View Full Version : Another Ranting, Overwieght ADDer

Pigeon
07-13-05, 04:24 PM
I know, I know. I'm probably not as overwieght as I think I am. I'm pretty in my own way, ect, ect. But who knows I just have to get this out. I am so uncomfortable in my skin. I don't fit right into clothes, I have to special order my bras, not to mention there is nothing "cool" or "hip" or "20ish" in plus sizes, that's affordable for 20 yr olds!!! What is wrong with this picture? Is it me? I'm not huge or anything, I'm only a little overwieght, so why do I feel like I'm surrounded by perfect or overly skinny people?

Ok down to the knitty gritty... how do you get over the food cravings? I know what foods are bad for me and good for me. I am doing very well at choosing. I don't always choose the "best" but at least the "better". And I know when to eat, when I'm hungry, when I'm full, ect. I've got the magazines, I follow them. I try to exercise, I admit I don't do it the best, but I try. But my one downfall is that I still WANT to eat the not so good foods. Is there anyway someone can help with this? Just because I don't, doesn't make it better, I become cranky.

I drink water all the time... I think I have an oral fixation. I smoked, and quit. Before I smoked I bite my lip, now I am again. I play with my touge too. Drinking water all day helps but I run out a lot. I go though a waterbottle in a half hour. I can't stand chewing gum or sucking on candy because I don't like the feeling they leave on my teeth (as mentioned in another post I am border ocd with teeth brushing). So I don't know if it's all related or not.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm expecting from this post, I just thought I'd throw it out there and see what I got.

:soapbox: Pigeon

Stephanie
07-13-05, 04:34 PM
I have been on a diet for more than 20 years now. :o Not really, but I have been watching my size ever since. I gain loads due to depression-medication. Now I just dropped 35 pounds.

What helped me:
- I am running 3 times a week for an hour. It makes me feel good and it burns calories.
- I am using the Weight Watchers system. I don't go to their meetings, but I am counting the points. I can eat the kinds of food I want - just less.
- and most: I am in competition with my sister-in-law. This helped me most. We run together and talk about our success and share when the scale is being *****y.

Pigeon
07-15-05, 06:44 PM
Thank you for your comment, Stephanie, it is great inspiration. I am active and it is easier now that I am properly medicated. But the food part is the hard part...

One of my major problems is I love to cook. I don't have to eat a lot of it, just a little taste usually does me good. But I love to cook. But there's that thought "stuck" in my mind from when I was younger about finishing my plate, cuz other people are starving somewhere else. It's so hard for me to leave food on the plate. I feel guilty if I leave/throw it, but then I feel guilty I ate it too. Anyone else? And the wierd part is, if it's a salad, I've got no prob feeling guilty about finishing it, even if I'm full... even though I know all the tips and trades of wieght loss doesn't help the emotional aspect of eating. And I"m not talking eating to feel good... after math/guilt/guilt of throwing it out, ect. Any thoughts appreciated.

FightingBoredom
07-15-05, 06:52 PM
Pigeon,

Chew sugar free gum for your oral fixation.

Read the book: Eat Right for your Blood Type.
The first step, IME, is to start by eating foods that increase your metabolism and avoid eating those foods that cause you weight gain.

This book will help you figure out what those are.

Most ADD'ers benefit mentally from diets high in protein.

I know, I'm not explaining why any of this works...just look into it.

adhdxyz
07-19-05, 08:41 AM
I am 43 and have a low body image. Since starting Adderall in March, I have gone from a size 16 jeans to a 14. I still am uncomfortable wearing shorts in public. I go tanning because I feel skinnier when tan. I have also been on Atkins for quite a while. I constantly get compliments but I still feel fat.

My daughter also has a low body image. She is 14, tall, thin, blonde, majorly cute and could be a model. She hates not having boobs. She is adhd but not yet medicated. Her friends all tell her constantly that they wish they were as tall as her, or as cute or as thin.

