitamins every day.

Nucking_Futs
06-11-04, 08:58 AM
I'm working on it... HOnestly, I feel over weight but I've lost too much weight too fast and NOT on purpose that is his worry. So, I"m supposed to pile it on?...I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

irish guy
07-02-04, 09:48 AM
I wasn't overweight until i quit smoking almost 3 yrs. ago. although i've stopped gaining...i can't seem to lose it either.

Keppig
07-02-04, 05:06 PM
Smoking did that for me too! I gained more than you but I think part of it was my preoccupation of having things in my mouth!! I went from cigarette smoking to nail biting to eating, and gum just doesn't work. A friend of mind chews on those plastic stirers you get with coffee. :D I quit smoking 12 years ago by the way. Glad I don't have cravings any more. They are the worst. Congrats on your 3 years!

irish guy
07-02-04, 08:00 PM
i went up 35 lbs. still miss it with the first cup of joe in the am. oddly it was after i quit that i developed hypertension. :rolleyes:

NightStar
07-02-04, 10:45 PM
I know I am overweight, I use to be skinny as a child running all over the place.

Now I eat for about every reason... if I am board, if I am tired... it is a problem for me, cause all the food I do eat is bad foods.

I just started the Strattera - and very happy to report that my appitite has deminished to 3 regular meals a day! So I have hope if I can afford to stay on this, but on the other hand if I look at the money I will be saving on food that might be do-able.

Nucking_Futs
07-03-04, 01:05 PM
My doctor and I have met in the middle...he's not happy with the weight I've lost so fast and I am...I'm at the weight I should be for my height and bone structure but I need to firm it up if ya know what I mean...pregnancy will do that to ya.

Now ya'll have me really scared though I'm trying to quit smoking...well I guess I won't give out those jeans I can't wear just yet.

dixiepeep
07-16-04, 09:00 AM
I am overweight and it has always bothered me. I have lost 15 pounds just eating salads and cutting out chocolate and potatoes. I still have more pounds that need to come off. I am so short it really shows when I put on weight.

NightStar
07-26-04, 07:50 PM
Since my last post, I got switched over to Mythlin (generic for Ritalin) and my appitite came back full force, I have just been going with it, no inclination to fix it at this time, still quite depressed about it.

I am only 5'1" 3/4 have to add ever bit I can, lol - I am over weight by 100 pounds, doc said he was going to put me on something for weight loss, but never did... so I just keep going the way I am.

NeuroticGoddess
07-29-04, 02:28 PM
I always FELT like I was overweight, growing up I had someone contribute to that thinking pattern and so I naturally assumed they were right and I was fat. But no matter how hard I tried I couldn't lose much weight unless I went without eating.
Of course now I still have weight issues, have found out some things that are wrong medically that allow me to gain/keep on weight easily and I take medication for it. In the past 5-6 months I have lost about 35 lbs. this is the first time in my life I have lost that much weight! So, I just keep taking my meds and trying to eat right, although a struggle that it is.
I have always been obsessed with my weight, it drives most people crazy that I constantly compare myself to EVERYONE I see....I am getting a bit better about that though, as I start to feel better about myself I am not ALWAYS comparing, just sometimes.

RmCL
09-07-04, 10:19 AM
Well....it doesn't help when cake decorating and sugar art is your hobby! I blame it all on my Mom, Grandmother, relatives, genetics. Mom was the original one who enticed me to Dairy Queen (then I had to end up working there as a teenager). She would be driving a long and ask me if I wanted an Ice Cream. I would of course say yes. She really wanted it for herself and used me as an excuse.

I think the sweet tooth tendency actually comes from my dear sweet Grandmother. She told me her secret once of adding sugar to peas. Her mother added sugar and cinnamon with butter to spaghetti noodles as a kid when they was going through the depression. My Grandmother also was famous for her cinnamon rolls. She even won a competition for a cake contest. I was doomed even before I was born.

And you guessed it ... we have diabetes in our family. Out of 5 brother's and sisters on my Mom's side (6 kids in all - original brady bunch) 4 of them had or has diabetes. Not a great statistic for me.

