View Full Version : How is *your* cleaning going?

aneededchange
07-12-05, 07:08 PM
I would love to say "well" ... but then I would be lying. :o

I have been bouncing back and forth between picking up clothes in the bedroom, to scanning the forums, to dusting, to searching the web, to ... you get the idea
.... so I guess it can't be all that horrible. :D

Who else here is as distractable as me?

:eyebrow:

minn306
07-12-05, 08:01 PM
I am actually starting to feel good about the cleaning that I have been doing. For years my husband has been after me to go through ALL the rubber maid tubs that has the kids "to small" clothes in it. This week I have started to go through those tubs & have already emptied 5 tubs!!
I also redid my kitchen with different curtains and some decorations...... to make my already to small kitchen look a little bigger & a little less cluttered.

aneededchange
07-12-05, 08:02 PM
I am actually starting to feel good about the cleaning that I have been doing. For years my husband has been after me to go through ALL the rubber maid tubs that has the kids "to small" clothes in it. This week I have started to go through those tubs & have already emptied 5!!
I also redid my kitchen with different curtains and some decorations...... to make my already to small kitchen look a little bigger & a little less cluttered.
**claps for Minnie-min**

Glad for you darling .... but quit showing me up! heheh
j/k

minn306
07-12-05, 08:04 PM
**claps for Minnie-min**

Glad for you darling .... but quit showing me up! heheh
j/k
oh sweetie, you do not have to worry about me showing anybody up. I have a LONG way to go to get this house in better shape!!

aneededchange
07-12-05, 08:07 PM
oh sweetie, you do not have to worry about me showing anybody up. I have a LONG way to go to get this house in better shape!!
:rolleyes:
You should of had the "too cute" Moderator title!!!

You are such a sweetie.

Scatterbrainz
08-10-05, 08:58 PM
My cleaning isn't done at all, ever........................I do bits and pieces,just because my support person is right there. but then, i get distracted, and I'm off doing something else and bopping thru many other things myself like reading, journaling, walking outside, goofing off with my boyfriend, watching tv, eating butter pecan ice cream and anything else in creation other then that. and smoking and even leaving and coming back. It is a neverending task almost literally in which I never finish. When people come over to my place, everything just gets shoved in the closets and drawers in a last minute hurry. Who would look there? :p Its a quick fix in a precarious situation such as that.......:cool:

crime_scene
08-10-05, 09:01 PM
I loathe cleaning, but I attribute it to my feminist leanings.

Anyway, isnt' it more important to have 1 room tidy like the living room?

Yes, I agree!

Scatterbrainz
08-10-05, 09:05 PM

Yes, I agree!
My philosophy exact crime!!!!! :)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

herekittykitty
08-10-05, 09:32 PM
It's baaaaaaaaaad at my house. Read and weep!!

I live in a tiny studio apt, and have several "hot zones" where stuff piles up. The kitchen sink, where I've got this nifty science experiment going on (and don't things, errr, ripen quickly in the summer?!), my couch, and my kitchen table.

Oh yes, then there's 'dirty laundry mountain' next to/beside/inside the washer and dryer, and 'pile of assorted cosmetics' nestled at the foot of laundry mountain. 'Suitcase from business trip containing more forgotten dirty laundry' rolls around near my bed, and 'blanket from beach trip that needs to be drycleaned' hangs out on my small balcony.

Oops! the balcony is home to 'cat carriers that don't fit inside my apartment,' 'wakeboard that I'm scared to use since that unfortunate accident 3 years ago,' assorted tin cans and newspapers that I keep forgetting to put out on the right garbage collection day, and a cardboard box of stuff that I tossed out there because I got sick of trying to figure out a place for it so just gave up.

And the piece de resistance: ice-cube tray that I purchased to collect the dripping water from my air conditioning unit that drips constantly. The pipe is only 2 inches from the floor, so I can't get a bucket under there. Of course, the ice cube tray fills up quickly, and I forget to empty it, so it really serves no purpose but to kick up my home's white trash atmosphere another notch.