My son is 12, adhd, medicated since 3 years old and also has a low body image. He thinks he's fat even though he's not. He does have a little extra in the stomach area. He takes Respirdal which causes weight gain in him. His doctor suggested sit ups. I had to get my son out of taking PE class last year because he was embarrased to change clothes because he feels fat. I have been telling him that it is in his head.

What finally worked was that he met this one kid a few weeks ago that has been coming over to our house to swim. He is chunky. My son feels skinny when he's around. AND 2 boys just moved in across the street. One is 9 and the other is 11 and they are short and VERY round. When they go swimming with my son, my son is on cloud nine.

We have talked about it and I think he finally realizes that he really isn't fat. We'll see. He still hasn't revealed himself at the public pool 2 streets up yet.

Hopefully I will feel better too about myself. When I was at Walmart last night, as I looked at everyone I passed (it's an adhd thing), almost everybody I saw was overweight. I actually felt OK. But then again, I don't live or work at Walmart. Maybe I should.....

Stephanie
07-21-05, 02:38 PM
I know the "finish your plate" thing quite well. Well, my plates got smaller. :D We used to have these huge plates for dinner, where you can put the meal for two on one plate. So if you would eat little, it looked somehow stupid. Now we use our "breakfast plates" for dinner as well. It's fine if my husband or the kids take two or three times. It helps me! My plate is full - really full!! But it is still not much on it.

Pigeon
07-21-05, 02:43 PM
I know the "finish your plate" thing quite well. Well, my plates got smaller. :D We used to have these huge plates for dinner, where you can put the meal for two on one plate. So if you would eat little, it looked somehow stupid. Now we use our "breakfast plates" for dinner as well. It's fine if my husband or the kids take two or three times. It helps me! My plate is full - really full!! But it is still not much on it.
What an excellent idea!!! Thank you so much for sharing, I will def have to try this one. It is still hard for me because I live at home, and eat with the family (don't get me wrong -- I LOVE family meals). Now when we set table I will put the lunch plate at my spot instead of the dinner plate... thank you, thank you, thank you :D

Hudson85255
06-09-06, 10:04 PM
Hi.

I had a bit of this sort of problem. First I tried Weight WAtchers online, and it was great.
later when the problem started to rear its head again I happened to be diagnosed with ADHD and the doctor recommended Wellbutrin.
It got rid of 8 pounds in 8 days. Wow. I am plateau-ing with a 10-pound loss right now.
It controls appetite and subdues the desire for alcohol (I am not a big drinker but even a beer or wine - as I am small - would puot on the pounds). It is also used, as you probably know, for nicotine-cravings (called Zyban in that case).
Why not ask your GP?
I may go off the Wellbutrin soon, for various reasons, but I am happy that it rid me of 10 pounds. I just didn't feel like eating or even finishing a beer.
No harm done.
Best of luck.
Hudson

QueensU_girl
06-11-06, 08:51 AM
re: Overweight

What is your BMI (body mass index)?

If it is over 25, Do you have Sleep Apnea?

This can cause problems with GHRELIN and LEPTIN levels. Sleep Apnea is a big problem in helping make people overweight (and increasing weight gain). These chemicals SERIOUSLY increase Appetite.

Also, Sleep Apnea can contribute to (or cause) ADHD Symptoms in some people. Many ADHDers have a Sleep Disorder of one type or another. (eg. phase forward sleep advance; apnea; RLS; PLMs, etc)

Once sleep disorder-aggravated weight gain gets going, the weight gain is hard to stop without interventions, like CPAP.

I was glad to have my own Sleep Apnea and RLS discovered. (A lot goes on in our Sleep that we do not Know About.) I had it with a BMI of 27.

Talk to your doctor.