Now, I am not huge and am about 25 pds overweight. I need to go on that Adkins Diet again. I lost a bunch through that. The problem is I can't give up the sugar. The craving calls out to me. In fact this morning I was thinking what sugar loaded thing could I stop and get. Fortunately I didn't stop.:p

Dang...had to edit to say I just found the M&M's - weakness of mine!:D

dixiepeep
09-08-04, 09:41 AM
RmCl, we may be related...lol
My family is the same way. I crave sweets all of the time. I think it is an anxiety thing that has gotten out of hand. You when we were babies we cried for food and food comforted us. I think some of us never unlearn that. I know we "are" hungry when we say we are but I also crave sweets after hunger is satisfied. Yesterday on T.V. I saw someone fry a twinkie and I was like Oh, yea, I really needed to see that.

Ruby
09-16-04, 04:55 PM
I started impulse eating at about age 7. Previously, I had been very thin (my family nickname was "Tiny"), but I started packing on the pounds until I became quite the little butterball. Probably 50 lbs overweight as a child at my worst. I'm probably 25-30 lbs. overweight now. Struggle with it constantly. Interesting to me that 85% of the people here consider themselves overweight. 50% of Americans are overweight, so that's certainly statistically significant portion MORE than the US average (ie I would think it could not be based entirely on the poor quality of the US diet--that alone would account for a 50% report of overweight, but not the remaining 35%).

pharmacy boy
09-22-04, 11:57 AM
i have add instead of adhd, so im lazy and know its lack of motivation for me, i would be good losing 15-20lbs idealy but ive found adderall for me, not so much ritalin works to give me the boost to get off my butt and go for a walk or something like that.

aneededchange
12-03-04, 01:58 PM
I feel that I could still knock 15-20 pounds off and still be perfectly healthy.

I am told that I am Not fat, but I still see it.
As far as food goes, I would not say that I have no willpower - I just cant remember.

KnittingJunkie
01-09-05, 10:35 PM
I don't know...I'm five feet tall, for the love of Pete. My weight is equal to that of a friend of mine who's 5' 7'', and she's skinny as a rail...well, not anorexic, but quite thin, to be sure.

My doctor told me to lose some weight, so I did. Now, mind you, I was 135 pounds at the time, which was a little chunky on my frame. However, he wanted me to get all the way down to something like 105 lbs., which I did not quite achieve. At this point I'm a size 6, although a size 6 on a girl who's just above "midget" status, and a size 6 on a girl who's 5'7'' or so is a very different look somehow. I sort of look average for a short chick who's a mom, and my 5'7'' friend looks like a svelte model-ish sort of woman.

Clinically, I'm within normal range. The mid-to-high level of normal for my frame. But I marked "I consider myself to be overweight" simply because I could stand to lose a few more pounds.

Hopefully this entry makes sense and doesn't just sound like gibberish.

Chrys

moonlily
01-22-05, 09:37 PM
Im not overweight, but I am a sugar addict, just as bad :(

auntchris
02-04-05, 12:57 AM
I a few of pounds to loose but I have been dx with an eating disorder to so I tend not to eat when depressed. It is hard living alone and bad self esteem. I sometime forget to eat except breakfast. Ilove my breakfast. auntchris

Digitl
02-22-05, 05:51 PM
I use to be overweight, my weight in 1997 was 240 pounds, and now it's 128 pounds, I took my time and it never got back on. ( crossing my fingers LOL)
but i know that i was over weight because of my anxiety and poor self esteem. It's not that i ate so much , but it was in splurges. I would eat right for 4 days, and eat like a devil for the next 4. When i was very anxious i did eat sweet ect. And because all my energy were to trying not to be anxious and trying to control it. I did not move much, i was physicaly exhausted and i was big time hypercondriac... hell i had a new cancer everyday...and i dont know how many times i beleived i was going to die if i went to sleep. Thank for Effexor, it took all of my anxiety away.
I remember maybe 2 months after i realized that i did not have anxiety anymore. I even sat at the table and tried to be anxious, and trying to think of the worse scenario, that i would have anxiety for in the past. And i could not LOL..wooo hooo...:D

