View Full Version : How Should Concerta Affect?

Asymmetrical
09-28-17, 05:15 AM
I was recently diagnosed with ADD and put on Concerta.

First day on 18mg was incredible I was able to concentrate and do stuff I've been putting on hold for months. I felt I was almost forced to do them. My mind was relaxed and feelings in balance.

However on the subsequent days I feel no such effect and it's hard to start doing anything and procrastinating is on same level than before taking the med. No motivation whatsoever. Feelings are more balanced, less anxiety and when I'm able to start doing something concentration is somewhat better.

Is this normal? It could be that my other meds are affecting but it kinda feels that there's slight improvement but not that much. I would expect the medicine to help to start doing stuff and alleviate procrastination, am I wrong for thinking this?

Emre22
09-28-17, 11:34 AM
What else you are using as medication?
Also i must say that 18mg is lowest dose maybe thats why it isnt that much effective

Asymmetrical
09-28-17, 01:04 PM
What else you are using as medication?
Also i must say that 18mg is lowest dose maybe thats why it isnt that much effective

Brintellix 20mg.

We are trying to find the right dose and gradually bring it to 54mg if needed. I bumped Concerta after week to 32mg and don't seem much of a difference subtle at best or maybe I'm hoping for too much? Fidgeting hasn't decreased at all :confused:

What I'm asking is do people on Concerta generally get 'let's get **** done' feeling or do you have to push or force yourself and concerta helps to concentrate?

I have pretty bad anxiety and was hopeful when doc said it might help that as well. It certainly has slightly relaxed my brain and helps little bit but nothing to write home about.

aeon
09-28-17, 01:14 PM
In general, procrastination is not helped by Concerta, much less any ADHD med.

That has to come from you.

Cheers,
Ian

Asymmetrical
09-28-17, 02:04 PM
In general, procrastination is not helped by Concerta, much less any ADHD med.

That has to come from you.

Cheers,
Ian
Interesting and little disheartening. Procrastination has been a big problem for me. Feeling that I have to do something and being able to get things done was immensely satisfying feeling.

Is it common to get that kind of affect on the first day though? I've seen some other posts describing the first day as such and wasn't sure was that how it should affect from day to day

aeon
09-28-17, 02:59 PM
Is it common to get that kind of affect on the first day though? I've seen some other posts describing the first day as such and wasn't sure was that how it should affect from day to day

It can be, in part because of the initial relief of disability of executive function leading to an upward emotional mood swing, which in turn gives energy to other mental dynamics. This is especially true if one has expectations in this regard and/or it is the first experience of efficacious treatment with medication.

That said, this effect is short-term, and does not last.

Procrastination is a complex mental process involving many areas of the brain, as well as layers of cognition and emotion...ADHD medication only addresses a subset of those things.

With successful, efficacious treatment, the disability of ADHD is lessened such that you are left with enough resources to create a plan and do the work to address procrastination...and that is the point...it is something you must do yourself. You may need help with that, aside from the help medication provides so you can even begin the planning process.

Cheers,
Ian

TheGreatKing
09-28-17, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't help me with procrastination either which means like aeon mentioned above you will have to find a way to help yourself push threw the procrastination.

Asymmetrical
09-28-17, 05:02 PM
Doing some research and Getting things Done (GTD) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCswMsONkwY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCswMsONkwY) seems something that could help. Basically you empty your mind to piece of paper and set the next actionable thing you can do for each item.

Need to pickup your meds -> next actionable thing: drive to drugstore

TheGreatKing
09-28-17, 07:24 PM
But do you think that would help procrastination?

Asymmetrical
09-29-17, 07:23 AM
But do you think that would help procrastination?

We'll see. On the first day of Concerta I just instantly knew what part I had to work on and did it without thinking too much.

The very least it lowers the barrier to do something. If item takes less than 2 minutes you do the thing instantly. I was able to do few things just by thinking 'what the hell it only takes less than 2 minutes and I don't have to worry about it anymore'.

I've seen this recommended on site called reddit regarding procrastination and people have reported good outcomes using it.