View Full Version : Hackers jump through holes in Microsoft patch

Andrew
09-09-03, 06:23 PM
Hackers jump through holes in Microsoft patch

Posted September 8, 2:08 p.m. Pacific Time

Security experts are warning Microsoft customers about silent Internet attacks that exploit a security flaw in the Internet Explorer Web browser, potentially allowing remote attackers to run malicious code on vulnerable machines.

The vulnerability is similar in scope to those exploited by devastating worms such as Nimda, Badtrans and Klez, according to one security company. And, to make matters worse, the flaw is one Microsoft said it fixed weeks ago.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/08/HNhackersjump_1.html

sighduck
01-31-11, 06:53 AM
hmm... hackers is such a misused word, hackers are usually the good guys, i prefer the word cracker to describe people who misuse hacking skills

Mignon
01-31-11, 07:03 AM
swell

Illiterati
01-31-11, 07:49 PM
The OP is several years old. I think this one is probably resolved by now. LOL

Ya, I know what you mean about hackers v crackers. But then, I've been part of the IT industry for a good 20 years now...

tipoo
01-31-11, 10:30 PM
Don't use Internet Explorer. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, whichever you prefer, all eons better.

/thread

hypergirl96
01-31-11, 10:32 PM
Don't use Internet Explorer.

/thread

too late :)

x6eze
02-01-11, 01:12 AM
They just need to implement some actual sandboxing in IE. It seems like a no brainier to me.

tipoo
02-01-11, 10:07 AM
They just need to implement some actual sandboxing in IE. It seems like a no brainier to me.

I think IE9 has sandboxing, the beta is shaping up to be very good actually. But IE8 and earlier are still the streaks on the underpants of the browser wars.

Mignon
02-01-11, 10:12 AM
The OP is several years old. I think this one is probably resolved by now. LOL

Ya, I know what you mean about hackers v crackers. But then, I've been part of the IT industry for a good 20 years now...

Good catch. It's almost as if I have attention... debt or something.

x6eze
02-01-11, 05:40 PM
I think IE9 has sandboxing, the beta is shaping up to be very good actually.

Yea I'm pretty sure it does....But unlike for Google, "Beta" means "not ready for public" in Microsoft context.

tipoo
02-01-11, 05:56 PM
Yea I'm pretty sure it does....But unlike for Google, "Beta" means "not ready for public" in Microsoft context.

Its more stable than the Firefox 4 beta, at least in my experience. And WAY more stable than any previous final IE release. They could launch it tomorrow and most general computer users would be very happy with it.

x6eze
02-01-11, 06:01 PM
Really? the GPU acceleration caused blue screens for me. ( a rare event on my comp )

tipoo
02-01-11, 06:57 PM
Really? the GPU acceleration caused blue screens for me. ( a rare event on my comp )

Probably your video drivers, not the browser itself. It uses Direct2D for acceleration so it shouldn't be a browser issue, much more likely a driver one.

bof00
02-07-11, 05:36 PM
hmm... hackers is such a misused word, hackers are usually the good guys, i prefer the word cracker to describe people who misuse hacking skills

Where did this misconception come from. As I have done both LOTS, the underground community does not use crackers as bad, and hackers as good. They are two separate things, but people that do hacking usually do cracking as well - different techniques for different purposes. Bad and good are determined by hat (white hat, black hat, and gray hat). There are other color hats but not in the hacking/cracking communities. Believe me there are black hat (bad) hackers and white hat (good) crackers.