So...about time for another game of FreeCell, I'd say!

auntchris
08-11-05, 01:59 AM
Okay here we go. I have let this small apt go and now I have to get things ready before I start college August 29th. Nothing is as bad as being distracted and procrasting except disorganisation. I have alway ( accept my teen yrs) been neat when it came to my apt. but now I dont know what happened; maybe I am using my ADHD symptoms as an excuse and not taking care of myself first before anyone else. Yeah, that has to be it. It just seems like the day goes by so fast and before I know it it is time for bed. Today I moved the furniture the ones that move easily like the sofa and went through the papers on my desk and threw others out and fiiled others away. The living room or should i say the family room cause everything in it deals with a family if I had one, well it looks better. Tomorrow i will takle the kitchenette and bedroom. I did that a couple weeks ago Minn. I went through my closet and had 2 large yard bag of clothes to give away. everything that was big and baggie went. Also things i dont wear went too. Well that is my testomonial about cleaning. My advise is take one section of a room and deal with it. I have to go through the front closet and tidy it up. Well that is all i am rambling on and on

meadd823
08-15-05, 12:37 AM
I have been bouncing back and forth between picking up clothes in the bedroom, to scanning the forums, to dusting, to searching the web, to ... you get the idea

me me I am exactly the same way!!!!!! ;)

I may have internet on for four hours but usually I am off doing stuff at least one of the hours.

I read a thread here, my butt gets tired I have run out of positions to be comfortable in so I get up put a load of laundry in washer. Post reply to thread read another thread maybe post reply pop up another areas my butt gets tired again I wiggle read wiggle get up do a chore for 15-20 minutes then back again!!!!!!

While I am reading post and such I am listening to music, or TV if gary is home. I have learned to hold small cell phone on shoulder so I can talk on phone and type using both hands, I need portable screen that attaches to my forhead so I can read computer screen and wash dishes at the same time!!! :D

livinginchaos
08-15-05, 12:45 AM
I loathe cleaning, but I attribute it to my feminist leanings.

Yes, I agree!
I'm so with you, Liz.

My problem is that I live in a studio apartment. People who are messy, cluttery should NEVER live in a studio apt. It just doesn't work.

It's hard to clean after a really long day at work, then to have to study . . . etc.

I should have cleaned this weekend, since it was my last weekend to clean before a weekend away and class starts.

Oh well! Such is life!! :D

meadd823
08-16-05, 12:25 AM
People who are messy, cluttery should NEVER live in a studio apt. It just doesn't work.

I wish I could draw you a picture of wht type of scense this post put inside my head. the sight resembling that of on obstical coarse!!!!!

aneededchange
11-27-05, 03:00 AM
Argh .... why does my home ALWAYS get so cluttered and messy??

I wonder how I can get so much junk in one small space when I just got done purging 80% of stuff.

*sighs*
I hate cleaning - but it HAS to get done tomorrow.
Will someone come and help? :o

- Ane

jlo21
11-27-05, 04:45 AM
Hi all,
I finally cleaned the lounge and kitchen/dining room today! with the help of my partner of course! untill next time it gets messy! like Auntchris said one room at a time. the big one is my room! cant see the floor at the moment, i have a habit of leaving my clothes right where i take them off!!! anyways theres always another day!

Dixie_Amazon
11-27-05, 09:22 AM
I finish a task and then I get to check the boards. I also make a list of what I have done.

aneededchange
11-27-05, 12:52 PM
the big one is my room! cant see the floor at the moment, i have a habit of leaving my clothes right where i take them off!!!
I am sooooooooo very guilty of that. *snickers* But then again - so is my beloved fiance. It sure is fun when BOTH are ADD/ADHD. :D Trying to get him roped in to help is like pulling teeth from a fully awake adult great white. :faint:

I made my coffee - so I am already doing good.

And I agree Dixie - that is the only way to do things. I *have* to make a list.

I will get started shortly ..........

barbyma
11-27-05, 03:27 PM
My cleaning's going great!

1) We pay someone to come in once every two weeks and do a thorough job.

2) My husband now does the majority of the dishes (got tired of waiting for me to do them)

3) The kids are old enough to be held responsible for their own clean-up

4) My husband has given up on my "stacks" and is only upset if I let it go for more than 6 months without a thorough organize-a-thon or if I let our guests see how bad it is...

5) I've just enough discipline to get the laundry done if I use a timer to remind me to change loads (the dryer's buzzer is not loud enough).

whiteraven
11-27-05, 03:53 PM
ane, I'll come and help! I love helping others clean, it's my own stuff I hate tidying... :rolleyes:

I bit the bullet and have someone come in and vacumn/dust/do bathrooms/kitchen. I used to hate the idea of someone else coming into my space, but I just don't care anymore, I just want it DONE. Husband takes his laundry, kid laundry and household stuff to laundromat. I do my own, because I want to. They hate doing theirs, so, they worked out a solution on their own... Not my choice, but it works for them.

Now some of the stuff I always put off is happening because I have this whole block of time that I never had before. I like it.
We stll get cluttered, and messy and have too many projects going, but that's who we are. I try to just deal with my own stuff and remind my other family members to deal with theirs. It is different than I thought it would be, but it actually works. I think because we are each solving our cleaning/tidying issues in our own way. I'm hoping it lasts...