shinobi
02-23-05, 03:03 AM
well i go against the grain. Im underweight, just. About 117lb and 5ft 8in. Doc says im just below the bottom end of normal and it does not bother him. Im OK bout it. Oddly i put it down to similar reasons many are overweight. Poor self-esteem, anxiaty, the like. I guess the result was i ate less instead though. Dont have an eating dissoder and i have a high motabolisum (burn a dex in and out my system compleetly in 3 hours flat if im feeling OK), oh yeah, a physical job in a climate 20*c over what im used to helps as well. I was over weight at one point, by a fair bit, but i put that down to the ********* at the hospital putting me on amytriptaline, conciderd the third resort after stimulants and major tranquilisers have failed im annoyed coz they used me as a test dummie and put me straight on them first time round and didnt bother telling me or my parents. So yeah, bit odd i guess.

latesha
03-25-05, 11:36 PM
*BAWLING HERE* Please bare with me. I saw a surgeon yesterday...he informed me that I was fat, and that if I were not fat, that I would not be in pain. So that I needed to lose weight immediately. He olso told me that I needed to increase my strength in my abdominal muscles. He said, "Start out doing 1000 sit up crunchies a day", and "you need to rest your back!" ...My reply, "Yeah, I will get right on that Doctor." What do I wish I would have had the guts to say/do? Kick him in the shins and demand to be refered to someone with a little more empathy and a lot more class....

It is not a big secret that I am fat...I cant hide it behind "baggy clothes", they dont make them big enough! It is obvious to everyone who sees me, that I am fat...do i like that...NO, can I control it...well, not as much as one might think. You see, I have along with my ADD a syndrome called PCOS. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. 2 of the main symptoms are 1.) Obesity 2.) The inability to lose weight.

So yes this doctor was an insensitive jerk. He could have at least had some class, and some tact about it. I can look in the mirror and see that I am huge and hate what I see. I do not need to have it pointed out to me. Negitive motivation is NOT what I needed, because I came home from that appointment and consumed a WHOLE one pound Belgian Chocolate Candy Bar, plus a full course dinner, potatoe chips, and 6 glasses of wine. Think maybe I was depressed...or kinda using food to compensate? Nah...never!

However, I have been doing a lot of reading on my Syndrome. And I am doing what I can to motivate myself. I am starting slow, because I am in a lot of pain...mostly caused by the "unknown" at the moment, but I feel as though it is the PCOS. If I can control it with diet and some slow moderate exercise at first...then get to where I am able to actually MOVE and it not HURT so bad...I think things will start to turn around. Going to the bookstore tomorrow to buy a book that I found on the web called The PCOS Diet Book: How you can use the Nutritional Approach to deal with Polycystic Ocary Syndrome. I am going to buy it, I am going to read it, and I am going to follow it. Because I NEVER want to experence the utter humiliation, disgust, and utter sickness of what I went through yesterday in that doctors office.

By the way, dinner tonight was grilled salmon steak, wild rice, and an array of mixed vegetables, with a single slice of toasted 9 grain bread, and WATER not booze to drink. I am getting started...and I will try my best! I cant live like this anymore...and if there is any way to stop it...I am willing and ready to do it.

Imnapl
03-26-05, 12:02 AM
Have you checked out this site?
www.soulcysters.com/

latesha
03-26-05, 12:09 AM
Imnapl,
Yes, that is one of my favorites..I frequent the message boards there often, they are the ones who told me of the book that i am buying tomorrow! It has been a haven for me.

Thank you :)
Latte

latesha
03-26-05, 11:49 AM
Ok, so I am doing a little better than yesterday now. I have started a food journal, I have titled it Latesha's Food Journal: Recording food + Recording Feelings = Record Healing! Kinda catchy huh? LOL.
Breakfast this morning was :
1 Large Egg, pinch of salt/pepper/parsley
small can Mandarin Oranges (13 slices)
1 slice 9grain bread with a pat of real butter
1 small juice glass 100% Orange Juice
What surprises me the most is that I feel full. It sure did not look like much on my plate, even though I used a smaller plate. But after eating it, I am full, and I have more energy. Off to a good start!

