View Full Version : Drinking on vacation

Hermus
10-06-17, 02:41 AM
This weekend I am travelling to Berlin for a short vacation after a year of working hard on my recovery and graduating from university. My idea is to do some sightseeing, museums, shopping... and maybe drink a beer or two in the evening. Until now I have been very strict about abstinence, but I have the idea that drinking a beer would be nice for a change and that it will work out if I manage to keep it to vacations only. On the other hand I know a lot of people argue for strict abstinence under all conditions. So I want to be careful with trying this.

Any thoughts on the idea of only drinking on vacations? Anyone tried this? I would love to hear more.

Fuzzy12
10-06-17, 06:37 AM
I used to do it with smoking. I only allowed myself to smoke in holiday. I did this for a 8 year's or so but then after a 3 week holiday and a stressful return I couldn't quit and sent back to full time smoking.

I think it's risky. Also because with alcohol with every pint your inhibitions and decision making power will be lowered. Even if you stick to just one pint it will mean that your will power will get challenged again and you will have to fight the battle again even if it's a small one. In not sure it's worth the pain.

Also you run the risk of your holiday then only becoming about the possibility to drink rather than enjoying the sights.

If you do want to do this I think you need to make very strict specific rules with no room for debate and no leeway whatsoever e.g..

1. I will drink one pint a day and no more under any circumstamces.

2. This will only start once I am in Berlin out of the airport.

3. I will only drink beer.

Have you been to Berlin before? It's amazing. Absolutely fascinating and you can spend days in just one museum. The local beer though is not so great.... :eek:

Hermus
10-06-17, 08:33 AM
I used to do it with smoking. I only allowed myself to smoke in holiday. I did this for a 8 year's or so but then after a 3 week holiday and a stressful return I couldn't quit and sent back to full time smoking.

I think it's risky. Also because with alcohol with every pint your inhibitions and decision making power will be lowered. Even if you stick to just one pint it will mean that your will power will get challenged again and you will have to fight the battle again even if it's a small one. In not sure it's worth the pain.

Also you run the risk of your holiday then only becoming about the possibility to drink rather than enjoying the sights.

If you do want to do this I think you need to make very strict specific rules with no room for debate and no leeway whatsoever e.g..

1. I will drink one pint a day and no more under any circumstamces.

2. This will only start once I am in Berlin out of the airport.

3. I will only drink beer.

Have you been to Berlin before? It's amazing. Absolutely fascinating and you can spend days in just one museum. The local beer though is not so great.... :eek:

Yeah, have been there before and I love it. My favourite city in the world. So much to see and to do. I have been there 4 or 5 times and I think there is still so much to discover.

I think you are right about the alcohol. I always need to be mindful about it, so I would need strict rules for myself. If I would make drink with those rules in the back of my head, I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it I guess. So probably I should just leave it.

Hermus
10-06-17, 12:51 PM
What I actually realized I dread is not knowing what to do in the evenings. Usually if I travel on my own, I don't mind to just sit at a bar, have a few beers and watch people. But sitting at a bar and drinking are not really great options for me right now. I don't want to sit at the hostel all night either. Anyone any ideas?

Fraser_0762
10-06-17, 12:52 PM
Go to the Fußball.:)

Abi
10-06-17, 01:37 PM
Hi Hermus,

I've been very pleased to hear that you've been clean for I believe a number of months, (if not over a year) now.

As an alcoholic as well, I can tell you I have been clean for a number of months at a time, and every time I've done this thing where I say "I don't need it, I'll just enjoy a few beers or some wine with lunch etc. and before you know it I'm binge drinking again.

My advice is not to touch the stuff.

Enjoy your vacation. :)

Hermus
10-06-17, 03:03 PM
Hi Hermus,

I've been very pleased to hear that you've been clean for I believe a number of months, (if not over a year) now.

As an alcoholic as well, I can tell you I have been clean for a number of months at a time, and every time I've done this thing where I say "I don't need it, I'll just enjoy a few beers or some wine with lunch etc. and before you know it I'm binge drinking again.

My advice is not to touch the stuff.

Enjoy your vacation. :)

Yes. It has been one year last week. On Sunday morning I've decided to go to a meeting by Refuge Recovery, a recovery program I'm involved in. In November we will start the first open Dutch meeting. Would love to see how they do things in Berlin.

sarahsweets
10-07-17, 06:38 AM
Hermus you are an alcoholic and a sex addict. Dont throw away all that hard work.