View Full Version : Combining Wellbutrin and Adderall?

LegallyInsane
08-29-05, 10:21 AM
Is it safe to combine Wellbutrin and Adderall together? I am on 150mg of Wellbutrin but I still have problems with energy. Would it be safe to combine Adderall with my daily cocktail?

Boxer19
08-29-05, 10:40 AM
Is it safe to combine Wellbutrin and Adderall together? I am on 150mg of Wellbutrin but I still have problems with energy. Would it be safe to combine Adderall with my daily cocktail?
Hi legally. I am not an expert but I did read in one of Edward Hallowell's books that he has frequently prescribed these two drugs together. I know one of the books was "Worry".

Andrew
08-29-05, 10:42 AM
You should check with your doctor, or alternatively, with your pharmacist. Are you being prescribed both meds by the same doctor, different doctors, or are you self-medicating?

add-to-the-bone
08-29-05, 04:28 PM
I take both as well as Zoloft and seem to have finally found the right combination.

Zoloft 200mg
Wellbutrin 300mg
Adderall XR 25mg x2

Debs
08-29-05, 07:54 PM
I take 150 mg of wellbutrin along with between 75 and 90mgs of adderall a day. I take 30mg at 7am 11 am and then either a half of one or a whole one at 2pm. It is the best combo so far for my inattentive add.

LegallyInsane
08-29-05, 08:26 PM
You should check with your doctor, or alternatively, with your pharmacist. Are you being prescribed both meds by the same doctor, different doctors, or are you self-medicating?Same doctor. He's giving me both. Just wondering if that was safe because he's the type of doctor that will throw a prescription down your throat at the first onset of a symptom.

LegallyInsane
08-29-05, 08:27 PM
I take 150 mg of wellbutrin along with between 75 and 90mgs of adderall a day. I take 30mg at 7am 11 am and then either a half of one or a whole one at 2pm. It is the best combo so far for my inattentive add.I see. Now I am assuming that it is Adderall IR and not the XR?

lotsofconfusion
08-30-05, 02:34 AM
Yes, I think that they work well together also. I take 10mgs of Adderall (IR) 2x and 150 of Wellbutrin 2x. I"ve also found that 20 mgs of adderal and the wellbutrin work better but the adderall had increased my heart rate, so I've stuck to the 10mgs :( .

nivek
10-12-05, 08:16 AM
I have been taking 150 mg of WB (the last 10 months) and 15 mg of Focalin (more than a year). I am now back on Adderall and feel this is the right combonation like others have noted in this thread.

LegallyInsane
10-12-05, 09:50 AM
Well since this thread was bumped I guess I should take the opportunity to give you guys an update on the situation:

Last Tuesday I was taken from my college to the hospital via ambulance and spent 9 hours in the emergency room. After running my medication cocktail through Poison Control, the doctor diagnosed me with serotonin syndrome, which I said was unlikely because I have experienced it before and this definitely wasn't it. So for now I will be sticking to just Adderall since that has the fastest onset.

blackwhite
12-24-05, 04:05 AM
what where the doses that put you in the hospital and how long where you on them leagle? Also has anyone else experienced trouble with wellbutrin and adderral?

mctavish23
12-24-05, 11:09 AM
I take Wellbutrin & Adderall together.

The combination has worked well overall.

Good luck

lotsofconfusion
01-14-06, 02:12 AM
I'm still taking adderal and welbutrin: 10mgs of adderal and 150 mgs of wellbutrin.I started the welbutrin because the rebound from the adderal (ir) was horrible. Now they seem to be working well together but after a week or so I become very irritable and feel better after skipping a day or two. Once the welbutrin wears off, forget it, I'm a mess! I'm irritable, depressed, and very agitated. Just leave me alone for a few hours!

dixiepeep
01-21-06, 01:33 PM
what where the doses that put you in the hospital and how long where you on them leagle? Also has anyone else experienced trouble with wellbutrin and adderral?I think the combo makes me more irritable. I still have problems with procrastination too. I don't know what to try next.:confused:

