View Full Version : weighted blankets ?

speedo
08-30-05, 09:17 PM
I recently discovered that I can wrap myself snugly with a blanket when I am overloaded and reduce my stress levels a lot. This prompted me to order a weighted blanket.

My question is: Has anyone here had success using a weighted blanket ?

Me :D

sgolden5374
08-30-05, 10:29 PM
Speedo,

My daughter has issues with sensory overload and we were told to get her a weighted blanket (usually these are around 10% of the person's body weight). My daughter would require a 4 1/2 lb. blanket. At the time I couldn't afford one so I used an extremely HEAVY blanket we have and doubled it over. It was amazing how much better she felt laying under it and how much better she slept. So, yes we've had success!

speedo
08-30-05, 11:31 PM
That is encouraging. I weigh 178 pounds and ordered a 16 pound blanket. We shall see what happens.

Crazygirl79
08-31-05, 07:11 PM
A weighted blanket????...........that'd kill me sensory wise, I hate anything heavy!!

speedo
08-31-05, 08:23 PM
Crazygirl79 try it. The next time you are overwhelmed dim the room lights and wrap yourself snugly in a regular blanket and get comfy. Maybe take a short nap. It helps a bit.

I guess a stronger stimulation is sometimes more soothing than a weak one. *shrug*

Crazygirl79
09-06-05, 08:04 PM
I'll look into it Speedo!.....I'm sure I have SID

clawless
09-08-05, 03:25 AM
On one of our many visits to the occupational therapist with my son, it was suggested that to help him sleep we try buying him a sleeping bag to sleep in, which we have and it has worked quite well, he likes the feeling of being enclosed which helps him relax and sleep a little longer as he's not fidgeting so much, I wonder if the weighted blanket works the same way?

Crazygirl79
09-08-05, 07:27 PM
Are there any adult sufferers of SID/DSI??????????? if so please chat to me me as I need support and knowledge

speedo
09-08-05, 11:39 PM
I don't know if I have SID, but I have sensory issues. I am sure there are other adults who have similar troubles.

AbbyNormal
09-14-05, 12:27 AM
Weighted blankets are really helpful to children and adults in the autistic spectrum. Any possibilities that there is a little Asperger's Syndrome involved?
-- Abby

mctavish23
09-14-05, 12:37 AM
One of the way the brain receives feedback is thru the muscles and joints. It's called "proprioceptive (feedback)."

Sensory integration kids are forever leaning on you, back in the chairs, flopping across furniture, etc.

Seeking out that type of feedback is a way of trying to "balance" out the problem.

Weighted blankets would be one way to address that, as would be joint compression excerices

Keep in mind that Im not an OT and cant dx or treat Sensory Integration.

I do make it a regular part of my intake questions tho.

speedo
09-16-05, 08:35 PM
At present, I've been labeled high functioning. This could change, but it sure looks like something in the autism spectrum. ADHD with co-morbidities or bipolar have not been 100% ruled out for me yet.

Weighted blankets are really helpful to children and adults in the autistic spectrum. Any possibilities that there is a little Asperger's Syndrome involved?
-- Abby

speedo
09-16-05, 08:43 PM
Interestingly, I have difficulties getting to sleep for tactile reasons that are hard to explain. I often touch a wall with one hand or my foot and apply a little pressure so I can feel "secure" and get to sleep easier. Heavy blankets make me feel snug and secure, so I can get to sleep easier without those silly gymnastics.

One of the way the brain receives feedback is thru the muscles and joints. It's called "proprioceptive (feedback)."

Sensory integration kids are forever leaning on you, back in the chairs, flopping across furniture, etc.

Seeking out that type of feedback is a way of trying to "balance" out the problem.

Weighted blankets would be one way to address that, as would be joint compression excerices

Keep in mind that Im not an OT and cant dx or treat Sensory Integration.

I do make it a regular part of my intake questions tho.

Jaycee
09-17-05, 10:47 PM
McTavish Not all sensory kids are always leaning on you. My son has sever SID or SPD (Sensory processing Disorder) and does not lean. I just posteed some links to Sensory Issue today in the parenting sections.
Speedo.. I'd definitely look into the sensory issue. Heres a link to my other post in the parenting section which has a bunch of other links included.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21314

Another easy thing to make for when your watching TV is a body tube. Just buy yardage of swimsuit material and make sew it so that the opening has to stretch for you to get in. Make it long enough for your whole body. Then get in when watching TV or taking a nap. The compression is very soothing. I'd also get an Occupational Therapist to show you how to use Wilbarger Brushing on yourself. The method is a bit different for self admin than with children. But has helped my 5 yr old tremendously.

