View Full Version : possible ld?

USMC
07-29-05, 01:02 AM
I am basically writing this in case someone can give me some insight on ld's. I have trouble with certain things but don't want to go around dx myself with stuff. I will just tell you some problems and you can just tell me what your opinion is. I didn't want to go to someone who could help me because I don't want to be labeled hypochondria or something.
1. I don't really switch letters (too much) but I confuse words or switch words around with each other. But my brain knows exactly how words are spelled. It's almost like a problem with my eyes or something. It's like they read the fifth word in a sentence and then the third word and also mistake words for a similar word. Like "religion" for "reference" or something. I also can figure out the words if I slow way down and read it over like 3 times. Creates a problem though when reading out loud in class and stopping to try to figure out a word until my eyes get it right.
2. I say things jumbled up a lot. I get words in the wrong order when I talk and have to stop sometimes to unscramble the words and try to figure out what it is I'm trying to say.
3. I can't do essays good at all. It's like I just can't put it on the paper and don't even know the order of my thoughts or anything. I know the info. It just overwhelms me. I can get an 89 on a mult. choice and T/F form of a test and get below a 30 on an essay form of the same material. This is going to be a huge stumbling block in college.
4. I have to read out loud or by moving my lips and do most assignments and readings by covering up the stuff I'm not working on because my eyes jump around too much and won't focus on one thing. I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I've noticed most people don't do it.
5. My handwriting varies a lot. I have pretty neat writing and very messy writing. The problem is the neat writing is very hard for me. Lots of erases and I have to hold the pencil really tight. People tell me I only write bad when I want to and am not trying. I don't think they understand that they can write pretty good without a huge amount of effort. I can't.
6. Miscellaneous stuff. I'm pretty good at math (leads me to believe there's no ld's) I am very visual. It's almost like I don't like words cause they're like symbols or something. I don't know. I'm ADHD so some or all of these things could be a result of the ADHD.

I know there's probably not many, if any, doctors here but people can just tell me what you think. If you think there may be a problem tell me. If you think there is nothing wrong and I just need to get over it tell me. THANKS for reading this incredibly long message!

Nova
07-29-05, 02:08 AM
It's way too late for me to reply, right now...but you are in my thoughts, nonetheless...I'll do a better job tomorrow..if you come back to read it...sometimes some of us need to regroup our mind...since it doesn't work the exact way that most assume it to...
Nova

Pigeon
07-29-05, 01:40 PM
after reading your post, I thought wow, that's exactly like me, lol...

pretty much everything you described from the reading and switching stuff around to the being good at math and not doing essays but good at MC is all me, even the handwriting, I could use your post as a check list for my schooling, lol :D small world ain't it lol...

Anyways I never thought about it but once I was dxed ADD I thought it was prob cuz my brain moves so fast and thinks so fast, that's why I have probs with the areas I do... made sense to me? Don't know what you think, if you're really worried about it you could talk to a LD counsler at your college in the fall, expecially if it could help you with essays and stuff, for me the meds slowed my brain down enough to beable to write (I still have to have testing accomidations) but I do much better...

Best of luck!

Pigeon

shinobi
07-30-05, 12:42 AM
just because you can handle maths doesnt mean its not an LD. It could well be an LD or it could well be a result of ADhD. I would go with pigeon and talk to an LD councellor at college.

USMC
07-30-05, 02:03 AM
Yeah, the meds slowed my brain down too. It helped me to be able to sit still long enough to read too, but it didn't help me know words better. I am just kind of hesitant to go to any "professional" people or people I know because they might say I'm just looking for problems or something. (I actually think it's the opposite though. I denied having ADHD for the longest time.) I know I'm supposed to advocate for myself and help myself to succeed, but I don't know how far to push it. I don't want to go to a person at college and say I think I have disabilities which I know nothing about. That's why I was just looking for more insight. Thanks!

Nova
07-30-05, 03:10 AM
Alright Marine..
Here's my opinion..
My answer will follow your questions on here..

USMC:
I didn't want to go to someone who could help me because I don't want to be labeled hypochondria or something.

Just being my facecious lil' self, but you're already labeled as a) a hunk (by women), b) a soldier (by all), c) intelligent enough to seek help in confusing situations d)humble (by all on here)

1. I don't really switch letters (too much) but I confuse words or switch words around with each other. But my brain knows exactly how words are spelled. It's almost like a problem with my eyes or something. It's like they read the fifth word in a sentence and then the third word and also mistake words for a similar word. Like "religion" for "reference" or something. I also can figure out the words if I slow way down and read it over like 3 times. Creates a problem though when reading out loud in class and stopping to try to figure out a word until my eyes get it right.

My eyes skim over words at a rate of 400+ a minute. It's less, for retention wise, but I have to put a bookmark, under the text, to be able to retain it. Otherwise, I do the same thing. I read outloud, when I don't understand the context of the paragraph. You have to realize that (I've squaked about this for a while now) textbooks nowadays, are thicker, and include more statistics, than they ever did. My eyes tend to focus on the copyright/date more than the point of the paragraph now..I suppose they feel they have to justify the outrageous cost they charge for them ( Trust me.. I know..)

