View Full Version : Diagnosis in the UK

Jammy
07-28-05, 10:12 AM
Firstly hello to everyone here, i'm a newbie, lol. I'm Amelia, i'm 18 years old and I live in London.

For all of my life i've been in trouble at school and been made to feel completely alone. As a young child my mum took me to the docors believed I had ADHD but the doctor did not pursue it. I now notice it isn't just me who has had difficulty in recieving diagnosis.

After feeling set to fail my final year of free education, I broke down and told mum how i was feeling. She took me to a doctor who then referred me to a psychiatrist.

I am currently waiting to be assessed at Maudsley Hospital in London.

I was wondering if anyone here had been diagnosed at Maudsley and if they could possibly tell me what to expect.

Thank you,
Amelia.

Toby
07-28-05, 10:34 AM
Hey Amelia, welcome :D

I can empathise with your situation. I had similar problems at school, whcih left me isolated.

I was diagnosed at blackheath hospital, which isn't a million miles away from Maudsley. A lot of doctors tend to work at multiple hospitals, so you could well be seeing the same guy who diagnosed me.

Basically the diagnosis just involves a discussion with the psychiatrist about what ADD is and what the symptoms are, and discuss whether your experiences match the symptoms that he's talking about. At the end theres a few questionaires to fill in which help him reach a diagnosis. It's all very informal and painfree

If you want to talk, or have any questions, just ask :)

Jammy
07-28-05, 03:18 PM
Thank you Toby.

I only just discovered this site today and it amazes me how friendly and helpful everyone seems to be. I feel less isolated already, just knowing i'm not 'stupid' or 'lazy' and that there are people like me.

The psychiatrist in Lewisham today said they would want to interview both me and my parents which seems a little intimidating. But hopefuly it's all forward from here on, lol.

Thanks again :)
Amelia.

Jammy
07-28-05, 04:42 PM
And you almost have the same birthday as me... totaly irrelevant, but hey.
:p

Hehe.

*Skips off before she starts to ramble*

Toby
07-28-05, 05:00 PM
I noticed that too :D

Jammy
07-28-05, 05:33 PM
Hehe,
I'm totally bouncy today since I got that referal - it made me feel weirdly optimistic.
I just wish it had been done 18 years before I had the chance to fail my AS Levels and a Higher Diploma and screw up pretty much all I ever did. On a lighter note... Hehe, I don't know.
:D

I'm going off subject which is probably a violation of something or other, so I should probably stop rambling already. :p

Cath
11-05-05, 07:39 PM
I'm having difficulty getting my 4 yr old seen, i have been waiting over 9 months for my daughter to see the child psycologist, the health visitor and GP are 100% sure my daughter has ADHD!

My daughter's school can't give her extra help until there is a diagnosis!

But what really annoyed me once was when i took her to the supermarket she was trying to grab whatever she could from the shelves a woman came up to me and said you need to keep your child under control, she then said if she was mine she would have had a slap for what she's doing!
I told the woman well if that's your attitude you don't desserve to be a mother!