View Full Version : New Diagnoses...Neurocognitive disorder

auntchris
07-10-05, 08:21 PM
Hi all, I have been diagnosed with Neuocognitive disorder, does anyone know what this is? I have tried to find some simple understanding information on it, the information I find is above my understanding. Maybe I am not puting in the correct words in google.

I was also diagnose with Anorexia ( in remission) which really shocked me, and also depression which i knew, and borderline which I knew but have a hard time accepting it. I think that is because of the name impling there is something wrong with my personality. What is wrong with it? I think I have a cute personality. So in short here are the diagnoses:

. epilepsy ( have had since I was 9 months old)
dr said that much of what I was telling him were the same characteristics of ADHD and dyslexia, but because I am epileptic the diagnoses takes on a new light.
. Neurocognitive Disorder( has the characteristic as the ADHD and dyslexia, but it is due to my epilepsy.)
. Anorexia ( in remission)
. Borderline Personality
. Major Depression

There it is ....If anyone know where to find information on Neurocognitive disorder due to epilepsy I would appreciate it. Thanks Christine ( auntchris)

dormammau2008
04-16-06, 11:24 PM
HELLO HELEN I HAVE A LOOK 4 YOU AN SEE IF I CAN FIND SOMETHING OUT 4 YOU CAN YOU EXPAINE A BIT MORE TO ME PLASES ON IT JUST TO GIVE ME A BETTER ID THANKS DORM

speedo
04-16-06, 11:44 PM
It looks like the neurocognitive disorder label is used to describe the fact that the condition has a neurological origin. It appears to be a very broad, general term and is apparently a classification more than a diagnostic term.

ME :D

Here is a brief list of DSM IV categories.
http://dpa.state.ky.us/library/manuals/mental/Ch21.html

Hi all, I have been diagnosed with Neuocognitive disorder, does anyone know what this is? I have tried to find some simple understanding information on it, the information I find is above my understanding. Maybe I am not puting in the correct words in google.

I was also diagnose with Anorexia ( in remission) which really shocked me, and also depression which i knew, and borderline which I knew but have a hard time accepting it. I think that is because of the name impling there is something wrong with my personality. What is wrong with it? I think I have a cute personality. So in short here are the diagnoses:

. epilepsy ( have had since I was 9 months old)
dr said that much of what I was telling him were the same characteristics of ADHD and dyslexia, but because I am epileptic the diagnoses takes on a new light.
. Neurocognitive Disorder( has the characteristic as the ADHD and dyslexia, but it is due to my epilepsy.)
. Anorexia ( in remission)
. Borderline Personality
. Major Depression

There it is ....If anyone know where to find information on Neurocognitive disorder due to epilepsy I would appreciate it. Thanks Christine ( auntchris)

barbyma
04-17-06, 03:04 AM
As far as I know, there is no such diagnosis as "neurocognitive disorder" except, as Speedo said, to describe a disorder as "neurocognitive" (which ADHD definitely is). It seems as if your doctor is simply giving a label to cognitive symptoms that are not included in your Axis I diagnoses (ADHD & Anorexia). But, all of your behaviors could be caused by epilepsy at the root.

I have a difficult time buying the BPD diagnosis.

If you have neurological disorders of any kind, they are much more likely to explain your behavior. The guidelines for diagnosing personality disorders dictate that no other explanation is more likely.

Sometimes a diagnosis is more a way to describe behavior than an actual label implying cause. I don't know if your doctor views this particular diagnosis this way or means it literally, but I would definitely get a second opinion about that one if and when you decide to change docs.

QueensU_girl
04-17-06, 04:30 PM
Never heard of it. Don't think it's a DSM diagnosis. Moreso, it sounds like some sort of symptom description, like "FibroFog", or something.

QueensU_girl
04-17-06, 04:31 PM
Borderline Personality disorder can be mislabelled too. ADD's impulsivity can be confused with BPD's impulsivity, which is unfortunate.

speedo
04-17-06, 08:12 PM
The dsm iv lists "mild neurocognitive disorder" under cognitive disorder N.O.S., which is
in section II under Delerium, Dementia, and amnestic and other cognitive disorders.

It is simply a catch-all, a place to stick neurobiological things that don't otherwise fit anywhere else.

ME :D

auntchris
05-05-06, 08:04 PM
Wow, thanak all for your response. I have thought that it was an Overall diagnoses for somthing that could not be explain.
OKay I am epileptic, and there are many learning problem with epilepsy but I do know people who have both and they are not considered to be dx because of the result of another disability.

I have had a learning disabiltity since I was in school and it was acknowledged. I also have been very shy since I was little. People usually think I am extrovert because of how I come across but I am afraid to be in some situations quiet person....even around my family except with the kids my sister children.

The only reason I was dx with BPD was I use to cut late in life. That is in the past now but that is the main reason I was labeled that dx.

Anyways, I returned to therapy ( having problems with getting appt because of my schedule in school. and I have a broken fooot now. ) but the last time I saw dr.Mike i ask him what diagnoses he would give me know and he said ADHD and learning disability.

well i have all the symptom of ADHD and dyslexia. I ahve had reading problems since 1st grade.

JmeB78
10-08-06, 04:53 PM
auntchris,

I have had epilepsy since 4 yrs old. When I was in first grade my teacher was always advising my mom to have me tested. My mom decided to call my neroligest for suggestions. He said that first, the meds that I was on would not allow me to focus, and taking me off the meds to test for adhd would be harmful, and that would be the only way to get an acctual dx. He also said that the brains of a person with epilepsy, and ADD ( at the time that was what it was called ) were similar in alot of cases.

I belive I might have ADD, and dyslixia, but have not been tested. I would like to eventually be tested. Here is why I think I might have them. I have never been able to spell, or read well. I do math in my own little way. I cannot focus on just one thing, and always have to be multitasking. In fact, we moved, and I have to take a driving test again. I know I will fail b/c I have to have the radio on in the background to drive, but am not allowed to do so in the test. I have been wondering lately if the problems I have are due to the epilepsy, and maybe the meds I have taken for it. I think you might want to see a neroligest for a second oppinion, if you haven't already.

Take care, Jamie

auntchris
03-31-07, 06:20 PM
auntchris,

I have had epilepsy since 4 yrs old. When I was in first grade my teacher was always advising my mom to have me tested. My mom decided to call my neroligest for suggestions. He said that first, the meds that I was on would not allow me to focus, and taking me off the meds to test for adhd would be harmful, and that would be the only way to get an acctual dx. He also said that the brains of a person with epilepsy, and ADD ( at the time that was what it was called ) were similar in alot of cases.

I belive I might have ADD, and dyslixia, but have not been tested. I would like to eventually be tested. Here is why I think I might have them. I have never been able to spell, or read well. I do math in my own little way. I cannot focus on just one thing, and always have to be multitasking. In fact, we moved, and I have to take a driving test again. I know I will fail b/c I have to have the radio on in the background to drive, but am not allowed to do so in the test. I have been wondering lately if the problems I have are due to the epilepsy, and maybe the meds I have taken for it. I think you might want to see a neroligest for a second oppinion, if you haven't already.

Take care, Jamie

HI jamie, I feel like I have ADHD and dyslexia too, you should see the post before I correct it. I have been epileptic since birth.

I never learnt how to drive

I was told I have a learning disability.

ARe you ADD? do you know?