So I am trying to keep a positive attitude! Today I still feel very resentful towards the surgeon who informed me that I was fat. However, I am doing the best that I can to overcome the feelings of resentfulness, and forgive the idiot doctor!
So far, the day has not started off so badly. I woke up, and decided to immediately fix breakfast so that my body could know that I was awake, and alert.
I have more energy today, even though I do not feel well, and am in quite a bit of pain still. ButI am hoping that once I start eating properly the pan will start to dissapate. If it does, then I will know I am correct and it is my PCOS. If it does not, then I will know that there is another problem, and further testing fromt he doctors is required...Just have to stick with this...This is no longer about how fat I am, or how I look...this is about my health, I am only 22 years old...I do not want to die before I reach 30.

auntchris
03-28-05, 10:01 PM
I am sorry you had that experiece Latte. Drs can be insensitive at times . Keep your chin up you are a strong women and you have what it takes to get through this. Ya dealt with me...hehehe...If ya need to talk more...email me

valerie
04-22-05, 09:14 PM
When I was on adderal, I was a nice size 9. I was taken off the adderal & put on straterra, I eat the same amount as I did on the adderal and I had gained wieght and a gut. I am miserable. Because of it my depression is getting worse I don't know what to do. I am hoping that my body is adjusting because I have been on the stimulants for almost 5 years.
Any words of wisdom?

valerie
04-22-05, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=valerie]When I was on adderal, I was a nice size 9. I was taken off the adderal & put on straterra, I eat the same amount as I did on the adderal and I had gained wieght and a gut. I am miserable. Because of it my depression is getting worse I don't know what to do. I am hoping that my body is adjusting because I have been on the stimulants for almost 5 years.
Any words of wisdom?[call me anything you want but never call me late for supper...]

FlyGurl
06-14-05, 03:16 PM
I guess I'm a "normal" weight for my 5'3 frame. But I have a goal and I'm going to reach it...I think i'm fat but other people don't ... I put that I'm overweight cause thats how I feel about myself.

Stephanie
07-13-05, 04:25 PM
Well, I allways have been in a "normal range". I am 5'3'' and my usually weight was around 130 - a few pounds more, a few pounds left.

About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with depression. Due to the medication I gained much, very much. I finally ended up at 175 - none of my clothes fit anymore. My sister-in-law who is living next door gained some pounds due to a pregnancy so she grabed me and we started running. Now I am down to 140 - gosh, I just noticed I allready dropped 35 pounds! :cool: I am pretty satiesfied - I fit my old jeans. If I'll drop a couple of more, that'll be fine, if not, that'll be fine too.

Funny thought - once I weight 120 and thought I was fat, flabby, sure nobody would look at me. :confused: Now, weighing more, I feel quite comfortable with myself and my body.

But ... My husband thinks I am sexy, and he tells me I am - and he told me too when I was at 175. Being sexy is not just the size you wear, it is so much more.

ricardo
05-16-06, 01:07 PM
Concerta has been the bomb for the last two and a half months. I have been taking it on and off for more than a year stupidly (it would end and then the procrastinator wouldn't go and get more) but now I always have safety stock... and it's being different.

I mean, it has been helping me put my life on track, learn social skills, practice impulse control (verbal especially, even when not on meds I now have practice of keeping my mouth shut and am able to keep the impulses to say BS to a minimum...) and in terms of body image...

I'm 181 centimeter = 5.938 320 21 feet tall, and some 75 days ago I was 81 kilogram = 178.574 432 37 pound and today I weighed 73.8 kilogram = 162.701 149 492 pound.

Concerta takes away my big cravings (I was a little child and I was already eating flasks of strawberry sweet with a spoon!!) and lets me eat healthy and low-calories. Protein, vitamins, little carbs, sugar to a minimum... I just have to control myself in the AM when I'm "Concerta sober", sometimes I don't resist and go to the kitchen eat all I can find!!

