View Full Version : Household chore I depised the most is.....

meadd823
08-02-05, 01:21 AM
The household chore I detest the most is dusting, but having to de-bug/de flea runs a close second!!!!!! :o

Lipz17
08-02-05, 01:48 AM
I detest on the dusting part as well.

stori813
08-02-05, 01:54 AM
Put me down for Dusting also.
It's just so boring.
So I feather dust during the week to music.
Then at the end of the week dust good with a cloth moving all the stuff.
No idea why it bores me so much.

alala
08-02-05, 04:00 AM
Vacuuming! If I have to get the big heavy vacuum cleaner out of the basement, then I have to do the whole house before I put it away and frankly, I just can't make that kind of commitment.

Edit: I don't hate dusting because I don't dust.

fasttalkingmom
08-02-05, 06:13 AM
That's hard, to pick just one.

I guess I'll agree with the dusting it's the one thing when I think about it I do the least of. I avoid having things around that need to be dusted :o

Andi
08-02-05, 07:07 AM
I agree, it's hard to pick just one but of all of them, I HATE doing dishes...bless the person that invented the dishwasher. Now all they need to do is invent one that loads and unloads itself.

herekittykitty
08-02-05, 07:27 AM
i don't do dusting--er, I don't mind dusting at all!

I hate trying to get the crud off the shower tiles. yeccchhh....

Nucking_Futs
08-02-05, 08:00 AM
I'd have to say that dishes and toilet cleaning are my least favorite thing to do in the world; but, I've found just doing it rather then wasting time putting it off is less work.

Hey, am I the only who has noticed that not one man has stepped foot in this thread? What's that about?

Johna
08-02-05, 08:49 AM
I am the odd woman out......the bathroom!!!!!!!!!

Pigeon
08-02-05, 10:14 AM
I hate laundry.... especially folding, I prefer the one clean basket and one dirty basket approach :D

but dragging it downstairs to do it... separating darks/lights towels/delecates... remembering it's down there to put in the dryer.... and taking them upstairs (lord knows sometimes I "live" outta the dryer ;))

I just wish wrinkled pj's were "in" all the time, lol, then I'd be ok with it all

add-to-the-bone
08-02-05, 10:21 AM
Okay, I'll be the first man to reply to this. Most put-off household chore....Folding and putting away clothes. My wife gets pretty annoyed that I am all over washing and drying clothes, but they end up in a pile on our bed or on a chair in the family room.

Trent

adhdxyz
08-02-05, 10:56 AM
add-to-the-bone,

Didn't anyone ever tell you that clothes are not supposed to end up on your bed or in a chair in the family room! That's why they made exercise bikes and treadmills. So that you can pile your clothes on them instead.

As far as household chores..If I had to pick a household chore that I would do, I would pick doing the laundry and loading/unloading the dishwasher. I can't stand cleaning the bathroom or dusting or mopping or vacuuming, or picking up paper clutter, and the list goes on. Thank goodness I have a 14 year old daughter that needs spending money. She doesn't mind cleaning the bathroom or the kitchen as long as she knows that as soon as she is done, she can run out the door to the mall.

I wish I had enough money to pay someone to come in and clean my house. At this time, I would be highly embarrassed to have someone come over to clean it. I would probably lie to them and tell them that I had some low life messy renters that left in the middle of the night and that's why the place looks like it does. :)

I am on vacation this week. My husband just took the kids to the water park. My plan was to try and get something done around here. I ran the dishwasher. Am doing a load of laundry and here I am on the computer instead of doing anything else.

Moody Blonde
08-02-05, 06:40 PM
I hate all of it! LOL!

minn306
08-02-05, 07:48 PM
Didn't anyone ever tell you that clothes are not supposed to end up on your bed or in a chair in the family room! That's why they made exercise bikes and treadmills. So that you can pile your clothes on them instead.

And my husband says that is not what my treadmill is for!! :p

I have such a problem getting motivated to get on my hands & knees to scrub the floors :eek: . I always put that chore off as long as I can BUT then I realize how nice the floors look when they are scrubbed.

livinginchaos
08-02-05, 08:36 PM
hmmm . .what's my most despised household chore . . . . .

vacuuming
washing dishes (I have to by hand)
picking up my clothes
doing laundry
re-organizing all of my clutter

In other words, the biggest chore of household chores for me is . . ALL OF IT!!!!

adhdxyz
08-02-05, 08:48 PM
minn306,

In my 43 years of adhd, I have had several treadmills and each one has been ideal for piling clothes on. That's really odd that your treadmill is not for that reason. Maybe it's a difference in brands. What brand is yours?

minn306
08-02-05, 09:38 PM
It is just called that my husband has this really strange theory that clothes belong in the closet on hangers. Can you believe that???

