View Full Version : Note cards

anonymouslyadd
01-24-18, 01:28 AM
I'm looking for a way to organize and store my note cards so that I can refer back to them quickly. I'm looking for ideas and maybe ways of classifying them, too.

I use note cards when I'm reading, when I hear something profound, or a quote from a great speech. I've found this tactic to be very helpful, with the memory recall issues associated with ADD. They're also easy to carry around. :)

namazu
01-24-18, 05:34 AM
A few questions:

1) Do you use index cards, or are you taking notes on random scraps of paper? (Are they all the same size/east to stack?)

2) Do you prefer having a physical card, or would you be willing/interested in looking at electronic options (either native electronic options, or scanning/photographing the cards)?

3) When you use the cards for reading, is it similar to how you use them in other contexts -- to collect ideas and turns of phrase that you might want to remember and pull out for a speech or comment? Or do you take notes in some other way/for other reasons?

4) What are the difficulties you're having with the current "system" -- are you losing cards, or just can't find the ones you need, or...?

stef
01-24-18, 03:38 PM
If they are index cards i am thinking: some kind of a flat, soft case ( even if thats not its intended use- look at a cosmetics case even, they have stuff thats not girly :)
Get some post it dividers or tabs
Also colored index cards?

anonymouslyadd
01-25-18, 12:38 AM
1) Do you use index cards, or are you taking notes on random scraps of paper? (Are they all the same size/east to stack?)
I use index cards. They are all the same size, and I think that size is 3 x 5.
2) Do you prefer having a physical card, or would you be willing/interested in looking at electronic options (either native electronic options, or scanning/photographing the cards)?
I struggle with this a lot. I have a few inspirational quotes on cards that I've taken a picture of and kept on my iPad. The rest of my cards are just on paper with either a paper clip or rubber band holding them together.
3) When you use the cards for reading, is it similar to how you use them in other contexts -- to collect ideas and turns of phrase that you might want to remember and pull out for a speech or comment? Or do you take notes in some other way/for other reasons?
I'm not sure. Let me think on this and get back to you. :)
4) What are the difficulties you're having with the current "system" -- are you losing cards, or just can't find the ones you need, or...?
Having a proper place for them where they are secure and put away. Right now, I have several piles or groups peppered throughout the house, and this drives me nuts. I'd love to have one place for everything, but I don't know what that place looks like. I want to be able to access it in a quick way. I'm thinking of a box for index cards, but that's way too small.

Fuzzy12
01-25-18, 03:52 AM
If you have just four or five categories you could use one of those hanging wall thingies. I've got no idea what they are called. They've got 4 or 5 pouches to out things like newspapers into them and they hang from the wall so would be very accessible.

Otherwise like Stef said something like a toiletries or cosmetic bag. They often have quite a few compartments.

You get box folders for loose paper.

I guess a stationary shop would have some kind of organiser or organising folder that you could use.

Little Missy
01-25-18, 08:11 AM
Index cards come spiral bound.

sarahsweets
01-26-18, 01:30 PM
I use my handy old school metal index card filing box