View Full Version : Adderall Stopped Working Suddenly :(

islander2017
09-25-17, 07:50 PM
Hey everyone! :)

I am desperately looking for some advice and any help would be much appreciated! I have been on adderall 30 xr (brand name) for 5 years which worked perfectly up until a month ago when it stopped working suddenly. I tried taking a break for a week which didn't help. Whenever I take my adderall now, it makes my ears ring and I feel off. (I made a doctor's appointment but isn't for 2 weeks and I would like some advice anyways from people who may have experienced the same thing). Other info: 25 yr old female. 120 lbs, 5'7.

The only thing I can think of is that a month ago, I replaced my one coffee a day habit with drinking sugar-free monster energy drinks and iced tea drinks which I now know has vitamin C and can drastically affect the efficacy of adderall. I've learned that hydration is extremely important and although I have never drank that much water, I am thinking that maybe the energy drinks have dehydrated me. I take vitamin B and magnesium before bed every night and have increased my water intake.

I get at least 30 minutes of exercise outdoors every day and I eat fairly healthy and get plenty of sleep.

1)My question is, has this happened to anybody else?
2)And any advice on how to re-hydrate myself?!
3)Should I take some kind of drink from the pharmacy to clear out my system to make sure there are no remaining energy drink or iced tea in my system?
4)How many days do energy drinks/apple juice/iced tea stay in my system? And how to cleanse it?

Thanks for your help :D

sarahsweets
09-26-17, 04:25 AM
So you have only been taking the brand Shire?

islander2017
09-26-17, 08:00 PM
How do I know if Shire made it? It's a half clear and half orange capsule with orange beads that says ADDERALL XR on the clear part and 30 mg on the orange part.

sarahsweets
09-27-17, 12:28 PM
the bottle would say which lab it came from.``

Arei
09-27-17, 02:25 PM
I kinda had the same thing happen to me. I could take 2 Adderall XR 20s a day and have significant positive effects, but then one day it just quit. I had the ringing in my ears and sudden insomnia too, just from taking one pill a day. I started shaking too. I didn't try the medication again because it went from being fine to suddenly affecting me so much and I didn't want to risk it.

I would cut out the sugar free energy drink all together because sugar substitutes are really bad for your body. Coffee is a much better option than an energy drink any day of the week. Can't say for sure the caffeine is affecting you or not. Some people are sensitive and some people are not, it may or may not be the reason your body is suddenly not working with the Adderall.

MyAchillesheel
09-27-17, 03:45 PM
Islander 2017,

Yes, I have personally experienced exactly what you have and here are some suggestions.

There are several things for you to consider what could be triggering this issue:

1) Like Sarahsweets mentioned, has there been a change to the manufacturer of your adderall xr? This would be the easiest fix. If you don't know what you took over the previous 3 months your pharmacy will have a record and should be able to tell you exactly what brand or generic you were given.

2) Are you taking any new medications either over the counter or prescription? If so certain medications can block liver enzyme cyp2d6 and prevent proper metabolism of adderall /amphetamine.

3) Are you taking birth control and/or if you are has the brand been changed? Hormones play a vital role in how well stimulant medications work in men and women. In addition it is well documented that during a woman's cycle there are times when stimulants such as adderall work better than at other times based on fluctuations in estradiol and progesterone.

4) Are you a seasonal allergy sufferer? Allergy season such as Fall can wreak havoc and prevent stimulants from working properly. In addition certain allergy medications will also plug up liver enzyme cyp2d6 and prevent adderall from working properly.

5) Any new dietary changes over the past 30 days?

6) Any new supplements being taken?

7) It's possible you need a dosage adjustment which your doctor will help you with.

7) In the event you have answered NO to all the aforementioned, the last thing I can tell you is it is certainly possible you may need to supplement your diet with the necessary amino acids and vitamins required to increase available neurotransmitters.

When we take adderall our diet suffers from lack of nourishment because of the appetite suppression from adderall. We tend to eat less and If you don't eat enough protein you run low in neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin.

Those items would be as follows:

For increasing dopamine you can try the following: L tyrosine, DL Phenylalanine, L Phenylalanine, a good multi B vitamin, and vitamin C to assist in synthesis

For Increasing Serotonin you can try:
L-tryptophan, 5htp, Inositol, with some vitamin B6 and magnesium

What I am suggesting here is nothing new. You can take in equal amounts the dopamine and serotonin precursors all together so they are equally balanced. I take all of mine at bedtime. Some people take it during the day. To each their own as to what works best.

