View Full Version : How to clean...

EYEFORGOT
06-26-05, 09:56 AM
I like all the organizing tips, but I'm curious about the stuff needing a good scrubbing.

My first thing that needs cleaning are my cupboards. I really really really don't want to refinish them or replace the doors. I'm cool with replacing the handles. But the surface is scratched and marked. I've seen wood conditioners/stains that are supposed to mask or restore the wood so that it looks clean and scratchless. They're not exactly gouged scratched, more like skuff marks. I've used Murphy's Oil Soap but that's not doing anything for the scratches.

Isn't there a "Gold....something" product you can use, or one of those stains at the hardware store? Help please.

crime_scene
06-26-05, 11:00 AM
I use this on my dining room table which works pretty well. is this it?

http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/default.cfm

EYEFORGOT
06-26-05, 07:28 PM
That's it! Thanks.

Feel free to continue the thread theme.

meadd823
07-02-05, 08:31 AM
How does one get a mildew smell from a car on the inside.

Got a car from Florida, got it fixed up and stuff. It had some leaks and the inside has a mildew smell, from you know where!!! It wouldn't be quiet as bad if it weren't soooo hot here. I mean it seems like the 100 degree heat makes smells smell more ronchy?????

DaveHawk
07-03-05, 03:22 PM
Meadds, Your not going to like this but, Go to a hunting supply store and buy a bottle of Scent cover, we hunters use it to mask our scent. It work of Dog do and all kinds of smells.

Polishing your tables, Read the lable ! If the product has silicone in it stay away from it. I recament Gaurdsman Furniture polish. Great cleanner and polish, LOng turm polish, Butchers Bowling Alley wax. Use it once every 6 months.

If you want cover ups I have to get back to the shop to get the names of some of the products I could recomend to you.

Remind me.

aneededchange
07-09-05, 04:48 PM
How does one get a mildew smell from a car on the inside.

Got a car from Florida, got it fixed up and stuff. It had some leaks and the inside has a mildew smell, from you know where!!! It wouldn't be quiet as bad if it weren't soooo hot here. I mean it seems like the 100 degree heat makes smells smell more ronchy?????
Well ... this works for me and it is a cheap solution.
Buy some white vinegar from the store, put it in a spray bottle with some water. (I use 35% water to 65% vinegar solution in the bottle) Spray as needed in your car. Vinegar naturally kills/removes mold and mildew. You just have to get used to you car smelling like a salad for a day or so. :eyebrow:

I hope this helped.

- Ane

meadd823
07-09-05, 07:29 PM
Thanks Ane,

I didn’t think about using vinegar in the car for odors, although I have found it useful in removing odors in water bottles; build up in coffee maker, and to remove pet smells. After my house fire in February 2003, several pieces of my clothing had the fire smell even though there was no visual damage. A stout “dose” (like about three cups) of vinegar, and a four-hour soaking removed the odor allowing me to “salvage” 60% of the cloths that didn’t get burned.

I would rather adjust to a “salad smell” than having to be knocked over by the essence of mildew every time I open my car door in the afternoon.

aneededchange
07-11-05, 07:28 PM
Alright ladies, put your thinking caps on.

How do you get candle wax off of a white wall???
I would love some tips/ideas. I rent - so I don't want to tear up my bathroom wall (kitty decided that it would be fun to knock over mommies vanilla scented candle ... he thought wrong).

Help .... please.

:eyebrow: I am sooooooo lost on what to do.

meadd823
07-14-05, 02:07 AM
I thought ice would harden it and it may be could be scrapped of with putty knife or some other dull flat knife type thingie (thingie technical term).

Partner thinks hot water would make it easier to scrap off.

Seems like I read some where where heating stain up and using dry absorbant material to blob up color part, I used windex and my finger nail to get it off our door but my door and walls aint white.

If it is a large stain I would try some of this stuff on a small area. Could you match paint color and paint over area if paint comes off too. Some latex paints can stand a good scrubbing but others like cheap flat paint wash off easier than most dirt or other stains!!!!

aneededchange
07-14-05, 02:16 AM
Thanks .... I will have to try that.

*grins*

Imnapl
07-14-05, 02:24 AM
A Google found this:

Painted Walls: To remove wax from a painted wall or similar surface. First melt the wax with a hairdryer and wipe away the excess.

There may be a greasy mark left. You can remove this by wiping with a weak vinegar solution.

meadd823
07-15-05, 10:54 PM
First melt the wax with a hairdryer and wipe away the excess.

Hey that seems like it might work. A blow dryer!!!! I have such long thick hair and short attention span I do not even own a blow dryer!!!!
I can see how that might help.

As a renter of many a cheep places with children no less. I have frequently found cheap flat paint will wash off with too much ease which is why I recomend trying a small area first!!!!