ADHDadult
02-22-06, 01:38 AM
I take Wellbutrin XL 300mg, and regular Adderall 20mg in the morning, and either 10 or 20mg in the afternoon, depending on my work load for the remainder of the day. I find them to be excellent. I think, of all the antidepressants, Wellbutrin XL is the best one. I'm sure there are some, but I've done some half-***** research and found nothing about Wellbutrin causing any problems with anyone, EXCEPT maybe increasing their chances of seizure...but that seems to no longer be a problem with Wellbutrin. Of all the antidepressants, its the only one that makes me feel normal...not in excess of impulsivity or highs or whatever. Its JUST RIGHT...and with Adderall, it fixes my attention problems! If you start taking adderall, try starting at a very low dose and GRADUALLY work your way up. good luck, keep us posted.

Delirium07
03-06-06, 02:00 PM
I take both 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL and 20 mg of Adderall XR every day and I think it's not working out so well for me! I am constantly irritated, depressed, snappy, and continuously worrying about the rest of the day and what's gonna happen and how I don't feel like getting any work done, and then it makes me anxious and I just feel so detached from reality, because it seems that it can't move fast enough to keep up with my nonstop mind. I have gotten used to this so much that after 6 months of this combination I am finally realizing this may be what makes me feel like **** every day. I am going to the Dr to get my adderall reduced and eventually off it, cuz I can't live like this anymore. Most of the people on here seem to have good experiences with the two but I am not one of them. I think Wellbutrin is the best antidepressant though, and I am gonna see if just that makes me ok, cuz I never felt this bad on Wellburtin alone. Anyone else had this happen?

PampasKitty
03-15-06, 11:47 AM
I've taken wellbutrin sr 150 (bupropion hcl) twice a day since I was diagnosed 5 years ago. I have been through a plethlora of simulant dosage forms, and have been on methylphenidate, amphetamine salts (adderall), dextroamphetamine (dexedrine), and now dexmethylphenidate (focalin). I've never had any problems.

From the pharmaceutical side of things, according to Drug Facts and Comparisons, MicroMedex, and Clinical Pharmacology Online, taking amphetamine with wellbutrin reduces the seizure threshold of wellbutrin. It is listed as a moderate interaction.

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are concerned or if seizure runs in your family or if you yourself already know you are prone to seizures because the two together could cause a problem.

but then again so could wellbutrin by itself.

I feel it is a safe combination, but in the end, it is up to you and your doctor as a team to determine what is and isn't safe for you.

Hope this helps some.

Chuck

panthoot
03-26-06, 06:56 PM
I take 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 20 mg of Adderall every morning, as prescribed by my doctor. It has been absolutely wonderful for me.

QueensU_girl
03-26-06, 08:41 PM
Amphetamines (incl Dex) and Wellbutrin are fine.

You may start to feel sick (headaches, etc) if you mix in an SSRI or SNRI.

neuroangel
03-27-06, 12:57 PM
I went from taking 300 mg of wellbutrin XL down to 150 mg and recently started generic adderall instant release, 20 mg in the morning and 10 or 20 mg around lunch time. I don't have much of an appetite, but other than that I feel fine on the combination. I get things done, I'm not depressed or irritible...I'm not sleeping very well, but I go through bouts of insomnia often. It could just be a coincidence. Only time will tell. :)

neuroangel

doggidoc
05-05-06, 01:35 PM
Did any one find that the Adderall (or any other stim) did NOT work for them alone, but worked fine when combined with Wellbutrin.

I have tried Concerta (BAD!!) and now I have been on Adderall IR for a couple weeks. I started at 10mg x2 and as of today, I am up to 20mg X 2. I don't feel like it is doing me any good and I am very aware of when it is wearing off (about 3 hours). I feel like the only reason I am taking it, is to prevent the headache I get when I "crash".

I was wondering if, because I have no major side-effects, the solution may be to add another med as apposed to trying something else altogether?

PLEASE HELP!!

LENNOX LEWIS
05-05-06, 01:38 PM
I take both as well as Zoloft and seem to have finally found the right combination.

Zoloft 200mg
Wellbutrin 300mg
Adderall XR 25mg x2
wow thats alot of meds

jonquiljo
05-14-06, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I've been interested in asking my p-doc to put me on Wellbutrin. I'm currently taking Lexapro 30mgat night and Adderall 20 mg three times a day. The Adderall isn't quite cutting it.