You can find more from researching Dr. Charles Parker and you can read the Mood Cure for more information. The Mood Cure is written by a different person.

Hopefully your issue isn't the nutritional aspect as it can take weeks or longer to rebuild depleted neurotransmitters.

When my medication stopped working suddenly it was due to all of the listed above at different times in my life (with the exception of birth control since I am male.)

I truly hope you are an easy fix as I have not been. My current issue is lack of neurotransmitters from poor diet.

Best wishes and success to you in getting back on track with adderall

CharlesH
09-29-17, 12:22 AM
Tinnitus might have something to do with the gaba neurotransmitter, which regulates anxiety. Have you noticed any changes in anxiety? Perhaps this might be a clue that could help your provider. I don't know anything further than this, though.

anonjwm
10-12-17, 10:52 PM
Hey islander2017 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=101666),

I am in a similar situation. You can read my post's here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188055

Anyway, I was on 30mg XR, it stopped working suddenly after 7 years, this happened a few weeks ago.

I went to the doctor last week, they decided to change my dose to 40mg.

Everything was perfect for the first 3 days, then it started returning to how it was with more focus.

I'll be returning to my provider this month for an appt, I am due to call her tomorrow for an update regarding this.

Hopefully we all get it sorted out.

Just my advice to you, I would cut the coffee/energy drinks. But that's up to you.

sarahsweets
10-14-17, 05:42 AM
Did we ever figure out the manufacturer?

4my2tee
10-19-17, 05:20 PM
Islander 2017,

Yes, I have personally experienced exactly what you have and here are some suggestions.

There are several things for you to consider what could be triggering this issue:

1) Like Sarahsweets mentioned, has there been a change to the manufacturer of your adderall xr? This would be the easiest fix. If you don't know what you took over the previous 3 months your pharmacy will have a record and should be able to tell you exactly what brand or generic you were given.

2) Are you taking any new medications either over the counter or prescription? If so certain medications can block liver enzyme cyp2d6 and prevent proper metabolism of adderall /amphetamine.

3) Are you taking birth control and/or if you are has the brand been changed? Hormones play a vital role in how well stimulant medications work in men and women. In addition it is well documented that during a woman's cycle there are times when stimulants such as adderall work better than at other times based on fluctuations in estradiol and progesterone.

4) Are you a seasonal allergy sufferer? Allergy season such as Fall can wreak havoc and prevent stimulants from working properly. In addition certain allergy medications will also plug up liver enzyme cyp2d6 and prevent adderall from working properly.

5) Any new dietary changes over the past 30 days?

6) Any new supplements being taken?

7) It's possible you need a dosage adjustment which your doctor will help you with.

7) In the event you have answered NO to all the aforementioned, the last thing I can tell you is it is certainly possible you may need to supplement your diet with the necessary amino acids and vitamins required to increase available neurotransmitters.

When we take adderall our diet suffers from lack of nourishment because of the appetite suppression from adderall. We tend to eat less and If you don't eat enough protein you run low in neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin.

Those items would be as follows:

For increasing dopamine you can try the following: L tyrosine, DL Phenylalanine, L Phenylalanine, a good multi B vitamin, and vitamin C to assist in synthesis

For Increasing Serotonin you can try:
L-tryptophan, 5htp, Inositol, with some vitamin B6 and magnesium

What I am suggesting here is nothing new. You can take in equal amounts the dopamine and serotonin precursors all together so they are equally balanced. I take all of mine at bedtime. Some people take it during the day. To each their own as to what works best.

You can find more from researching Dr. Charles Parker and you can read the Mood Cure for more information. The Mood Cure is written by a different person.

Hopefully your issue isn't the nutritional aspect as it can take weeks or longer to rebuild depleted neurotransmitters.

When my medication stopped working suddenly it was due to all of the listed above at different times in my life (with the exception of birth control since I am male.)

I truly hope you are an easy fix as I have not been. My current issue is lack of neurotransmitters from poor diet.

Best wishes and success to you in getting back on track with adderall
Does vitamins C and Multivitamin prevent adderall and Adderall XR from working properly? I was told this by someone at Shire.