~boots~
06-11-06, 09:35 AM
I have actually gained a few kilos sonce starting dex...I think it is because I am not constantly moving!! I used to walk after work, and get up and down all night..now I am big lazy relaxed and calm..
I always imagined people on Dex would be running all over the joint from the stimulant effect LOL...I have the opposite effect with it

dormammau2008
07-01-06, 07:44 PM
;.))) gained 9bles in 3weeks ahhhhhhhh dorm

mariannabanana
08-10-06, 08:08 AM
First of all HELLO :D

Im VERY low on body image, i remember ALWAYS having this from the age i could see myself in the mirror and know what fat is lol!i even thought i was actually deformed when i was younger lol, im not im fine people compliment me and i think they are lying,teh truth is people dont bother complimenting you if they want to lie!

last year i was a size 16, this year im a 12 and guess what......no change, iv still got low confidence in my body image however its got a bit better with the love and understanding of my current boyfriend!

lol the comment about finishing your plate, i know it seems impossible to not finish it no matter how big it is, its like a constant nag that wont stop till its finihsed! basically make food so that you can finish it all, make the portions smaller for example!

oh and i know what you mean, im obsessed with food i think and cooking its ok though, cooking is very good just learn new techniques you can cook and eat really nice tasty recipies theres all sorts of help on the web. like grilling instead of frying we have all heard it add spices make it tasty! sounds like im lying but healthy foods are deliciouse as long as you cook it with nice herbs and spices and marinades like chicken with lme, garlic and chillie, lovely!

and i also swim twice a week now too, its fun and you dont even realize you are exercising!

so i hope iv helped combat your three main worried :)

~Maz

mariannabanana
08-10-06, 08:16 AM
oh and the advice from the clever lady Queensu girl, seriously consider Sleep Apnea if you have funny sleeping patterns, do you wake up constantly? gasp for breath sometimes? feel tired in the day?lol iv been so tired id fall asleep halfway through a sentence when replying to a question lol! it seems that i have this and my appitite for food is high! i went on holiday to greece and gained A STONE lol!

but im proof that it can be maintained, also i know how tempting it is when your out shopping but if you just dont buy the 'naughty' foods then when your at home your not tempted by them because they arnt even there and treat yourself to them at the weekend or on a friday make it a treat! i was eating crisps and chocolatte everyday out of routine, i think i even became addicted to crisps i try not even to touch them now because i can never get enough of them i just dont buy them anymore!

dormammau2008
08-11-06, 08:30 AM
good point on sleep apenea banana its allways good to chat with doc an see if tests would revile anything crips what kind banana >>got me thinking now ohhh good luck queengril dorm

Veighen
08-11-06, 08:52 AM
Its really a shame how many people suffer from low body image, or self esteem.
I have always suffered from this, thinking I am too fat all the time.

Even though I am according to all the scales,graphs, calculations etc... slightly underweight for my height - normal range.

I will never lose this feeling, but what helps.. is knowing that I am eating properly.

Your body needs to have a basic calories amount daily, just so your organs can function properly, then depending on your activity level, you need additional calories to support that.

You should never go on a diet, because, diets dont work. They do, but only for the short term.
You need to re-think healthy eating as part of your every day life. IF you do this it wont feel so much like work, just to lose those excess fatty deposits.

You also dont need to excersise like mad, just some light - moderate cardio 2-3 times per week. You can get this by simply parking your car farther away from the stores, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and/or walking to a nearby store instead of driving.

Re-thinking your eating habits, should start with a journal of daily eating habits. That way you can recognize....
-Calories missed
-Calories in excess
-trouble foods
-Foods or food groups that are missing.

You have read all the magazines, and I have probably just repeated much of what you have read already, but these things really do work.

You body is craving bad foods possibly , because,
-it is not reaching calorie requirements.
-you are not eating enough protein, veggies, fruits(stabilizing foods, that keep you feeling full longer, and highly nutritious)
-you may be choosing simple carbohydrates(which can lead to diabetes) instead of complex carbs(whole wheat breads, rice, pasta)
-too much sugar in the diet (pop, chocolate, cookies)
when they body has too much sugar, the body will crave more sugar just to stabilize it when the sugar level becomes low.
-If the body is missing key vitamins, and minerals, cravings will occur (ever eat matches as a child and wonder why?)
-Reduce stress

Balance is key. You can have your sweets etc, but only in moderation.

