View Full Version : Medication questions

andiemarie
10-05-17, 02:51 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum. My 5 (almost 6) year old son was diagnosed about 6 months ago. We have been doing therapy and also started him on biphentin started low dose, now up to 20mg. It seemed to be helping at first, but with the side effects of not eating much and hard time to fall asleep..

We are finding lately that it actually isn't really helping, he's still been very defiant at school (hitting, not listening to his teacher, distracted etc) and then when the meds wear off, he is very emotional and just a mess..

I took him off the meds as he eats, sleeps and is easier to deal with in general. I plan on taking him into the Ped to discuss trying a different dose or medication, as Im thinking that 20mg may be too much for him.

Does anyone have any advice for younger kids and medications?

Thank you, and very grateful to have stumbled upon this message board.

Lunacie
10-05-17, 09:02 PM
You're on the right track talking to the doctor about trying a lower dose again,
since he saw some benefit before the dose was raised.

But I would recommend asking for a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in
kids with adhd and associated disorders. What you describe might be ODD or
simply frustration due to the adhd. A psych would be the best person to figure
that out.

Caco3girl
10-06-17, 09:32 AM
You're on the right track talking to the doctor about trying a lower dose again,
since he saw some benefit before the dose was raised.

But I would recommend asking for a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in
kids with adhd and associated disorders. What you describe might be ODD or
simply frustration due to the adhd. A psych would be the best person to figure
that out.

Excellent advice!

Often times if a kid is ADHD they have another condition. I have said before, based on my own experience, pediatricians aren't the best people for this. They don't spend a lot of time in medical school talking about it, because there is no immediate treatment. You can tell if an infection is getting better, you can tell if a fever is going down, you can tell if you reset the broken bone correctly....getting a child to explain how he feels on and off his medicine is not an easy fix.

andiemarie
10-06-17, 05:50 PM
Thank you both so much for great advice. I really appreciate it!!

My son has been seen by a psychologist who did his assessment. He had just turned 5 when it was done, which is so young, but nevertheless, he was diagnosed with ADHD with ODD...
We are on a wait list for an ADHD clinic in our city at the children's hospital, which I guess takes awhile. We also see a counsellor but will be phasing away from that as she specialized in preschool age children. That was quite helpful, but I feel like we need more of an "expert", such as a psychiatrist/psychologist.

Would a psychiatrist be a better fit than a psychologist? Would a psychiatrist have better insight on medications? I believe psychologst might be more helpful for therapy, but can not prescribe meds.

Thanks again

sarahsweets
10-07-17, 06:25 AM
A psyche would be a much better fit. Is Biphentin like ritalin?

andiemarie
10-07-17, 07:53 PM
Yes, I believe it's a form of ritalin, but slower release... so lasts longer.

Do you mean a psychologisit or psychiatrist? Not sure what psyche means :o

sarahsweets
10-08-17, 07:10 AM
Hello,

I am new to this forum. My 5 (almost 6) year old son was diagnosed about 6 months ago. We have been doing therapy and also started him on biphentin started low dose, now up to 20mg. It seemed to be helping at first, but with the side effects of not eating much and hard time to fall asleep..

We are finding lately that it actually isn't really helping, he's still been very defiant at school (hitting, not listening to his teacher, distracted etc) and then when the meds wear off, he is very emotional and just a mess..

I took him off the meds as he eats, sleeps and is easier to deal with in general. I plan on taking him into the Ped to discuss trying a different dose or medication, as Im thinking that 20mg may be too much for him.

Does anyone have any advice for younger kids and medications?

Thank you, and very grateful to have stumbled upon this message board.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145739

my son is 21 now but this was my story.

Caco3girl
10-09-17, 09:41 AM
My son has both a psychologist and a psychiatrist. The psychologist TALKS TO HIM, they talk about problems, any issues, and helps him think through things in a non-confrontational way. His psychiatrist takes his blood pressure, asks us how the ADHD medicine is working, and writes him a new prescription. We are out in 5 minutes.

sarahsweets
10-10-17, 04:10 AM
I meant a psychiatrist.