View Full Version : Was told i my test results were too high

unstoppedlemur
09-21-17, 02:33 PM
After deployment to Iraq I went to mental health and described my lack of focus, inability to finish what I started, etc. They put me on Concerta and for 7 years I took that every morning at 56 mg I tried going to a higher dose and didn't see any improvement so I went back to 56. We recently moved to MI and the VA here decided to do in depth testing and a sleep study. Sleep study says I have sleep apnea. I asked if I should stop taking the medication for the test and was told no I wouldn't make a difference. The test showed that I was way above normal for someone taking the medication so they told me I did not need it that I am depressed, anxiety and sleep deprived.
On the medication I created a database web site the combines 32 tables and processes our customers information and requests. I recently had to do a simple modification and it took me over 2 weeks to complete. I find that I will go to do something and forget my original purpose and work on something else (for instance my wife said she needed a towel for some spilled water, I went upstairs to get one saw some clothes on the floor and started picking them up until my wife came to find me and reminded me she needed a towel)
I am I just suffering withdraw still it has been 4 months and I feel like my life is a wreck before I could prioritize my problems and nothing seemed too big to cope, now I feel buried. I do not feel depressed never have been, sure maybe occasionally I have a down day but not very often. One doctor even told me that anyone would function better on the medication that I just have anxiety and sleep deprived. Every medication they have given me has not made me feel any better.
My son appears to have ADHD but since he just turned 18 they said it was too late to be diagnosed and that we should just treat his depression first but I feel from my own experiences that his depression is because he can't focus and as a result fails at a project he sets before himself. That if we treated the ADHD his mood would stabilize. They did try him on one medicine for a few months and he seemed more focused, played chess with anyone who would and only lost to me. They took him off of that because it had aggressive side effects and now say to treat the depression first.

aeon
09-21-17, 03:05 PM
Find a doctor who specializes in ADHD, or is at least up-to-date with the latest research and is knowledgeable about the disorder.

You’re never too old to be diagnosed with ADHD.

And there is no test for ADHD, or its severity, so regardless of how you may have tested on something, it doesn’t mean you don’t (or do) have it.

Forget the VA, and find someone competent.

Cheers,
Ian

TheGreatKing
09-21-17, 03:29 PM
Find a doctor who specializes in ADHD, or is at least up-to-date with the latest research and is knowledgeable about the disorder.

Youíre never too old to be diagnosed with ADHD.

And there is no test for ADHD, or its severity, so regardless of how you may have tested on something, it doesnít mean you donít (or do) have it.

Forget the VA, and find someone competent.

Cheers,
Ian

Hey This post says it all!:goodpost: Good advice.

Lunacie
09-21-17, 04:37 PM
I wish all psychiatrists, psychologists and other doctors who diagnose ADHD
were forced to read this forum for at least one month.

I can't remember how many posts there have been where someone has been
told they have depression instead of ADHD.

They need to look at the person's lifetime, like their school records, to see if
this is a recent depression or if they have struggled with focus and memory
all their lives.

And WTF don't they know that undiagnosed/untreated ADHD causes depression
and anxiety?

aeon
09-21-17, 04:50 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lunacie again.

Grr. http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Grrr.gif

:goodpost:

Well Said,
Ian

ToneTone
09-21-17, 05:08 PM
The opinion the provider gave on your son was just flat-out ignorant. Many of us here were diagnosed as adults, into our 30s and even 40s in my case.

It's never too late to be diagnosed and treated.

Your thinking seems really clear ... so I would just encourage you to keep going ... see if you can visit a different psychiatrist.

Apnea does mess with mood and messes with concentration in that you are indeed sleep deprived. But that doesn't mean that you don't have ADHD. The claim that anyone would be helped by Concerta isn't really true--lots of people would just feel overloaded by it ... Lots of people with ADHD don't feel good effects from it ...

BTW: Hats off to you for being a vet! I would say find the most flexible, creative psychiatrist you can find. If Concerta works, then it works! ...

I would say at minimum, set a time limit ... Be clear with the doctor ... I will give this 30 days to see how I feel.

Really what they should do is keep you on the Concerta ... add the new treatments ... then if you're feeling great and functioning well, slowly decrease the concerta to see how you do ... They shouldn't cut you off the one thing that helps you function in favor of the theoretical things that may or may not resolve your issues.

Don't be afraid to be an insistent patient. One thing I've learned is that when you are feeling bad with a doctor ... don't hide it! ... Don't hide your tears or fears or anything ... Because such reactions really tell doctors how you feel about their recommended path.

A friend of mine was experiencing confused thinking and he kept asking his internist to look at his long list of medications to see if something among them could interfere with cognition ... The doctor sorta blew him off multiple times ... then one time, my friend just basically cried and screamed ... (he's a guy in his 70s) .. and the doctor finally said ..."Well, this medicine here could possibly cause you problems." My friend went off the med and his cognition definitely improved.

Lesson I learned: forget the stoic thing when a doctor recommends a path that doesn't feel right. You don't need to yell or hype ... just don't hide your discomfort and disappointment and fear. Tell them you are terrified about not being on Concerta, if you have to.

Tone