I hope I helped.. I might of went off a little bit there....
Good luck!

p.s dont let the media, etc determine what is the way someone should look.
Stick thin, doesnt mean healthy. Health is about being happy with yourself, the way you are, and happy with what you are capable of achieving.

Aizlyne
08-11-06, 10:08 AM
given my hieght and weight I am about 30 pounds too heavy. I have a hard time eating well, not because I don't want to (I LOVE fruits and vegitables) the problem is more financial,

I"m a college student and even thouhg my parents help with rent, I have to use the money i earn from work to buy my own groceries. I earn enough, but I can only afford so much produce at once. I try to get a good variety every tmie I go to the store but it never seens to last me very long and then I"m back to eating what me and my roomates call "Lazy food" which is pasta and rice.

I don't have trouble with sweets like candy or cookies. I never seemed to have much desire for them. I enjoy them but I don't eat them very often. I do like icecream and pastries though, so combime that with the pasta and that's where the weight comes from. Although, I don't eat those very often either(the pastries...I eat a lot of pasta). I"ve started taking 45min to an hour walks every day, and I walk to my work as well.

I"m not too good at setting up regiments so I"m starting small. To the best of my knowledge I havn't lost any weight, but then again I havn't gained any either (knock on wood)

Is it possible that even thoguh I may be technically overweight, that this is the weight I"m supposed to be? The lightest I have been in the last few years is 175. The heaviest is 190. Right now I"m at 180.

Veighen
08-11-06, 10:26 AM
I have read that there are certain body shapes and sizes that are just genetically pre-determined to maintain a specific weight.

It may be very likely that you are at the weight genetically pre-determined.

Weight, shouldnt matter as much as the media/influences/advertising proclaims it to be. Health is ten times more important.

Excess weight only becomes a factor when, the weight may lead to future health problems. Has your doctor told you that you need to lose weight?
If not, then as long as you are comfortable, I wouldnt worry about it.

College food I understand can be a huge challenge, you are stressed with school, friends, being away from home etc.. it can be very hard to above all that, worry about what you are eating.

I would just concentrate on making sure just not to eat bad things when you have the option to eat healthy, and again just try to make sure you meet all the vitamin/mineral/anti-oxidants that your body really benefits from.
A 45min - hour walk is awesome. Very good for you.

As for pasta.. you could try switching to a whole wheat pasta( will fill you up for longer, and lessen the highs and lows)

You could also substitute some pasta for brown rice. Do you have freezers? you could buy some frozen veggies.....try to steer clear from canned fruits and veggies, they are loaded with salt.

Quinoa is an awesome grain alternative, you just boil it on the stove(do you have a stove?) you may be able to micorwave it in some water,... not sure though.

Quinoa is highly nutritious, and one of the least processed grain alternative out there. It has a slightly nutty flavour(although I hate nuts, and I cant taste any nuts) and is nice, light, but filling.

How much protein can you manage to eat throughout the week? Protein is great for uping your metabolism, prolonging energy levels, and keeping you feeling satisfied.

Aslo, make sure to eat a good breakfast. Your metabolism does not begin to start for the day, untill you have eaten something. Eating first thing in the morning(esp. protein, is you can) is a great way to kick start your body.

Sounds like you are doing awesome, you know your trouble spots, and that in its self is half the battle!
Good luck!

Aizlyne
08-11-06, 10:48 AM
I have read that there are certain body shapes and sizes that are just genetically pre-determined to maintain a specific weight.

It may be very likely that you are at the weight genetically pre-determined.

Weight, shouldnt matter as much as the media/influences/advertising proclaims it to be. Health is ten times more important.

