View Full Version : New Movie out about a guy with Tourettes Syndrome

Energizer_Bunny
09-02-03, 09:11 PM
I saw a movie advertisement on TV the other night. The movie will be in theaters on September 12. It stars Nicholas Cage (yummy) and the name of the movie is "Matchstick Man". He plays a con-artist with Tourettes.

I hope that some of you will go and check it out. I know I will and I will probably buy it on DVD when it comes out.

joanrdtobe
09-02-03, 09:29 PM
Energizer: I will go see it....I always look for new movies that come out that are worth seeing...and very few of them are these days....and I do like Nicholas Cage....it will be interesting to see how he handles his character.....:)

Swede
09-18-03, 02:24 PM
I have been wondering just how I would react to this movie. Would I be embarrased, saddened, or even humiliated that I have TS and it effects me this way.

Swede

joanrdtobe
09-18-03, 04:31 PM
Swede: Welcome to the forums...I am glad you are here.....and I'm sure everyone else here at forums shares my sentiments. You are not alone....There is a thread on Tourettes to which you may refer.....

Swede: If you like at any time -- please refer to the introductions thread and tell us a little something about yourself....

Again welcome. Please keep posting and you will get much support.....:)

bratty
10-06-03, 04:01 PM
I watched the movie :D

I really liked/enjoyed it very much. I found it not insulting or demeaning or anything like that in any way. The Tourette's are not, in my belief, payed much attention to, other than he has a change of doctors. OCD is portrayed stronger, though, i think.

Anyway, the plot goes deeper than that, and i really liked it.

Energizer_Bunny
10-19-03, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your input on the movie bratty I have not seen it yet. I have a friend who went and saw it. When she got back, I got lectured. She finds it hard to believe that all of a sudden I have Tourettes, and this she concluded from the movie. But in all honesty, I must say she is ignorant about the disorder.

But I do hope that the movie helps those who know little about the disorder.

jimmmaaa
10-19-03, 10:37 PM
Hey Energizer, I really want to see the movie as well. It looks fascinating. My son could have either Aspergers or Tourettes. We are having him seen at the end of this month for an appoint at a place called the MIND Institute. So hopefully we will get some clarity sometime after that.

But hopefully my wife and I will be able to see the movie before it is gone from the theaters....There is always video, we have 3 kids, so it is hard to get out.

BnB
10-30-03, 01:22 AM
:) Hi,
I sure will look for that movie,....first cause nick baby is soooo cute and secondly cause of the contents.
I saw a Beautiful Mind and thought it was wonderfully portaited (hummm, how is that spelt), LOL. I know 3 people with schizophrenia and I could see parts of them in this move. Seeing things as the character would of was brilliant. A movie well worth seeing again.
Lisa