And I'm doing exercise and shaping my body - my jaw fell to the floor when I saw some pics I took from myself some months ago in front of the mirror, I had a truck tyre around my waist! And now... Almost flat and abs are coming out!!

I actually LOVE being ADHD [diagnosed, ha ha!]

Happy healthy eating friends :)

PS: insight you wanna give me on this extreme weight loss... I won't say that I'm not at least moderately worried of losing weight so fast, I know I'll stop when I get to a decent point (*** still needs to lose sooome fat!! dammit!) because I'd rather be eating anyway, Concerta lets me DECIDE if I want to eat! But as long as I keep the essential nutrition coming in, I can safely leave my body "run on fat stores"? I feel great so, I guess so. Anyway believe it or not I've lost some 30 pounds in a month when I was 16 or so. A crush about a girl. 81 kg to 66 kg. Wow that was impressive. Water and beach. And a noisy stomach of course.

PS2: thanks for reading :)

runinl8
05-16-06, 02:20 PM
I was never overweight until I had my children, at ages 37 and 38 (yes, I was out of my mind). Since then (11 yrs) I have continued to gain. I definately eat for stimulation and anxiety. And I smoke like a bad chimney. But then, I eat and smoke at the same time.
Same Here!!:D

william tell
05-16-06, 04:16 PM
I could'nt read all these post so I started with the first and then the last. I could'nt gain weight untill after I turned 35 now all I have to do is stay active and can stay at a constant 165 and at 5'10 thats slim

andecala
10-25-06, 07:55 AM
I am seriously overweight. I was in denial from ages 28 to 37 when I gained about 50 of these "just won't come off" pounds.

I was diagnosed with trichotillomania and moderate depression at age 11 and have been taking mostly SSRIs since age 19. I have spent the last 15 or so years out of 20 on some type of SSRI.

Last year, my relatively new therapist introduced the possibllity that I might have ADD (probably inattentive). Now, we know that to be the case!

Now I see that PCOS and/or Sleep apoenea may be contributers to other serious issues that I have had since puberty.

It is almost too much to take in.

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise that my psychiatrist is o leave for the rest of the year. Maybe this is my opportunity to find one that is in my PPO network and looks more at my big picture "whole self" issues.

QueensU_girl
11-02-06, 08:04 PM
Have you had a SLEEP STUDY?

andecala
11-05-06, 05:51 PM
Have you had a SLEEP STUDY?I have the paperwork to make the sleep study appointment in one of the piles on my desk.

I'm afraid that I will schedule the study during a time when I have lot's of obligations that I have forgotten about. I use a PDA now and it helps, but I still manage to mix up appoinment times and dates.

Also, I have a 2 year old DD and an ADD inatentive HD and I wouldn't be able to get any sleep from worry unless they both spent the night at his mother's house.

I am really going to try to do the sleep study during the month of November.

It sometimes amazes me how many issues we have to push our way through just to get the help we need for those very issues. :rolleyes: :eyebrow:

stubble
11-20-06, 02:36 AM
I dnt consider myself overweight, but rather a little skinny.On the whole, I am ok with my weight though.
I was just wondering who would go for surgery to lose weight...:confused: Certainly not me! I dnt trust those surgery stuffs. There is this instructor of mine who went for Liposuction Major (http://www.jdhealthcare.com/plastic.html#15) just because she had gained a few post pregnancy pounds. She was not so fat and would have surely lost those extra pounds...but I guess she was in a rush to get back to her pre-pregnancy weight, thats why she went for surgery:eyebrow:

Chastain
11-20-06, 11:35 AM
"Many ADDers also self medicate with food for both stimulatation and to help with anxiety. "

I couldn't agree with this statement more!!!!!!!! I have always struggled with food and my weight, but always blamed it on other things. In fact, I wasn't even diagnosed with ADD until recently. I am aware that the medication does help supress my appetite, but also the temptation to use food as an escape or distraction isn't there anymore. Still, I usually get at least a healthy 1200 calories a day because anorexia is a horrible thing.