Bean bag chairs also give deep compression.

The 16 lb blanket is probably not heavy enough to be totally theraputic for an adult. The weight of the blanket is proportional to your weight and that is about what is used for a 7 yr old child. Those blankets are expensive but you can make one pretty easily by using wash sand or fish tank gravel and filling long tubes. You then take two blankets and sew on three sides and put velcro on the fourth. Sew baffels to put yur weight bags in and your good to go. I like using the fish tank gravel since it's already weighed and it's fairly clean. When the blanket gets dirty just open the velcro, slide out the tubes and wash.

The most common sensory issues that are co-morbid with ADHD tend to be...tactile sensitivity,visual, and auditory stimulations, and fine motor. proprioception problems are also common but they sometimes look very different than in an autism spectrum case.

Speedo I'd find and OT with SIPT certification or Sensory Integration International Credentials although some colleges are starting to offer it as a specialty for a Masters in OT.

speedo
09-18-05, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas Jaycee!! It is greatly appreciated.

McTavish Not all sensory kids are always leaning on you. My son has sever SID or SPD (Sensory processing Disorder) and does not lean. I just posteed some links to Sensory Issue today in the parenting sections.
Speedo.. I'd definitely look into the sensory issue. Heres a link to my other post in the parenting section which has a bunch of other links included.

Another easy thing to make for when your watching TV is a body tube. Just buy yardage of swimsuit material and make sew it so that the opening has to stretch for you to get in. Make it long enough for your whole body. Then get in when watching TV or taking a nap. The compression is very soothing. I'd also get an Occupational Therapist to show you how to use Wilbarger Brushing on yourself. The method is a bit different for self admin than with children. But has helped my 5 yr old tremendously.

Bean bag chairs also give deep compression.

The 16 lb blanket is probably not heavy enough to be totally theraputic for an adult. The weight of the blanket is proportional to your weight and that is about what is used for a 7 yr old child. Those blankets are expensive but you can make one pretty easily by using wash sand or fish tank gravel and filling long tubes. You then take two blankets and sew on three sides and put velcro on the fourth. Sew baffels to put yur weight bags in and your good to go. I like using the fish tank gravel since it's already weighed and it's fairly clean. When the blanket gets dirty just open the velcro, slide out the tubes and wash.

The most common sensory issues that are co-morbid with ADHD tend to be...tactile sensitivity,visual, and auditory stimulations, and fine motor. proprioception problems are also common but they sometimes look very different than in an autism spectrum case.

Speedo I'd find and OT with SIPT certification or Sensory Integration International Credentials although some colleges are starting to offer it as a specialty for a Masters in OT.

mctavish23
09-18-05, 10:23 AM
I didn't say they were ALL leaning on you, anymore that ADHD kids display ALL the symptoms.

It's one of several possible symptoms. These same kids rock back in chairs, "flop" across furniture and like to sit sideways in chairs;with their feet dangling over one side and their heads over the other.

Those are possible examples of seeking proprioceptive feedback.

speedo
09-18-05, 11:33 AM
You just described every 9 yeare old I have ever seen... :) :p :eek: :faint:

mctavish23
09-18-05, 11:51 AM
That's very true.

Just as one of the 15 operational definitons of ADHD is that it's a....."dimensional disorder of human behavior, in that almost everyone (across all cultures) displays some of these behaviors at some point in their lives"........ the same can be said for some of the SID symptoms.

Only an Occupational Therapist can diagnose SID.

OT is the only primary treatment that I personally have sever seen used; including the 2 times I went thru OT as an adult for SID.

For a child to get an OT referral from a physician, there must be some type of impairment or problem.

Therefore, not every kid who does those things has a problem; including SID. However, the ones that do will display those and other symptoms to a greater degree .

This is strictly anectdotal, but over the 21 1/2 + years here, I've seen a strong comorbidity between the two.

I regularly include a sensory screening as part of my Diagnostic Assessments,as that seems to be overlooked.

Just as an FYI, Dr Barkley pointed out at the Door County conference that the term...Sensory Integration Disorder was "inappropriate" because the originator of the theoretical construct Jean Ayers, has only had her research replicated by her own grad students.

I just smiled at that because whatever it is (or isn't called), I have it and on a bad day it can wreak havoc.

Thanks for the feedback.