Why should I hang them up in the closet when the treadmill works just fine??:D

Caine7478
08-02-05, 10:02 PM
I hate doing dishes and laundry. I will go out of my way to buy paper plates instead of using real dishes. In my younger days I would just buy new cloths so I would not have to wash what I had.

jlscott252
08-03-05, 12:21 AM
I'd have to say, folding socks, and cleaning the bathroom....

Natural Decline
08-04-05, 05:25 AM
I hate doing dishes and laundry. I will go out of my way to buy paper plates instead of using real dishes. In my younger days I would just buy new cloths so I would not have to wash what I had.

Hehe, my most probably ADD dad does the first thing, and I do the second one more times than I'm willing to admit.
I don't mind laundry that much, but I procrastinate on it a lot. It takes up so much time.

But the worst chore EVER is cleaning the litterbox. The smell of cat waste knocks me right over. I'll do it, but... :faint:

meadd823
08-04-05, 08:36 AM
I'd have to say, folding socks

Socks are folded?????? Wow what a concept. Now that is an article of clothing that should come in disposible!!!!! Socks, imagine being able to throw those nasty things away after one use like we do paper plates!!!!!!

Any one what to make a million bucks???? All ya gotta do is invent the disposible comfortable sock that's cheep!!!!!!!

Shrinking Alice
08-06-05, 09:24 AM
Our socks are in a basket--not even paired up...nevermind folded. And sometimes they aren't in the basket--just mingling with the other pile of clean laundry on the laundry folding counter.....:eek:

My chore that is the hardest for me is sweeping and then...........eek!!!....the dustpan!!!
Sweeping is hard because stuff on the floors is the worst.....some is sand..crumbs....cereal...obviouss trash....but then add in some legos.....an earring.....and bigger things....total stress to me.......I have to decide right then & there----to the trash or save....and if save...then where to bring it..and if I bring it somewhere...I have to remember to come back to where the broom & dustpan are......and continue on.............

But vaccumming I like...maybe because it's more instant--suck & it's gone...and I can manuver around things like legos...just picking up the dirt & dust.......leaving the stuff to be put away for later.........

Which makes me realize..........MY despised chore isn't sweeping........It's putting little things that are on the floor away!!!!!

meadd823
08-06-05, 03:11 PM
Which makes me realize..........MY despised chore isn't sweeping........It's putting little things that are on the floor away!!!!!

ROFL!!!!! I rememebr those days, small children and small toys on floor!!!!! Yikes small toys on floor bare feet OUCH!!!!!

Now my little darlings have lived long enough to get to step on thier own childrens toys left on floor.

adhdxyz
08-08-05, 11:46 PM
I was on vacation last week and got several things done including school supply shopping for the kids, uniform fitting, doctor appt for my son's adhd meds, physical for my daughter, haircuts, etc....

Plus I got caught up on all the laundry, which is a miracle in itself because my adhd/ocd son changes clothes several times a day. When he changes clothes, they eventually end up on the floor for some reason or another and get dog hair on them. He then refuses to wear them so I have to re-wash the clothes.

It's one big vicious laundry cycle, but we keep the link brush companies and laundry detergent companies in business.

I usually throw my clean clothes over my treadmill or exercise bike, or I hang my clothes on hangers on the copper pipes in the basement near the washer and dryer. It's very convenient. This has always worked well for me.

As I was getting ready for bed last night, I noticed that throughout my week off work, several of "my" clothes accumulated on the end of our bed.

Throughout the week, this storage place was OK because the clothes kept the blanket tucked down on the bed so that my feet were covered. This just might work I thought and maybe, just maybe, I could eventually get to my treadmill.

But...when I got up this morning, one of our long haired shiztu dogs was laying on top of my stack of clean clothes (that were keeping the blanket down for my feet.)

Now there is white dog hair on my clean clothes and I will have to throw them in the laundry. Or atleast in the dryer. (Hmmm...I sound just like my adhd son, don't I.) :)

This does not happen when my clothes are on my treadmill, exercise bike or hanging on the copper pipes. Clothes on the end of the bed do not work in our family (even though my tootsies were cozy.)

meadd823
08-08-05, 11:57 PM
Now there is white dog hair on my clean clothes and I will have to throw them in the laundry

Hmmm maybe wear clothes same color as dog!!!!!!!

