View Full Version : Looking for inspiration ...

satrow
08-11-05, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a diagnosis and some kind of therapy/drug combo to get me on track. I'm 48 and have managed to screw-up almost everything I've been involved with!

Any pointers to previous threads/stickies to help me get started?

Cheers,

Andy.

karennerak
08-24-05, 02:20 PM
Hiya there Andy...

Are You still looking for a diagnosis of ADHD/ADD?
I'm 41 and only got diagnosed on the 15th August this year.
I know exactly how you feel, about screwing up, almost everything, that you have been involved with ; As it was due to my screw-ups, that i decided, enough was enough! and i would try to get myself diagnosed with ADHD (I knew i had it!)
I went to My GP and asked him to refer me to a pyschiatrist, to be diagnosed with ADHD...
I got my appointment, which lasted 1 hour and 5 minutes and he asked me loads of questions about my life from childhood to the present day and asked about my relationships etc etc... At the end of that appointment, he diagnosed me with ADHD and i was given a prescription of Atomoxitine.

I hope this information helps you Andy, with those first steps to getting a diagnosis.

Karen ((Hugs))

satrow
08-25-05, 01:31 PM
Hiya Karen,

Yes, I'm still looking for a diagnosis ... all the local CMHT team seem to be looking for was how depressed I was - not what was causing it. Taken it back to my GP to try again ...

Thanks for the info Karen, how long did it take from GP to diagnosis?

Andy.

karennerak
08-25-05, 03:12 PM
Hiya Andy...

You ask, how long it took from asking GP to getting a diagnosis of ADHD...
Well....

I asked the doctor and a month later i got an appointment from the Psychiatrists... then another week and a half until that appointment...

At the appointment that took 1 hour and 5 minutes, he diagnosed me, there and then, with ADHD and Chronic Depression...
I was so relieved after years of feeling like an odd-bod suspecting i had ADHD ; Now at long last i got the diagnosis i so wanted and now i can be treated.. My medication has some uncomfortable side-effects of sweating and dry tongue, which should go!.. they had better! lol

Why on earth, i hadn't asked the doctor to refer me to a psychiatrist before now, i don't know! lol

But with Life turning so bad all the time ; Enough was enough!
A new start.. I hope

Karen

karennerak
08-25-05, 03:42 PM
By the way Andy, i think that an awful lot of people are getting diagnosed with Depression.. like i did 10 years ago... instead of getting to the root of the problem, that has caused the Depression... In my case ADHD and in your situation too, by the sounds of it.

Karen

satrow
08-25-05, 04:09 PM
By the way Andy, I think that an awful lot of people are getting diagnosed with Depression.. like I did 10 years ago... instead of getting to the root of the problem, that has caused the Depression... In my case ADHD and in your situation too, by the sounds of it.
I can't disagree with that, Karen - I've been on-and-off antidepressants since I was sixteen, not that they ever seemed to help ... more often made me worse off in some ways.

Andy.

karennerak
08-25-05, 04:19 PM
Andy...

Anti-depressants have awful side-effects... getting the right ones that suit, can be a tiring experience! lol

How did you come to the suspect, that you suffer with ADHD?... Where did you hear of ADHD?

Hey, just think Andy.. get yourself diagnosed and properly medicated and the next 48 years will be better than the last 48!

Karen

Emma S
08-25-05, 04:24 PM
Andy,I don't think there is one set diagnosis time,different people can present more/less difficulties,and they might show a lot of different traits-so the more complex the situation is,the more assessing needed.

It took me 3 appointments(1 per week) to get an official diagnosis although that was mainly due to having multiple disabilities and learning difficulties previously undiagnosed.
Seeing as you would like to go onto medication,ask to be referred to a pyschiatrist as opposed to a pyschologist as pyschologists cannot prescribe medication.

I agree with Karen,if your difficulties are caused by ADHD,it's possible the depression stemmed from being undiagnosed and the ADHD difficulties itself,it's very common for undiagnosed ADHDers to have had,or still have depression.