ADDitives
09-20-05, 09:28 AM
i had heard of these blankets but wasnt sure how they worked. it makes sense now.

i sleep better with heavy blankets on. right now i have my doona (duvet), a thick cotton rug, and a thinner synthetic thing. some nights i even stick my fluffy thick synthetic (polar fleece type thing..) housecoat thingy over too.

i never worked out why until now, but in summer, i always need a blanket on me even if its too hot. a light blanket is no good though because i get caught up in it. i like to be wrapped up, and when i was a little kid, i would always tuck myself into the blankets in winter, so i was comletelely surrounded and heavily snuggled.

a very light blanket gives me a 'trapped' tangle feeling though.

i forgot what i was trying to say so hopefully i said it all.....

a weighted blanket sounds like a good idea, whether its a commercial one or you do something yourself.

Nova
10-03-05, 12:56 AM
I have heard of that theory, Speed. I think, whatever works to reduce stress, is always a great idea.
Nova

crazymama05
10-03-05, 03:03 PM
This is fascinating. I never knew anything about any of this stuff. Were might I find links to get more information on this sensory stuff. I cant sleep at night unless my feet are tucked in tight and then I gently rub them together, and I have a heavy blanket on top of me. I have to "tuck" myself in. Even if it is 80 degrees outside, I have to have a blanket....a heavy one.

Something else, were can I find these "weighted blankets?"

Jaycee
10-03-05, 03:11 PM
This is fascinating. I never knew anything about any of this stuff. Were might I find links to get more information on this sensory stuff. I cant sleep at night unless my feet are tucked in tight and then I gently rub them together, and I have a heavy blanket on top of me. I have to "tuck" myself in. Even if it is 80 degrees outside, I have to have a blanket....a heavy one.

This is a forum link to a post I did a while back that descibes sensory integration problems and gives a good reading source.

crazymama05
10-03-05, 03:54 PM
thanks so much Jaycee. I will get to work now and try to read.

Just for fun though, I have a real hard time reading the screen. The white of the backround is too white, and the words are too sharp. Even dimming my screen doesnt help. I get "floaters" in my eyes from the white screen. (dark spots or shadows that move about)

dreamcatcher4
10-06-05, 01:21 PM
I saw that some information posted here was incorrect as to how much weight a blanket should weigh to be of benefit.
The standard industry formula used by most OT's is 10% body weight plus one pound. So the person who weighed 178 pounds could start with a 19LB blanket. Also much depends on each person's need, if the blanket is being used as a sleep aid or for calming tool and the persons height and weight.
Much more information on weighted blankets can be found at the site below.

URL and email removed by Moderator...please see guidelines

Something else, were can I find these "weighted blankets?"

ggrozier
10-13-05, 11:03 PM
Crazymama, I have the same thing--like to have feet tucked in, rub them together, and feel much better when I have the blanket wrapped tightly around myself--even got up the other night to try to find a towel or something that would wrap around my stomach more tightly. Had never realized there might be a reason.

It's like everything else here--amazing, somewhat upsetting, and also reassuring to find out it's not just stupidity or something.

speedo
10-15-05, 11:03 PM
I have a denim jacket that I like to wear. It helps me to calm down.

speedo
10-15-05, 11:05 PM
I use a medium blue textured background for my computer desktop.
I also set the font to some thing large and eay to read.

ME :D

thanks so much Jaycee. I will get to work now and try to read.

Just for fun though, I have a real hard time reading the screen. The white of the backround is too white, and the words are too sharp. Even dimming my screen doesnt help. I get "floaters" in my eyes from the white screen. (dark spots or shadows that move about)

Imnapl
10-16-05, 12:49 AM
I love the Aqua user interface on my Mac computer and the lenses in my glasses are anti-glare. I find the Windows program on my daughter's computer very harsh.

stori813
11-11-05, 02:41 PM
I read this thread the other night before going to bed.
Thought it was interesting. I never heard of a weighted blanket.
I also thought I don't need one though.
Until I get in bed and I realize I'm laying there under a big heavy comforter.
Tucked in and pulled up under my chin. LOL
I'm going to rethink my first thoughts on this. :o

speedo
11-11-05, 05:38 PM
Interestingly enough the lady who makes the blankets says mine has shipped and I should have it in a few days.... I alos have a nice heavy , well-worn leather jacket that I like to wear...it makes me feel nice and snug..

speedo
11-21-05, 07:43 PM
My weighted blanket came, and I like it very much. Eileen did a great job making it. UPS says the box weighed 19 pounds. I have had one occasion to seriously use it after getting a tad overwhelmed, and it does really have a calming effect. It is a lot like wrapping up in an old fashioned heavy feather tic, or 4-5 hand made quilts. It is very snug and secure.

