View Full Version : Can you take ritalin after eating?

murried2
06-29-05, 10:54 AM
Sorry to keep asking so many questions.

Can you take Ritalin after you've eaten? I know that it's best to take it 30-45 mins before eating but I'm wondering what happens if you forget to take it and take it 30-35 mins after eating.

Any experience ?

UnleashTheHound
06-29-05, 11:36 AM
It won't hurt you, but it may not be as effective.

murried2
06-29-05, 12:02 PM
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

FightingBoredom
06-29-05, 12:12 PM
Murried2, Ask ALL of the quesiton you need. This forum is here to ask every question you want.

I have taken it with and without food and don't really notice any difference. Maybe that's because I've been on it for so long.

Since meds affect everyone uniquely, I'd suggest that as you keep your meds diary log the times you take it with food and whether you feel the full effect.

I know that my ADD type and metabolism work better on lots of protein. So, I eat lots of protein and when I say that I eat and take the Ritalin it's typically a protein meal.

I would imagine if the food was high in carbs I would feel less effect.....but that's due to the way my body reacts to carbs more than anything Ritalin fails to do.

LittleD1981
07-05-05, 09:11 PM
My experience has been that it's not as effective if I take it right after eating, or eat right after I take it. I wait either to take it an hour before eating or an hour after and it seems to still work fine.

Imnapl
07-06-05, 12:09 AM
Murried2,

Information varies, depending upon the source. I was originally told to take Ritalin one hour before or thirty minutes after meals. If GI upsets occur, take Ritalin with food.

Probably the best way to find out is to try taking it at different times, with or without food and see what works for you.

LittleD1981
07-06-05, 10:24 AM
BTW Amanda, you have a VERY cute cat! I have 3 myself...hehehe.

murried2
07-06-05, 12:01 PM
Thanks Dana! She's actually 1 of 7 cats. I also have 2 dogs.