Uminchu
08-09-05, 12:02 AM
Vacuuming isn't so bad, but getting out the cord, plugging the thing in, and switching plugs as you go through the house is a pain... :)

Uminchu
08-09-05, 12:07 AM
Hate:

Folding laundry/putting it away
Putting away dishes
Gardening
Cleaning bathrooms
Cleaning windows (I used to like it when we had a squeegy though...)
Picking stuff up
Don't mind too much:

Sweeping (easy and effect is noticeable)
Dusting (keeps my computers clean and that makes me happy :))
Loading washing machine/dishwasher
Cooking (but need to keep mess down... ;))

Uminchu
08-09-05, 12:11 AM
In my 43 years of adhd, I have had several treadmills and each one has been ideal for piling clothes on. That's really odd that your treadmill is not for that reason. Maybe it's a difference in brands. What brand is yours?
Actually I like the fact that my weight equipment collects stuff. It motivates me to work out because I'll see the stuff accumulating. It's like the stuff is taunting me, and I need to work out to clear it off. :)

adhdxyz
08-09-05, 08:38 AM
Hmmm maybe wear clothes same color as dog!!!!!!!
Now that I think about it, I already do this. We have 4 dogs and 1 cat. One dog is medium brown, one is dark brown/black, 1 is white with light/dark brown, and the other is white with brown/black. The cat is multi shades of gray/light browns. The main color I wear is black and also brown.

When I go shopping, I always gravitate towards black. (I am not depressed, or down in the dumps or anything. I always think of the trench coat mafia type when they wear all black.) But then again, super models and celebrities wear black alot too.

My 2 adhd "in denial" sisters are the same way. When we go out, we call each other and say "what are you wearing" and we all laugh and say "Ummm, let me think....a black shirt and jeans". We all resemble each other alot so we look like triplets sometimes when we go out. My husband has a closet stuffed with black Harley shirts. I wonder if black is an add/adhd thing, or just a preference. I feel I look cuter and thinner in black :) plus it's easy to match.

Just recently, I started adding a little more color to my wardrobe. Like I might wear a hot pink shirt with black pants. Or a turqoise long sleeve shirt/jacket with a black shirt.

Anyway, back to the original thread. I still hate cleaning the bathroom. Even before I got married and had a son. Another thing I hate is doing dishes by hand. I feel like Cinderella and like I am getting punished. I am sure this goes back to my childhood. My parents still don't have a dishwasher, nor does my sister. When we have Thanksgiving dinner, I end up getting stuck helping with the dishes because she spent the last 24 hours cooking. If I win the lottery, I am buying my whole family a dishwasher. Plus I am going to hire a maid. I will first have to hire someone to clean the house BEFORE I could hire a maid.

Nucking_Futs
08-09-05, 10:21 AM
I've always been partial to bright clothes and jeans. The brighter the color the more comfortable I feel inside (can't really explain it) especially orange and yellow though. If my husband just happens to see anything in orange he'll pick it up for me cause he knows if he tells me about it I"m gonna be mad that I don't have one and RIGHT NOW DARN IT!!!!!!!!! I'm just a tad impatient.

As for cleaning I am trying to re-organize my life during the week off from work and before starting school.

I haven't been able to step foot out of the kitchen in two days. For some reason (probably stress) my OCD will not allow me to move to another room. I've cleaned and organized every single cupboard, drawer, shelf, cleaned the frig and freezer (twice), the microwave, windows, walls, ceilings and carpet but still I"m missing something and I literally can't stop cleaning that room. Pretty good indicator that I'm not going to get anything accomplished I have a call into my doctor, I can generally control my OCD behaviours without meds but there are times that I must medicate to motivate if that makes any sense.lol

T-Bass
08-09-05, 10:36 AM
It's a women's job to do all household chores. I know some couples are different, I tell my girlfriend that if we ever live together she's going to be responsible for all that stuff. I'll take care of fixes & repairs.

T-Bass

Nucking_Futs
08-09-05, 10:43 AM
But the worst chore EVER is cleaning the litterbox. The smell of cat waste knocks me right over. I'll do it, but... :faint:

I buy the clump kind of litter and mix baking soda with it. I keep the litterbox in the bathroom and scoop out any waste everytime I use the bathroom so I never actually have to clean the stinky thing and the baking soda helps cut down on smell.

I also buy large yard sacks to wrap around the litter box (if your cat isn't declawed this won't work) and once a week I dump the bag and litter into another bag so I don't have to wash the litter box.

