View Full Version : Ritalin duration

jinxremoving22
09-23-17, 03:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I will try to keep this simple. Very hard forr my ADHD brain to accomplish lol.

Ive been taking ritalin for about 3 months now. Ive gradually increased my does so now im taking 15 mg in the morning, 15 mgs before lunch, and 10 mgs at around 3 in the afternoon.

The first half of my day goes well. Each dose of ritalin wears off at around 2 hours so theres usually a short gap between doses where im not benefiting from the medicine. After 4 or 5 PM im completely scattered. The problem is that i usually work 10-12 hour days so im extremely unproductive during the last few hours at work. I end up jumping between 10 different projects every couple of minutes because it is too difficult to inhibit my impulses when im not on medication. My partner only likes spending time with me on the weekend because that when im she gets to see me on my meds. I dont blame her at all.

My psychiatrist does not recommend that I take a 4th dose of ritalin because i might get insomnia. He also does not recommend that I take any more than 40 mgs a day. I dont know if thi is because i am very small with a below average weight. I respect his recommendations and I do not feel that I need to convince him to change his mind about this.

He mentioned extended release was an option, but I could tell he is not very fond of extended release ritalin. I agree, I do not like the idea of extended release- on weekends i only want to be medicated for a short time if i need to run errands or if im meeting up with friends for a bit.

The doctor mentioned that dexedrine or adderall are some other options. Adderall seems to be very popular. Never met anyone who takes dexedrine. However, I am guessing that I would prefer dexedrine since it doesnt effect the noradrenergic system as much. I guess I really wont know which I would prefer until Ive tried them.

While the ritalin is active, its amazing now helpful it is. Getting tasks done feels more rewarding and its easier for me to control the impulse to jump to a different task every 10 minutes. My partner called off our engagement earlier this year. Now that Im on ritalin, we are engaged again and im optimistic that our marriage will work. Ritalin just doesnt last long enough. I feel like Cinderella because I have to do all the things I want to do before the medication wears off. As soon as it wears off, im back to being a crappy person.

From what I have read, it seems amphetamines have a longer duration. About 5 or 6 hours. Im thinking this medication would be better.

Should I just be happy with Ritalin? Are my expectations for these medications to high?

sarahsweets
09-24-17, 08:38 AM
The first half of my day goes well. Each dose of ritalin wears off at around 2 hours so theres usually a short gap between doses where im not benefiting from the medicine. After 4 or 5 PM im completely scattered. The problem is that i usually work 10-12 hour days so im extremely unproductive during the last few hours at work. I end up jumping between 10 different projects every couple of minutes because it is too difficult to inhibit my impulses when im not on medication. My partner only likes spending time with me on the weekend because that when im she gets to see me on my meds. I dont blame her at all.
If there is that kind of personality difference on meds and off meds they are the wrong meds plain and simple. I am not saying there should be no difference but it should not be so noticeable that your partner doesnt like you on meds.

My psychiatrist does not recommend that I take a 4th dose of ritalin because i might get insomnia. He also does not recommend that I take any more than 40 mgs a day. I dont know if thi is because i am very small with a below average weight. I respect his recommendations and I do not feel that I need to convince him to change his mind about this.

He mentioned extended release was an option, but I could tell he is not very fond of extended release ritalin. I agree, I do not like the idea of extended release- on weekends i only want to be medicated for a short time if i need to run errands or if im meeting up with friends for a bit.

I question your doctor then. Rather than add an extra dose at the end of the day there are many more options. There are different meds and and an IR/Xr combo could work. Thats what I do with adderall. My last dose is an ir at the end of the day at 4. Ir meds last about 4 hours so if you were to take your last dose around then or even as late as 5 you might do ok. The other thing is adhd is everpresent, and chronic. It doesnt go away on the weekends and it doesnt stop just because you have something fun to do. You should be able to be medicated all the time and still enjoy life. Have you asked your doctor what his issue is with xr meds?

The doctor mentioned that dexedrine or adderall are some other options. Adderall seems to be very popular. Never met anyone who takes dexedrine. However, I am guessing that I would prefer dexedrine since it doesnt effect the noradrenergic system as much. I guess I really wont know which I would prefer until Ive tried them.

While the ritalin is active, its amazing now helpful it is. Getting tasks done feels more rewarding and its easier for me to control the impulse to jump to a different task every 10 minutes. My partner called off our engagement earlier this year. Now that Im on ritalin, we are engaged again and im optimistic that our marriage will work. Ritalin just doesnt last long enough. I feel like Cinderella because I have to do all the things I want to do before the medication wears off. As soon as it wears off, im back to being a crappy person.

As an aside, why was your engagement called off? Were you given a reason why?