(fingers crossed):D

meadd823
12-02-05, 10:58 PM
Hey I de-cluttered my computer desk, and found the two CD covers I lost last week. Now where are the CD's????? I put up so they wouldn't get lost or scratched???? Hmmm that could be??????

Any way I can now SEE the top of my desk. I got the kitchen table clean enough to realized I need I new table cloth!!!!!!

Vacuumed the living room, and bedroom, sucked spiders out of the corners, and got that sticky spot off the kitchen floor from last weeks coffee maker miss hap....Gary forgot to put the pot under the brewer before pressing "on". Mr I aint got no AD/HD cleaned most of his mess but forgot the area between the shelf and floor.

reh3
12-08-05, 11:11 AM
I am also very succeptable to getting to a severve impass when trying to clean my home/office. Moving into my own place completely placed the sole responsibility for cleanliness on myself, and you do what ya gotta do.

I've noticed that sicne I've been on Strattera, I get a little boost that helps me go from thinking I need to clean, to knowing I have to clean, to actually cleaning...instead of just sitting there thinking about it.

Other tips that help me clean...I'llcrank my stero up and go through some good rockin CDs and turn the cleaning session into a "karaoke cleaning session,"

I will also keep multiple cleaning objectives going at the same time, that way if I get bored with one or another, I just move on to the next. Also, working on several cleaning projects in various rooms of the house help feed my desire to pace around my house incesently. I'll go from laundry, to scrubbing the kitchen floor, to dusting, and back again.

Talking on the phone to a friend while I clean also seems to work miracles. I've scrubbed my entire tile floor before while chatting on the phone without even realizing it....(it was a good conversation.)

Also, I have been playing online games for a very long time, and finding a game that allows you to walk away and come back to helps break the monotony of cleaning. I've recently started playing EVE online, and enjoy the fact that you can set things up in the game, like mining an asteroid in your space ship, and then walk away for 30 min and do something else. This helps give me something to do briefly between cleaning sessions.

Well I've noticed that doing something else while cleaning helps me get through the cleaning part better than if I just focus on cleaning.

amom2go2004
12-09-05, 12:17 AM
reh3 said:

I will also keep multiple cleaning objectives going at the same time, that way if I get bored with one or another, I just move on to the next. Also, working on several cleaning projects in various rooms of the house help feed my desire to pace around my house incesently. I'll go from laundry, to scrubbing the kitchen floor, to dusting, and back again.

That is MOI EXACTLY! I also never feel DONE. I feel very uptight and moody if clutter is around me, but as many have posted, I have a difficult time with my own things . I am always after my kids to clean their rooms and will clean their rooms MYSELF etc, with no problem....just don't ask me to feel the same about my own. I always get overwhelmed with my own and take too many breaks when doing it. Again, the frustration of having the desire and KNOW HOW to be organized and never being able to achieve it. UGH!

meadd823
12-13-05, 12:08 PM
amom I like your avatar.

I need to get laundary out of the washer and onto the line I managed to get out of bed early enough to get it out before it is to rain this evening but what am I doing writting about hanging clothes out instead of going to the machine and actualy getting them in a basket!!!!!!

We need disposble clothes you know wear once and throw away espcially socks...I hate washing socks!!!!!

barbyma
12-13-05, 02:17 PM
We need disposble clothes you know wear once and throw away espcially socks...I hate washing socks!!!!!
I don't mind washing them, but I NEVER sort them!

We have a basket where all the clean socks go and we're CONSTANTLY digging in there. Sorting socks for a family of 4 is a 2-3 hour job!

LittleD1981
12-13-05, 06:34 PM
My cleaning is going horribly. I have dirty pots and pans from a month ago, clothes that need to be folded from at least two months ago, a litter box that hasn't been cleaned in over a week, a bathroom floor that hasn't been scrubbed since the spring. It's a nightmare. Once I get started on something, it's not so bad. But my problem lies in the actually getting started. I tend to overestimate how long something is going to take, and thus put it off because "it's going to take too long" or "I just don't feel like it" or "I can do it later", etc. I went on vacation with my aunt at the end of October and she is a real neat freak, so I HAD to have my apt. clean when she came over. Of course I waited until the absolute last minute to get anything done. I didn't sleep the whole night before, but I didn't clean...I just sat there worrying about all the cleaning I had to do, yet not doing anything about it. In the end, I ended up vacuuming super quick before she got here, put some dishes away, and took out some trash (2 bags just got thrown onto the balcony...lol...lo and behold, they're still there) that had been in my house for 3 weeks. I was completely exhausted that whole day from my not sleeping.