Excess weight only becomes a factor when, the weight may lead to future health problems. Has your doctor told you that you need to lose weight?
If not, then as long as you are comfortable, I wouldnt worry about it.

College food I understand can be a huge challenge, you are stressed with school, friends, being away from home etc.. it can be very hard to above all that, worry about what you are eating.

I would just concentrate on making sure just not to eat bad things when you have the option to eat healthy, and again just try to make sure you meet all the vitamin/mineral/anti-oxidants that your body really benefits from.
A 45min - hour walk is awesome. Very good for you.

As for pasta.. you could try switching to a whole wheat pasta( will fill you up for longer, and lessen the highs and lows)

You could also substitute some pasta for brown rice. Do you have freezers? you could buy some frozen veggies.....try to steer clear from canned fruits and veggies, they are loaded with salt.

Quinoa is an awesome grain alternative, you just boil it on the stove(do you have a stove?) you may be able to micorwave it in some water,... not sure though.

Quinoa is highly nutritious, and one of the least processed grain alternative out there. It has a slightly nutty flavour(although I hate nuts, and I cant taste any nuts) and is nice, light, but filling.

How much protein can you manage to eat throughout the week? Protein is great for uping your metabolism, prolonging energy levels, and keeping you feeling satisfied.

Aslo, make sure to eat a good breakfast. Your metabolism does not begin to start for the day, untill you have eaten something. Eating first thing in the morning(esp. protein, is you can) is a great way to kick start your body.

Sounds like you are doing awesome, you know your trouble spots, and that in its self is half the battle!
Good luck!Thanks for all the support and advice!

I do have a stove and a freezer. I try to get enough protein, however the only source I"m aware of it meat and fish. (I love both lol). When I buy canned fruit I try to buy the kind that is canned it juuice, not syrup...don't know if that's much help.

I've had a problem with diet soda the last few years. Mainly I drink it a lot. It's diet, but not only is it still bad for my teeth, but I"ve read that the synthetic sugar they use in soda actually makes your body want to eat more because your tricking your body into thinking it's getting calories through sugar when really it's not. I've gotten ym consumption down to about 1 can a day. And I"ve tried drinking more water, but I'm the kind of person that has a hard time with food and drinks that have little to no flavor lol.

I can eat whole grain rice but again I have to wrap my head around the flavor. Usually I end up masking the flavor by adding a lot of butter and salt, which kind of defeats the purpose lol.

I eat a lot of tuna despite the warnings about mercury. It has a lot of protein in it and I"m not planning on getting pregnant any time soon so I've decided that the benefit kind of outways the risk for the moment.

Back a little to the topic of self esteem, I have had VERY bad skin since the age of 9 when I started getting acne. It's been very severe since then and you can imagine I"ve tried evy treatment shor of Acutane, which I don't qualify for since I"ve been treated fo depression. However, as it related to diet, i"ve noticed that my acne get slightly better when I drink more water. I didn't do any research into it but I guessed the reason was because when my body is hydrated it doesn't need to produce as much oil for my skin, and therefore my poors don;t get clogged so badly. It's one of the motivators for drinking more water....now if they could just do somthing about the flavor! lol.

There's a drink called "Vitamin Water" by Sobe that make flavored water drinks that actually taste pretty good. I havn't been able to by it in bulk form a store since it is a bit pricy, but I get it in 20 ounce bottles from the local mini mart on occasion.

ClarityWhere
08-13-06, 09:37 AM
Getting in late here, but I found I was absolutely unable to stick to a diet or even good intentions. Not lacking willpower - I just forgot, got side-tracked!

What worked for me is an anti-diet approach. It's pretty counter-intuitive, at least if you count 'intuition' as what we get trained to think about good nutrition. But these days, the only issues I have with food are keeping stocked (hate shopping!) and being sure to eat frequently enough that I don't crash. PM me if you'd like details - I'm starting to feel bad pushing this one approach all over the place. It doesn't cost anything, but it's no quick fix and most people would rather diet.