My life (to make a very long story short) is a totally depressing real-life melodrama (yes, there can be horrible things in life that can make you "squirm" for years on end - I am in one of those situations.)

The problem with p-doc in general is that if you ask them about a med, they will offer to put you on it if it is chemically feasible. I only want to get into Wellbutrin if people here think that its worth a try. Most p-docs don't have to live through hell - but rather treat people living in hell.

I guess to make a long story short - has anyone heard of a Lexapro-Adderall-Wellbutrin combo? And was it sucessful?

Thanks in advance.

Galaxy Girl
05-16-06, 12:35 AM
Hi Jonquiljo,

My personal and highly-biased opinion: Wellbutrin is definitely worth a try!

Over many years of trying various antidepressants, it's the one that has worked best for me--far far better than anything else I've tried.

For what it's worth, my p-doc once told me he considers Wellbutrin one of the best antidepressants on the market. Said he's seen it consistently help more people, with less side effects, than any other antidepressant med. Said it works consistently over long periods of time without losing effectiveness, and that people rarely build up tolerance to it. (Not to say it's right for everyone, because it doesn't work for some people.) But he said in his professional experience it is a great longterm choice for a lot of people.

I take Wellbutrin XL and Adderall XR. I have read/heard of people who also take Lexapro with that mix (though I haven't tried it myself because in past experience I don't do well with SSRI meds).

Good luck,
Gigi

jonquiljo
05-16-06, 04:44 PM
I take Wellbutrin XL and Adderall XR. I have read/heard of people who also take Lexapro with that mix (though I haven't tried it myself because in past experience I don't do well with SSRI meds).
I wonder if Wellbutrin will reduce the sexual side effects that I get from Lexapro. Not that I have sex available to me in the immediate future, but it would be nice to have the 'ol libido back again - at least full force.

Also, since I am at 60mg of adderal, and my p-doc won't raise that any further (even though I have no side effects), I am desperate for help. I really wish my pdoc would raise me to 80 or 90 Adderall, but he says that 40 is max - and I'm already at 60. And 60 mg give me only about 5 hours of focus time. Hmm .... I don't want to go back to the way I was all my life.

Galaxy Girl
05-16-06, 10:04 PM
Jon, are you sure it's the Adderall that isn't cutting it? Maybe the Lexapro is too much and is negating the benefits of the Adderall in some way. Have you ever talked to your doc about reducing the Lexapro, or switching to something else altogether (like Wellbutrin)?

Gigi

Ann74
05-16-06, 10:35 PM
Galaxy Girl, You are so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stopped taking prozac, and my adderall is working again. It took a few days though. I'm going to see if my doctor will let me try wellbutrin. I was taking 15 mgs of IR a day, and when I started the prozac I could take up to 40 mgs of adderall and still feel nothing. Life is back to normal now. However, I am dealing with the withdraw effects of the prozac.

jonquiljo
05-16-06, 11:45 PM
Jon, are you sure it's the Adderall that isn't cutting it? Maybe the Lexapro is too much and is negating the benefits of the Adderall in some way.Thats very possible - but I doubt my Dr. will know much about it. To be honest, there's more ADD experience on this board than in a whole hospital wing of Dr.'s. Thats the problem - most pay little attention, and are not that experienced to begin with. Of course I go to Dr.'s - and stay within the system - but experience has told me to never look for that glimmer of wisdom, as it usually just isn't there.

OK - I've had my cynical rant - and I'll go back in my hole.

panthoot
05-20-06, 05:05 PM
Wellbutrin is actually prescribed off-label for sexual side effects resulting from SSRIs, so there's a good chance it will help. I have two guy friends on SSRIs who've had ED problems, but don't want to stop taking them because they work so well for depression. They think wellbutrin is a godsend.

Galaxy Girl
05-20-06, 06:20 PM
Galaxy Girl, You are so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stopped taking prozac, and my adderall is working again. It took a few days though. I'm going to see if my doctor will let me try wellbutrin. I was taking 15 mgs of IR a day, and when I started the prozac I could take up to 40 mgs of adderall and still feel nothing. Life is back to normal now. However, I am dealing with the withdraw effects of the prozac.
Ann, that is very interesting. I hope you keep feeling better. I have found for myself that the SSRI meds really drag me down. Let us know what your doc says about trying Wellbutrin.

