View Full Version : Doctor suggested dividing capsules

adhd2017
09-28-17, 11:20 AM
I have filled a prescription for 80mg but I have been hesistant to start. Dr. recommended I take half dose for first 5 days, which is tricky b/c they at 80mg capsules. he suggested pouring into a glass and adding water and drinking half the glass, but I am tempted to just try the 80 and see what happens.

Any suggestions from those who tried to do this?

namazu
09-28-17, 03:02 PM
80mg is a pretty high starting dose for someone who's never taken the medication before. The recommended starting dose for adults is 40mg:
Dosing of children and adolescents over 70 kg body weight and adults — STRATTERA should be initiated at a total daily dose of 40 mg and increased after a minimum of 3 days to a target total daily dose of approximately 80 mg administered either as a single daily dose in the morning or as evenly divided doses in the morning and late afternoon/early evening. After 2 to 4 additional weeks, the dose may be increased to a maximum of 100 mg in patients who have not achieved an optimal response.
I know that it's tempting to just skip ahead, but there are good reasons for titrating medications, and you don't want to overshoot or unnecessarily stress your body.

The manufacturer's prescribing instructions (https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/021411s035lbl.pdf) explicitly advise patients not to split capsules:
STRATTERA capsules are not intended to be opened, they should be taken whole
and
STRATTERA capsules are not intended to be opened. In the event of capsule content coming in contact with the eye, the affected eye should be flushed immediately with water, and medical advice obtained. Hands and any potentially contaminated surfaces should be washed as soon as possible

The manufacturer seems to like to give out free starter-pack samples for titration (starting at the lower doses and moving up to the recommended doses gradually). I would ask your doctor if they have any of those.

If they don't talk to to pharmaceutical company reps (which I'd generally consider a good thing!) and don't have a starter pack lying around, then perhaps they could actually prescribe you a week or two's worth of a lower dose.

That would reduce your chances of side effects (and/or help you figure out earlier how to deal with them). And it would mean you're not forced to drink a nasty brew that will likely contain an unpredictable amount of medication and possibly irritate your esophagus and stomach.

Good luck!

calbino
10-07-17, 09:22 AM
he suggested pouring into a glass and adding water and drinking half the glass

That's just ridiculous.

Starting at 80mg isn't inherently unsafe, but in all probability you won't be loving life for a while.

It also means you won't have the opportunity to find out if lower doses, 40/60 etc, are just as effective for you but without as many side effects as 80mg

f4lseanalogy
10-17-17, 12:05 AM
A general rule for medication try a small dose as possible. I've been curious with the medicine and tried playing with dosage and it turned out bad, my scenario was my pharmacy would not give me a refill since I double dose without consultation, I ended up not taking the medication for 4 days and that ****** me up and since Strattera is the kind of medicine that needs to build up and has to be consecutively. My advice is to keep up with the plan and never up your dose unless the practitioner says so. Set an alarm in order to pop the pills in right time and you can always suggest to the doctor to start in low dosage.
~~~~~~~~
Strattera 1 month and 2 weeks user
120lbs
40 day and night.