Protein is also available in the plant kingdom by combining the right things. Rice & beans, grains & legumes are two classic vegan 'complete protein' combinations. If you eat these in whole-grain form, you'll also be getting lots of minerals, fibre and complex carbs.

Acne-wise ... I'm guessing you've considered the mini-pill?

Aizlyne
08-13-06, 09:54 AM
Getting in late here, but I found I was absolutely unable to stick to a diet or even good intentions. Not lacking willpower - I just forgot, got side-tracked!

What worked for me is an anti-diet approach. It's pretty counter-intuitive, at least if you count 'intuition' as what we get trained to think about good nutrition. But these days, the only issues I have with food are keeping stocked (hate shopping!) and being sure to eat frequently enough that I don't crash. PM me if you'd like details - I'm starting to feel bad pushing this one approach all over the place. It doesn't cost anything, but it's no quick fix and most people would rather diet.

Protein is also available in the plant kingdom by combining the right things. Rice & beans, grains & legumes are two classic vegan 'complete protein' combinations. If you eat these in whole-grain form, you'll also be getting lots of minerals, fibre and complex carbs.

Acne-wise ... I'm guessing you've considered the mini-pill?
I also have trouble keeping food stocked. I hate the grocery store.
I have tried the pill several times for acne is works "okay" as long as I take it continually for 3 months then break then do another three months. But the results are limited to just reducing redness and severity of acne. I still get a lot of zits, they just arn't as painful. I also have a problem with remembering to take my medicine every day so that gets be screwed up a lot.

Thanks for the advice about grains and legumes. I"ve never tried those combinations but if I get a chance I'll see if it helps.:)

tkdchic78
05-18-07, 08:54 PM
With Adderall I'm more able to control cravings and hunger. Before I ate all the time because I was bored and just wanted to do something, for some reason eating helped me feel accomplished in a way a guess because I cooked the food.

But with Adderall food is not constantly on my mind and I only eat when I'm truely hungry.

I've lost about 12 lbs so far without any effort and I think I'm gonna start a workout program.

QueensU_girl
05-19-07, 08:58 PM
http://www.thestar.com/Life/article/215721

An article about weight loss: "Trying to lose pounds, some lose a lot more."

Something to think about...

Thingy
09-16-07, 04:17 AM
Hey all.
Its been a while since I posted so I will try and explain the past few months as best I can and hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction.
I am 35 (female) and was finally diagnosed in May with ADHD and started Ritalin LA in June. I am now on 60mg in the mornings.
Since I have started I can control my addictions a little better, gave up cola, chips, all takeout except for Indian but don't over indulge in it. I eat very little chocolate now, I can open a small bar and only have a piece or two, before I would eat the whole thing and still want more. I eat a small breakfast because my Dr said that Ritalin can cause an upset stomach if taken without food, breakfast would be either brown bread or porridge.
My problem is I am very overweight but I don't really over eat, if anything I don't eat enough, going the whole day without food is normal for me.
I have just started college and I feel very self concious amongst all the teenagers and would like to get the weight down. I am going to start walking the 3-4 mile trip home in the evenings but the food is my problem. I don't want to go near the canteen because the food there is probably not healthy. I will take a sandwich (I will try and get a 5 grain multi bread) and some fruit with me so I can eat on breaks but I feel I may need extra protein, I also read somewhere on here that Amino Acids may help with ADHD and motivation, is true? I was thinking of Spiru-tein in the morning before I go to college but if anybody else has tried a better source I would be interested in hearing about it. I know that meat and fish are probably my best bet but I don't like it so much, I was a vegetarian for 10 years and started taking fish oils before I was diagnosed, I still take it for my joints so for that reason I don't consider myself a veggie anymore but don't eat a lot of meat.
Sorry this is so long, I was going to go to my Dr for advice but thought the people on here live with ADD and are in a better position to offer advice.