It is a little soon the see how beneficial it will be for me in the long run, but I view it as another "tool" to help me get by.

I'll have more to say about my experiences with it in the next few weeks.

Thanks again Eileen!

stori813
11-22-05, 03:16 AM
Cool speedo :)
I was wondering how you were doing with the new blanket.

Crazygirl79
11-22-05, 07:26 PM
Tell me more about the benefits of weighted blankets

speedo
11-22-05, 07:46 PM
The theory is that a weighted blanket can often have a calming effect for sensory defensive individuals who are feeling a tad stressed sensorally.

The idea is that the weight of the blanket probvides enough tactile stimulation that it calms the individual a bit.

For some they seem to work, for others, they don't.

My fav approach to "decompressing" from that crawly feeling I get from environmental stress is to dim the room lights and stretch out , and cover myself with the weighted blanket for a while, maybe even take a nap. It seems to help a little.

If I am somewhere where I can't do that, wearing a heavy leather jacket is a reasonable substitute.

I have also found a HOT shower to be calming. I've stopped doing that because I eventually realized that I might be stressed enbough that I won't know how hot it is... so watch the water temp if you use hot showers.

A hot tub seems like a wonderful idea...... :cool:

Crazygirl79
11-22-05, 07:57 PM
That sounds comforting....even though I hate the feel of anything heavy near me...lol, where do you get this weighted blanket thingy from???

speedo
11-22-05, 08:10 PM
There is a lady in Montanna who makes them. e-mail me privately and I will give you her contact info. You can do the same thing with a heavy blanket(s) or quilt, or heavy comforter.

That sounds comforting....even though I hate the feel of anything heavy near me...lol, where do you get this weighted blanket thingy from???

speedo
11-22-05, 08:18 PM
I suppose I could mention that you might message dreamcatcher4 about blanket questions. She makes them and is very helpful.

Crazygirl79
11-22-05, 08:26 PM
Speedo!

You now know my email address and I've sent you an email and you can tell me more about the blankets when you write back;)

Selena:)

Crazygirl79
11-22-05, 08:27 PM
Speedo!

I love the way you end a post with the word ME and that incredibly cheesy smiley face.....lol

speedo
11-22-05, 08:29 PM
Draga's first words to me were "Well Mr ME!"

Speedo!

I love the way you end a post with the word ME and that incredibly cheesy smiley face.....lol

Crazygirl79
11-22-05, 08:31 PM
Really!!.....and theres that cheesy smiley again;)

Draga's first words to me were "Well Mr ME!"

INaBOX
12-03-05, 02:53 AM
Has anyone mentioned wearing a weighted vest? Very common for kids with hyperactivities and Autism. You can either borrow one from an Occupational therapist; buy one (expensive I'm sure) or simply make one. These vests work best in school settings as it allows these children to stay calm and focussed as their body is meeting it's required needs. I use this method in our class. It works great. I'm also going to be making one for my son. Something funky and cute but effective. Cargo vests work great too. They're stylish and have many pockets. Stuff them with mini bean-bags and you're all set. (You don't need to stuff the back of these vests - just the fronts).

Marmalade_man
12-03-05, 03:13 AM
I recently discovered that I can wrap myself snugly with a blanket when I am overloaded and reduce my stress levels a lot. This prompted me to order a weighted blanket.

My question is: Has anyone here had success using a weighted blanket ?

I have never tried a specifically made weighted blanket but I do apparently get quite cold and use a very heavy combination of things that does keep me warm and helps me relax.

My sleeping arrangements are as follows:

- I sleep on a water bed with the heat on high (higher than most people could stand)
- I have a full set of sheets and at least two blankes and an insolated conforter on the bed.
- Under the conforter, I have two very heavy down Woods Artic brand sleeping bags good to -30 F on top of me. Each sleeping bag is folded double so I have 4 heavy layers of down bag on top of me, plus, a sheet, plus two blankets, plus a heavy comforter. I crawl in on top of the bottom sheet with all this stuff on top of me and sometimes am still a btt COLD but mainly comfy.

I think all this stuff would be as heavy as your weight blanket if not more. I find it very restful and have been sleeping great since starting on Ritalin in July. I still am a bit cold at times which I would think is impossible.

Best wishes,

Vic