View Full Version : Getting a job

Jammy
08-30-05, 06:25 AM
I've left college now and miraculously passed my course. Now i need to get a job. My constant screwing things up has left me basicaly scared of even talking to people in the real world that i don't know and I can't see how i'll hold down a job, so i've gone into total panic mode.

I would be so grateful if anyone has any advice/tips or anything that may be of use.

Thank you so much, Amelia.

Ichpuchtli
08-30-05, 05:33 PM
Are you scared to talk to strangers even like shop clerks. If so that is a disorder, I can't remember what is called but I saw a documentry on it, try and forget the past and move on see what you can achieve, you past collage. You should try getting a small temp. job.

Jammy
08-31-05, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the support. I can talk to shop clerks but I hate doing so and when I get the chance I avoid it. The thought of even going to an interview scares the hell out of me and then there's the fact that i'll be stuck in an office or something having to phone people and...*shock horror* organise things.

Mum's been on my back all morning to just go to an agency and it screws me up when something that should be so simple turns me into a HUGELY overwhelming task.

Ichpuchtli
08-31-05, 07:58 AM
Ok go see a phycatrist (brain doctor I don't think I spelt it right). There is something in my mind nagging that there is something about not talking to strangers. Good luck.

Jammy
08-31-05, 09:09 AM
Been there done that.
Just an anxiety caused my my failiures I guess.

I don't want to go on and whinge too much anyway, lol. Thank you lots.

Steven
03-13-06, 09:20 AM
Something I find really useful to do due to my ADD is to use temp agencies. Its really good as in my experience, I only get a certain amount of time before I get bored of something so I go to an office, get paid extra for the short notice of my appointment, am full of enthusiasm and everything, then before I get bored, I move onto another one

Perfect :D

AlexC
08-15-06, 01:04 PM
Amelia, Im almost exactly the same i think.. I found that I most likely have Avoidant Personality Disorder..( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant ) though im still on my 10-13 week (10 weeks in) waiting list to see a psychiatrist to diagnose me ADD.. so maybe i'll be diagnosed with that too. I am in the same position as you.. (although i failed 6th form college) I reeally want a job, but because of my avoidant nature i avoid just about anything unless im certain of not failing/being rejected. If only I had some Dexedrine already :mad:. Ive submitted a fairly ok CV to a few agencies for temp jobs but havent recieved a single call or anything. Im so fustrated that ive been meaning to get a job for months and months but now even though I am on holiday I still can't. Steven have you any advice for succeeding with agencies?
Many thanks
Alex

_sweetness_
11-23-06, 04:25 PM
I have found that getting a job is easy enough - it's keeping the job is the problem.
You need to single out your strengths from your weaknesses and focus on those. This way you will be aware of your limitations too.

buffalopc7
11-23-06, 05:09 PM
Its understandable that you feel some hesitation at this point; making the step from student to career is a milestone in one's life. You said your "screwing things up" has left you with some fear of talking with people and I looked at that statement a few times, because it really did hold a lot of feeling. Are you afraid that people will judge you or be critical of you if you make mistakes?
If I may suggest, if theres anything that has helped me in my life, its living a life "as if". While that doesn't necessarily make initial rational sense, in action it is extraordinarily powerful. If you notice people who we would evaluate as successful in some way, you will find that the ones who continue to be wonderfully successful in business, in relationships, in life, are those who don't allow the judgement of others to place a value on them. In other words, they go through their lives in a sort of happy ignorance that any external evaluation of them does not have a significant effect on their self-esteem. Making mistakes is one thing, and its normal. Judging someone because they have made a mistake is a way of devaluing them. Teaching them, guiding them past the mistake is very different. Its the acknowledgment that someone needs help, but doesn't pass judgment on them because they do.
Given those facts, its obviously impossible to control the actions and reactions of others, BUT we can certainly begin to work on how we allow those reactions effect us. There really isn't anything to lose by living your life "as if" you were already where you want to be, in terms of attitude, enthusiasm, etc.. With practice, it becomes a part of you and it builds your confidence by leaps and bounds.

I've left college now and miraculously passed my course. Now i need to get a job. My constant screwing things up has left me basicaly scared of even talking to people in the real world that i don't know and I can't see how i'll hold down a job, so i've gone into total panic mode.

I would be so grateful if anyone has any advice/tips or anything that may be of use.

Thank you so much, Amelia.