4my2tee
10-19-17, 05:42 PM
The Vitamin C she said Anything with Vitamin C Fruit and Fruit Drinks. Also Milk Products Cheese, Yogurt... She said that you have to keep Acidic for Adderall to work. She said Coffee to but I will sneak it once in awhile I like it!!! So I change eating these things until evening and more protein. I would like to know if this is ... for real? Thanks

MyAchillesheel
10-20-17, 11:50 PM
Does vitamins C and Multivitamin prevent adderall and Adderall XR from working properly? I was told this by someone at Shire.

Yes, vitamin C if taken within an hour or two of the initial dose will increase the rate of amphetamine excretion and reduce its effectiveness.

If you were to Google Adderall/amphetamines and acidic drinks, supplements, and foods you will find a plethora of data regarding how acids reduce the amphetamine medications.

This information is also in pdf format from Shire online for your viewing pleasure.

That said I was unaware milk products were considered to acidic... Hmm....

MyAchillesheel
10-20-17, 11:55 PM
The Vitamin C she said Anything with Vitamin C Fruit and Fruit Drinks. Also Milk Products Cheese, Yogurt... She said that you have to keep Acidic for Adderall to work. She said Coffee to but I will sneak it once in awhile I like it!!! So I change eating these things until evening and more protein. I would like to know if this is ... for real? Thanks

I believe you meant to say "keep Alkaline" which is the opposite of "keep acidic".

You want to eat and drink as alkaline as you can during the day and in the evening eat and drink acidifying liquids, vitamins, and foods to help eliminate the amphetamines from your system so you can sleep better.

Good luck Peanut...

islander2017
11-15-17, 10:45 PM
MyAchillesHeel: I just saw your reply and sending you virtual hugs for such an informative post. Seriously can't thank you enough:D

To everyone else reading, sorry in advance for this being a long post but I want to be thorough so I can prevent anyone else from making the same mistakes I did;) :)

1)No change to the manufacturers as I have never taken generic. I've always taken brand adderall xr 30 and have 0 complaints.

2)Not taking any over the counter prescriptions and 3)I've never been on birth control. Adderall is the only medication I take.

4)I do have minor seasonal allergies from asthma and I have a flovent inhaler but haven't used it in approx a year :)

5)NUTRITION CHANGES? YES

WHY MY ADDERALL STOPPED WORKING AFTER 5 years of 30 xr working perfectly. (EUREKA!!!!)

MISTAKE #1: NUTRITION – LACK OF ESSENTIAL DAILY CALORIES, SUPER ACIDIC DIET AND NO PROTEIN :(
This is the #1 reason why my adderall 30xr stopped working after 5 years at the same dose!! However, I didn't realize this until I started a journal where I wrote down every single time I ate, drank, and what time I went to bed/woke up, how much exercise and my mood each day. I realized that since I moved a few months ago from cali to east coast which was when my meds stopped working and it's mainly because my nutrition changed for the worse. Without realizing, I wasn't eating enough daily calories and I eliminated all of my protein sources which i now know is EXTREMELY important for meds to work effectively. One other important change that made my adderall ineffective when I moved was that when I woke up every morning I would take my adderall with a monster energy drink which I know now is full of vitamin c and acidic which completely ruins the adderall for me anyways. (weird bc before, I would always take adderall with soda or coffee and it worked but now i know water is best.)
*I learned- alkaline diet is best, protein is super key, take adderall with water and wait an hour, avoid vitamin c an hour before or after taking your adderall and avoid acidic food or drink which affect adderall absorption.*

MISTAKE #2 – LACK OF SLEEP...NOT GETTING 8 HOURS EVERY NIGHT SUPER INCONSISTENT SLEEP PATTERNS
Apart from that, when I moved and began working part time instead of my usual 60 hour work week, I got a messed up sleep schedule and incosistent out of routine patterns which meant I was taking my adderall sometimes after 12pm without realizing and then other days at 6am. I wasn't sleeping 8 hours every night like I used to which is also super important not to mention I wasn't taking my adderall every 24 hours like I used to which is also key.
*I learned- Getting an 8 hour sleep every night makes your adderall work better trust me :) If you can't sleep, eliminate caffeine sources and consider adding magnesium and melatonin and vitamin C*

A month ago, I added magnesium glycenate and omega 3 fish oil daily, ensuring 8 hour sleep every night and took a 2 week adderall vacation which believe me was a struggle bc I was next level sleepy all the time. After 2 weeks I started up my adderall and felt better and adderall was working well again. UNTIL...

