View Full Version : Epic Work Failure

AndreaC
09-21-17, 05:09 PM
Hello all,

I'm going down the black hole in yet another job. There are no talks of canning me (not yet anyway), but I just can't stop making stupid mistakes!! Accidentally removed a committee member from the meeting invite. She missed the meeting and is upset. Was 100% sure I had all the forms I needed to pass out in the meeting. Got there and realized I left one out. Put the wrong version of a form in the packet and everyone in the room was confused. On and on. Mistake after lousy mistake. I know my manager and others think I'm incompetent and stupid. It's truly embarrassing to walk around your job knowing that others are probably talking about you and judging you as a dimwit. But like all the jobs before this one, I knew it wasn't a good fit for me when I interviewed for the position. I didn't like the job before I even accepted their offer. When they told me I'd be MANAGING the entire documentation process for a county organization and that I'd be responsible for forms documentation for 3 hospitals and 21 clinics, I knew I would be in waaay over my head. I didn't want the job. I knew I would fail mega ADD style. I even prayed that they wouldn't call me back. But they did. And I had to take it because I was down to my last unemployment check.

I'm at my wits in. I don't know what type of career to go into that will not aggravate my ADHD symptoms. I'm a 43-year-old mom of one. I wasted several years of my life getting a bachelors degree in a field I wasn't interested in. Turned around and got a masters degree in a field that I'm somewhat interested in but in this town that degree keeps me in jobs that aggravate the ADHD. I don't have the time nor the money to start fresh again. I have no idea what to try next. I can't just take anything because I have to make a certain amount of money just to pay all my bills, forget about surviving and thriving. I am drowning in debt/bills and at work. My life is a mess. I do not know what to do or where to go from here. I just know that I have to find what will work for me professionally and I truly don't know how to do that.

Any advice?

aeon
09-21-17, 05:17 PM
Are you medicated?

Wondering,
Ian

finallyfound10
09-21-17, 06:08 PM
I don't have any advice as I would be in your exact same shoes. That would be a terrible job for me! You must interview really well and have good resume, which isn't good in this case! It is a terrible feeling to have co-workers know you've messed up!!

I truly do feel your pain. I hope things work out for you!!

AndreaC
09-21-17, 07:32 PM
Are you medicated?

Wondering,
Ian
Hi Ian, I'm not on meds right now, but I have an appt coming up soon to start them.

aeon
09-21-17, 07:33 PM
Hi Ian, I'm not on meds right now, but I have an appt coming up soon to start them.

Good to hear...they can make all the difference in the world.

Cheers,
Ian

AndreaC
09-21-17, 07:38 PM
I don't have any advice as I would be in your exact same shoes. That would be a terrible job for me! You must interview really well and have good resume, which isn't good in this case! It is a terrible feeling to have co-workers know you've messed up!!

I truly do feel your pain. I hope things work out for you!!
Hi FinallyFound. Yes I interview well (I've been through so many jobs I've become a pro at it) and I have an impressive resume. I've worked at some well known companies in my industry and folks look at my resume and experience on paper and are wowed. But that's just it. I look great on paper. Get me on the job and I'm a complete failure. I've got to find the job/career that I'm suited for. I can't keep going on like this.

ScatterBrainX
09-22-17, 03:17 AM
I fully empathize with you! Small, inattentive mistakes like that are the bane of my existence!

One thing I learned is that feeling guilty or worried isn't helping anyone.
What helps is trying to find a way to overcome them.

Meds will help a lot. They have reduced my mistake rate by quite a bit.
Mindfulness also helps. It keeps the mind from being quite as distracted, and helps with focusing on the task at hand.

But, in the short term, see what kind of coping mechanisms you can develop, even if they seem a bit overly-cautious.

One idea: checklists! For every single step! And only check the mark when you are done with the task (but do so immediately after).
You have to invite X members? Set up a checkbox for each.
Everything you bring in a meeting goes on a checklist.
Double or even triple-check that you have the right forms in every packet before the meeting.
Maybe have 1-2 extra copies of the forms, just in case you realize you forgot one during the meeting.

Also, make sure everything is ready in good time, so you don't end up rushing to grab everything just before the meeting starts.

You can do this!
It will be hard, and it will take a while to find strategies that work for you.
But know that others like you have managed to improve a lot in this regard.
It will never be perfect, but it will be much better.

Pilgrim
09-22-17, 11:49 AM

This is one area I think melds come into there own. Those little things that others won't get over if there missed.

On a good day, could have great focus for 12 hrs. I enjoyed this because it had been forever before I could do this.

This is one of the reasons I am loathe to give them up. Maybe if I was retired and taking it easier.

I've now noticed that meds have dropped off a bit.

PoppnNSailinMan
09-22-17, 12:31 PM
I'm at my wits in. I don't know what type of career to go into that will not aggravate my ADHD symptoms.

Some jobs are probably more difficult for many people with ADHD not only because they require an attention to detail, but also just because they're boring and people with ADHD have an especially difficult time tolerating boredom.

I worked for a while for an insurance company and for eight hours a day, five days a week, I spent most of my time sitting in an office cubicle by myself doing paperwork. It was such a boring job that it felt like pure torture every day! During the afternoons, I usually got to where I started to feel sleepy and could hardly keep my eyes open. I quit that job after two months.

TheGreatKing
09-22-17, 07:22 PM
Good to hear...they can make all the difference in the world.

Cheers,
Ian

They are great, but when i take my concerta and when it wears off i start getting a headache every time.

aeon
09-22-17, 07:31 PM
They are great, but when i take my concerta and when it wears off i start getting a headache every time.

The comedown for me from methylphenidate...the headache, the utter brain fog, the irritable feeling...was part of the reason I moved to dextroamphetamine sulfate...which presents no such problems for me.

Interestingly enough, dextromethylphenidate (Focalin) never did that to me.

Cheers,
Ian

TheGreatKing
09-22-17, 11:14 PM
The comedown for me from methylphenidate...the headache, the utter brain fog, the irritable feeling...was part of the reason I moved to dextroamphetamine sulfate...which presents no such problems for me.

Interestingly enough, dextromethylphenidate (Focalin) never did that to me.

Cheers,
Ian

hmmm....maybe i will have to try that.:thankyou:

stef
09-23-17, 03:47 AM
I have an office job and parts are overwhelming and difficult
I think I would find what you describe, very difficult
The advice above is excellent!
If these meetings requiring documents are planned in advance , start collecting and assembling way, way before the meeting
Write what they are on big postits and thick marker
Make some notes for yourself , if something has a complicated file name it can also be in your personal shorthand " the one that's blue at the top", " the one thats super long", etc.

I do this because i either gave to print or scan attachments and i get really confused with this and often forget to print one.
(I dont know if this is any help i have a visual memory...)

I just got diagnosed and it makes a huge difference :)