2. I say things jumbled up a lot. I get words in the wrong order when I talk and have to stop sometimes to unscramble the words and try to figure out what it is I'm trying to say.
3. I can't do essays good at all. It's like I just can't put it on the paper and don't even know the order of my thoughts or anything. I know the info. It just overwhelms me. I can get an 89 on a mult. choice and T/F form of a test and get below a 30 on an essay form of the same material. This is going to be a huge stumbling block in college.

If you think of essays as written form of 'speaking'...like you were to tell me what you know about the essay question at hand...you'll do fine. Write all your thoughts, rambling...Give yourself five minutes to go back and correct grammar ( I know you know how to do that)...Unless you have a professor who has no life, and is aggravated to teach at your college, most professors want you to pass the class.. they don't have some Ego/Competition 'thang' going on with you. They are just doing their job. If you have a meglomaniacal professor...drop out of that class, and take it another time, when you get another professor. Again.. trust me..the key for my passing law school, has all to do with dropping classes and retaking them when I get a professor I can handle...I've been told that by the best APA's.

4. I have to read out loud or by moving my lips and do most assignments and readings by covering up the stuff I'm not working on because my eyes jump around too much and won't focus on one thing. I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I've noticed most people don't do it.

I just mentioned this, in the first section, of yours. My eyes constantly jump around on the page. They always did. That's why I was labeled 'remedial, with an IQ of 153. I hate posting details of 'me', but in this case, it might allow you to understand how the US school systems work. It's getting better though.. there are schools now, and classes that offer to all typology of learning disabled students...

5. My handwriting varies a lot. I have pretty neat writing and very messy writing. The problem is the neat writing is very hard for me. Lots of erases and I have to hold the pencil really tight. People tell me I only write bad when I want to and am not trying. I don't think they understand that they can write pretty good without a huge amount of effort. I can't.

All guys write atrociously. That's all I'm going to say.. LOL ! Don't sweat the small stuff. And for Pete's sakes...STOP being so anal...I know you're trained to do that..but you're going to drive yourself nuts, and me...let go of some things...You have to...

6. Miscellaneous stuff. I'm pretty good at math (leads me to believe there's no ld's) I am very visual. It's almost like I don't like words cause they're like symbols or something. I don't know. I'm ADHD so some or all of these things could be a result of the ADHD.

Most men are visual. I'm a weird chickie.. I sense things mostly through auditory factors, initially...and then visually..but only to verify what I 'hear'...
But your normal, as far as guys as concerned...Right, guys???

I know there's probably not many, if any, doctors here but people can just tell me what you think. If you think there may be a problem tell me. If you think there is nothing wrong and I just need to get over it tell me. THANKS for reading this incredibly long message!

I only tend to tell others, on here, to 'stop behaving like eejuts when I'm tired, or they are being complete and total goofs...Most times, I don't post anything, unless it has to do with something that I recognize personally.
<!-- / message -->

USMC
07-30-05, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the reply, info, support, etc! P.S. This doesn't have to do with the topic too much but I should probably tell you a couple of things anyways. First, I'm not a guy. Girl Marines are cooler anyways:) And also, I'm not really in the Marines yet. I hope to be able to gain some control over the ADHD symptoms so I can get off the meds and enlist. The Marine Corps is one of my passions. Kinda makes me mad I can't really do it yet, but I guess it's just another one of those things that sucks about being ADD. Thanks again for taking the time!

Pigeon
07-30-05, 10:51 AM
Yeah, the meds slowed my brain down too. It helped me to be able to sit still long enough to read too, but it didn't help me know words better. Hey chickey, lol, don't worry too much about it... we have great resouces for it all... trust me I live through college with a dictionary by my side and no one's the wiser, they just think I'm being a "nerd" lol :D
I am just kind of hesitant to go to any "professional" people or people I know because they might say I'm just looking for problems or something. I worked in a tutor center for LD students and such at a university (for math, go figure!) so I really wouldn't worry about it... I know easier said that done, lol... but they are happy to help... plus if it turns out it's not an LD and it is just part of ADHD (likely) than they can give you GREAT tips to help you!!! After all that's what they're there for... use em! LOL, get your money's worth girl... it can't hurt.

Pige,

PS feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about getting help from LD centers!!

USMC
07-30-05, 03:47 PM
Yes. I plan to get my money's worth. It's kinda cool because being with the support services I get unlimited tutoring for free. That was one of the cooler things because tutoring fees can really add up.

Nova
07-31-05, 05:05 AM
Well, that would prove me to be ADD/HD too, now wouldn't it? :) I should've looked on your profile before assuming you were a guy.
Sorry Hon! I truly am! I meant everything I said, except how you're viewed as a 'hunk', lol !
Nova

USMC
07-31-05, 03:18 PM
That's fine:) I wasn't mad or anything. I just wanted to clear it up. It takes A LOT to get me upset.