On Oct 31, I drank 3 alcohol beverages mixed with energy drink at my friend's halloween party which wouldnt be a big deal except I had work early the next morning so I only slept 3 hours, took my adderall, and drank 2 coffees (instead of my usual 1 and no other liquids that day, barely ate..dumb i know). 2 days afterward, my skin was and has been ever since, extremely dry, chapped lips and ringing ears again. I'm sleepy af. Plus, I weighed myself for the first time in months and found out I had gained 7 pounds all around my stomach area which I know understand is nutrition related for sure. I know for sure my dopamine levels are down after reading about dopamine depletion symptoms.

ANYWAYS MOVING FORWARD..STARTING TOMORROW
1) TO DEAL WITH DEHYDRATED BODY...Unfortunately I can't take another addy holiday right now bc its super busy work deadlines, so my question is how to rehydrate myself. I've been sleeping 10 hour a night, eating a lotttt of calories and gatorade so far has helped a lot although beware it can mess with adderall absorption because of acidic and vitamin c content. Also, chicken noodle soup. Iceberg lettuce, watermelon, cucumber, strawberries, bananas, spinach, oranges and carrots. PEDIALYTE?! Will ask pharmacist if they recomend pedialyte for me

2) Bc I am super low on protein and wasn't eating enough daily calorie intake which has affected my adderall the most in my opinion, I bought whey protein powder (it has no vitamin c) to take in morning before or with adderall, and plan on juicing every 3 hours with spinach, kale, cucumber, almonds, chia seeds,and meals will have lots of calories and will be sure to include chicken, eggs, and other aforementioned high protein/hydration foods. Have been drinking lots of water too.

3) For anyone else who cares, BANANAS are super great way to get the potassium your body desperately needs bc it is common for potassium levels to get low if taking adderall. So I eat at least 2 a day.

4) "When we take adderall our diet suffers from lack of nourishment because of the appetite suppression from adderall. We tend to eat less and If you don't eat enough protein you run low in neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin.*"
So true. If only I knew then what I know what :(

QUESTIONS MOVING FORWARD
1) BECAUSE I AM CLEARLY LOW ON DOPAMINE, I WILL PICK UP A MULTI-B VITAMIN BUT SHOULD I ADD L TYROSINE WHICH APPARENTLY IS BEST DOPAMINE BOOSTER? (i know taking it with adderall may cause serotonin syndrome but I desperately need dopamine and serotonin to replenish body). As previously mentioned, I am still taking magnesium glycenate which protects body from potential addy neurotoxicity and which has helped me stop grinding my teeth which i used to do sometimes when stressed or lacking sleep...and I take omega 3 which has many benefits. SHOULD I ALSO GET ZINC AND IODINE? My nails are brittle, I have circles under eyes and hair is thinner but these are also dehydration signs. I dont want to take toooo many vitamins but need to replenish neurotransmitters.

2) For increasing serotonin, should I try l-tryptophan as you suggested? I went tanning earlier today in tanning bed for 5 minutes which i know is bad for many reasons people please dont lecture, but the source of vitamin D made my horrible tension headache instantly go away and it boosted my mood slightly :)

“Hopefully your issue isn't the nutritional aspect as it can take weeks or longer to rebuild depleted neurotransmitters.” It's definitely nutritional and I hope I can fix it by Jan 1, 2018 at the latest...now that I have figured out my problem, things are looking up :)

Lastly, from from now until christmas is busiest time of work and many deadlines, I cannot take an adderall vaccation for more than one day a week. So, SHOULD I CONSULT MY DOCTOR ABOUT POSSIBLY SWITCHING TO VYVANSE FOR A FEW WEEKS? Apparently vyvanse for many is smoother, more consistent and less harmful on body..although i know its an amphetamine too.

Thanks for all of the advice and for listening friends..much appreciated!! :)

islander2017
11-15-17, 11:06 PM
Hmmm I thought milk was neither alkaline nor acidic but neutral. Yogurt is actually a good source of protein but avoid vitamin c and acidic foods/drinks at least an hour before or after taking your adderall.

sarahsweets
11-16-17, 03:03 AM
What signs or symptoms lead you to believe you are low on dopamine?