View Full Version : I don't think my Adderall is working for me?

holopickles
09-20-17, 05:02 PM
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with what the dr. described as "severe ADHD" a few days ago. I am a nursing student who constantly makes mistakes at school, home, work so I decided trying medication to see if I would have some relief from the debilitating symptoms. I was prescribed 20 mg of generic Adderall and long story short I haven't slept in near 2 days, I feel it has intensified my ADHD symptoms, (songs playing over and over in my mind, zoning out still when people talk, inattentive to detail my usual symptoms but worse) and I am also having a constant feeling of dread. I am starting to think maybe taking a natural approach to this so I don't feel this way. Any similar experiences from this medicine? And what helps you to find relief from your ADHD?

Swissy
09-20-17, 06:50 PM
Are you taking XR or IR? I started on a relatively low dose, 10mg IR and it was too strong. If you are taking IR it is definitely too high of a starting dose and that could explain your negative effects. Try taking 1/4 of that... if it is XR, that is like taking 2 doses of 10mg IR. It could still be too high to start with. If you can, I'd get in touch with your doctor and request a smaller starting dose. From my experience, 5mg IR was a good start.

holopickles
09-20-17, 06:59 PM
It's XR

Lunacie
09-20-17, 07:42 PM
Some find that Adderall ramps them up to much and Ritalin works better.
Some find that Ritalin zombifies them and Adderall works better.

I was lucky that Omega 3 fish oil supplement cleared much of my brain fog
even before I was diagnosed. I'm not the only one who has found it to help.
Might be worth a try. It does cause fish burps for some people.

holopickles
09-20-17, 08:11 PM
Good to know. I've heard things like "if Adderall doesn't work then you don't have ADHD." Which is really frustrating. And I actually have some fish oil pills somewhere around the house I will give it a try, thank you!

Greyhound1
09-20-17, 08:39 PM
Good to know. I've heard things like "if Adderall doesn't work then you don't have ADHD." Which is really frustrating. And I actually have some fish oil pills somewhere around the house I will give it a try, thank you!

Whether Adderall works or not has nothing to do with whether you have ADHD. That would be frustrating to hear! That's why they make other medications as well to treat it. Many here have changed medications and dosages multiple times.

It's very difficult imo to get the right dose of Adderall dialed in. I have had varying experiences with efficacy and side effects. Currently on 30mg in the am. only.

Other medications I've tried which are quite effective for some here are Dextroamphetamine, Concerta, Vyvanse & Strattera.

Besides Adderall, Dextroamphetamine is a close second for me. I usually switch back and forth about every 8 mos. or so.

Don't be afraid to discuss your issues with your Dr. Treating ADHD really comes down to trial and error under your Dr's supervision. It can be very difficult, time consuming and frustrating finding the proper treatment.

Don't get discouraged. Rarely, does anyone get the perfect dose and medication on the first attempt. Just be honest with your Dr. and ask about changing something because current treatment isn't working very well.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

CharlesH
09-21-17, 05:30 AM
Your doctor can put you on a lower dose, or switch you off to a different medicine. You're always free to try the natural approach, but there isn't enough scientific evidence to prove its effectiveness.

20mg seems rather high for a starting dose. My opinion is that you should ask your doctor for a lower dose, such as 10mg, before giving up on Adderall.

sarahsweets
09-21-17, 07:28 AM
Its sounds like too high of a dose or the wrong med,

Little Missy
09-21-17, 08:44 AM
Two days, that has to be a new record!

holopickles
09-21-17, 02:12 PM
Two days, that has to be a new record!

I don't find your comment helpful Little Missy.. Perhaps you could have shared your knowledge? :)

Little Missy
09-21-17, 03:58 PM
Oh, it surely wasn't meant in any derogatory way to you!

I've never taken the Adderall XR either, but reading for years how long certain doses of whatever for whomever lasts, I was simply amazed at the duration.

Little Missy
09-21-17, 04:08 PM
I don't find your comment helpful Little Missy.. Perhaps you could have shared your knowledge? :)

I forgot to hit the quote. :)

aeon
09-21-17, 04:45 PM
Applied to me, those symptoms sound like too low of a dose.

Not that I have ever had Adderall...only Dexedrine for me.

After time spent with the methylphenidate class of drugs, I moved to the amphetamines.

I started with 45mg/day...which was a little low...so now I take 60mg/day.

I’m not sure I would even feel any effect with 20mg of Adderall.

YMMV,
Ian

CharlesH
09-22-17, 02:43 PM
Applied to me, those symptoms sound like too low of a dose.

Not that I have ever had Adderall...only Dexedrine for me.

After time spent with the methylphenidate class of drugs, I moved to the amphetamines.

I started with 45mg/day...which was a little low...so now I take 60mg/day.

Iím not sure I would even feel any effect with 20mg of Adderall.

YMMV,
Ian

I'm confused. You're saying that 20mg of Adderall would be too low of a dose for you, and thus you wouldn't feel any effect. You also say that taking too low of a dose can cause the symptoms that the OP is having: insomnia, anxiety, worsened ADHD, abnormal thinking, etc. Are you proposing a model with multiple thresholds?

The OP's symptoms seem like classic signs that dose is too high. Of course, I'm not a medical expert, so this is just my personal take on this.

aeon
09-22-17, 05:23 PM
I'm confused. You're saying that 20mg of Adderall would be too low of a dose for you, and thus you wouldn't feel any effect.

Likely so, yes, based on my experience of Dexedrine and Vyvanse.

You also say that taking too low of a dose can cause the symptoms that the OP is having: insomnia, anxiety, worsened ADHD, abnormal thinking, etc.

It does in me...other peopleís experiences will certainly vary.

Are you proposing a model with multiple thresholds?

I suppose so...noeffect->worseningADHD->efficacy->worseningsideeffects

Thatís how psychostimulants, both methylphenidate and amphetamines, work in me.

The OP's symptoms seem like classic signs that dose is too high. Of course, I'm not a medical expert, so this is just my personal take on this.

Could be. I simply wanted to offer my experience to show that indeed, response to psychostimulants differ from person to person, and what might be too much for one would present to another the same way when the dose was too low.

Cheers,
Ian