View Full Version : Girls With ADHD May Be At Risk For Depression

Andi
08-01-05, 07:33 AM
(WCCO) New research shows girls with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder have a much higher risk of suffering from depression and may need to be treated for both conditions.

Ariel Cohn, 20, has lived with anxiety and depression since the eighth grade.

"It got so bad where I just slept all day," she said. "I didn't get out of bed, I didn't do anything."

"I was already upset and depressed about the fact that I had ADD and had to take medications for that," Cohn said. "And when I found out I had two more things, I was like, 'Oh my God! What's going on?'"

New research from Harvard shows that girls with attention deficit disorder are 19 times more likely to be depressed and 15 times more likely to have bi-polar disorder than other girls.

"There is a very high likelihood that there will be something else besides ADHD going on, probably at least a 70 percent chance if not more," Dr. Richard Winer said.

So, why is one person so likely to have several disorders?

Researchers say the conditions are genetically linked and tend to aggravate each other.

"I try to do something, and I can't because of the ADD, and then it frustrates me and then that makes me very nervous and anxious and that goes to the anxiety," Cohn said. "And then when I get like that, I'll go 'Oh my God! I can't do anything! I can't do anything!' And that leads to the depression."

Experts say girls like Cohn often need one medication for ADHD and another for depression.

"I generally will try to treat ADHD first if I think there is also mild to moderate depression alongside," Winer said. "If the depression appears to be extremely severe in nature, then that takes precedence over treating ADHD."

Ariel often skips her medication, saying it's a crutch.

"She started taking some anti-depressants and all of a sudden she was back to the way she had been six months earlier," said Cohn's mother, Arlene.

http://wcco.com/seenon/local_story_212152037.html

phsychogirl
12-14-05, 10:29 AM
hey
(i have both)
xxx
amanda