Good luck,
Gigi

Galaxy Girl
05-20-06, 06:23 PM
Thats very possible - but I doubt my Dr. will know much about it. To be honest, there's more ADD experience on this board than in a whole hospital wing of Dr.'s. Thats the problem - most pay little attention, and are not that experienced to begin with.
Jon, I know what you mean. Currently my meds are prescribed by our family doctor who, by her own admission, doesn't know much about ADD meds. So I do my own research and go in and tell her what I'd like to try. As long as my meds keep working okay, it's a fine situation. But if I run into problems, she won't be much help... and then I'll have to consult a pyschiatrist.

pudding
05-24-06, 08:22 AM
Just want to add :p that I also take Wellbutrin 150 and Adderal 10mg 2x and Clonidine. Clonidine was prescribed for my high blood pressure. Wellbutrin has been the only antidepressant that works for me. Seems to be a common thread, when SSRI's don't work for people, Wellbutrin usually does. The combination seems to be working pretty well, but I do still experience some heart racing at night especially - although I am able to sleep.

LittleD1981
05-28-06, 05:00 AM
I haven't read through this entire thread, as it's quite lengthy, and well, you know how us ADHDers are. :p But I just wanted to add that I take both Wellbutrin XL and Adderall. I've taken Wellbutrin (both SR and XL) on and off for years, but never at a dose as high as I'm at now. Right now I'm at the max of 450mg. My depression just wouldn't go away at 300mg, so we raised it to 450mg and that did the trick. I hadn't heard of Wellbutrin treating ADHD until seeing it here on this board, but now my experience has proven it as well. I haven't really had any real "test" situations to see how my restlessness is, but my concentration is definitely better. I cross stitch often and I can actually sit and work on it for about an hour without feeling edgy. But, of course, it's not perfect, so I'm still on the Adderall, 20mg twice a day. It works well for me. :)

boardtabitz
06-04-06, 12:46 PM
I have taken the wellbutrin and adderal xr. My doses were higher when the zoloft was in the mix. Right now I can't afford the wellbutrin and adderal so I stuck with just the adderal. I really miss the wellbutrin though.

Worried mama
09-17-11, 10:19 AM
I'm looking for help for my son. He is 19, he was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5. He has not taken any medication for years, but he really needs help! He is back in school and struggling so much. He also has anger, sleep, mood swing and anxiety problems! The doctor put him on prozac (paxil) for the mood swings and he said he felt better and he seemed better but as soon as he experienced the sexual side effects, he refuses to take it. I know that wouldn't have helped with ALL of his issues but it was a good start! Now I'm not sure what to do! Anyone have any suggestions???

sarahsweets
09-17-11, 01:50 PM
I'm looking for help for my son. He is 19, he was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 5. He has not taken any medication for years, but he really needs help! He is back in school and struggling so much. He also has anger, sleep, mood swing and anxiety problems! The doctor put him on prozac (paxil) for the mood swings and he said he felt better and he seemed better but as soon as he experienced the sexual side effects, he refuses to take it. I know that wouldn't have helped with ALL of his issues but it was a good start! Now I'm not sure what to do! Anyone have any suggestions???
Take him back to the doctor. What was his diagnosis? If he can't tolerate side effects he needs something else.

OneLovexx
01-25-12, 05:07 PM
I am take Cipralex 10mg my doctor told me it was the updated version of wellbutrin so its basically the same thing I'm also taking adderall 25mg. I was writing a exam today and when i started it i started to fell really sick and funny like i was going to through up. then i started to feel really high and wizzed though my exam. after the 2 hours i went home i felt really high it felt the exact same as being high on MDMA (pure ecstasy) i needed to move around i was talking fast i was really happy and loved everything and i was clenching my jaw ( side effect of MDMA) my friend at school even said my pupils were big.i was straight up ******. after a few hours of this i finally came down from this hight but still feel funny, once again the same feeling of coming down from MDMA and i have absolutely no desire for food. i know i took the right pills like it was not a street drug or anything.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!!! :confused:

