View Full Version : Concerta tolerance

tomaspitt
09-28-17, 05:51 AM
How fast does tolerance to Concerta develop? Ive been diagnosed as ADHD and I usually turn Concerta to instant release with breaking time release mechanism, is it ok to do so? The reason is that instant release methylphenidate is doing much more to treat my ADHD then XR. Thanks

midnightstar
09-30-17, 03:15 PM
It's not recommended to do that according to the maker of it.

Speaking as a mod now: to make sure this thread doesn't venture into the "against the guidelines" territory, please be aware of these guidelines:

NO posts involving O.D.s, illegal or improper use of Medication are allowed

In an effort to protect all who use these forums, no posts will be allowed that encourage or support the illegal or improper use of medication of any kind. We do not condone illegal or improper use and do not wish to be a source of information for people who would use medication this way. This includes talk about overdoses or O.D.'s.

Guidelines are found here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

PI-ADHD 29
09-08-18, 04:05 PM
I have used 36 mg concerta for a month. At first two weeks it worked good but then it didn't work. Doctor prescribed me 54 mg a few days ago. But it's working only a little. Can tolerance start just in a few week? Do I need more than 54 mg? Is there anyone who developed tolerance in so short time?

DarkMaGiicS
09-10-18, 10:31 AM
I have used 36 mg concerta for a month. At first two weeks it worked good but then it didn't work. Doctor prescribed me 54 mg a few days ago. But it's working only a little. Can tolerance start just in a few week? Do I need more than 54 mg? Is there anyone who developed tolerance in so short time?

What tolerance have you developed?
Because tolerance shouldn't be a issue unless your chasing the side effects as in more motive, energy, eup feeling
Focus is the remaining effect that should last for a while.

I'm on 72mg Concerta, I had the motive and eup feeling as i started this medication, But the focus stayed.

Some people abuse/chase the medication as the physio effects it gets.

If you feel that the medication is STILL not good enough, Ask for a increase, The medication, Well Concerta should start working a hour after taken

But also it can depend, Weight, Age and metabolism, Even other medication you take

benito
09-10-18, 11:48 AM
At the beginning of my diagnosis I made the mistake of looking more and more for the energetic effect of the medication. It took me a while to realize that the good dose is one that allows you to function well with the least side effects.

PI-ADHD 29
09-11-18, 02:20 AM
What tolerance have you developed?
Because tolerance shouldn't be a issue unless your chasing the side effects as in more motive, energy, eup feeling
Focus is the remaining effect that should last for a while.

I'm on 72mg Concerta, I had the motive and eup feeling as i started this medication, But the focus stayed.

Some people abuse/chase the medication as the physio effects it gets.

If you feel that the medication is STILL not good enough, Ask for a increase, The medication, Well Concerta should start working a hour after taken

But also it can depend, Weight, Age and metabolism, Even other medication you takeAt first there were physical effects (heart palpitations,dry mouth,nervousness etc) but now I feel very low side effects. It makes me alert, gives energy but I can't focus on my academic works as good as I started to use 36 mg. I can study first 2-3 hours and then my concentration impairs, I bore and do something else (I really want and love to study but I bore too quickly, I even difficulty finish a paragraph). But alertness goes on for 8-10 hours.

DarkMaGiicS
09-11-18, 02:48 PM
At first there were physical effects (heart palpitations,dry mouth,nervousness etc) but now I feel very low side effects. It makes me alert, gives energy but I can't focus on my academic works as good as I started to use 36 mg. I can study first 2-3 hours and then my concentration impairs, I bore and do something else (I really want and love to study but I bore too quickly, I even difficulty finish a paragraph). But alertness goes on for 8-10 hours.

Have you been on Concerta before? The first 1-3 hours is when Concerta peaks its levels at, and again around 6-7 hours, Concerta can last for some.people up to 12 hours long!

You may need a increase, I wouldn't generally say its anything to do with tolerance, It sounds more as in its to low!

The energy and motive/alertness, will disappear in couple days, Maybe weeks.. The focus effect should be the remaining effect

If its the motive, energy and alertness that your seeking, Just give it a couple of days break and it will be back to basic, But these medications are very easy to abuse, leading to addiction, dependency, marked tolerance, and sometimes fatal overdose, The eup feeling (Motive, Energy ect) can be dangerous, especially on your heart & brain, You want these effects to stay but the best way is to get rid of them and let the focus effect work its peak, Get a increase? But becareful the effects won't last long, Just the focus effect..

I'm hoping you understand what i mean, As within AD(H)D we notice the focus effect very well and know when it may be to high or to low.

PI-ADHD 29
09-12-18, 01:19 AM
Have you been on Concerta before? The first 1-3 hours is when Concerta peaks its levels at, and again around 6-7 hours, Concerta can last for some.people up to 12 hours long!

You may need a increase, I wouldn't generally say its anything to do with tolerance, It sounds more as in its to low!

The energy and motive/alertness, will disappear in couple days, Maybe weeks.. The focus effect should be the remaining effect

If its the motive, energy and alertness that your seeking, Just give it a couple of days break and it will be back to basic, But these medications are very easy to abuse, leading to addiction, dependency, marked tolerance, and sometimes fatal overdose, The eup feeling (Motive, Energy ect) can be dangerous, especially on your heart & brain, You want these effects to stay but the best way is to get rid of them and let the focus effect work its peak, Get a increase? But becareful the effects won't last long, Just the focus effect..

I'm hoping you understand what i mean, As within AD(H)D we notice the focus effect very well and know when it may be to high or to low.I was diagnogesed firstly about 2,5 months ago. Firstly doc gave me 10 mg ritalin. The focus effect of ritalin was super but very short. Then doc gave me 36 mg concerta.I have used 30 pills of 36 mg.At first days concerta focused me good but not as good as ritalin. At last days of 36 mg it's focus effect was too low. I told doc that.He said 36 mg was starting dosage and he prescribed 54 mg concerta+40 mg strattera. And I have been using 54 mg for 10 days.
Of course I do not seek energy, alertness. I'm not abusing the drug.I just want focus effect.
I will break drug for a few days.

benito
09-12-18, 02:45 AM
I was diagnogesed firstly about 2,5 months ago. Firstly doc gave me 10 mg ritalin. The focus effect of ritalin was super but very short. Then doc gave me 36 mg concerta.I have used 30 pills of 36 mg.At first days concerta focused me good but not as good as ritalin. At last days of 36 mg it's focus effect was too low. I told doc that.He said 36 mg was starting dosage and he prescribed 54 mg concerta+40 mg strattera. And I have been using 54 mg for 10 days.
Of course I do not seek energy, alertness. I'm not abusing the drug.I just want focus effect.
I will break drug for a few days.
You are in a therapeutic dose. I would go up every week until you reach your dose. Your dose is one that allows you to be focused but at the same time be calm. It is possible that you reach a dose in which you notice that it is too much, then go down to the next lower one and stay in that.

I'm not a doctor, please, discuss this with your doctor and follow his instructions. This is just an idea to help you better understand the situation.

hydrogene
09-13-18, 12:45 PM
Each person is different, I myself developed tolerance to amphetamine within 2 weeks (decreasing duration of action and decreasing effects). But I know people who have been taking the same dosage for a few months before increasing the dosage. You can switch between Concerta and Adderall once you build up a tolerance to one of these 2 meds.