Anyway, what I've found that helps me is I get together with a friend online and we'll chat, then go clean for 20-30 minutes, then come back and break and chat again, then go clean again, etc. We'll do a couple rounds of that, and that really helps me. I don't feel all alone, like I'm the only one in the world cleaning. She hasn't been online lately, though, so my apt. is really a dump. If anyone is ever interested in doing that sometime, just IM me at domalskid on Yahoo Instant Messenger or at dadomals on AOL. Just say you're from the board and would like to clean with me. I would love it! :D

meadd823
12-14-05, 03:12 AM
I don't mind washing them, but I NEVER sort them!

OHhhh I don't sort socks it is against my religion!!!!

After I take my socks off I fold them together before I put them in the laundry basket. Before I chunk them in the machine I pin them together (at the reinforced toes) using those craft pins that don't have the loops at the end.

The socks remain pinned together through the wash and I just sling them over the clothes line to dry. They will stay pinned through a dryer but they can get hot to the touch if pulled out when dryer first stops.

Any way all I do to put them away is un-pin and fold. I usually have to pin bottle next to me to throw pin in right after it comes off. I am so bad I actually usually sit on the edge of the bed in front of the sock drawer and throw the socks in as I un-pin and fold!!!

I still hate doing socks but did mange to get them on the clothes line then off again in one day. Presently, they are awaiting placement in drawer or on feet which ever comes first!!!!

Braack
12-14-05, 03:14 AM
*cough* I leave it to my wife *cough* She doesn't have ADD =)
But, I do the laundry...takes a while to get it completed but eventually it gets done.

barbyma
12-14-05, 05:31 PM
After I take my socks off I fold them together before I put them in the laundry basket. Before I chunk them in the machine I pin them together (at the reinforced toes) using those craft pins that don't have the loops at the end.
Great idea, but how could I possibly get the boys to do it? My hubby won't even pull his sleeves right-side-out, much less his socks, much less PIN them!

meadd823
12-24-05, 10:22 AM
boys to do it? My hubby won't even pull his sleeves right-side-out, much less his socks, much less PIN them!

Gary doesn't pin them overly regularly either but he folds them together at the top and places in basket...you know they way sock are folded when they get put way..

I do not know how old your boys are but have an idea you DH is old enough to grasp concept...

Gary resisted I have a rule when it comes to socks. I do NOT match my OWN therefore I refuse to match any one's over the age of eight.

Gary put his socks into the basket in a clump that is exactly how I returned them...they were clean yes matched no!!! When he protested I reminded him about my no matching socks religion!!!!! All he has to do is remove socks from feet and fold together, and place in basket. if he can't do that then I can't match them...

he tried the "it doesn't matter my socks are all the same any way",,,he is way to ADD not to notice when one sock is longer than the other..

.he has done the matching socks is easy I don't know why you protest...I encouraged him to show me exactly how easy matching socks is by doing his own!!!!

Two loads of clean sock lumps and problem solved...I would do the shirt sleeves the same way...adult male clothing is returned in same manner it is placed in hamper with the exception of cleanliness!!! Oh yea no clothes in hamper no clean cloths I absolutely refuse to LOOK for clothes to wash. I will kick their dirty clothes under the bed first!!!!!

Gary helps me pin them some times, I will pin a couple of pair here and there just to keep from having to do them all at once. Gary places his dirty clothes folded on top of machine next to dirty clothes baskets.

I place dirty clothes into basket according to color so I do not have to sort and separate either. Once a colored coded basket is full I dump into washer no brains required only detergent!!! Gary no savay the color thing no matter how many pink under ware he owns, so I will throw his clothes into correct basket when I do my own.!!!!!

I am such a joy to live with can ya tell!!!!! I don't match socks..haven't in ten years!!!!

PS I sit with pin bottle in front of sock drawer,,,un-pin (put pin in pin-bottle/old prescription bottle) fold tops together and chunk immediately in drawer. If I donít do all the folding a putting away at one time some thing some where wonít happen!!!

barbyma
12-24-05, 04:29 PM
I do not know how old your boys are but have an idea you DH is old enough to grasp concept...

5 & 8, the 8yo is ADD. I can't even get them to put their socks in the hamper!!!! Hubby just doesn't care enough. Maybe if I could convince him it would rid us of the huge pile of unmatched socks that lives in a basket in our bedroom, I could get him to do it.

Gary put his socks into the basket in a clump that is exactly how I returned them...they were clean yes matched no!!!
That might work! Of course, I then have to separate them....

I place dirty clothes into basket according to color so I do not have to sort and separate either.
Me, too! DH feigns ignorance (as I find men typically do), but he manages to get them somewhat in the right bin.