View Full Version : Can you eat apples from tree with insects?

Fuzzy12
10-02-17, 06:07 AM
Possibly stupid question but I'm trying to be sensible about it rather than just go with my gut feeling which is to throw everything away.

So I just plucked some apples from our apple but I noticed that at the bottom of the bowl there were some insects craving about.little bugs, look like big lice. They must have been on the apples I plucked.the apples thrnselves look very good.

Can we still eat them? Are a few insects normal or are they always bad news?

In other news my skin is crawling and my ear is itching.I'm wondering if I've got insects all over me...and if they have crawled inside my ear.:confused:

acdc01
10-02-17, 06:48 AM
Normal.

Fuzzy12
10-02-17, 10:13 AM
What is normal? That they have a few insects or me worrying abpit them? Can I still eat the apples?

Little Missy
10-02-17, 12:20 PM
What is normal? That they have a few insects or me worrying abpit them? Can I still eat the apples?

Of course. Give them a good rinse off if you're worried.

acdc01
10-02-17, 10:48 PM

Both.

I won't eat apple trees from backyards anymore. Only the flawless ones from the grocery store after I saw too many holes and insects in apples when picking them for a local charity one time.

Too afraid I'll bite into a worm or catapillar or something even though I know it wouldn't kill me if I did.

Unmanagable
10-03-17, 10:36 AM
Yes, you can. Wash them and then cut them into wedges before eating so you can see the inside of it before biting into it. Squeeze a little lemon juice over them after you cut them to keep them from browning.

I used to be way freaked out by that kind of stuff, too, but now much prefer the tree/vine ripened fruits over the store bought stuff shipped in from all over hell's half acre after being picked unripe and heavily preserved via however they choose to do so to be kept looking pristine while being shipped. Then I learned about the processes, ingredients, etc. and got freaked out about that, instead.

It tickles me that so many worry about eating something they saw an insect on or a worm in that can easily be washed off or cut out before eating the whole piece of fruit, yet steadily and happily consume all of the "pretty" ones that were heavily marinated in the invisible to the naked eye pesticides and such that you can't as easily wash all the way off, or ever cut away, with a few exceptions of the thicker peelings and such. Things that make me go hmmmm....lol.

A good indicator to me about whether I should even be consuming a food is if other living things in "the wild" are willing to consume it, too. I remember seeing a blow pop on the ground, sweetened with either aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, that the ants and other insects made it a point to walk around and avoid. lol Stopped eating most candy items after seeing that.

I also remember some of my former students who wouldn't touch food grown in the garden that they helped with because they saw the point where it had dirt on it. Even after it had been thoroughly washed they still had absolutely no interest, but would happily eat from any restaurant/convenience store/fast-food place/street vendors/etc., etc. all day long without even seeing how clean that space, that food, and/or the person preparing it was. lol Different strokes for different folks, indeed.

Fraser_0762
10-03-17, 01:45 PM
Rinse them under the tap (which you should do with all fruit and veg anyway). They will be perfectly fine to eat, as long as they're ripe.

Abi
10-03-17, 01:48 PM
LOL Unsy

We have and ant problem
Sometimes I pass out with a half-drunk glass of Coke on the table.. and wake up to 100 ants scurrying around.

When I have diet Coke, ne'er an ant to be seen.

acdc01
10-04-17, 05:07 AM
I also remember some of my former students who wouldn't touch food grown in the garden that they helped with because they saw the point where it had dirt on it. Even after it had been thoroughly washed they still had absolutely no interest, but would happily eat from any restaurant/convenience store/fast-food place/street vendors/etc., etc. all day long without even seeing how clean that space, that food, and/or the person preparing it was. lol Different strokes for different folks, indeed.

It's just irrational fear at least for me anyway. I know those store bought apples filled with preservatives or with pesticides can't be better for me. But I'm still eating them anyway because the though of accidentally biting into a worm or eating bugs I can visibly see is just too much. Even if cutting up the pieces reduces that chance.

Ridiculous I know. But for me, I've got a million other things to work on so just gonna leave this particular fear unconquered.

Fuzzy12
10-04-17, 06:31 AM
I left them outside in the sun for a few hours and when I returned the bugs were gone. I wiped them.very carefully before bringing them inside. I'm sure there are still some small insects but I think ill have them anyway. There are just a few apples on the tree left and I have to admit I amglad the season is over.

I hate seeing the apples be wasted.they are really good ones too.very form and crunchy. Just how I like them. It is a bit stressful though so like acdc I will be happy to return to my store bought pristine insect free( mostly) pesticide ridden apples. I know it's irrational bit like acdv said it's not worth the stress.

I
Unsi, for fuzzling though I take a lot of ideas from your posts. She doesn't have to follow my crazies. I don't want her to have any silly phobias like me. I was wondering When you do buy fruit and veggies do you buy organic?

I love you guys. It's so nice to have a place where I can ask the most ridiculous and craziest question and still get helpful informative and interesting answers.

Unmanagable
10-04-17, 10:26 AM
I buy organic whenever I can afford it, most especially if it's a fruit or veggie I don't peel to eat. "Ugly tables" (discounted produce) are my friend in the grocery stores, as well as many local farmers who grow stuff organically.

Picky peeps perk my purse right up. lol If something is a bit "too ripe" or damaged, I'll freeze it/juice it/dehydrate it before it has a chance to go totally bad, as I often make my own smoothies, juices, nice cream, soups, veggie broth, etc., so it doesn't go to waste. I even save citrus peels to make cleaners with.

I also shop around for the best prices by quickly checking online sales papers in the produce section (eating mostly fruits and veggies everyday greatly helps lessen the time searching ads, as well as the whole store for stuff....win/win.....zoom in, zoom out....lol) before I venture out. It ends up being the grocery store tour vs. just a grocery store run. Even ordering food at a restaurant is much less stressful now, as there's only one small itty bitty section of the menu I can healthily and happily eat from.

I try to eat seasonally, too, making it a bit easier to shop for stuff that hasn't been picked unripe, heavily marinated in toxicity, then shipped all over the place. I tend to only buy produce/veggies at farmers' markets during the growing seasons, unless we run out of something and need it when the markets are closed. December through April are my least favorite food times, as the choices are slim...except for in my own kitchen where I've preserved goodies of gardens past.

When I can't buy organically, I make sure to soak my produce in vinegar water for at least 20ish minutes and rinse well before using. That supposedly helps remove a bit more of the chemical nasties. I also make it a point to peel what I know for sure has soaked/marinated in the toxicity.

But even organic produce is sprayed with stuff to ship it, so, unless it's been growing in my own yard, or the yard of someone local who I know and trust, it gets soaked and rinsed really well and often peeled before I consume it.

Monox D. I-Fly
10-13-17, 03:45 AM
A good indicator to me about whether I should even be consuming a food is if other living things in "the wild" are willing to consume it, too. I remember seeing a blow pop on the ground, sweetened with either aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, that the ants and other insects made it a point to walk around and avoid. lol Stopped eating most candy items after seeing that.

It reminds me to my Mom who always chooses the vegetables which have caterpillar's bite mark because those marks prove that the vegetables didn't get pesticides.

sarahsweets
10-13-17, 01:44 PM
Insects are good. It means there hasnt been any pesticides.

Luvmybully
10-13-17, 03:20 PM
I am also skeeved put by bugs! Especially bugs near food. But as long as you don't see any holes in the skin, and YES! to cutting it before biting, it will be OK.