View Full Version : Help with dosing please!

amatally
09-30-17, 03:35 PM
Hi, I know everyone reacts differently to meds and that I ultimately need to talk to my doctor about this, which I will do, but I'd like some advice.

I'm currently taking 40 mg Adderall XR (2 20's) in the morning. I don't feel like it's doing anything. There might be some points where I think it's working, but that's usually if I don't eat and drink a coffee too. Before this we had done an experiment with the IR and I found that 40 mg IR felt like a good point for me mentally. Physically, I did feel like at times, it felt a little harsh. The doc didn't seem to think any physical symptoms I felt were outside normal side effects others have had so that was good, but then he switched me to 40 mg XR and I don't feel like it's working effectively at all.

I'm super frustrated. I feel like that's like taking 2 20 mg IR twice a day and like it's not covering me. Plus even when I do think I feel it a little, it only seems to last until about 3:30, but the effects seems so subtle that I don't even know if I'm actually feeling anything or if I'm just thinking about it too much or something.

Anyways, my question is should I ask to try 2 25 mg per day (I'm pretty sure it says they come in that) or if I should ask about 2 30's per day? I don't want to seem like I'm trying to get more either. I just want to feel like it's effective. Is 60 mg too big of a jump and I should try 50 mg first? If anyone has any thoughts or past experiences that are similar, I'd appreciate finding out how things have worked out.

Also does anyone take both a nonstimulant and a stimulant to keep doses lower? Just wondering if I should ask about that too.

Thanks in advance.

nanajoy
09-30-17, 04:21 PM
I understand. I think that most of us do. My doc THINKS that the XR lasts for 24 hours. For me it is a little less than 4 hours. I have just decided plan my days. If I have paper work to do after regular work, I'll wait and take it then. Some days I have important meetings, paperwork, and then teach a class at night. I tried to take my meds at different times. Focus for paperwork always wins. If I take my medication to do that the of work, it gets done in less time. For example, no meds, and it could take me 6 hours once I get HOME from work. Often, I STILL have to take it home and do it after work, but I get the same work done in 2 hours if I wait and take my meds for the task at hand. I have become selective and discerning about when I need my meds most. You are not alone. I also understand that the doc makes you feel like you are a drug seeker. That's another reason why I pick what needs to be done best and mist every day. GOOD LUCK! (I take 15 MG XR)

Swissy
09-30-17, 08:31 PM
If you already know that the IR works for you, I'd ask to go back to that. IR works so much better than XR for me.

sarahsweets
10-01-17, 07:03 AM
Ir lasts about 4 hours and xr about 6-8 and thats if you are lucky. I dont think there is anything wrong with asking for a dose change.

amatally
10-01-17, 12:45 PM
Thank you so much for the responses guys! I don't think my doc thinks I'm seeking drugs, but I know people do that so I like to be aware of how I sound. I think I am going to ask to go back to IR or something. I don't really mind taking them throughout the day. We shall see! Maybe it ends up not being the right fit for me. Who knows. That's good to know that sometimes IR and XR work differently for different people.

nanajoy
10-01-17, 08:27 PM
Best of luck. I have a medical reason why I absorb medications differently than others. My doc doesn't understand it, and I've given up trying to explain it. I just try to pick the times that I need to not be scattered and unfocused. I would love to feel normal for 12 hours, but a few hours is better than nothing.

amatally
10-01-17, 09:04 PM
That sounds so frustrating! I wish you the best of luck. It'd be great if there was something that worked 24/7 ugh... well we'll try to do the best with what we have I guess.