Nucking_Futs
08-09-05, 10:50 AM
My chore that is the hardest for me is sweeping and then...........eek!!!....the dustpan!!!
Sweeping is hard because stuff on the floors is the worst.....some is sand..crumbs....cereal...obviouss trash....but then add in some legos.....an earring.....and bigger things....total stress to me.......I have to decide right then & there----to the trash or save....and if save...then where to bring it..and if I bring it somewhere...I have to remember to come back to where the broom & dustpan are......and continue on.............

Since the little stuff generally belongs in someone's bedroom I wear nursing scrubs when I clean. The two large pockets on my legs are for Koda and Lexi's stuff, the ones on my shirt are for Garrett's and our stuff. I just slip small stuff as I'm cleaning into its prospective pocket and empty when I'm done.

You can get a scrub outfit at Walmart for under $20.

Or you do as my sister does she just grabs old plastic grocery sacks and ties them to her belt loops, labeled with her boys names so she knows were the stuff goes.

My sister in law yells "In 30 minutes I'm cleaning and anything on the floor is trash" her family knows she means it, she threw out my brother's car keys once lmao

Nucking_Futs
08-09-05, 11:15 AM
It's a women's job to do all household chores. I know some couples are different, I tell my girlfriend that if we ever live together she's going to be responsible for all that stuff. I'll take care of fixes & repairs.

T-Bass

As a working wife I would love to see this backfire. In the past household chores were seen as women's work but financial support was seen as a male role exclusevly.

I can see your girlfriend or wife saying "Ok dear" and then refuse to get a job because that is a man's job. lol

I'd be careful and think anything you say over before saying it. It could one day bite ya in the butt. :p

Uminchu
08-09-05, 08:14 PM
I can see your girlfriend or wife saying "Ok dear" and then refuse to get a job because that is a man's job. lol

I'd be careful and think anything you say over before saying it. It could one day bite ya in the butt. :p
My wife is a homemaker. But I don't think housework is woman's work -- it's just work. I just personally have a very hard time doing it.

That's why the housekeeper was my idea -- to take off my guilt at being a total freaking slob. But the housekeeper ruined it and poisoned the wells for any future housekeepers... :(

ClearConfusion
08-10-05, 08:39 AM
It's a women's job to do all household chores. Oh, a visitor from the 50:s! :eyebrow:

ClearConfusion
08-10-05, 08:50 AM
I think I would have to say vacuming. That thing is so heavy to drag around!

I almost never dust or clean windows.

pembroke
08-10-05, 10:08 AM

T-Bass
i am just spluttering and speechless :eek: :confused: :foot:

Nucking_Futs
08-10-05, 10:19 AM
My wife is a homemaker. But I don't think housework is woman's work -- it's just work. I just personally have a very hard time doing it.

That's why the housekeeper was my idea -- to take off my guilt at being a total freaking slob. But the housekeeper ruined it and poisoned the wells for any future housekeepers... :(

When I am not working I take on all household responsibility. A job is a job is a job but when I am working I expect my husband to put just as much effort into the house as I do.

If you and your wife are both happy with your agreement there is nothing wrong with it IMHO.

Uminchu
08-10-05, 07:26 PM
If you and your wife are both happy with your agreement there is nothing wrong with it IMHO.
She's basically happy with it, but I get guilty. And besides, I would like to take as much burden off of her as possible so the burden of my other failings won't seem so great. :)

Scatterbrainz
08-10-05, 09:03 PM
My most despised? I would have to say dishes since i get so impatient when I have to do them to make sure every little spot comes off of it and the staying in one place deal too.
And tho I turn the water off, some of it always manages to get my shirt wringing wet and I hate that. It happens every time.

auntchris
08-11-05, 02:10 AM
I one and most despised chore is IRONING!!! I dont like doing the dishes either.

Nucking_Futs
08-11-05, 06:25 AM
I one and most despised chore is IRONING!!! I dont like doing the dishes either.

Chris what is a person doing ironing in todays day and age? Did you not know that just about any garment can be thrown in the drier for a few minutes the wrinkles will come out? Trust me I've done it a million times or more. ;)

SB I am so glad I am not the only person who walks away from the kitchen sink after washing dishes looking as though I took a dive. :rolleyes:

Uminchu we all have things we are strogn at and things we can't do so well. If your good at bringing home the bacon the stick with that. Little things that could help your wife is putting your own laundry away after she folds it, rinsing your dishes, etc trust me she'll appreciate it and they are not too time consuming just remember once you start to continue or she'll get a little upset with you so don't try to take on too much at first.