BR549
01-25-12, 05:20 PM
I am take Cipralex 10mg my doctor told me it was the updated version of wellbutrin so its basically the same thing I'm also taking adderall 25mg. I was writing a exam today and when i started it i started to fell really sick and funny like i was going to through up. then i started to feel really high and wizzed though my exam. after the 2 hours i went home i felt really high it felt the exact same as being high on MDMA (pure ecstasy) i needed to move around i was talking fast i was really happy and loved everything and i was clenching my jaw ( side effect of MDMA) my friend at school even said my pupils were big.i was straight up ******. after a few hours of this i finally came down from this hight but still feel funny, once again the same feeling of coming down from MDMA and i have absolutely no desire for food. i know i took the right pills like it was not a street drug or anything.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!!! :confused:

Cipralex isn't the same as Wellbutrin. They are two totally different classes of medications. Both can treat depression, though. Only Wellbutrin, in some cases, is used to treat ADHD.

Cipralex, Escitalopram, is an SSRI. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. It's what we call Lexapro in the US. Wellbutrin (buproprion) is an NDRI. Norepinephrine Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor. They both work on different chemicals in the brain.

One thing to note, Wellbutrin can have stimulating effects, due to the increase of dopamine and norepinephrine. Cipralex doesn't affect those chemicals.

Not sure if your doctor is confused or simply doesn't understand the difference in antidepressants. Cipralex is in no way a newer version of Wellbutrin.

OneLovexx
01-25-12, 05:39 PM
Cipralex isn't the same as Wellbutrin. They are two totally different classes of medications. Both can treat depression, though. Only Wellbutrin, in some cases, is used to treat ADHD.

Cipralex, Escitalopram, is an SSRI. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. It's what we call Lexapro in the US. Wellbutrin (buproprion) is an NDRI. Norepinephrine Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor. They both work on different chemicals in the brain.

One thing to note, Wellbutrin can have stimulating effects, due to the increase of dopamine and norepinephrine. Cipralex doesn't affect those chemicals.

Not sure if your doctor is confused or simply doesn't understand the difference in antidepressants. Cipralex is in no way a newer version of Wellbutrin.

but is it bad that i got that messed up from it

BR549
01-25-12, 05:49 PM
It doesn't sound good. I'd call my doc, if I were you, and tell him what was going on.

I'd also be inclined to ask him why he thought Cipralex was the same as Wellbutrin and ask him what brought him to that conclusion.

OneLovexx
01-25-12, 05:58 PM
lol ok ill call him up on that thanks for the help :)

MD4you
10-22-12, 12:57 PM
I came to this website to look into mixing Adderall and Welbutrin. I am a 4th year medstudent and am on Adderall 30 mg XR. I take the IR sometimes late in the day PRN (as needed). I was not diagnosed and treated with ADD until 24 years old. I recently had some bad things happen in my life and think I may need an antidepressant as well. I recently had to go up to 30mg XR from 20 mg XR because I have to retake my board exam soon. I did notice that a maker of generic Welbutrin Teva Pharmaceuticals had to take their 300mg Welbutrin off the market due to the FDA not finding enough concentration in the blood stream of patients taking it compared to name brand. My wife also mentioned that the 150 mg Generic Welbutrin does not have the same effect as the name brand and she even tried doubling her dose with no luck either. I know the name brand is expensive, but it may be the only thing that has an effect on you. Also learn where your pharmacy gets its Welbutrin, Teva may be the only problem there. (Unfortunate because I am a shareholder) Thanks for your comments, they were helpful.

hollywood
11-11-12, 11:40 PM
Generic wellbutrin blows . All of them. Wtf

known_guy
11-12-12, 01:01 AM
I've taken Wellbutrin and Adderall together in the past. I cannot really think of any downside specific to the dual combination though, since my experience or recollection is occluded by having taken them in conjunction with several other medications (Zoloft, Remeron, Klonopin/Lyrica, Ritalin, Tenex, ...) so confounding variability applies.

hollywood
11-12-12, 09:22 AM
Not sure , may add tiny lex