ClearConfusion
08-11-05, 08:52 AM
Yes!! Ironing is awful. I try to avoid it as much as I can. If I have to iron something I prefer trousers with creases, made of some rather heavy cloth. I have a blouse that I didn't wear for a long time cause it was so difficult to iron. Even my father thought so, when he helped me with it. Now I wear it even if it's a bit wrinkled.

ClearConfusion
08-11-05, 11:35 AM
She's basically happy with it, but I get guilty. And besides, I would like to take as much burden off of her as possible so the burden of my other failings won't seem so great. :)
How about if you would cook dinner and do the dishes on weekends -- or something like that?

bcaddkid
08-11-05, 02:48 PM
I HATE doing dishes. I can't stand it. It's so boring, I get dirty, my hands smell, and I drop things and then they break, so I get sad cuz I really like my dishes even though they're dirt cheap from Ikea, but they look cool and my friends/girls love eating off them. I like kitchen stuff OK...yes, being a guy still allows you to like kitchen stuff.

My solution is to only rent places that have dishwashers(I'm in university, I'm not buying a place yet), and to only hand wash pots and pans. It works...usually. I also handwash wine glasses, but since we usually just end up being a bottle each and drinking it straight from said bottles, it isn't usually a problem.

Uminchu
08-11-05, 07:25 PM
How about if you would cook dinner and do the dishes on weekends -- or something like that? That's good advice. I actually kind of like cooking, although keeping the mess factor down is a challenge. :) But I haven't cooked in a while; don't really know why.

As for doing dishes, loading up the dishwasher is not a problem, but putting dishes back is like a wall...

I guess it's doing something consistently, like you mention, that's the real hard thing for me, though. Something I need to work on in all parts of my life, really.

bcaddkid
08-12-05, 01:03 PM
As for doing dishes, loading up the dishwasher is not a problem, but putting dishes back is like a wall...
No no, no need. Once you use a clean dish from the dishwasher, you can just place it back in the dishwasher with the clean ones (it's pretty obvious, usually), or pile them in the sink until they're all dirty again, and then into the dishwasher they go. Doing this also saves you the expense of things like kitchen cabinets ;)

Uminchu
08-12-05, 08:11 PM
No no, no need. Once you use a clean dish from the dishwasher, you can just place it back in the dishwasher with the clean ones (it's pretty obvious, usually), or pile them in the sink until they're all dirty again, and then into the dishwasher they go. Doing this also saves you the expense of things like kitchen cabinets ;)
You know that. I know that. But does wife know that? Nooooo.

Toward the end of my wife's pregnancy, she was put on bed rest. So I took care of the dishes, and used your very wise dishes-stay-in-the-dishwasher trick. It was torture for my wife, though. I actually caught her getting up at night to put the dishes away...

adhdxyz
08-13-05, 10:38 AM
Uminchu, So your wife is ocd? :)

I don't mind loading or unloading the dishwater. Again, it's because I went 30 plus years without one.

I remember one time when I was single and moving to a different house, I didn't feel like washing some of my dirty pots and pans so I just threw them away. (It's much easier.) One of the moving guys acted like he found gold when he saw my pots and pans in the trash can and asked if he could have them. Dirty and all. (strange)

Another time, when I was single and my younger brother was helping me clean my kitchen, he opened an omelet pan that was on my stove and low and behold, it had an omelet in it that I had forgotten about. (I'm adhd. What can I say.) Since it was old and moldy (it started out as an egg/cheese/mushroom omelet), we had no choice but to throw that pan away. (I wonder if that moving guy would have wanted it? Hmmm.)

And whoever thought of "self cleaning" appliances, must be add/adhd.

P.S.
Echee, knee, son, she, go, local, hechee, hachee, koo, you (that's all I know in Japanese.)

Uminchu
08-13-05, 08:26 PM
Uminchu, So your wife is ocd? :)
Obsessive cleanliness disorder? Yep, she's got that in spades. :)

I remember one time when I was single and moving to a different house, I didn't feel like washing some of my dirty pots and pans so I just threw them away. (It's much easier.)

Disposable pots and pans -- we could make a fortune!

Echee, knee, son, she, go, local, hechee, hachee, koo, you Very good! :D
Except you=juu.

meadd823
08-15-05, 12:15 AM
I tell my girlfriend that if we ever live together she's going to be responsible for all that stuff.

Ahh some one who is interested in long distance relationships only!!!!!
In the mean time who does your household chores????

Ironing is awful.

Ironing isn't that the stuff they make buildings, some heavy cook ware out of???????